Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
Oh boy food stuff. I’ve got a bunch of things that I have as go-tos. There’s the Fiber One cinnamon coffee cake bars, full of delicious cinnamon. There’s the Nature Valley peanut butter biscuits, full of delicious peanut butter. The Bobo oat bars are great, they have some moisture in them so they aren’t dry and crunchy and tough to eat.

There’s the Lenny and Larry giant cookies, can’t go wrong there. I try to pack some of the chia squeeze pouches as well. I might grab the Pro Bar energy blocks as well. Can’t go without peanut butter filled pretzel pieces, they’re great for downing salt quickly. Lastly there’s the That’s It fruit bars. Great for when I want something tart.

I’ll typically pack maybe 4-5 things per hike, maybe more for a longer hike and I’ll continue trying different stuff at the store to see if something else is good. Like stroopwafels are good and I’ll sometimes take them but it’s kinda rare since I’m not often in the mood for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum

quote:

Product eligibility is determined at the discretion of REI and is subject to change and may fluctuate by location. The full range of eligible products that may potentially be accepted is listed in the REI online trade-in catalog.

If your item is not in our online trade-in catalog, it may not be accepted.

All items must be clean, in good working order, and in sellable condition (with the exception of bikes; see below for terms specific to bikes).

Items heavily soiled, stained, damaged and/or requiring repair will not receive trade-in credit (with the exception of bikes; see below for terms specific to bikes).
I guess if you have some stuff you bought but literally never used it would be possible to sell it back

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
Thoughts on windbreakers? I had a Marmot DriClime that served me well but I did the REI gear trade in thing along with some other stuff I had hanging around and have a decent chunk of money to blow on a new one. So long as they sell it on REI I guess.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
Duluth Trading undies are great. I’ve also got some American Eagle compression undies that have held up well so far

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
What do you do when you feel like you have everything you need but you still have money to blow on REI? I’ve got leftover dividends, plus the next one coming up, and some money from turning in some equipment. I can’t think of anything I need, wondering what to do with it all. Buy one really expensive item?

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum

some kinda jackal posted:

If I get a really fancy portable coffee kit I can just dose enough caffeine to avoid sleeping altogether.

I've done the whole hike around the clock to avoid bringing camping gear and it is unpleasant. Any longer and it might as well be a marathon trail run

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
Someone made a rice thread in ask/tell, maybe they would know if there exists such a rice for trail sushi

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
I got nipple tape and a plush mountain goat

One year I had a girlfriend get me some subscription to one of those places that sends you crappy hiking stuff every month. I think everything went into the trash except for the LED lantern and the electronic lighter

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum

xzzy posted:

Do we have a road trip / overlanding / boondocking type thread anywhere on the forums?

I'm refining a road trip for late May with stops related to doing a bunch of hiking so it kind of fits in here but there's also a lot of BLM car camping on the schedule and I'm not sure I should poo poo up this thread with that stuff. It would be interesting (to me) to swap places to explore that are easy to get to with a car because I'm sure there's lots of people that have been through areas I'm going or have local expertise.

I scoured AI and didn't find much. Though there was this thread about getting outside in a landcruiser in Utah. I feel like we had such a thread years ago in this subforum but no idea where it would be now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
I have three shoes I rotate through, the Hoka Speedgoat, Brooks Cascadia, and La Sportiva Mutant. I’ll probably just cut it down to the Brooks and Hokas.

I don’t recommend filling up a closet with trail running shoes though, the girlfriend gets mad that they take up so much room