Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Does anyone have swamp camping advice? The trick is outfitting for hot, wet, HUMID conditions. A hundred degrees ain't nothing when it's breezy and dry and evaporation is a thing that happens, but 90°/90℅ is miserable. And that will be in October sometimes. Does anyone have suggestions for surviving a florida expidition without getting malaria (besides 'go in winter')?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Btw, Gander Mountain is closing for good, lots of sales in-store.

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Jun 7, 2017

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
You can totally do your laundry in a bucket. Socks, undies, and t-shirts are easiest to do. Pants and outerwear are a pain. If you don't have a bucket, make one with a hole in the ground and a tarp. A light (very light, or you will be rinsing forever) scrub with whatever bar soap you got, jooj everything in your laundry bucket, then dump (not directly into the water source). Fill again, rinse cycle. Dump and fill again, second rinse cycle. All the soap and a majority of the dirt and body smells will be gone if you used a light touch on the soap. The un-fun part is wringing and drying. Wring out as much water as possible by twisting and flapping, which takes awhile, then hang in a sunny, breezy place to dry. Depending on the ambient humidity and how well you wrung out, this can take minutes, or all drat day.

Black and brown underclothes are best because they dry quicker in the sun and show stains much less easy.

Fresh blood stains on underthings can be easily treated by soaking in plain cool or cold water for several minutes, then rinsed and wrung out.

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Jun 24, 2017

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Just about every campground is going to have some kind of weekday availability even at the height of the season. Weekends, especially popular ones, you need to be making reservations. For big weekends like Memorial Independance Labor Day, you need reservations 3 months out.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
But where will I keep my watch then?

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

FogHelmut posted:

I think I need a bigger car for my car camping gear.

Roof box. Gives you a great place to put stickers from the many museums and gift shops you'll have the pleasure of encountering.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

FogHelmut posted:

I should have done more to convince my wife that we need a minivan.

Minivans need some serious rebranding. Dodge should strip out a Grand Caravan, put in a cooler, futon, and gear loops, and sell it as a DAYTRIPPER SPECIAL.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
FYI, Gander Mountain is going out of business, almost everything is 70-80% off now. They have lots of gear like day packs, sleeping bags, and fishing stuff. I just brought home a massive haul of fishing crap as well as a camping cook set, compass, folding shovel, and other stuff I can't quite recall as I was just shoving things into my basket.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Can you sanitize wool with a dilute alcohol spray, or would that be a bad idea?

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

bongwizzard posted:

I usually just wear my sun hoodie with nothing underneath it on the hottest days and still feel about as comfortable as if I was just wearing a cotton T-shirt. The stink issue is real but you know, fishes can't smell me so I don't give a gently caress.

Ugh, but the poor things can probably taste you

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

OSU_Matthew posted:

I was also looking at ways to blister package pills so I can just bring half a dozen ibuprofen and Benadryl without the bulky pill bottle. Are there any got diy blister packs or something out there, that I could just say fill it and put an adhesive back on or something?

They sell travel-size bottles a bit bigger then a tube of chapstick for advil, and fatter ones that hold pepto-bismol. It's expensive for what you're getting pill-wise, but you can re-use the bottles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

extra stout posted:

Skip the benadryl and find some marsh mallow, I'm sure there are plenty other histamine blockers in plants but that's the only one I recall off the top of my head

As someone with allergies, and with greatest respect, gooooooooooo gently caress yourself. I'm not gonna paste myself with plantain and thrash around the woods hoping to find something to stop whatever random allergen has decided to block up my sinuses and make me miserable, I'm having a benadryl and a safe place to take a nap.

I always have benadryl, ibproufin, and pepto-bismol in my mini first aid kit, and that lives in my truck, or in my hiking bag.

\/I should probably get imodium in there as well, I'm just fond of pepto-bismol for occasional stomach upset. I do also carry two or three tramadol I have squirreled away for "Oh gently caress I tweeked my back and it's not getting better any time this week time to limp home" \/

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Mar 20, 2018