Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Terminus
May 6, 2008
My crappy Chinese brand popup tent just got destroyed during my last trip* and I'm looking for something a little more sturdy. The Kelty Trail Ridge is catching my eye for my car camping and maybe light backpacking needs.
Any thoughts on the brand in general? It looks solid and I like the stargazing rain fly feature but I figured I'd get some opinions from here.

*I went camping during the little bits of hurricane Matthew we got last fall and the tent seemed ok enough, but when I unpacked it this year it stands up but even the most mild breeze knocks it back down. Popup tents... :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terminus
May 6, 2008
I was mostly interested in the durability which seems to be good. As for the size I was planning on getting the 3 person version just so it's a bit more roomy, plus I'm 5'6 so I usually have plenty of leg room anyway.

How are they in a storm? That previous tent in the hurricane conditions ended up with me waking up with part of my sleeping bag wet on a 55 degree morning, which I'll like to never repeat if I can help it.

Terminus
May 6, 2008
Looks like the REI Arete ASL 2 is on sale as well(50% off). Anyone have an option on it? I've been looking for a "good enough" 4 season tent for winter car camping.

Terminus
May 6, 2008
Glad I could help! After thinking on it I'm just gonna stick with my old Kelty Trail Ridge 3. I'm only taking it out one time this season if even that. The last time I took it out in the winter it shrugged off a thunderstorm that turned into sleet that turned into wet heavy snow over the course of day and a half with only a slight pole bend.

Terminus
May 6, 2008

Shankel Magnus posted:

I've got about a $20 dividend and the 20% off coupon for REI.

A friend of mine invited me to a regional Burning Man event in a couple of months. I've already got a Kingdom 4 tent, cheapo sleeping bag, a little cooler, hiking pack, and a camelbak. I was thinking about getting a Kingdom cot, or maybe one of the Mega mats that was mentioned a few posts back. Is there anyone who has been to one of these type events and knows if there is something glaringly obvious that I should be getting?

As a person who has probably been to too many of these I'd say whatever helps you get a good nights sleep would be best, so either the cot or the matt depending on preference. Easy packability when you leave is also a plus. Earplugs as well if you're a light sleeper. The music tends to stop at maybe 2 AM. Some events have quiet areas so your mileage may vary.
Flashlights and headlamps are useful as well. Porta potties don't tend to be well lit. Just be careful to keep it aimed away from people's eyes if you go for the headlamp option. Hippy mace is real.
Since it wasn't mentioned in you gear already a camp chair is also super useful. It's doubtful it will be travelling far so I'd go for comfort over portability.
Consider this to be car camping with some light hiking and you should be fine. Just don't be the guy in our camp that only brought 3 socks and then cooked two of them to a crisp trying to dry them next to the camp fire.