Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I used my 20% on another pair of merrell moabs, the comfiest and most versatile shoe I've ever owned. Then after wearing them a couple days and kicking them off into my normal shoe dumping point, it registered that I've been doing this for at least six years. Probably longer, I'm pretty sure I had a fourth pair that got thrown out and I get two years out of a pair. Bought them at first for day hikes and loved them so much they turned into my dailies.

I feel like spiderman in these things, they stick to everything I walk on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

khysanth posted:

I used the 20% off repeatedly (as long as it is a separate transaction, you can use it every time) to buy a bunch of mountaineering gear. New crampons, boots, gaiters, helmet.

Works on backcountry.com too.

Though now everyone has to wait a year to try it! :v:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Rolo posted:

7 peanut butter and jelly sandwiches and a cold beer.

Pita shells are a bit easier because you can buy smaller packs and they're a little more structurally sound. :v:

The wheat ones taste just like normal bread too.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Buy whatever rei has on their little hat kiosk that has a wide brim all the way around and won't get destroyed when you cram it in a bag.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Does that hat come with contract to carry around a trowel at all times?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I had a pair of Newports for a while, they gave me horrible blisters on any walk longer than a mile. But I'm blister prone if I don't wear socks so it could just be me.

Wonderful sandals otherwise though. :v:

Well except for the part where it's impossible to get a pebble out of the toe box without taking them off.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

There's an icon on the side of the can telling you this too. :v:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yeti makes a good product with even better marketing. Ignoring the price there's nothing wrong with the brand, but they aren't light years beyond everyone else (thermodynamics sayin hell no to that).

Then once you do compare the price tags Yeti gets really unattractive. But that marketing I mentioned? Price don't matter when everyone is convinced you're the best.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Because some people place a lot of value in having a flashy high end name on their gear!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Do not under any circumstances forget the bag of marshmallows, chocolate, and graham crackers. Also get a couple campfire sticks.

You can't legally describe anything you're doing as camping unless you have these items, that's how important they are.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Verman posted:

Also, those reusable freezer packs that come in the blue apron and ship to home meal services. Those things work great because they stay frozen for a really long time and they are reusable. They also don't cause a pool of water when they thaw but they may leak due to the packaging over time so you might want to double bag them with a ziplock. Luckily the inside goo isn't toxic or harmful so you can just rinse it off.

They can seep their contents out over long periods, I had a couple I left in the cooler through the winter and they had oozed impossible to clean crap all over the inside.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Learning the Ian Knot (not the secure one) changed how I do my daily shoes too. I don't think I can even remember how to do the traditional hoop-loop-swoop thing we all were taught as kids.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

+1 for the msr pot. Simple as it gets and there's no guilt if it gets dented or scratched because it's relatively cheap.

My only dislike would be the plastic bowl, measuring water sucks because it's hard to see the markers and they don't have per ounce increments.

But basically everyone is using a PR so you can't go wrong there either.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Did you look at the Mammut Trion line? They have a big front access flap and its pretty popular with photographers, real easy to get big crap in and out. Biggest downside is no real adjustability.. you can't raise/lower the shoulder straps for example.

I have the most average body type possible so it fits me perfectly and I love it. I've maxed out at around 35 pounds though so can't speak to how well it takes really heavy loads.

AtlasPacks is another brand to look in to. They're a botique label but are targeted at photographers and they get pretty solid reviews.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

My pillow is the venerable thermarest trekker pillow. Spare clothes, empty stuff sacks, anything that's vaguely soft gets crammed in there. Not perfect but I'm not super sensitive to pillow quality so it's been fine.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

If a job like that opens up that is exclusively in the rocky mountains, give me a call. :v:

It's always hard to balance out the merits of "making money" and "seeing stuff" but at this point in my life it reallly feels like I hosed up taking a desk job.

xzzy fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Aug 5, 2019

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The vault is also a great stool and a fine place to store random poo poo in the car (spare batteries, extra first aid supplies and nalgene bottles for me)

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Dangerllama posted:

I’m confused. You guys are bear canistering when car camping?

That seems…unnecessary?

Not for bear protection, it's just convenient storage device that is also useful when backpacking in bear country. So it usually gets tossed into the car.

Everywhere I've been keeping food in the car is sufficient to satisfy local authorities.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

No because I tend to take fresh batteries on my adventures. If they're old enough to leak they were gonna get me in trouble out in the woods anyways.

Or if they were cheap enough to leak when new.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Set up a 100 meter perimeter around your camp with tripwire rigged to stadium lights. When a bear approaches you gotta turn that patch of forest into the surface of the sun.

This may require a few extra trips up and down the trail to haul in the lamps and power source.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Hook them up to a sled and hop on, let them do the hiking for you. I've heard they excel at this!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Rolo posted:

Use it as an excuse to make a huge rear end egg, potato, meat breakfast. Wash it down with an ice cold beer because you brought a big rear end cooler.

Even better, for long road trips get a thermoelectric cooler. Then you don't even need ice!

I've had a Dometic one for a few years and it's super useful. When I'm not vacationing it goes into my office at work so I don't have to rely on the communal fridge.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Brick of ramen, half cup of freeze dried veggies, packet of tuna, and a bunch of your favorite hot sauce.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

MREs are heavier and take more space because they aren't dehydrated. You pop open the pouch and eat. Or heat it up if you can.

In some ways that makes them a better meal, especially if you really hate freeze dried stuff, but they also are designed to sit on the shelf for five years (and are probably edible for longer than that) so there are a lot of preservatives involved.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I don't think MRE's are that bad, but they have a "reputation" and it gets parroted by nearly everyone. It's been a long time since I've had one though.. like 20 years. But I remember really liking the spaghetti and meatballs ones my dad snuck home from work. And the miniature branded condiments like the tabasco bottles were super cool to me.

I wouldn't want to live on them for weeks at a time, but that's true for freeze dried food too. Both approaches have their upsides and downsides so it depends on what problem you're trying to solve.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Inceltown posted:

Probably the only thing that the USA has that holds appeal to me is the amount of instant beans etc you can get. I need to go to a speciality store to just get regular old black beans. The instant bean options you have are mind blowing.

Cannot confirm, I had to order my instant beans from amazon because I couldn't find any at my local grocery stores. Maybe it's a regional thing and instant refried beans just aren't popular in Illinois.

Instant rice is super easy to get though.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

chitoryu12 posted:

Yes, I post in there as well. Camping is the only side of this event that I have virtually no experience in.

What would you recommend for hot meals that fit in a 1 gallon ziplock?

You could fit a week's worth of that beans and rice recipe that was linked above in a gallon bag (minus water).

A brick of ramen, half cup of dried veggies and a foil packet of tuna is another popular recipe.

Or just buy some premade cook in a bag meals that any outfitting store will sell (though there's better brands available online). All they need is heat and water.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Packit Gourmet is amazing.

Their ramen rescue and their kickin' chicken wraps are meals I could eat at any time, not just on the trail. The corn chowder and the bean and cheese burritos are good options too.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Chard posted:

That said I think some of the meals that *also* require tortillas or something else are a bit overpriced, and have not tried them - tuna packets are just so much easier and cheaper.

They do and I was pretty annoyed by it at first but the wife bought some so we had to eat em!

Trip report: totally worth it. Stash some tortillas in an opsak and get an awesome meal. Tortilla chips work great too but are obviously gonna get ground into powder in a backpack.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The trashbag wasn't nearly as funny as heading off to war with a jansport backpack.

"Thanks for letting me borrow your backpack kids, don't worry it'll be clean and ready for school by Monday."

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Alternative take: pita shell with pb&j.

The shells are a bit more durable than normal bread so survive being in a backpack better and it tastes almost identical.

But tortillas are great too. I'm just offering options!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

If the daytime temps are above freezing, it's unlikely you'll be growing ice cubes. Especially if you're running the car's heater at all.

If it's sitting parked for a couple days and it's always below 32F you might have issues but it depends on a lot of things, like insulation, how much sunlight hits the car through the day, wind speeds, etc.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

If you're really worried, fill the bottles with hot tap water. The modern crop of vacuum sealed bottles will keep it steaming for almost a full day, and it'll be lukewarm for far longer.

(I always bring hot water for my cooking on road trips even in nice weather, it reduces boil times!)

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I got my wife a long spoon because she was unhappy with eating out of cook-in-bags with a normal sized spoon!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Get a thicker mat? That's about all you can do.

Air mattresses will naturally get thin at the pressure points and thicker everywhere else so there's not much you can do about that except maybe inflate it better. Or go foam.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Jetboil is the "best" if you want water hot fast, there's a reason everyone is using them.

But I have no issues with my pocket rocket and a cheap foil wind screen I found on amazon.. anything that makes heat will work fine so you need to decide what features you value and go from there.

(pick from price, size, weight, time to boil)

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

But the alternative is a legion of annoying buzzing poo poo barging through the door every time you enter/exit the tent and getting trapped with you in a closed space.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I only bother if it's pissing buckets for hours. A drizzle will dry before it soaks through to any of your stuff.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Is anyone out there making quilts with the inner surface a more cloth like material? I have one from hammock gear that I'm otherwise super pleased with, but in warmer weather I sleep in only shorts and the plastic clingy feel of the nylon on skin is miserable. If there was some ultralight cotton type material out there I'd be all over that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I maintain that if you want to get alone this summer, BLM territory is the place to look. Especially if you're into the southwest, but Idaho and Wyoming have good spaces too.

Obviously there are still popular spots under BLM management but there are vast chunks of land out there that will have no trails and no people.

(and no safety net if something goes wrong, so make sure to pack the inreach)