Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

FogHelmut posted:

Private campgrounds seem to be mostly available even on short notice. Any tips for state/national parks? Book 6 months in advance, I imagine?

Definitely. We go to Sequoia every Labor Day (admittedly a popular weekend for booking) and we book our site within minutes of it opening up online ~6 months ahead of time.

For local SoCal camping, you should consider heading up to LA then taking the 2 North up the Angeles Crest Highway into the Angeles National Forest/San Gabriel National Monument.

None of the campgrounds have reservations so they are all first-come. Most weekends you can find a spot if you get up there early on Saturday, but it's safer if you go Friday night.

Wife and I prefer Chilao Campground or Buckhorn (fills up more quickly than Chilao). Horse Flats is good too but there is no water so bring plenty with you.

I have a friend that lives in Murrieta and likes to camp at Palomar Mountain as well.

khysanth fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Jun 16, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

quote:

I have a Sawyer Mini and have used it to filter water for 2 people on several short (2-4 day) [backpacking] trips. It works great. I carry a few [AquaMira] drops as a backup in the extremely off chance that my filtration system breaks, but I've never needed them.

Get these

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

Andrew Skurka posted on reddit and said there are many times he doesn't treat water at all (in CO and the CA Sierra). I never knew people did this... I guess it's probably safe most of the time? Still seems like a silly risk.

How do you decide whether or not to treat water?

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

FogHelmut posted:

Give it a 3" lift, AWD, and roof rails.

So an Outback/Forester!

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

Leaving tomorrow for my first solo wilderness backpacking trip in a long time. Just two easy days/nights. Wife meeting me at the end to drive me back home on Sunday.

Doing the first two sections of the Silver Mocassin Trail. Here's my map:

https://caltopo.com/m/EH41

e- oops didn't mean to post in the gear thread. Here's my lighterpack link I guess!

https://lighterpack.com/r/d1d26h

khysanth fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Aug 17, 2017

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

Shachi posted:

I see the Kelty Cosmic Down 20 recommended a lot online so I think I might go that direction but as for a sleeping pad I'm lost. As soon as I settled on something I learned more about R value on pads. I guess my question is: Is R value on your pad extremely important or is this something that can be supplemented with something like a foil E-blanket underneath? I was looking into a Nemo Astro I've seen them online as low as 40 and 50 bux

The Cosmic Down is a solid choice.

Re: R-value: for three season camping, R 1-3 is recommended. For winter camping, you'll want 4+. One thing to keep in mind is that R-value is additive.

I have a Big Agnes Air Core (3"+ thick/inflatable) with a 1.0 R-value. I use this + my Cosmic Down almost all year. If I do any winter camping, or if the temps are dropping into the 40s, I'll bring along my Therm-A-Rest RidgeRest SOLite Sleeping Pad (2.8 R-value) and put that underneath my inflatable, effectively having 3.8 R-value insulation underneath me.

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

My foot is fractured and I can no longer take a hike for some weeks/months. I'm not sure how I will cope. :(

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

OSU_Matthew posted:

Condolences, that really sucks. Could you try cycling instead?

No, it's too painful to put any weight on the foot. :(

Going to use these weeks of rest to start planning a Tahoe Rim Trail thru-hike with the wife next Summer.

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

OSU_Matthew posted:

Speaking of snow, what do you all wear pants wise for winter backpacking? I've always worn my nylon hiking pants over a light thermal underwear layer, but last year I nearly froze my dick off when the temperatures dipped into the negatives for the whole trip and I'd like to get something more substantial like snow pants.

I'm super happy with my top half, it's just my legs that leave a lot to be desired.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Tectop-Outdoor-Down-Pants-PW7794/32825039409.html

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

OSU_Matthew posted:

Can anyone recommend me a good lightweight tent that uses trekking poles for support?

I normally hammock camp 99% of the time, but I'll be going out to the Grand Canyon here in a few months so I was wondering if there was anything decent tent wise that would be <2-3 pounds. I've currently got a bivy that's 14 ounces, but I suspect a tent wouldn't be all that much more in terms of weight.

I can recommend a few. Are you looking for a 1 or 2 person shelter, single or double walled, and single or double trekking pole supported?

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

OSU_Matthew posted:

Ideally I was looking for something along the lines of the Zpacks Duplex tarp shelter. I'm 6'4", and I'd like to believe that someday my girlfriend will join me on a trip, so my thought was to get something theoretically capable of accommodating two people, or at least one tall person because realistically I'd probably get her a hammock setup so I guess that's a moot point to look for in a tent.

I just want something with a bugnet connected to a bathtub floor, and rainfly. I almost always have two trekking poles, so one or two pole supported is perfect.

I'm just curious what the favorite stuff is out there in terms of tents in 2017.

The Duplex is the darling of 2017 but you pay a huge premium for the Zpacks brand and for the fabric (DCF/Cuben). Unfortunately there aren't a ton of comparable 2P, single-walled, trekking pole supported shelters. The Duplex will set you back $600 before tax and ultimately weighs in around 23-25oz after you factor in guylines and stakes.

The best alternative (and the one I would likely get) is the Gossamer Gear The Two. The bathtub floor is a 10D silnylon and the tarp is a 7D. This tent (and The One) have survived many people's thru-hikes without durability issues. $289 and 29-31oz total. The deep bathtub and the angle of the walls at the head/foot mean you'd probably find it comfortable at 6'4".

If you like to calculate it, it's about $30/oz saved to opt for the Duplex... on the really high end for most people.

Another option I would consider is the Six Moon Designs Lunar Duo Explorer. On sale until 12/31 for $260 (reg. $325). It's a little heavier than the others at 41oz, but is generally regarded as one of the roomiest shelters for 2P and a palace for one tall hiker.

One more option is the TarpTent MoTrail. This is a front-entry shelter however, which isn't everyone's cup of tea. Costs $259 and weighs in at 34oz. You'd have plenty of room with the vertical end walls.

Personally I'm 6'3" and went with the SMD Haven Tarp and NetTent combo. I prefer the modularity and breathability of a double-walled shelter. I can just bring the tarp or the net depending on weather and bug pressure. The tarp alone comes in around 19oz, and the net 15oz. I feel like it is a good fit for me at 6'3". On my sleeping pad, when I lie down or sit up, the tips of my hair BARELY brush the net, which means I still have another ~4-6" of clearance to the tarp. Plenty of room for me and my wife, and a TON of room if I'm solo. Here are some pics of it set up.

If you can get away with a 1P shelter and a hammock if your GF ever joins, I'd look at the other single-walled 1P shelters from these same manufacturers:

Gossamer Gear The One (2x trekking pole supported, 21oz, $299)
Six Moon Designs Lunar Solo (1x trekking pole supported, 24oz, $180 til 12/31)
TarpTent ProTrail (2x trekking pole supported, front entry, 26oz, $225)

I don't consider the Zpacks Hexamid Solo (even the plus version) because I know several 6'3"+ hikers who say it is too cramped, your head will brush against the (potentially wet with condensation) tarp, it could get on your sleeping bag, etc.

khysanth fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Dec 29, 2017

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

OSU_Matthew posted:

Question about winter gloves... I'm looking for a good all-in-one compromise for backpacking.

I've got these Kinco Ski Gloves, which are freaking amazing for deep winter, but they're not very dextrous and they are too hot when you're really moving.

Mechanics gloves are great down to freezing, but still not dextrous enough for hammock stuff, so I found some alpaca fingerless gloves which are perfect, but aren't very durable, or warm enough on the bare fingers for below freezing.

I think I want some glittens for a good all in one solution, so I can still have warm gloves, but the ability to unzip and manipulate stuff when needed without having to change or take off the gloves. Can anyone give me some recommendations for winter backpacking gloves?

I think the solution is a layering system and it would be hard to find an all-in-one glove for 4 seasons.

Thin wool liner gloves for temps around 50. If there is going to be a lot of precipitation, a lightweight VBL (vapor barrier liner) type of glove should be used on top of that (even a thin plastic food handling glove). If temps are consistently going to be below 40, then you throw an insulated glove (or mitten) on top of it all.

More tent chat that you can add to the OP if you want, specifically covering the double-walled trekking pole supported (non-freestanding) options:

Double-walled shelters will weigh more than a single/hybrid-walled shelter, but you and your gear are far less likely to come into contact with condensation, and it is much less likely to form at all because of the better ventilation inherent in double-walled designs. You can also just bring the tarp, or just the bug net, depending on the weather and bug pressure where you'll be hiking. People who live and hike in humid areas should especially consider these.

Like I mentioned in my previous post, for a two person shelter I went with the SMD Haven Tarp and NetTent combo. Weighs about 36oz, two doors, two vestibules, sets up with two trekking poles, and costs about $350.

The one person alternative from SMD is the Deschutes Tarp and Serenity NetTent. Weighs 24oz, one door, one vestibule, sets up with one trekking pole, and costs about $300.

TarpTent has a few offerings. The two person Saddle 2 weighs 37oz, has two doors, two vestibules, and requires four poles to set up. If you are with a partner and you both use poles, you're all covered. If you're solo, you'll need to purchase the additional short poles from TarpTent. $329 without poles.

The one person equivalent is the Notch which thankfully only requires two poles to set up, unlike its big brother. Two doors, two vestibules, 27oz, and $285 make this a really attractive double-walled shelter for a solo hiker.

For even more space, and for bombproof weather resistance, look at the two-person Stratospire 2 and the one person Stratospire 1. They weigh and cost more than the other two options, but they are spacious and hold up in all four seasons.

khysanth fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Jan 4, 2018

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

SwissArmyDruid posted:

The Snow Peak has a piezo igiter built-in, my old-rear end pocketrocket does not.

Definitely continue to bring a lighter with you for if/when this eventually fails.

Love my Snow Peak and the other 6 stoves I own. Always bring a lighter.

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

FCKGW posted:

Thanks for your reply. I'm starting to transition from car camping to backpacking and still getting the gear I need. I've bought a new tent and sleeping pad but still have a regular two burner camp stove and kitchen set, stuff like that. I'm in SoCal and will be doing local hikes for now but want to start branching out into the Sierras eventually. Don't really plan on any Winter or snow trips, no.

I'm probably jumping the gun here looking at backpacks this early before I figure out the rest of my gear. Should I work on getting the rest of my gear where it needs to be before backpack shopping?

Traditional ultralight wisdom says get your backpack last. That way you know how much stuff you are putting in it and which ones are the proper size for you.

The big four are the easiest places to get high quality lightweight items. This is where I would budget most of my $ if buying a new backpacking setup today.

Shelter
Sleeping bag / quilt
Sleeping pad
Bag

For your stove I would grab the Soto Amicus (really good in wind) or MSR PocketRocket 2. Both weigh around ~3oz and will give you many years of reliable service.

Other purchases you'll need to consider to build your backpacking setup:

Water filter (recommend Sawyer Squeeze or Katadyn BeFree)
Pot (recommend Toaks Titanium 750ml)
Spoon (Toaks long handle spoon)
Toiletries / stuff to help you poop and Leave No Trace (Deuce of Spades trowel, hand sanitizer, soap [Dr. Bronners], TP, sunscreen, bug spray, chap stick)
Pillow (Trekology inflatable)
Headlamp (Nitecore NU20)
First aid kit (ibuprofen, aspirin, immodium, benadryl, leukotape for blisters, bandages, etc...can keep this under 4oz easily)
Compass

Here's a link to my lighterpack for a checklist you can sort of glance at.

I really recommend just investing in ultralight or lightweight gear up front, rather than purchasing everything twice after you realize how much it sucks carrying an extra 10-15lb on your back. r/ultralight is a good resource.

khysanth fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Apr 30, 2018

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

Dr Ozziemandius posted:

I’ve had one for a couple years, and I love the thing. Big and roomy, and the flap in the foot box is the best.

I’m about to order a custom Zimmerbuilt pack for camping and fishing trips. Anybody have any nifty features they’ve added or found in a pack that I should consider?

Shoulder-strap pockets are great. A mesh bottom pocket like on the Pa'lante V2 would also be cool:

https://palantepacks.com/product/v2/

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

This is my ultralight headlamp of choice:

https://www.litesmith.com/nitecore-nu20-usb-rechargeable-headlamp/

Been doing a lot of night hiking, and the CRI really makes the colors true to life at night.

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

I honestly think it's really easy to get a sub-10lb baseweight with all the comforts. I don't really skimp on anything (pillow, LARGE sleeping pad, 2P tent) and I'm under 10lb.

It just costs a bundle.

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

Braincloud posted:

Well two beers are 1.5lbs on their own.

My general multi day pack is usually about 30lbs total with food and water.

Water / food / fuel (consumables) don't count toward base weight.

OSU_Matthew posted:

Post up a lighterpack with your pack contents

https://www.lighterpack.com/r/egbf8v

This is my ultra luxury setup, carrying a 2P tent, extra clothes, etc.

Lately I've been going out with just a tarp/bivy and usually cowboy camping if the weather and bugs are cooperating. Took one trip recently under 7lb BPW.

OSU_Matthew posted:

This isn't exactly current and it's more of a spring/fall loadout than a summer, but I'm at 19 pounds base weight with roughly two grand invested in gear:

https://lighterpack.com/r/70o0g8

Any clothes that you are wearing all day while hiking can be marked as worn weight, and don't count toward the base weight. Items you pack to sleep in or whatever count toward it, however.

Other areas it looks like you could have significant weight savings are your sleep/hammock system, but that's a big investment. I'm not too familiar with ultralight offerings in the hammock world but I know they exist.

First aid kit is maybe on the heavier side. I've slimmed mine down throughout the years to things I actually use, and things that are actually treatable in the field.

Your fuel can (empty) should count toward base weight... the smaller ones are usually ~3.5oz. The fuel inside doesn't count.

Trekking poles are worn weight if you're using them.

Just making those minor fixes to the weight calculations should bring you down quite a bit.

khysanth fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Jul 9, 2018

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

FCKGW posted:

San Gorgonio wilderness, just south of Big Bear in SoCal. Easy hike to established campground for my first overnight.

Looks like the fire isn't directly in the path of my trail or camground but everything in the area is closed. Permit got cancelled but I think I'll just try another weekend when the roads and trails open back up

drat sorry to hear. Which camp was your permit for? High Creek?

I think I'm going to try to get a summit overnight permit when the temps cool down a bit. Don't feel like dayhiking the whole thing. It's the last of the SoCal Six Pack of Peaks I have for the year.

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

Picked up a used Zpacks Altaplex in .75oz spruce green DCF. I was sad when Zpacks phased them out for the Plexamid, because it's really one of the only UL 1P shelter options for me at 6'3" without feeling too cramped.

19oz!

Going to test it out with some beach camping this weekend.

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

Tigren posted:

It's not quite 19oz, but the LightHeart SoLong 6 is well liked for tall people.

https://lightheartgear.com/products/lightheart-solong-6

That was on my radar early on when I was just starting to get into ultralight, but it weighs more than my current 2 person setup.

No doubt that's one of the only options for REALLY tall hikers though.

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

I just fill empty water bottles with dirty water and screw my Sawyer Squeeze onto them and drink direct.

If I'm on a trip that requires more carrying capacity (talking 6L+), I'll bring a bladder and then squeeze from there into bottles as needed.

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

barkbell posted:

I need a new sleeping bag (3 season). A lightweight one would be good so I can go bikecamping and it’s not so heavy. Also recommend a good bag for biking. One that attaches to the seat post

Are you open to using a quilt? They can be made with permanently enclosed footboxes, or ones that you have the option to close.

Traditional mummy bags have a bit of a weight penalty with all of the down/insulation below you not doing much as you are lying on top of and compressing it.

I use an UGQ Bandit (20deg) https://ugqoutdoor.com/top-quilts/bandit/ . Mine is long because I'm tall, and wide because I use it on the ground and not in a hammock. Clocks in at 25oz and is truly warm down to 20. I think it cost me $160.

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

45 ACP CURES NAZIS posted:

whats a good gps? I have zero interest in paying extra for a digital map, all I want is an accurate UTM readout

What about a phone app like Gaia GPS?

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

Verman posted:

I have a hard time believing a quilt is just as warm as a sleeping bag. It seems like there would be a lot of chances of drafts and air leaking out due to it not being a closed system.

There is certainly a slight learning curve, but quilts come with a strap system to keep it in place on your sleeping pad if you so choose in colder temps where you really want to avoid any drafts. Many people take them out to their stated temp ratings and are perfectly comfortable. The only brand I know of that is a big aggressive with/overstating their temp ratings is Enlightened Equipment (although I think they recently started adding more down to their quilts to combat this reputation).

Personally if you're going to go lower than 20deg, I would just get a mummy, but for all of my three-season camping I will never go back to one.

All that being said, some people just can't stand one or the other.

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

Bug pressure really just depends on location and time of year. I personally wouldn't cowboy camp/be without a mesh shelter in buggy situations. At the very least I'd slip into my Borah Gear Bivy.

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

Thaddius the Large posted:

My dad wound up with an offer for 50% off any Big Agnes tent, anybody particularly familiar with their more lightweight selections? I’d love a new 2 person backpacking tent, but haven’t ever had any from them before.

The Tiger Wall 2 or 3 is going to be your best bet. New models, extremely light. Double door/vestibule.

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

Call me crazy but I just get out of my tent to go pee. Usually good time to see some stars and such as well.

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

I wear Darn Toughs when it is cold or I'll be doing stream crossings and getting my feet wet.

Otherwise I just use the Injinji toe/liner socks. Really light/thin.

Haven't had any blisters with either since switching to trail running shoes.

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

Cannon_Fodder posted:

I got myself a used Jetboil and being the complete moron that I am, I broke it.

Turns out that if you want a quick and easy way to damage your equipment, use it in unintended ways!

Anyway, I called Jetboil and asked if they could send a replacement part for this thing. "Should be covered under the warranty, send it on in."

Turns out it's pre-Johnson Outdoors acquisition and it's he oldest model available. No dice on the warranty, but they offered me 50% the price of a new burner.

Sure!

So they sent me a brand new burner (with the regulator), 3-4 canister stands, and a pot holder attachment for like 30 bucks.

Jetboil rules.

How did you break it?

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

Pham Nuwen posted:

Winter hikers, know any sleeping pads with a decent R-value and a price under $100? I've got a 0 degree bag but with temperatures potentially dropping to the single digits I want to be prepared.

Edit: The Teton Altos insulated pad claims an R-value of 4 at $80. The color matches the lining of my sleeping bag, but tempting as that is I'll wait to see if anybody's got other opinions :)

https://www.klymit.com/insulated-static-v-sleeping-pad.html

If you decide to get more $pendy, just buy a Neoair XTherm and never look back.

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

OSU_Matthew posted:

How do those Static V pads hold up?

I ended up returning one because I didn't find it that comfortable. A lot of people really like them though so YMMV.

e- it was the massdrop x klymit ultralight insulated pad. I think it was probably too narrow and short for me (I'm 6'3" and use a wide/long Neoair now). I primarily stomach and side sleep and have been happy since the switch.

khysanth fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Oct 19, 2018

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

Pham Nuwen posted:

Well, I'd wanted to get a Trangia anyway. I'll stop in at REI or Sportsmans Warehouse and get some winter fuel canisters.

Between an alcohol stove and a canister stove with winter fuel, which would you expect to work better in cold weather and high altitude?

Canister stove no doubt. If you can get a stove where you can invert the canister (attached to the stove with a hose of some sort), it will work even better.

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

Western Mountaineering bags are $ but pretty much the gold standard for sub-freezing temp, full mummy bags. They are also pretty light and very packable.

If you DO want to go ultralight, I would also consider the Katabatic Alsek (22deg), Sawatch (15deg), or Grenadier (5deg) quilts. The temp ratings are conservative/comfortable, i.e. you can actually sleep fine at 15 deg in the Sawatch, if not even a bit colder.

https://katabaticgear.com/elite-sleeping-bags/

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

PERPETUAL IDIOT posted:

Any recommendations for a sleeping pad? I dont know much about hiking gear but it's for a gift.

If the giftee is anything like me, I really wouldn't want someone else buying me camping/backpacking gear unless they asked me specifically which models I wanted. Usually I already know what upgrades I have my eyes on.

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

Pocket Rocket 2 is great.

I recently switched to a Soto Amicus and I'm in love. The design of the burner head means you don't need a windscreen at all. It's so much more efficient than just about any other design out there. You'd need a closed system with heat transfer like the JetBoil to beat it, and for that you're paying a big weight/size penalty.

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

I don't use a stuff sack anymore (I just stuff my quilt/sleeping bag in the bottom of my pack and let my other gear compress it down in there), but when I did, I just stuffed it in willy-nilly.

Rolling/folding is not the way to go. And if you do it the same way repeatedly, it will create lines of stress.

As always make sure that once you're home, you're storing it loose.

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

Rolo posted:

I’m going to be using my Pocket Rocket a lot this summer and something I’ve never learned is how big a flame to use when boiling water. Bare minimum to keep it lit? Jet engine? Neither?

Definitely not on full blast. Somewhere around medium/low is the most efficient use of fuel. Also use a windscreen.

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

I used the 20% off repeatedly (as long as it is a separate transaction, you can use it every time) to buy a bunch of mountaineering gear. New crampons, boots, gaiters, helmet.

Doing Shasta in the summer and some SoCal peaks next winter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

45 ACP CURES NAZIS posted:

does anyone have a suggestion for a hat for hiking/travelling to somewhere sunny

At 2.7oz I can't recommend the Sunday Afternoons Ultra-Adventure Hat enough. I have gone through 4+ hats trying to find the best one for hiking and backpacking all day.

Sure, you look like a grandma when you wear it, but it has too many features that I love. The brim has a folding crease in it so it packs away small. The front of the brim is rigid, so the back flap that protects the sides of your head and the back of your neck doesn't brush up against your ears all day or affect your hearing. Tons of coverage, I often don't even feel the need to wear sunglasses with it on.

This ad brought to you by grandmas everywhere.