Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
I'm looking for tent recommendations. I'm thinking ahead to next winter, looking for a tent primarily for XC ski touring in Norway and Sweden. Probably mostly short trips (2 overnights), but the occasional week away as well. Needs to fit two people and a pair of 25kg dogs. Expected conditions aren't that extreme since you aren't really at altitude and if it looks like a proper blizzard we'll stay home, but obviously you can get caught out and I'd prefer to be ready in that case.

I was pretty well decided on a Hilleberg Kaitum 3GT, the model is quite popular here and considered a good fit to local conditions. But it's also both on the more expensive and heavy side even among 4-season tents. Also I marked out the footprint at home and it's absolutely massive. That's very nice when the weather is terrible and part of why you go for the GT version, but it does make it a bit harder to use outside of the winter when you need to find flat ground and can't just stamp down the snow. Not sure if I'm just buying a lot more tent than I need.

My other tents are either tiny things aimed at fast and light alpinism or huge car camping monsters, so I'm not really experienced with the middle ground. Anyone have a favourite?

big scary monsters fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Mar 28, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Morbus posted:

For lightweight winter shelters that don't need to be used in really bad weather I think pyramid shelters are great. The footprint is going to be large, too, though. They are in a completely different league in terms of weight and volume, but of course they are more minimal shelters. I find they do very well in wind and shed snow decently but I wouldn't want to be in one for a blizzard. I really appreciate how straightforward it is to pitch them even in poorer conditions.

If a pyramid isn't an option, and a simple light shelter like a firstlight isn't big enough....then a tunnel tent really is ideal, and Hilleberg is the best as far as 4 season tunnel tents. There are lighter & smaller options than the Kaitum, though. Like, any reason a Nammatj isn't an option?

I hadn't considered a pyramid, that's an interesting idea but I think a floorless design will be a hard sell to my partner. Not sure how I ended up set on the Kaitum - I thought the Nammatj/Nallo might be a bit too narrow, but I'm coming around to them. And there is also a Nallo 4 which has loads of interior space while being lighter and not quite so long.

Dr. Lunchables posted:

I’d say look into Nortent. They have a Vern 2 this is both lighter and cheaper than the Hilleberg you listed, though I didn’t check all the specs. We have their Gamme 6 for hot tent camping and love the hell out of it. Simple set up and tear down, color coded buckles, poles, armatures, and more guy lines than you’d ever need. They’ve become my recommendation for all weather tents in general, and the Vern looks pretty promising.

https://www.nortent.com/shop/12-vern-series/56-nortent-vern-2/

Somehow I'd never heard of this company, but they look cool, thanks! A tent stove would be sweet too, maybe for tent n+1. Although we do already have a cheap lavvo-style tent with a hole for a chimney...

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
The cheap one we currently have is too big and heavy for skiing without a pulk, and I'm not sure I'd trust it in any real wind. I do love the idea though, and it is certainly a time-tested design in these parts.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Dr. Lunchables posted:

Oh yeah, I wouldn’t bring it on your ski trip, but since you have it, it might be worth seeing if it can stand up to a snowshoe or hike in trip
Ah right, makes sense!

Having spent some more time with a tape measure and masking tape on the floor, I think we may end up with the Nallo 4GT. Tonnes of interior room, but you save a bit on price, weight and overall footprint, at the cost of a lower ceiling at the foot end and only one porch. I looked a bit at the alternatives from Helsport as well, but the price and specs on paper are basically identical so might as well go with company with the long reputation of being the best.

e: Dr. Lunchables I checked out your state park thread and that tent + stove setup looks sweet. Definitely going to keep it in mind for when we come to replace our current car camping gear.

big scary monsters fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Mar 28, 2023

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
If you're mostly standing around then you could consider something more on the workwear side. I wear some Helly Hansen bibs/salopettes when I'm doing fieldwork - they're heavy and not breathable enough for sustained high activity but extremely tough and waterproof. I find the braces make them more comfortable for long days, and they have full-length zips so you can easily get them over boots. I do take them along on hikes if I'm expecting seriously bad weather, but I generally hate wearing waterproofs when hiking and will stick with a softshell unless it's a full downpour so they're really a last resort there.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

newts posted:

Anyone have a recommendation for an ultra-light (to take backpacking) mosquito tent or shelter? My daughter has turned into a teenager, so we are trying to make accommodations for her on our trips. I see a lot of options for these, but was looking for one that won’t add much weight and can fit over maybe two chairs? She’ll have to carry it.
If you're willing to spend the money and it has to be freestanding, Hilleberg make a few variations on what you want: https://hilleberg.com/eng/shelters/

xzzy posted:

If you've got trees to hang the net from, you can get enough shelter for 1 person at around half a pound.
Otherwise yeah, a bunch of companies make something similar to this, just pick whatever is available and cheap where you are:

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Can confirm that the Nallo is a great tent (I have the 4GT) but it's also twice the target price.

Assuming you read Norwegian I find fjellforum.no often has good reviews of Scandinavian brands, which can be hard to find otherwise.

big scary monsters fucked around with this message at 11:11 on Aug 1, 2023

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Apart from anything else using a touchscreen in the rain sucks. A map in a mapcase weighs almost nothing and always works.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

crestfallen posted:

I need a warm fall jacket. The kind that isn’t too hot when it’s like 55-60 but isn’t too cold when it’s like 35 at night. I tried the REI down vest thing but it didn’t fit well.

This isn’t necessarily for backpacking I guess but that would be an awesome bonus.

I was in the same position last year and settled on the Arc'teryx Atom LT Hoody as being just about warm enough for below freezing nights (with another layer) but cool enough that I can wear it hiking and XC skiing during the day. I also tried the Rab Xenon and Patagonia Nano Puff, which seemed pretty similar but fit me less well.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
I have a very basic bivy sack that I've used occasionally - something like this: https://alpkit.com/products/kloke. It's fine for a night if you really need the weight and space saving - most of my use has been climbing in the Alps. Pretty horrible if insects are a problem since you can barely move in there and getting ready in the morning has to be done outside, and not much fun in bad weather. Pretty claustrophobic if it's snowing and you have to wake up regularly to clean snow off your head. I can't imagine choosing to use one as my main shelter outside of lovely, perfect conditions where you can leave the face zip open, or needing the absolute lightest way to protect against wind and cold.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

BaseballPCHiker posted:

They key is just adding/removing lower base layers as needed. The Bjorn (sp?) fishnet stuff means I basically never overheat and stay about perfect temp wise no matter how hard im working on my hike.

I'm a convert to merino fishnets in the last couple years and can recommend. I run really hot in general and they've been great for me in XC skiing where it's a constant struggle to both be warm enough when it's cold and windy and still not overheat on the uphills. I have some from Janus.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

xzzy posted:

It's the tail end of snow season so it's got me thinking about clearance stuff to keep on eye on between now and through the summer. I'm thinking I want a pair of AT skis. I don't really have any desire to summit mountains and bomb a run, my goals are mostly rolling terrain or moderate inclines to get back into mountain valleys. I could probably do just fine on a pair of traditional cross country skis but I did a lot of downhill in my younger days and I am kinda sold on the idea of being able to have a stiff boot firmly locked into a binding. But I'm not dead set on it.

So sell me on one or the other! I don't need speed or agility I mostly want good flotation when breaking trails and stability when cruising down a slope.

One question I do have is taking breaks in deep snow with skies. With my snowshoes I can stomp out a square, drop my seating pad on it, take off the shoes, and keep my feet on the decking to prevent postholing. How does that play out with skis?

Also how annoying are skins?

Cross country skis are so much lighter and leather boots much more comfortable than touring skis and plastic boots. If you really aren't going to be in any difficult terrain I'd recommend making the switch. I also initially felt uncertain going with free heels coming from alpine skis, but it just seemed silly to use all this heavy gear mainly designed for steep downhills with the ability to go uphill awkwardly tacked on when the perfect tool for moderate ups and downs already exists.

I don't like the super narrow racing skis since I want to be able to go off trail. I mainly use what are called "fjellski" here, which are wider (sometimes too wide for the cuts on groomed trails) and have steel edges. Åsnes have a great lineup of various styles if you can get them where you are and their skin system is good - integrated attachment points for their "kicker" skins. Unless I'm somewhere really flat I mostly just leave my skins on and live with a bit less glide, which you definitely can't do on a touring setup with full length skins.

My goal for the next couple seasons is to learn to Telemark turn so I can hit the occasional steeper section with more confidence with free heels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Thermacell does work surprisingly well if you're used to the various candles and coils that always seem to do exactly nothing. We picked up a gas powered model while canoe camping on some very mosquito infested, forested islands on a lake after getting eaten alive the first two nights, and were actually able to comfortably sit outside with one going. It even seems to helps somewhat against midges.