Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

altra is the other primary option for wide toeboxes. i don't get any heel lift in my lone peaks either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

altras and topos arent really for wide feet per se, but they have a wider than normal toe box to let your toes splay out a bit more than traditional shoes. the heel cup and midfoot are pretty normal width. my wife says they look like clown shoes because of this.

if that not what you're after, salomons are also too narrow for me too, and i've found brooks shoes generally fit pretty well. la sportiva *can* work but they have sort of a range of widths in their line-up. ultra raptors and jackals might be worth checking out, bushidos less so. scarpa approach shoes also fit me really well but i don't have any experience with their trail runners.

since you know NBs work for you, have you considered NB trail runners? https://www.newbalance.com/pd/fresh-foam-arishi-trail-gtx/MTARISG1-32899.html

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Verman posted:

The foam pillows are more comfortable but heavier and don't pack down as well but there's no better option for comfort. Poly stuff pillows kind of suck, they aren't very supportive and they don't compress down super small. Air pillows are great for weight and space savings, but don't really have the comfort of the foam pillows. They're usually better deflated a bit.

Some people put a jacket or clothes in a stuff sack but I've never found it to be super comfortable as you're always adjusting it.

On a side note, I bought some new trail runners yesterday. I needed to use my dividend and 20% off coupon from REI so after trying nearly everything on, I ended up with some topo Terraventure 3s.

I wanted a trail runner, breathable (non WP), with a rock plate, and a decently chunky sole, and I prefer vibram rubber. La sportivas are too narrow even for my regular/narrow feet and I don't like their soles. They're too slippery. Saucony peregrines didn't feel stable, they felt like a tall light running shoe and not secure enough. I can see rolling an ankle pretty easily in them. Same with the Brooks cascadia. I just didn't feel like my heel was secure in the heel cup. Altras are just too wide for me but they feel great, and grounded. The topos are slightly narrower and have the same feel. There really aren't as many options as I would have hoped. My Merrell all out peaks were perfect. Great grippy and lugged sole, lightweight, good toe protection. They lasted me several years of use and are falling apart, plus the rubber is rock hard.

I'll try these things out and see how they work.

these shoes look veeeeeerry interesting to me op

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

40% off friends and family coupons for outdoorresearch.com. expires at midnight tonight.

FNF-J3UH-O4HH

FNF-WNEH-3784

FNF-75UZ-OLZL

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

garmin inreach mapshare & tracking.... big time hunk of poo poo. maybe the most frustrating piece of technology ive ever worked with, and i have to read and write yaml files daily.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

charliebravo77 posted:

What are your issues? I've been using the og Delorme inreach se for years and actually just bought the mini 2 today to upgrade.

So I have an inreach 2 mini. Seems mostly pretty good? I dont know if i'm using it wrong but i'm having a hell of a time with the mapshare. the ux/ui on the explore site seems weird and a bit counterintuitive, and things are not always where i'd expect. my biggest issue is i'm not sure what the correct workflow is for tracking a multi-day trip, although i spent some time walking around the neighborhood and think i have a better grasp on it now. basic things like controlling what gets shared on the mapshare site were not very intuitive, and the way i ended up finally getting it to not share my whole library seems like maybe I am doing it wrong.

my goal is to be able to save and store my route on a multi-day trip. what i *think* i want to do is:

- turn on tracking
- do my hike
- get to camp, stop tracking, convert the activity generated by my tracking to a track, power off device
- wake up the next day, start tracking again, do the whole thing over

when i was fiddling with the device earlier today, it seemed like if i started tracking, went on a hike, stopped tracking, and turned off the device, the tracking would still be on the mapshare site, but when I turned the device back on and started tracking again, the new tracking activity would overwrite the old track on the sharing site. maybe this is a result of having changed

i've tried watching some videos and they helped, but i feel confused by managing the tracking aspect of the device in a way i usually do not feel confused by technology. i will try to go on another hike tomorrow and see if i am on the right track (heh) here.

post hole digger fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Jul 7, 2022

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Circling back on this I think all you need to do is:
  • Enable breadcrumbs at whatever interval you want, keeping in mind the extra power consumption this will require.
  • Turn off the device.
  • Turn it back on the next day.

You shouldnt have to do anything beyond that unless you want to mark extra waypoints or something.

Yeah this seems to be the right idea thanks. I probably did something wrong when I was testing it out before but it seems to be working more reliably by not manually stopping tracking, using this basic workflow, + using auto-tracking

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

havin a horrible time breaking in some scarpa zodiacs right now. right foot fits perfect, left foot is possibly the least comfortable shoe or boot i've ever worn. no idea what the issue is and its really frustrating. i've noticed a little bit of heel slip but at the same time one or the other side of my arch feel like its getting crushed. it was the inner side saturday, today it was the outer side. tried a set of insoles that seemed to make it worse. maybe they'll need to go back to rei. been keeping the break in hikes short -- just 2 to 3 miles and ~400-500 ft elevation change, but could barely finish today.

it seems like the lil bit of heel slip i'm having is causing my foot to flex more than the (very stiff) sole of the boot, and that might be causing some of the pain, then if i try to tighten the lacing, it just crushes the sides of my foot. i dunno. maybe just not the right boot for me.

kind of a bummer, i've wanted a pair of these for years and like i said, right shoe fits basically perfect and i don't think my feet are all that different.

i'm not really looking for anything i just needed somewhere to complain.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Morbus posted:

FWIW I've had similar problems with a few different mountaineering boots. They are so stiff that, if the boot isn't an inherently good fit, there isn't really a whole lot you can do to truly fix it--especially considering that they *have* to fit quite a bit more tightly and with less open space than you can get away with in a hiking boot to do their job. As someone who has powered through a season with mountain boots that really didn't fit me well, I really recommend against trying too hard to make it work.

Sucks though. There aren't always a huge number of options for these things so it's a bummer when you've narrowed it down to a model that you think fits the bill and it almost but-not-quite fits.

thanks for this. yeah, the stiffness seems like the biggest issue with the fit being slightly off. you get a little more give with a hiking boot once it breaks in, but these aren't going to do that in the same way. theyll probably be due for a return.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Dick Burglar posted:

I like simple and easy. Thanks. They were sold out on Costco, so I grabbed them on Amazon. $60 for a pair is a pretty agreeable price.

Now, convince me I don't need to buy an ultralight backpacking tent despite it being on sale. I've got an REI Trailmade 2 which is obviously significantly heavier at around or a little over 5 pounds, but also probably good enough for now. Right?

ive been using a Skyscape Trekker for like 6 years and have no bad things to say about it. it takes me <5 minutes to set up and the fact its not dcf is a plus in my opinion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I've never actually worn an external frame backpack, but I'd really like to try one out.

Seek Outside makes the only good light ones I’m aware of