Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Natty Ninefingers
Feb 17, 2011
It’s good to look into what kind of reputation the region has. Some areas hit a sweet spot of accessibility, remoteness, and nearby population to produce some pretty intense instances of theft. Siphoned gas and missing wheels are classics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Natty Ninefingers
Feb 17, 2011

Lovelyn posted:

I'm going to try to summit St. Helens in late June! I've only done shorter day hikes so I want to make sure I have everything I need and would love input:

40L pack
3L camel pak
Sunglasses
Gloves I don't care about
Neck gaiter
Hiking poles
Sun protection
Extra socks

What should I do for layers? Am I missing anything else important?

What other hikes have you done?

Natty Ninefingers
Feb 17, 2011
Adventure Pass is apparently the regional pass for NFS land in Southern California. It is therefore covered by the America the Beautiful Pass.

Natty Ninefingers
Feb 17, 2011
The Russians just used an aeropress.:agesilaus:

Seriously that is some dedication.

Natty Ninefingers
Feb 17, 2011
Anyone have a recommendation for a stout and sturdy hiking boot that fits 14 wide feet? Keens always fit me well, but the soles wear out far too quick.

Natty Ninefingers
Feb 17, 2011
The only thing keeping me shopping at rei is the return policy and the ability to occasionally try things in the store. Even then with this union bullshit I will definitely steer clear for a while.

Natty Ninefingers
Feb 17, 2011
Goretex seems to take longer, if anything.

Natty Ninefingers
Feb 17, 2011
Gotta daypack. Gotta two-three night pack. Thinking I likely need a snow day pack. Will definitely need a weeklong pack at some point…

Natty Ninefingers
Feb 17, 2011
PSA on shoes and feet-

Your feet tend to spread out and even lengthen a little as you age. A couple of the older generation in my family got properly sized for the first time in decades, and clocked in a few numbers above what they thought. Their feet felt the difference.

Natty Ninefingers
Feb 17, 2011
Every just uses battery packs, in my experience

Natty Ninefingers
Feb 17, 2011
As above an aero press is a nice lux item, but instant coffee is often good enough. Again as above, it’s gray for car camping or just making coffee at home. A good companion gift would be a fancy little hand grinder.

Natty Ninefingers
Feb 17, 2011
Boxer briefs.

Natty Ninefingers
Feb 17, 2011

pumped up for school posted:

Very excited. I still have one of my Mickey mouse boots around here, somewhere. I went through 2 pairs in my field seasons in AK. They always separated at the toe box.

Then my feet got fat (how the gently caress?) and I could never find wides again.

as you age your bones spread and your feet get wider

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Natty Ninefingers
Feb 17, 2011

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Pros and cons to canvas.

They can last forever if you take care of them, unlike synthetic tents which can start to degrade and smell after like 20 years. They breathe better so they aren’t as hot and stuffy. Way safer if you run stoves in them ( which I won’t in this, I have another dedicated hot stove tent), more durable over all I would say.

Cons are they’re heavy as poo poo, take longer to dry out, can’t store them wet or they’ll get moldy, and they cost way more.

What kind of wind is it rated for