Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

j.peeba
Oct 25, 2010

Almost Human
Nap Ghost

Sockser posted:

Some good poo poo in here, though I'm going to disregard most of it either because I'm an rear end in a top hat or I just upgraded to that gear.

That 19 pounds also includes extra clothes- just a tshirt and some extra socks/boxers and also my dumb fleece. I need a good fleece.

re- water - I tend to drink a lot while I'm hiking. On a 14 mile hike with 2 nights of camping, I cleared just shy of 8 liters (though I woke up with a migraine and pounded like 750ml in the middle of the night so maybe 7 would be more reasonable)
my sleeping bag - is something I'm definitely looking to replace. I've got a lovely 40 degree bag for when its warmer out that's nice and light, but got this 20 fairly recently and it's way too tight of a mummy so I end up getting bound up in it in the middle of the night (side sleeper who ends up switching sides every hour or so) Combine that with the weight and it's just not working out. If anyone has suggestions I'm all ears
medkit- is really just a bag of loads of poo poo. There's a couple of bic lighters in there, some fire starters, backup batteries for my headlamp, toothbrush/toothpaste, basically everything I have that's tiny and doesn't go with something else
emergency blanket - less for me and more for one of my dumb friends if they gently caress up
slingshot - yeah I don't normally bring that, was more of a "ha ha gently caress it whatever something to do at camp" thing that I probably wouldn't do again (though it's for sure coming canoeing when weight isn't really an issue)
rope - 50 feet of paracord, can I really get that much lighter? It might also be weighing in heavy as a result of being out in the rain all weekend

This was my first time with camp shoes and while they were nice, especially with the terrain our camp was set up on, they're pretty easily ditchable

I think my pack weight is pretty on par with the rest of my crew, just that I overpack on food.

E: what are these smart water bottles you’re talking about? Googling smart water bottle just results in loads of bad kickstarters

smartwater is just bottled water that you can find easily everywhere (in the US) and which has a conveniently slim bottle that holds 1l and is reasonably durable. I think the defacto standard lightweight bottle before smartwater was Gatorade or something. 8l of water for 3 days doesn't sound totally unreasonable but you might be able to stretch it out a bit by drinking at a steadier slower pace while walking. Have a sip like every 15 minutes or so and don't wait until you're thirsty. When you stop at a water source you can drink more before moving on.

For budgeting food count your calories. You can use an online calculator for figuring out your rough caloric needs for a day or just start with the happy average of 2500kcal and adjust based on future trips. Some people carry a lot of extra food for emergencies but I usually just pack one extra meal's worth of calories for longer trips. If it seems like you'll take more time than scheduled you can always ration and it'll be just fine. Even in a sudden emergency you can still be pretty much fully operational for 1-2 days without food if you stay hydrated. It won't be fun but we're talking actual serious emergencies here.

Ditch the blanket. If some of your dumbass friends loses their bag and/or shelter, make them sleep together for warmth or take shifts at keeping warm by a campfire and napping in shelter. It'll suck but I'd wager less so than sleeping with an emergency blanket.

One thing in general is to think about multiple uses for your equipment which can spare a bit of extra weight. I don't carry spare rope anymore since the only use I had for it was for drying clothes or for potential repairs. If that happens I can just repurpose one of the guylines of my tent which are not structurally necessary. If I need a firestarter I can use a clif bar wrapper or squirt some of my hand sanitizer on some toilet paper. The weight savings for fire starters or like 2m of rope are admittedly not huge but it adds up and I find that carrying less things makes it much easier to stay organized and find what you need without turning your bag upside down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

j.peeba
Oct 25, 2010

Almost Human
Nap Ghost

Chard posted:

Does anyone know of a lightweight, wind/waterproof, and slightly insulated glove that doesn't suck? It seems like every review I read has at least a few people reporting leaks or soak-through, to the point I think what I'm trying to find might not exist. Bought some Seirus Hyperlite All-Weather gloves but they didn't pass the sink test at all so I am taking those back. I think the closest to what I want might be the Outdoor Research Versaliner, but REI doesn't seem to carry them anymore and I want to try them before buying.

The other option I'm considering is just sticking with my lovely fleece gloves and getting a wind/water mitt to go over them, but I'd like to be dexterous enough to set up camp in inclement weather without giving up hand protection.

If you don’t mind looking slightly dorky Showa 282 should fit the bill. https://www.outsideonline.com/2270896/review-showa-281-and-282-gloves#close

j.peeba
Oct 25, 2010

Almost Human
Nap Ghost

Ihmemies posted:

Am I missing something? 20D silpoly is 42g/m^2 and 30D silnylon is 44g/m^2, like this: https://ripstopbytheroll.com/collections/waterproof-nylon-fabric/products/1-1-oz-mtn-silnylon

So I calculated I can make an A frame tent for 9-10m^2. So cloth is around 400-450g add 150g zippers, extra cloth, thread, little things, guylines.. 6-8 stakes 100g?

Then I can buy a https://www.msrgear.com/ie/tents/minimalist-shelters-and-wings/thru-hiker-mesh-house-2-trekking-pole-shelter/10823.html and keep patching that lovely thinner than paper 15D floor, 410 grams.

Total around 1,1kg? Is there some reason these are not made? The end walls are vertical so even tall persons don't have cloth in their face...

Edit: seems DD makes one.. from who knows how thick material. And it's only 730 grams.

E2: bearpawwd too.. https://www.bearpawwd.com/tarps/tarps_canopies.php

I understand they do not have that much room, but what 1kg double walled tent has room..? (for tall persons)

That outer tent is verrry close to just a flat tarp pitched to an A-frame at that point so I suppose that's partially the reason why there's so few models out there.... So why not use a tarp with an inner tent then? It'd be cheaper, weight less and it's more flexible for setting up. You could do a lean-to/laavu when the weather's OK and A-frame when needed. You can add partial doors to the A-frame by pulling in the corners towards the ridgeline. A 3x3m tarp with a good number of attachment points should do the job and give you ample space for the inner tent.

j.peeba
Oct 25, 2010

Almost Human
Nap Ghost

Ihmemies posted:

Inner tents and tarps are expensive.. I found out Trekkertent in UK makes such tents too for cheap (no customs fees or extra VAT for me). With solid interior walls and all that stuff. Can also use the flysheet as an tarp... Model is Stealth 1.5. I read they will extend the lengths for like £15 per 10cm..

Some youtuber weighed the stealth 1.5 to 860g grams with solid interior (if I saw right) so that is quite a lot less than what my Scarp 2 weighs. Of course 20d silpoly is a lot less durable material than 30d silnylon.

Cool, that Trekkertent does look pretty smart and seems to have nice value. A lot of the name brand tarps are stupid expensive indeed but a 3F tarp from Aliexpress is like 55euros. You could combine one with a Trekkertent fabric inner and save maybe 100eur total but I don't think the combo is worth the hassle if you don't see other use for a generic flat tarp.

j.peeba
Oct 25, 2010

Almost Human
Nap Ghost
I use a small cotton rag cut from an old shirt to grab the handle if it’s hot. It’s probably the most multipurpose piece of equipment I have. Good for cleaning the cutlery, prefiltering gunk from dirty water and it keeps the stuff I pack inside the pot from rattling around.

j.peeba
Oct 25, 2010

Almost Human
Nap Ghost
Have you tried the burner with a windscreen? That should help some even when it’s not windy by keeping the heat more concentrated. Don’t put it on too tight though since you don’t want the burner or canister get too hot.

As for the phone pouch I’d just put the phone in a minigrip or a waterproof case instead of trying to find a waterproof pouch.

j.peeba
Oct 25, 2010

Almost Human
Nap Ghost
Ah yeah what I meant to say was that just get a shoulder pouch that has the features you need and then waterproof the phone in another way. When I have my smaller camera with me I keep it in a shoulder pouch and when it starts raining I slip it in a plastic freezer bag.

j.peeba
Oct 25, 2010

Almost Human
Nap Ghost

PookBear posted:

no the entire point was that was all it did so I could give a super barebones function to my wife

Maybe a GPS watch could fit the bill

j.peeba
Oct 25, 2010

Almost Human
Nap Ghost
In very cold temperatures two bags can actually be a pro move that can beat a single thicker sleeping bag. With a single down bag the dew point where moisture condenses can easily end up on the surface or even inside the bag. This can’t be avoided in all circumstances (unless you’re willing to try a vapor barrier lock which can be a miserable experience) but the damage can be controlled by using a synthetic bag or quilt on top so that the dew point hopefully stays in the synthetic. The synthetic can be quite thin, like a 1 season bag, and it’ll be easy to dry. With a 3 season down bag underneath you should be able to push the combo well below freezing. I haven’t tried the method myself but apparently it’s quite popular with the more serious arctic explorers and mountaineers.

j.peeba
Oct 25, 2010

Almost Human
Nap Ghost
Luxe Outdoor Minipeak XL or Octopeak might work. Their prices seem alright. I don’t have firsthand experience but judging by a couple of youtube clips they seem to do the job well.

Using a synthetic hot tent is totally fine if it has a fireproof stove jack and you have a spark guard in the the stove pipe. You need to excercise caution of course but melting the tent by accident isn’t easy.

Minipeak XL and Thous Winds stove can be had for under 500 euros total and weighs about 3kg

j.peeba
Oct 25, 2010

Almost Human
Nap Ghost
If everything else fails, you can get a pattern with your measurements from https://www.patternadventure.com/en/patterns/men-s-hiking-pants-2 and have a tailor make them from a fabric of your choice.

j.peeba
Oct 25, 2010

Almost Human
Nap Ghost

Chikimiki posted:

I usually just use my backpack's rain cover for protection if I check it :shrug:

I did this maybe twice but I stopped when I got it back with a small hole on it. It looked like it rubbed against something when it was on a conveyor belt or something.

j.peeba
Oct 25, 2010

Almost Human
Nap Ghost

guppy posted:

I have never seam sealed a tent I bought. I could see needing to do this to one that I'd had for a while, but are you supposed to do this to new tents? I've stayed dry in mine.

It's pretty common yeah. If needed it should be mentioned somewhere in the product details or manual.

j.peeba
Oct 25, 2010

Almost Human
Nap Ghost

Ihmemies posted:

I have a tent with long side panels. They have two loops in each side. One is on bottom border, one is roughly in the middle. To prevent the sides from flapping in strong wind, what kind of tent line setup would be good for the side panels? I could carry two extra stakes to stake the side panels. Or do I need 4? Or maybe I could just stake the bottom border loops... and forget about the one in the middle.

Earlier I have used stakes only in tent corners.

I have marked the side panel loops in red:

The bottom loop can be used to make the fabric a little more stable in the wind and should be staked to the ground close to the loop. Don’t pull it very tight so that the tent remains in the shape it’s intended to and the forces of any strong gusts go where the tent is at its strongest. The corners should be the ones that remain under tension, the middle-bottom loop is there to just take some slack and flappiness off the fabric.

The loops in the middle of the panel are probably mostly intended for increasing interior space. You should stake these out further (so bring an extra pair if you want to use these) with some cord. You may also use nearby trees and such for these since they can usually be pulled pretty high. Be very gentle when tensioning these. Pull them just enough to create like 10-20cm more space inside. These points are probably not as strong as the other loops in the tent.

j.peeba
Oct 25, 2010

Almost Human
Nap Ghost

carrionman posted:

What's the most breathable raingear people could recommend? I'm a heavy sweater and frankly if I'm powering up mountains it feels like I may as well not bother with a jacket as I'll get just as wet from the inside.

I've kinda given up on this myself. I'm a steam engine too as I get going and as far as I understand it the physics are not on my side. Even if you have a perfectly breathing membrane (eg. it transmits water vapor with theoretical perfect efficiency from inside to out), it will do close to nothing when it rains because the outside air's relative humidity is over 90%. The membrane will only transmit water vapor when the outside humidity is lower than inside which in practice means a breathable shell will offer relief only when used during light drizzle at best. Making a concentrated effort on taking it easy during the rain helps the most if you want to be more comfortable. If it helps you can also think that a rain jacket's most important function when hiking is not to keep you dry and comfortable but to keep you warm and functional. Swimming in your own sweat is safer than being constantly washed with cold water. Hiking sucks but I love it.

For the bottom a rain skirt works alright for me. If it's mega windy pants are probably better.

FWIW once I've worn down my current supposedly breathable gore tex rain jacket I'll probably try out a totally non-breathable one with long armpit zippers.

j.peeba
Oct 25, 2010

Almost Human
Nap Ghost
The first time I flew with my backpack I just put its rain cover on. Somewhere along the line it rubbed against something and it got two holes so since then I’ve been double bagging or using the airport services to get it wrapped.

j.peeba
Oct 25, 2010

Almost Human
Nap Ghost
The first time I flew with my backpack I put its rain cover on for protection and for keeping all the straps and buckles in place. It rubbed against something and got two holes on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

j.peeba
Oct 25, 2010

Almost Human
Nap Ghost
Hahah yeah. Sometimes you just gotta repeat yourself to make a point :eng99: