Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Pennywise the Frown posted:

So I've been thinking. All I do is car camping (so far, I REALLY want to backpack) but all I have is backpacking gear. Every time I camp I say it's to "test" out the backpacking gear that I never use for backpacking. I think it's time I buy stuff to camp in the most comfortable way I can. That'll get me outside more.

Have you checked out any of the Kettle Moraine stuff? There's plenty of rustic sites along the Ice Age trail through there, the trails are pretty easy going, so it's a good first step towards getting the gently caress into middle of nowhere. There's also cell coverage through pretty much the entire area, which is nice.

Also, as others have said, there's nothing wrong with car camping. Getting outdoors owns, regardless of how far from other people you're sleeping and pooping. Another option for an inbetween level are all the hike back sites in the state parks. I can't think of any in the southeast near you, but places like Point Beach, Buckhorn, and a pile of them up north have sites maybe a mile or two from the parking lot.

----

I currently have a hefty discount for Osprey through work, so I'm looking to pick up a new backpacking bag. This year, I'm only planning a couple 1-2 night hikes, but want to do Painted Rocks on Lake Superior next year, and that's 5-6 nights. The Aether AG looks like a good fit for me, but any suggestions for 60L vs 70L vs 80L? Also, anyone have hands on time with a Farpoint 75L? I don't think I've seen that pack before, and the style looks more like a travel pack rather than a backpacking pack.

Edit: would a 50-55L pack be too small?

Casu Marzu fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Aug 5, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Totally depends on the rest of your gear. Thats my pack size and I can go roughly 5-6 days with all my food and gear in that size pack. If water isnt a concern and you dont have to bring a big bear canister you should be able to fit everything in that size pack.

What sort of tent, sleeping system, and stove setup would you be using out of curiosity?

I believe my girlfriend has an REI half dome 2 person, which I guess brings up another point I need to consider. Hiking with two people that can share a tent means we can distribute things we don't need doubles of between packs.

Current sleeping bag is an old synthetic 35F bag which has been fine for the time of the year we camp. It's something like 2.5lb and 11L compressed.

Stove will just be a MSR pocket rocket and fuel.

Talking this through, I feel like a lot of our stuff isn't super heavy, but isn't the most streamlined, so maybe a 60L pack and trying to pack as minimal as possible might be best.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Thanks for talking me through a new pack. Just grabbed an Osprey Atmos 65. Also 5 pairs of Osprey branded wigwam wool socks that were on close out and $6 a pair after my discount. :eyepop:

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

FAUXTON posted:

I bought an Atmos 65 as well and backwoods sent me 2 tracking numbers :ohdear:

Woo free stuff.

That reminds me, we just ordered a new soft top for the jeep and the company sent us two. One with a tracking number and one that just randomly showed up two days later. They are adamant they did not send a second one so I guess we're just gonna sell it and recoup most of the cost on the one we did actually buy. :confuoot:

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Pham Nuwen posted:

Uhhhhh what kind of jeep? :ninja:

Uhhh, it's my girlfriend's so I'm not 100% sure, but I believe it's a TJ

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Pham Nuwen posted:

Ah :rip:, I've got a CJ-7, been thinking about getting a top but dang they're pricey. I'm just sort of watching for sales at this point.

:rip: Good luck. They are stupid expensive. We just bit the bullet with the extra Trump Bucks we got.

Anyone have recommendations for a not super expensive knife to toss in a pack? I have a buck knife my dad bought me when I was like 12, and it works fine, but it's been sharpened so many times I'm starting to lose actual knife mass at this point. Folding or fixed blade is fine, something simple and strong enough to handle batoning wood if needed would be preferred over a multitool situation.

Edit: Recs for foods? For car camping/overnight hikes I really like the retort pouches like Tasty Bites boil in the bag Indian dishes or such like. For multiple nights, that's kind of a lot of excess weight, so I'm looking for something that's cheaper than the freeze dried Good-To-Go packs that I really like but are kinda pricy and out of stock everywhere/

Casu Marzu fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Aug 10, 2020

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

Unfortunately her head absorbs too much sun

:same: I wanna move somewhere permanently cold

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Rolo posted:

Throwing my hat in to say my REI Rainier jacket is effective, cheap and easy to pack.

Yep, I have the same jacket and it gets the job done and was cheap as heck.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

:homebrew: :homebrew: :homebrew:

Osprey Atmos 65 and an Alps Mountaineering sleeping pad and bag. Even after my discount, I spent way more than I should have. :negative: New gear day is so much fun though.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Sleeping pads! I've had an Alps sleeping pad for the last ten years and got a lot of great use out of it.

I just upgraded to one of these that I found on sale: https://seatosummitusa.com/products/comfort-light-insulated-mat
I can't believe how light it is and how small it packs up. And you can actually lie comfortably on your side as advertised. Look how small!

:eyepop: it's so tiny!

I was trying to convince myself I could justify paying that much for a sleeping pad, but all three purchases there came out to be equal to or less than pretty much all the super lightweight pads. :negative: Why do I have so many expensive hobbies?

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Nitrousoxide posted:

I finally got a proper day hiking / backpacking backpack with a waist belt and chest strap and loaded it up with all the normal gear I would usually bring. I feel like I'm carrying like half the weight I was before. This is amazing.

Srsly. I dropped 20ish lbs into my new pack yesterday and after getting it fitted, it's more comfortable to walk around in and feels lighter than my cheap backpack I use for my laptop.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Any recommendations for a cooler for car camping? Yeti prices are :eyepop:, even with a hefty discount through my work. I don't need anything as insanely insulated as a Yeti, just something that'll keep perishables cold for 2-3 days max.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Sab669 posted:

Anyone have suggestions for a jacket that isn't too bulky to wear in the winter time for North-East US? I've just been wearing my Burton coat for years, which is extremely warm and great for layering, but it's so big and bulky. Don't necessarily need something that heavy duty when I'm just driving to work or for casual hiking (2-4 hours tops) around in the winter.

No one ever seems to put the temperatures for their region/use in product reviews :shrug: Average Lows here in Buffalo in February are 19º according to a quick Google search (which is 5-10º higher than I would have guessed) but with windchill and such it can easily get below 0.

I've had decent experience with LL Bean ultralight 850 down/synthetic down jackets as mid layer. With a decent base layer and a hard shell for high wind, I've stayed warm through some pretty cold WI hikes. Those jackets aren't the cheapest, but I've found em off season on sale/ebay for a decent price.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

The pocket rocket knockoffs aren't terrible. A friend has one from amazon for like $16 and it works fine.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

MMD3 posted:

the good news is being patient means I can use a pro-deal site I have access to and get the tent for 40% off.

:hfive: Pro deals are the only way I can afford to kit myself out these days.

MMD3 posted:

Now I'm curious what the best water bladders are now, particularly looking for ones that don't taste like rear end. I have a 3L camelbak that is ~8 years old and still serving me well but it doesn't taste great. I'm tempted to go Camelbak again just to ensure it fits in the camelbak brand daypack I use all the time.

I picked up a osprey branded reservoir and I kinda like that it has a magnet attachment for the bite piece and that there's an easy access quick disconnect so I can pull it out to fill without having to pull the whole hose out.

Casu Marzu fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Aug 21, 2020

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Building up a med kit for backpacking, maybe 2-3 days max. I think I have all the essentials, but any y'all have something oddball or not super obvious that you recommend packing?

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

sb hermit posted:

Diabetes runs in the family :smith: but at least I can stave it off by hiking. We've all been staving it off by hiking. Thanks for the tip!

Nice. But they come in packs of 60 for $12. Anyone (with prime) want to split a set? I only need, like, one. Maybe two.

I shoot film so I have plenty lying around. If you wanted to PM me your address, I can toss a couple in the mail in the next week or so, whenever I venture into the outside again.

---

Re: med kits

I picked up one of the mountain adventure medical kits if only because the pack itself folds up nicely and I really like the pocket organization. I've swapped out a lot of stuff over time for my own use type.

One thing I really like to carry around that I don't think I've seen mentioned is small-ish patches of tegaderm/saniderm. They're waterproof sterile bandages that I really like because once you clean the wound/abrasion/cut/hotspot and slap it on, it flexes really well, adheres super strong, but the adhesive is still gentle and doesn't cause much irritation.

It's especially really nice for abrasions or cuts on my hands or something, because it's a tough barrier that flexes, so I still have pretty much 100% movement still.

Also, the bigger sheets are great for tattoo healing.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Quixotic1 posted:

I slept with the rainfly off my half dome 2+ and awoke due to some waterdrops falling on my face and drops and small puddles on the inside tent. I was sleeping maybe 75ft from the lake and there was light fog over it in the morning. If I had the rainfly on would that have prevented the inside build up?

Probably. I had the same thing happen in the Badlands where I woke up to pea soup fog and puddles inside the tent. The tents that did put up the rain fly didn't have any issues.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Anyone have a particular cheap axe they like?

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

armorer posted:

Any fiskars axe I've used from their line has been really good. That would be the maul, splitting axe, and hatchet. I think they have a few other intermediate sizes as well. What's your use case?

PokeJoe posted:

2nd fiskars, I have a hatchet I like from them and a friend has a big axe they like.

Kinda figured Fiskars would be a good bet

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Business of Ferrets posted:

I think the real value comes from things like the air mattresses that have both camping and home use. Likewise, “non-camping/backpacking” items that fit well in that niche often are super affordable and totally adequate.

What are some favorite “regular life” items that have found their way into everyone’s backpacking setups? Or gear from other sports?

Flipflops or crocs if I'm going to be hanging out at the site for more than just eating and sleeping. Also my Kindle.

---

Anyone in here use a Garmin InReach or another emergency beacon/gps thing? My parents have been asking me for 5 months now what I want for Christmas. We're planning a lot more trips outside of cell reception, and I'm thinking it might not be a bad idea to have a PLB/satellite messenger thing. Costco has the InReach SE on sale right now for $279.00 and that seems like a pretty good deal.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Verman posted:

Two or three pages back I think we were just discussing PLBs.

Heyo, I went back too far and didn't keep reading far enough. Seems like a good enough idea to have it around, especially since it's free.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

charliebravo77 posted:

Important note: a PLB (distress beacon that only calls in the cavalry) doesn't require costs to maintain outside of eventually getting the battery replaced, an inReach or similar device (two-way satellite messaging and SOS service) does require a monthly fee for service.

Word. The InReach month to month doesn't seem like a bad price for possibly breaking a leg or getting chomped on by a bear and not dying a slow miserable death.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Business of Ferrets posted:

LOL imagine harvesting the obscure inreach text addresses and marketing to companies as “now you can reach your audience no matter where they are.”

:cursed:

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

I haven't completely set stuff up, but I've def unpacked and unrolled garage sale stuff just fine.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

xzzy posted:

Salomon don't have anything with vibram soles, do they? Is their Contagrip comparable?

Because my grip confidence with vibram is so high I'll probably never wear anything that isn't at least that good.

I've never had any complaints about grip w/ my Salomons.

I am a huge Salomon stan. I love both the Quest 4D and the X Ultra GTX boots. Neither breathe the best so my feet are a bit warm, but they feel amazing on my feet and they've been surprisingly durable, too.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

So I was hoping my local REI would have bear canisters for rent, but apparently they were planning on it, then covid and now :shrug:

Since it looks like I'm going to be buying, anyone have thoughts/recommendations on canister versus bag? It's for two people for a long weekend's worth of food.

We're not going to a super high traffic area, so bears are not likely to be habituated to people and their food. I haven't used a bag before, but outside of being somewhat lighter and more customizable to pack, it seems like a canister is still the way to go?

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

xzzy posted:

Read up on the local requirements. Canisters are the near-universal first choice but there are areas where they've been banned (somewhere in the Appalachians I think, one bear has figured out how to open them and is passing the skill to her cubs).

Reviews for bags say they tend to be pretty bad at actually stopping bears, but they are a lot easier to pack.

There's no official requirement for this trip. I also spoke to the local ranger up there and his response was "eh, might not hurt".

We're prob gonna do hikes further into bear country in the future, so I guess I might as well just grab a decent canister.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Math You posted:

I ultimately chose the inreach mini.

To those who have one.. how durable do you find it? Tough enough to clip to a bag or do you stuff it in your socks and put it in a dry bag?

I accidentally chucked my inreach explorer down a 15 foot cliff and it's working fine still.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Anyone have recommendations for a Yeti-type cooler that isn't insanely expensive? I can get a pretty significant discount going through Yeti's Field Guide program, but I would rather not have to click through a couple hours worth of modules if there's something almost as good but cheap af out there.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

drat, there's a lot of good options available.

poeticoddity posted:

Something to keep in mind with Yeti products is that they're theft targets because of the pricetag/conspicuous consumption thing.

And this is something I never even thought about, but yeah I can see that being a problem.

FogHelmut posted:

Do you mean like "bear proof" or do you mean like just holds stuff cold for a long time?

Something sturdy w/ a latching lid would be nice. I've had a couple colemans pop open pretty easily before and avoiding that would be dope.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

:lol: last week camping a friend brought a cheapo Ozark Trail tent and everyone had a good laugh. But, it looked pretty slick and ya know what? For $35 this is a pretty dopeass car camping tent. I nabbed the last one at our local Walmart today and this is gonna be pretty great for luxury camping in a campground this fall.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

FCKGW posted:

I have a nice backpacking tent but I also have a $30 Ozark Trail tent that I use nearly as much for backyard camping with the kids, goofing off inside the house or taking to the beach/park where some shade and storage is wanted. A cheap tent you don't need to baby is a great investment.

Heck yeah. I'm super excited to have a tent big enough to fit an air mattress in.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

DapperDraculaDeer posted:

I know its a stool rather than a chair with a proper back but I have one of these and its pretty awesome: https://www.amazon.com/GCI-Outdoor-PackSeat-Portable-Camping/dp/B0015OYXY4

The legs are basically heavy duty tent poles so they can quickly splits in half. Im a poorly postured nerd who tends to lean forward rather than back when sitting anyways so it works great for me. Ive also sat for multiple hours in it while hunting and been surprising comfortable the whole sit.

Got one of these and they're p comfy and lightweight.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

I'd add Alps Mountaineering onto the list of brands. It kinda slots itself between the super cheap stuff and REI.

Their tents are pretty quality materials, but usually not the lightest technology. My backpacking tent is a 2 person Alps Mountaineering and it's been great for the price. You can find em on sale a lot on Steep and Cheap.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Head Bee Guy posted:

How can I properly clean these so i don’t get like a staph infection or something?

Hottest fire you can get

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

liz posted:

So I’m going on my first backpacking trip Labor Day weekend! I opted to try an REI trip since I don’t know anyone with backpacking experience and just wanted to try it out.

I have some hiking gear/clothing already but need recommendations on sleeping bag and pads for backpacking. I already decided on the Osprey Aura 65, but if I could get it used even better! Any other advice or tips for first timers?

Since you're going on a REI Trip, maybe take a look at what your local store may have available for rent. They tend to have some pretty decent equipment available for someone like you that wants to dip their feet in.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

FogHelmut posted:

The Coleman Sundome 6 kept us dry through the thunderstorm last night. And warm. A little too warm for me.

However, looking for recommendations on a family size tent (6 person or more) with great ventilation and a vestibule.

How much cash are you willing to drop?

Edit: and also how heavy and annoying to assemble are you willing to go? There's a pile of 6+ person tents with vestibules, but they're typically quite a production to put up and take down.

Casu Marzu fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Jul 19, 2021

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

FogHelmut posted:

Should I just buy the travel trailer then?

If you already had long term plans for it, and you have a tow vehicle, heck yeah. :v: I think if I ever got to the point where I needed/wanted that kind of space on the regular, I'd prob upgrade to a teardrop and a screened shelter to put up next to it.

highme posted:

Or go with the REI Kingdome in a 6 or 8 person configuration.

This is prob the best tent answer. Ain't cheap, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

OSU_Matthew posted:

Speaking of sale stuff, the Nemo Stargazer recliner chair is on sale if anyone is looking for an awesome car camping chair

Bought one off Mossejaw to try it out, loved it so much bought a second at REI. This thing is seriously cool as frig and feels super sturdy... Can't wait to take it out do some actual stargazing with it!

I tried one of those out at REI today and almost died getting in and back out, but it was hella comfy while I was hanging in it.