Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

withak posted:

If there is room to overflow to the middle of the room then the room still has empty space, not sure what the problem is.

Noooooo.....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

AKZ posted:

Hey Pennywise do you know of any decent dispersed camping spots in mid WI?

None at all. I'd love to know of some. I don't know of anything outside like, a 50 mile NW trip from me.

edit: lol I just found this in my bookmarks. I haven't done any of it nor do I remember reading or bookmarking it

Wisconsin Explorer Primitive and Dispersed Camping in Wisconsin

Pennywise the Frown fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Mar 18, 2021

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

z0331 posted:

Hydration bladders: fine or a terrible idea that will likely explode and soak all my stuff? I have trouble making sure I drink enough water while hiking and was thinking of trying a bladder since I could sip while walking. I was looking at the Gregory 3D or Platypus Big Zip EVO, though the latter seems hard to find now.

I like bladders when going on day hikes. I use my TETON Sports Oasis 1100 Hydration Pack which I really like. Sometimes I just put a Smart Water bottle in the side pockets but it's can be slightly annoying to swing the pack off of one shoulder to take it out. Plus it's a bit tall so sometimes I just use a nalgene bottle. (edit: I responded before I read all of the replies so I guess I do what all of you guys do too lol)

Anyone have any essentials they take on a day hike? I understand like..... shoes and a phone is all you really need. But I like having stuff. I even bring a GPS so I can "ugh" about how much more trail I have left until I finish.

Pennywise the Frown fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Mar 18, 2021

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I don't carry much in my daypack. I have bug spray which is a requirement in WI and a small first aid kit I put together from items from multiple Adventure Medical Kits. Mostly band aids, mole skin, antibiotic gel, ibuprofen and allergy meds, etc. I might have a multitool in there, not sure if I do and not sure why.

I'm going to throw a poncho and emergency blanket in there. Any other ideas? I love gear. I probably use like 10% of the stuff I have but I like it anyway drat it.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Nitrousoxide posted:

Make sure you have some means to contact folks even if you don’t have cell access.

I have no idea what I would use to contact people without a cell phone. I have a radio that has a good range I suppose. And now I have my FCC license so I can transmit on it legally. But I'd have to find someone who is listening. I basically only go hiking alone, but not out in the bush or anything. You can drive to the trailheads. I usually do about 4ish miles round trip. Sometimes I see someone on the trail but not always.

What other means would you be thinking of?

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Those are really expensive. Yikes.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Sockser posted:

Too many people in this thread carrying nalgenes god drat

Get an Aquafina or if you really want to shave grams, a smart water bottle. Save yourself 2.5 ounces of pack weight for each one, and they’re thin and easier to stuff in the side pockets of your pack, etc etc etc

This is what I do. I watch some youtubers (I know) and Smart Water bottles seem to be really popular. I use the tall 1 liter bottles from Costco which are a not balanced very good due to the height, but I love Costco soo.... A lot of filters fit on their openings pretty well too. Although I've never had a reason to use a filter because I've never been backpacking yet. :(

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

sb hermit posted:

Maybe a whistle? If you have one that doesn't have the ball in there then it will work in more conditions.

I agree that a handheld radio would not be useful unless someone is listening. And they'd probably have to be nearby, given that your handheld radio would not likely be very powerful, unless you are hiking near a repeater and ... etc ... although you know more about this stuff since I don't even have my ham license yet.

Getting a satellite communicator is not terribly necessary if you at least let someone know that you're going hiking. And then, have them call the cavalry (but calling you first, in case you forget) if you don't check in. Still, you can sometimes pick up a satellite messenger for cheap, but keep in mind that you always need to pay subscription fees. For garmins, that's about $15/mo (but cheaper plans exist for intermittent use).

"I told no one what I was doing today!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hAAsOUoL-Zw

I actually do bring one of those orange whistles without a ball. I have one attached to the chest strap on my daypack.

Math You posted:

Pushing that button is a $10,000 - $30,000 exercise, and while I fully support having one, they aren't for day hikes from a trailhead.

:patriot:

Pennywise the Frown fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Mar 19, 2021

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Nitrousoxide posted:

I have their MH500 20 L Hiking Backpack and I'm very happy with it for day hikes. I can't personally vouch for the 70L as I've never bought it.

I have a ton of Decathlon USA stuff in general and it's all been pretty good to me.

Holy poo poo. That MH500 20L is $30. Out of stock but wow.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Nitrousoxide posted:

Not sure what one you're looking at but I got this one. It was on sale for $40 at the time when I got it. I'm showing this available for $60 and not out of stock.

https://www.decathlon.com/collections/camp-hike-day-packs/products/quechua-mh500-hiking-backpack-20l-310057

It supports a water bladder, tubing for it, and has pretty beefy padded waist strap and a light plastic frame and mesh back to keep the actual pack off your back and let your back get plenty of air. It also has loops for trekking poles and an included rain cover in the bottom.

I really like it.

I just clicked the first link I got for searching for MH500 20L.

https://www.decathlon.com/products/mountain-hiking-backpack-20-l-mh500?variant=18674634588222

drat, I have this Teton 18L and it looks way smaller. It doesn't hold much stuff at all.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B006JYHG3U/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I didn't realize that I'm still a member. I joined in 2005 and haven't been to an REI since like 2007. According to their website I'm still a member!

Cool.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I just bought these Cascade Mountain Tech Trekking Poles.

I'm not sure why as I don't have any mountains nearby but there's some hills sometimes. :shrug: I think Costco has these sometimes but I can't find them at the stores anywhere.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Nitrousoxide posted:

You don't need to find mountains or even hills to use trekking poles. You can use them on flat ground just fine. There's actually a technique to trekking poles. You're supposed to use them something like you would cross country ski poles. You want them slightly angled towards your rear and to push off of them so that you propel yourself forward. Set their length so that your forearm is parallel with the ground when you're holding it. if you are expecting to climb a hill for a while then you can shorten them slightly so that your forearm remains parallel. If you're descending hill you can extend them slightly.

You don't need to adjust them constantly though. Just if you're going to be ascending or descending a pretty substantial elevation.

I use them for my hikes and I have plantar fasciitis. I'm able to go probably about twice as long as I would be able to otherwise thanks to how much easier it is on my feet when I use them even on flat ground.

That makes a lot of sense. I have plantar fasciitis too so that might help me be able to go longer. I got these because they're $23 and I don't know if I want to invest a ton into trekking poles just yet. So they should be a decent starting set and the reviews are great.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
What attachments do you use for just regular dirt?grass. The rubber feet or none and just using the tungsten tip?

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I have like 3 or 4 of the Adventure medical kits and I have no idea why. I made a small day hike kit that fits in a small sandwich bag. It includes:

Mole skin
Different types and sizes of bandaids and bandages
Medical tape
Antiseptic towelettes
Benzalkonium wipes
Ibuprofen
Benadryl
Chapstick
Cortizone for bug bites
Tweezers
Body glide
Tick remover
Lighter, not sure why but I'm looking at it and it's in here

I used to be an EMT and I like having tons of stuff that I will never use. Although I did use the moleskin once.

edit: I just googled medi-lyte tabs and those look cool. I'm always wanting to add more to my kit even though I can't fit much more in that bag.

Pennywise the Frown fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Mar 23, 2021

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I keep a tourniquet in my car.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

FogHelmut posted:

Klymit is giving away their X Pillow and a grey V Seat on their website for free, but you pay $19 shipping. They offer you more discounts on other items after checkout ($35 sleep pad, $7 additional V seat).

Do you have a link? I went to their website and didn't see anything.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Oh I've fallen for that before. I swear to god if you jerk off on my feet again....

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

I picked them both up for $20.02. Thanks!

:thumbsup:

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

FAUXTON posted:

sounds like a pretty steep order since they don't really absorb liquid like, say, a tampon does. Before t oolong you'll just be holding a teabag against a wound and it'll be saturated and the bleeding will not be stopped.

:dadjoke:

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Yooper posted:

I've never used any of the traumapads or quick clot stuff, but I'm curious would they have done any good?

Those have an expiration date, just a heads up.

I don't know if you can use it after that date, but it has one listed on the package.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I rarely use anything in my kit but the thing I've used most is probably hydrocortizone for bug bites. I used moleskin once and that was really nice to have.

Although I don't use it ever I still think a first aid kit is necessary and should be brought on any hike. Mine is small and doesn't weigh much but it's worth it to have those options if needed. Adding a joint or gummy would probably be a good idea on those long hikes that I just want to be over.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

pumped up for school posted:

I think it was this thread that recommended to me packing dryer lint in an empty toilet paper tube. That's something I make every week and I've been using that trick for a year. So belated thanks, thread!

I've used an old medication bottle with cotton balls covered in vasoline before. Those things burn for a while.

So this is an off topic question but somewhat related since I might use it in the future on day hikes.

I have a marksmanship shoot the Saturday and Sunday. It's all day (8:30am to 5:00pm, ugh) so we need to bring our own lunch since it's out in the boonies. I've done it two times before, first I brought a Subway sub and it got soggy and gross (more gross than Subway is traditionally) and the last time I think I brought a homemade sandwich and apple where I ran into the same issue but not as bad.

What sort of quick meals do you guys bring on all day day hikes? I don't want to eat beef jerky and trail mix. I'd like to have a meal. I mean, I could bring an MRE or boil some water for a Mountain House meal but I don't want to look like a dork. Someone did that before and it took him all of our 20ish minute break to cook it... and he looked like a dork. I don't know if I have the self esteem to pull that off.

Any suggestions on what you guys do for a larger meal on an all day hike?

edit: hmmm, considering the MRE so I just don't have to deal with anything and I'll get a decent amount of calories for being out in 40F raining weather all day.

Pennywise the Frown fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Mar 26, 2021

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

FogHelmut posted:

Not necessarily hiking related, but when I worked in a hoagie shop, we used to wrap sandwiches for later eating by request. Place a piece of of wax paper or parchment between the bread and the meats as a sogginess barrier and make it as normal. When you open it up later to eat it, just slide the paper out.

Oh drat that's a good idea. Never even thought of that.

PokeJoe posted:

Theres lots of non-MRE self heating things out there.

I had no idea this was a thing. I'd love that. Do you have any easy to acquire suggestions?

edit: looks like these Omeals aren't too bad according to ratings. Only about 220 calories though.

Pennywise the Frown fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Mar 26, 2021

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

xzzy posted:

Individual running off into the woods to shoot targets is worried about looking like a dork? :v: Cooking up a hot and tasty meal will be the envy of everyone in smelling range.

I know you've already said it's not an option, but I'd just do jerkey and granola for a day trip like that. Maybe a cliff bar if I really need a fuel up. Or a chunk of cheese and some dry salami with crackers.

:argh: yeah that's true :smith:

I have a bunch of Mountain House meals I bought a few years ago so those are always an option. I eat cheese and salami on crackers anyway at home so hell, I love that stuff anyway.

I'd really prefer a hot meal since it's going to be really cold and raining all day and I'll be out there for 8 hours. I don't even know what I'll wear. I have a Marmot Precip rain jacket that's works pretty well and I have some Frogg Togg raincoat/pants so I could use the pants from that. It's going to be muddy. It really was the first time I went. I have my hiking boots that I really like. I went hiking a few days ago in the rain and got one of my boots halfway deep into muddy water and they stayed dry. I'll probably wear a bunch of layers of course.

edit: Ugh, this is the area we're going to be shooting at. We lay on a mat though.

Pennywise the Frown fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Mar 26, 2021

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I SOOOOO want a Trader Joes here. The closest one is maybe 40 minutes away from me in Milwaukee.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Hmmm... when I go car camping I leave my tent out for 2-2.5 days. Never even considered UV damage.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I got the Precip at full price ($100?) and it's great. I finally used it for the first time for real this week and I stayed dry in constant drizzle.

It replaced my North Face rain jacket that I've had for years which yes, the inside decayed like an ancient tomb. I still have it just in case.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I got a pair of these Sportneer Portable Lightweight Folding Camp Chairs which is two chairs for half the price of a Helinox. They work really well. Probably a lot heavier though.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

OSU_Matthew posted:

Those exped megamats look really nice... that might be in my future once I finish paying off the driveway.

For now we’ve got a foam eggshell topper over top a Queen air mattress with regular sheets/blankets for car camping. It’s a bit bouncy though, and I really like the idea of a smaller packed volume.

I’ve got the Coleman 6 person instant cabin, and it’s held up nicely over the last 3-4 years. I’m 6’ 4”, and I can stand up pretty well inside it. It’s nice for a couple, we can have a queen bed and some space on the side for a storage bin side table and room to change and whatnot. It’s also pretty easy and quick to set up and tear down—unfold it, and push up the struts until they click, takes just a minute. With a small battery tent fan, it ventilates pretty well, and I really like that you can unzip screened flats on all four sides for extra ventilation.

:):respek::)

I got the 4 person one last year for just myself so I could fit a twin air mattress that's like over a foot thick. Man, I don't know why I was always bringing backpacking stuff when car camping. It can be so much more comfortable if I want it to be. I always brought my backpacking stuff to "test my gear" even though I have never gone backpacking yet lol.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I think I need to reorganize my gear.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I keep all of my gear in my basement. It's gotten to -50F here so I don't keep anything out there that could get damaged. Water filters, reservoirs, poo poo anything at those temps.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Those look heavy. But it'd be awesome to have my own little cabin.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

evilpicard posted:

You can literally never have too many backpacks go for it dude.

:hmmyes:

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I have like 10 different backpacks of all sizes and I want more. I use like.... 2 of them.

I have a weird backpack addiction. And I never use them nor have a reason to.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
The latest backpack I got was this Venture Pal 40L Lightweight Packable Travel Hiking Backpack Daypack to fit inside this GZ XINXING 64L Large 3 day Molle Assault Pack. I got the giant one for when (if... finally) I deploy with Team Rubicon where I'll have to live out of a pack for a week or so. I don't care about lightweight because it's just for the travel portion. Then I have the daypack for when I go out to "get poo poo done" (our unofficial motto).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

incogneato posted:

I might have missing someone saying it, but:

Always tell someone where you're going and when you plan to return.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hAAsOUoL-Zw