Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

ehh... lots of trails are "closed" to bikes/and horses and then i spend all day stepping over turds in a two-foot-deep U-bottom waterspout

that specific stretch of road definitely sucks tho, i went up it once just to see what that route was like. i think it was in the 80s that afternoon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

filters? boiling? i simply spit in the lake and let my superior biota render it safe for all to drink

(don't get a sawyer mini, the weight savings over the regular aren't worth the reduced flowrate.)

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

unfortunately not all bags have that capability; i have one that does and one that doesn't. it is definitely something i'll look out for if i ever buy another bag since it really is nice to be able to do. the one that doesn't is a 'long' size so that may be related

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Casu Marzu posted:

I accidentally chucked my inreach explorer down a 15 foot cliff and it's working fine still.

hopefully i never have to test this on my inreach mini but i don't really have any doubt it would also be fine. the syncing and message issues are real, however.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

four bucks is about the most i would pay for a pre-made kit; the most valuable part of them is usually the carrying case in my experience. for a day hike with kids that would be fine, but i bet you have most of that stuff at home already. throw a couple bandaids in a ziploc with some kiddie aspirin and tweezers, replace once a year or as needed.

e: put another way, bringing extra snacks and water and jackets and hats and sunscreen and the myriad other items required to keep a child would probably be a more effective use of your packspace than a full fledged fak

Chard fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Jun 5, 2021

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

this thread mainly leans on positive recommendations, but today i have to weigh in on a piece of gear i own and wish that i had never bought. namely, the collapsible plastic cup:

as far as being a cup, it works okay if not great. the baffles don't spontaneously collapse the way you might think which is good, but the small bottom makes it a little unstable on anything but a perfectly flat surface. the material also conducts heat pretty well so if you put boiling water in you'll want to set it down pretty soon, which as said can be tricky. the thing that finally spurred me to :justpost: though is that the plastic absorbs flavors. if you plan to only ever drink coffee out of this thing, that's fine, but if you drink coffee even just once everything you put it in after will also taste of coffee in spite of however much you wash it. aside from being gross, that got me thinking about what else might be leeching in and out of the soft plastic its made from, and what that might mean for my health. it's also a real PITA to clean without using a lot of water (DO NOT put oatmeal in here), and like to hold moisture even after wiping with a cloth. so, bottom line this looks like a cool fancy thing to save space, but i'd strongly recommend passing in favor of a rigid-sided cup that either meshes with your other cook gear or can clip to the outside (my current choice).

Chard fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Jun 12, 2021

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

speaking of packs, a cheapo drawstring backpack (the kind that's just a pouch and strings) can be squished down to almost nothing and makes a great daypack for longer backpacking trips. my big osprey pack came with a detachable brain that converts to a daypack, but this is so much lighter that i almost never bring it anymore.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

highme posted:

Just grabbed this old beauty today. Going to build out a shallowish storage compartment across the entire bed with lockable doors for the essentials and leave it loaded so it's pretty much "I want to sleep in the woods/desert/beach tonight" and hitch up. The mobile home wheels/tires and the bolt together rack are going to get replaced with something more substantial ASAP. A good friend owns a shop and just bought a nice tube bender for building cages/bumpers etc., so I'm hoping to add a tube steel rack I feel ok putting a RTT on. In the meantime the immediate plan is to get it ready to drag to Central Oregon next weekend for the Gambler 500. There's gently caress all where we camp, so having this to set up a kitchen & provide shade will be nice.

make a thread :five:

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

You shouldn’t go out on your own until you have gone with an experienced person several times, and even then it can be quite a risk. Also, your first solo outing should be an overnighter.

I’ve played guide a bunch for my friends and even after a few multi day trips I do not trust any of them to survive on their own. It would be a total disaster

i don't... entirely disagree, but i think it also depends a lot on where you'll be going, how much hiking/camping you've done in the past, research, etc. an overnighter is definitely the right choice for your first time but it's not like there's a different kind of walking involved or something

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

xzzy posted:

Also look up the "rest step" if you don't already know what that is.

yeah... but also be aware of when this appropriate. i did a meetup backpacking trip with a Dedicated Acolyte of the rest step and it was infuriating being behind them because they did it All The Time, even on gentle inclines. ended up just taking a lot more breaks (something i should do anyway for several reasons) and had a great time, but please be conscious of others who might be behind you.

e: this was a dude about my middle age who claimed to trail run marathon poo poo. we were doing sub-10 mile days :psyduck:

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

FireTora posted:

Heard about it when i was in the army in Alaska, it doesnt work, a bunch of the guys tried it.

was this before or after they came back with the striped paint and box of grid squares?

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

FogHelmut posted:

I love those Coleman chairs, I keep one in the back of my truck. I don't think I would try backpacking with it though.

Tenacious Tape is what people seem to recommend, Walmart sells that too https://www.walmart.com/ip/Gear-Aid-Tenacious-Tape-Patches-Black/37022260, or you can get big rolls of it elsewhere.
Coughlans makes cheap basic stuff that tends to work. You're probably going to break a pole if anything breaks. https://www.walmart.com/ip/Coghlan-s-Nylon-Tent-Repair-Kit/19897901
Or duct tape works if you don't care how your tent looks.

I mean that is a really cheap tent, not sure seam sealer is actually going to help much if it rains now that I'm reading the reviews. TBH I'd use that for car camping in nice weather at a campsite with bathrooms and a general store on one of those trips that you spend more on beer than food.

tenacious tape is legit, i put some on an unraveling seam on my puffy coat like three years ago and its still stuck strong.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

second washing machine, esp. if you've otherwise written them off. i've washed (non-goretex) shoes a couple of times with no issues

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

highme posted:

Washing machine at a laundromat.

this is the way

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

liz posted:

So I’m going on my first backpacking trip Labor Day weekend! I opted to try an REI trip since I don’t know anyone with backpacking experience and just wanted to try it out.

I have some hiking gear/clothing already but need recommendations on sleeping bag and pads for backpacking. I already decided on the Osprey Aura 65, but if I could get it used even better! Any other advice or tips for first timers?

no advice except have a great time, its the best hobby in the world

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

liz posted:

I have some hiking gear/clothing already but need recommendations on sleeping bag and pads for backpacking.

i've got a terrible habit of reading the start and end of posts, leading me to skip the relevant bits! re: pads, the foldable egg-shell kind of foam pads are a perfect blend of warmth, comfort, weight, and packability imo. your roll-up open cell blue foam pad is a close second, basically the same but harder to squish tiny. i've tried inflatable pads; they're lighter and more comfortable, but can be godawful loud, and obviously can leak. i gave up on mine after the inflation valve started leaking in a place i can't patch it. also they're much more expensive

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Safety Dance posted:

A boot question: I got my left ankle fused last year, and my orthopedic surgeon recommended rocker bottom shoes, specifically Hokas. I've been using Bondi 7 shoes with a small heel lift on the left, and they're very comfortable. But they're also very slippery on wet surfaces, and I don't trust them at all on mud. Is there a halfway decent boot that would be similarly easy to walk in, especially one that comes in a wide width? I'm tempted to try their Kaha boot, but I'm worried I'll have to get it super long in order to get it wide enough.

Related: My wife and I are going to be touring around Iceland in a camper at the end of August. It comes with sleeping bags, cookware, a stove, some camp chairs, and a heater. Is there any other gear I might want to bring / rent while I'm there?

the bondi is their most cushiony shoe, as im sure you know; they do make a few boots but i've never seen them in person. from browsing the site out of boredom, the ancapa and kaha both have a 6mm drop which is (surprising to me) higher than the 4mm bondi. the speedgoat has the same drop but lovely traction imo, its more of a runner that they also do in a boot. hoka's aren't my recommendation for anything but sole cushion for street/casual hiking to be really honest, if you want traction look at plush options in other brands

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

very nice pics

desert solitaire should be required reading for this subforum

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Dick Burglar posted:

I've got a busted body as well and was at REI the other day. I asked a salesman about the Speedgoats in particular. He gave the traction and the shoe in general high praise. I'd be curious to hear more about the Hokas and alternatives. I was recommended the highly cushioned Hoka Bondi running shoes by a podiatrist and orthopedist for daily use, but I'm open to other brands for hiking if they do the job better while still providing some extra cushioning.

Edit: also, I have full-size shoe inserts because I am a supinator, and AFAIK fuckin nobody makes shoes for supination, only flat feet and pronation. So any shoe I'm gonna wear for long periods of time, especially in rough terrain, needs to be able to fit the inserts.

if you're getting specific advice from a podiatrist then i have to lean towards their take. i am also a supinator though, and la sportiva wildcats work great for me. that brand does run narrow so you'll want to double check your insert. the gtx version i can't recommend, part of the appeal of that shoe is the ventilation.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

nate fisher posted:

Every hiker and runner should have a balance board at home. I starting using one after a really bad ankle sprain, and I still use it a couple of days a week. I use to have a problem with under pronation (foot rolling outwards), but it rarely happens anymore. I owe part of that to the balance board.

quick correction: foot rolling outwards is supination, rolling inwards is pronation. stronger ankles will help with either case, but especially for buying shoes online it makes a difference which one you're trying to correct for.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

peppermint oil also repels ticks, so lather up in doctor bronners before hitting the trail

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

exoskeleton built from hatchets and tensioned paracord

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

nate fisher posted:

I picked a Geek Aire fan earlier this year and I will never car camp without it.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07P3ZG4B5/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

this fan is 110$ on sale, 140 regular. if you're car camping anyway, why not just get a power converter and a 20$ box fan?

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

VelociBacon posted:

Goon opinion on the Ascend Hex 0 Degree Mummy?

For camping in and around PNW/Canada, temps around 5-20C.

never heard of the brand; those long vertical stitches give me pause though. maybe find out if there's any internal baffles to keep all the fill from collecting at the ends

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

if you are trapped in an inescapable web of repressive force which cares not a jot for your survival, is it not your moral duty to strike back in whatever means might be available, however futile it might seem?

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

you don't have to out run the bear, just out run your friend :razz::razz:

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

FAUXTON posted:

what friend

:negative:

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Business of Ferrets posted:

Just wanted to note that if I were in the market for a 0° bag, I would always get a long-sized one if available. I’m not tall, but in cold conditions tend to stuff things I don’t want freezing into the foot of my bag. At 0°F, that’s batteries, fuel canister, water bottle, inner boots, all electronics, and any wet clothes I need to dry out.

this is a good point. if you're just-barely fitting in a standard bag it does make sense to size up so you're never at risk of pulling it too-tight against you and compressing the insulation

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Safety Dance posted:

Pick all 3 and get a Morakniv. They're cheap and cheerful, good for cutting and prying tasks, and you can baton firewood with them if you really need. Sharpen it every now and then and it'll last until you lose it.

second the morakniv if you plan to do any crafts or prying, for :20bux: you cant go wrong. i keep one in my car with the emergency supplies. usually though the only thing i expect to need is a sharp edge, so i just carry one of these
https://www.amazon.com/Derma-safe-Folding-Utility-Survival-5-pack/dp/B0067EMCVI

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

:capitalism:

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

there is a lot to do in a natural type environment besides burning small portions of it. ambulate, perhaps.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

incogneato posted:

I'm tempted to get a Rumpl nanoloft since they're on sale right now. Does anyone have experience with these types of blankets and their competitors?

Use case would be hiking and camping with a newborn/baby. We figure it'd be generally useful bundling up breastfeeding mom, a second ground layer over something thin, and even as a makeshift hammock underquilt (not for sleeping, just hanging out). Bonus points for synthetic fill to easily wash after frequent baby spillage.

I'm having a hard time figuring out if they're more hype than useful, but most reviews are pretty good. I'd spring for the Patagonia one, but it's significantly more expensive.

its hype imo. my only experience with them was as an REI employee a few years ago. they look dope, feel nice, are hella expensive and probably shed microplastic every time you move them. if you have a breast-feeding age child i assume you're probably car-camping at most, so just bring natural fabric blankets you already own. i swear i'm not crunchy granola but if nothing else they are overpriced for what you get (the patterns ARE nice, i cant lie)

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

re: washing, i use regular detergent powder on my wool socks and special undies/shirts; with air drying, i've been using the same gear for years without issue. i think woolite is for fancy cashmere sweaters and very delicate things, not 1000+ mile foot guards

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S3YiSvKZBAM

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

support union businesses

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

I haven't been backpacking in way too long, is isobutane in short supply now?

fake edit: the REI page lists fuel as "isobutate-propane", so... maybe its okay? https://www.rei.com/product/890802/msr-windburner-stove-system

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

FCKGW posted:

Yup. I use a Cnoc Vecto with a Sawyer squeeze in a gravity system. Clean water goes directly into the bladder or a couple Nalgene bottles.

same, its a great system. just dont forget to check your filter before going out if its been a while...

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

plus if you decide to cook meth, you won't look out of place

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

charliebravo77 posted:

After years of wearing dress shoes for work, during COVID and WFH I was barefoot like 90% of the time so my toes spread out and I switched to Altras for everyday wear which now fit me great.

barefoot life

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Brother Tadger posted:

I like “goodr” glasses. $25 a pair I literally any color combination you could think of. They look like cheap gas station sunglasses but are pretty robust and are polarized. Not saying they are game changers or anything, but they are good quality for cheap and because of their low price I don’t feel worried about losing/scratching them.

https://goodr.com/products/a-gingers-soul

thanks for this recommendation, my favorite literal gas station sunglasses have a big scratch that i've been gritting my teeth through for too long. seems like most of the styles are the same price or a few bucks more, so i can let my freak flag fly with some brighter colors :3

e: these are almost identical, awesome https://goodr.com/collections/traditional/products/donkey-goggles

Chard fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Jul 16, 2022