Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheSlutPit
Dec 26, 2009

Does anyone have any advice on a good glue/bonding agent for repairing cork on pole handles? One of mine developed a fairly nasty crack that needs patching. I’m thinking silicone as it is waterproof and seems least likely to impact the grippiness but I’m concerned about durability in the long term.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheSlutPit
Dec 26, 2009

The nice thing about carrying 10-13L of water is that you can always dump it out when you realize that’s an absolutely bonkers amount to be carrying on a two day trip with water source(s).

TheSlutPit
Dec 26, 2009

I really like the ursack for places where bear cans may not be required but bear traffic is nevertheless a concern. There have been reports of bears in problem areas (cali parks) eventually figuring out how to open them, but when tied properly they can provide a measure of security without having to construct a hang.

Also the new BV475 canister will fit horizontally in many lightweight/UL packs while still holding enough food for longer hikes. It’s worth checking out if you’ve rented canisters before and found them difficult to accommodate.

TheSlutPit
Dec 26, 2009

highme posted:

Black Diamond makes trekking poles that separate into 3 pieces and pack down pretty small.

I was going to say this as well. Any telescoping “flicklock” style pole should break apart into its individual parts and can be packed shorter than when collapsed normally. I have the BD carbon corks and they telescope to 24” but if you pull the segments apart they can bundled down to 20”, which should fit handily in most packs. Just make sure you tape over the tips so they don’t abrade/puncture your pack!

TheSlutPit
Dec 26, 2009

I can see it being an issue for UL/minimalist gear, especially when worn or slept in. A piece of gear that works totally fine for 95% of people may end up with some stitching stressed in a weird way for one particular case in the other 5%—especially shoes, packs, shells and sleeping bags. I’m a pretty violent sleeper and kicked out the foot box in by first UL bag, and there are plenty of reviews with people completely destroying altras within 200 miles. Those are useful data points in many cases but it’s dumb when internet people turn it into “garbage quality. 1 star” reviews.

TheSlutPit
Dec 26, 2009

newts posted:

Looking at Altra running shoes on REI… Has anyone transitioned from regular running shoes to zero drop? How was it? And do you like them? I like the extra toe room, but I’m not sure about the differences the zero drop will make.

I’m a mid-forties lady, shoes would be used for road/trail running and maybe hiking. I run about 15 miles a week.

It was mostly fine for me. I definitely had to change my gait a bit and it felt weird at first. The biggest issue for me when wearing a pack was the tendency to tilt my hips forward to compensate for the change in foot strike, which was murder on my hip flexors the first few times I wore them on longer hikes. I was able to overcome this pretty easily once I noticed the hip belt becoming tight against my stomach as an indicator of anterior tilt and actively focused on keeping a tight core to prevent that.

Also I really like the altras now that I’ve acclimated to them. I put on an old pair of hokas recently and they felt even weirder than the altras did the first time i wore them! Just super uncomfortable. Everyone is different though so imo just give them a shot and if they don’t work for you you can always switch back.

TheSlutPit fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Sep 6, 2022

TheSlutPit
Dec 26, 2009

If you are considering altras but not ready to drop $150+ on shoes you’re not sure about, look for some of last year’s models on clearance. Amazon for example has lone peak 6’s in nearly every size for like $80.

TheSlutPit
Dec 26, 2009

armorer posted:

I would just ditch the cap, the odds of that thing leaking are basically zero unless you're stabbing a thin tube into it.

I leave the cap on but it's more to protect the threads from damage/dust/food gunk while the canister is kicking around with the other crap in my pot. A lot of the threads aren't great to begin with and I've had issues with cross-threading in the past, especially if the stove itself has seen some wear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheSlutPit
Dec 26, 2009

On the topic of flying with backpacks, I've both checked and carried-on my ULA circuit without issue many times. When checking I made sure there was enough stuff (tent, sleeping bag, puffy, etc) in it to pad it out and weaved the straps + hip belt together to minimize the dangly parts getting caught up in the machinery. I used to get nervous about the frame getting damaged during handling, but after abusing the poo poo out of my pack for 6 months on the PCT I found it much more resilient than it appears.