Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

I just had the strangest thing happen. I have a 1l msr fuel bottle that I'm pretty sure I left full of white gas on its side for about a year. When I pulled it out, the Rubbermaid tote had some petroleum smell, but was dry.

I took the cap off to find it only about 1/5 full with pitting all around where the oring should have sealed and some stratification of the fluid.

E: looks like it is starting to happen to my 12 oz bottles but not as bad.

CopperHound fucked around with this message at 22:03 on May 1, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

hemale in pain posted:

Triple half hitch will work the same as a taut line hitch but it's a tad easier.
I always forget my knots and keep adding half hitches in various orientations until it does what I need. Sometimes I even remember to tie the bight in a way that lets me actually untie it after it has been loaded up and pulled tight.

Grog's animated knots is another good knot resource.

CopperHound fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Jun 2, 2022

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

alnilam posted:

Anyway the point is everyone should know a decent sliding friction hitch :arghfist::corsair:
This all goes out the window if you try using line that doesn't have a core or slippery arborist line.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Sockser posted:

I could not imagine actually spending a full night in one with someone else
The least uncomfortable I've managed was by sticking our stinky feet in each other's faces. Even then, only for a midday nap.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

I just binned my REI flash pad from the frustration of it getting a new leak every time I use it. I wasn't poking holes in it. It was failing at the welds.

I think I'm going to get a z-lite and just deal with switching sides I sleep on when my hip and shoulder starts to bother me unless y'all can tell me the REI flash pad is particularly bad and other pads don't do that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

xzzy posted:

Mosquitoes up there are bad but I don't feel like they're worse than mosquitoes anywhere in the lower 48. I guess the main difference is heat, if you can be out in the open on a hot summer day that tends to suppress mosquitoes and it generally doesn't get that hot in Alaska.

But step into the trees? The swarms are just as bad in the midwest as they are on the Kenai peninsula.
In most of California mosquito season is about two weeks unless you happen to be camping in a riparian area.