Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Be careful if you bring a hot water bottle in your bag with you - I took a survival course a few years ago and the instructors warned of us a dude who died after the bottle leaked. We probably had a lot less room for error given the nature of the course, but that would be pretty deadly in most situations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Prettymuch any gases anywhere can get to you at altitude, and they'll take the closest exit they can find. An aeromedical tech once told me about someone they encountered whose tooth cracked from a gas bubble in a poorly installed dental fitting :stonk:

My first few "backpacking meal" experiences were terrible because I didn't bring appropriate food. Meals were based around rice, beans, and other stuff that had to boil for like half an hour but I didn't care because I cooked it over a campfire. The first time I tried cooking with a trangia I used up all my fuel and ended up with half-cooked crunchy rice. Oops!

e. that smilie didn't age well :stonk:

Guest2553 fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Feb 27, 2020

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Holy poo poo someone made a hella sweet set of ultralight trail games.

Four ounces for everything. I don't have any camping buddies but I can think of some other occasions it could be handy. Slinging these on the side would be a pretty neat hustle if it weren't a litigation magnet :v:

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

I kinda want a packraft. The Klymit one goes on sale on massdrop for about $100 every once in a while, I'll probably pick one up next time I see it available.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

:rip:

I'm near a bunch of big provincial parks (Algonquin, Frontenac, etc) which seem great for that kind of thing (emphasis on 'seem') but it's hard to find info up here :canada:

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

AR-7 and a brick of .22lr will fit in anything. Did a few hikes with that until accepting I would never use it and traded it for an actual small game rifle.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

I was tooling around massdrop and came across the OR Versaliner which seems along the lines of what you're looking for. I don't have experience with that but the OR stuff I have tried/bought is pretty solid, and these ones are on sale for $35.

quote:

Featuring a water-resistant finish and anti-slip silicone pads on the fingers and palms, the Outdoor Research Versaliner gloves are ideal for wet-weather backpacking trips and snowy expeditions. Made from 40d ripstop nylon, they come with a removable Pertex Shield shell that blocks wind and rain. The 100-weight fleece lining provides insulation, while the polyester VersaLiner keeps your hands dry. The gloves also feature a zippered pocket for shell storage, tapered wrists that trap interior heat, and pull-on loops.

Weight, men’s L: 2.8 oz (79 g)

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

bongwizzard posted:

Anyone here use a waterproof rain skirt? I have given up trying to find rain pants that are easy to get on and off, breathable, and durable. I don't care if my feet/legs get wet when I wearing shorts, but keeping my crotch dry is nice some days.

I have the one made by ULA. Haven't had to use it for realsies yet though. Most I've done was try it a couple times in the backyard during downpours.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

It's not really noisy at all imo. If it's raining bad enough to need it, you won't notice it at any rate - the fabric is slippery more than crinkly. That said, the material looks like a main in the nuts to work with. There's a helm and velcro fastener that would need to be rebuilt. If you have experience working with that kinda fabric it's probably simple, but I wouldn't trust myself to save the ounce difference it would make.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

bongwizzard posted:

I dont care about the weight, I just want more airflow. Is it sewn or tape seamed? Sewing I can get someone to do for me.

Also if I am gonna wear a skirt, it's not going to be some below the kneed prude bullshit.

Mine's sewn. The velcro fasteners aren't continuous so there are already a couple large gaps to keep air circulating around.

One thing to keep in mind is that the whole thing stuffs into a built-in stuff sack that's located on the bottom of the skirt, so if you remove the bottom few inches you'll lose the ability to pack it up. Removing the top few inches is probably worse because of the elastic waistband inside the hem. It's probably easier just to ask them to make a mini-kilt, now that I think about it.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Any recommendations on a good lightweight PFD for still water packrafting? I'm going to order a Klymit LWD to take advantage of the buttload of lakes and rivers near me.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Yeah, 'lightweight' wasn't the right word to use - 'comfortable to paddle with' or 'not bulky' would have been better.

I'll look up stohlquist at any rate.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Hot drat this dude modded his LWD to add a spray skirt, back rest, and one-way valve to inflate it in the water.

I have one of those yoga pumps and my dinghy is supposed to arrive in a couple days so I can let you know if it works or not.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Morbus posted:

Hahahahah I wonder if that PFD made out of dollar store box wine is Coast Guard approved

Yeah lol I wouldn't replicate that item but the rest seems legit. I tooled around a bit more on his site today, he documented a solo 10-day trip along the coast of Alaska. Had no problem crossing numerous glacial rivers even if some of the descriptions are kinda hairy.

quote:

Shortly after noon I reach the outflow of the Fairweather Glacier. It's up significantly from what it was 2 days ago and gives me pause. I study the outflow carefully. The current is fast. Like really fast. I watch it, trying to estimate the speed, and don't think I could run as fast as it's flowing. With binoculars I glass the opposite bank, then spot a possible take-out a couple hundred feet downstream. It's a small eddy, maybe 6 feet across. After that, things go to hell in a hurry. The pandemonium below the takeout, where river meets surf, is impressively chaotic. Or would be if I didn't think it might be the last thing I ever see. There's a tongue of slick water above an area of larger waves where I might be able to launch. From there I'll need to ride the tongue out into the main current, keeping the raft aimed at the opposite shore and paddling hard to avoid the bigger waves. If I hit them sideways, I could go over. If I don't paddle fast enough, I could also miss the eddy. Either way, it's pretty much game over.

Makes me feel better about my purchase, though. Even if I'm not as crazy (good crazy to be clear) as the awesome 60-year old hippie dude, the raft is capable of handling more than I'll be able to do with it for some time yet.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

n8r posted:

The spray skirt looks like nearly as bad of an idea as the PFD - which is a big no no. If you capsized with that shitshow strapped to yourself, it looks like a good way to get tangled up with the boat.

Would it really be that bad? I'm not familiar with spray skirts but it looks like it's just a lightweight sleeve to slide into - no straps or clingy neoprene.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

OSU_Matthew posted:

Absolutely it is. Water is nothing to gently caress around with or underestimate. All it takes is something stupid, like your limbs getting tangled in loose fabric billowing around you, and you're hosed. If that guy had actually capsized or been unlucky on any one aspect, the only thing we would be reading is another missing persons statistic. Please get a proper PFD and don't do anything that might jeopardize your safety.

Fair enough. If I'm actually at the level where I'm attempting rapids (or even something more dangerous than still lakes while backpacking, really) I like to think I'd just buy the proper gear.

bongwizzard posted:

I didn't even know yoga ball pumps were a thing, I would love to hear how well they work.

I was able to jerry rig an adapter but it sucked and was really slow, would not recommend/10. The bag was actually really quick. I didn't keep time because it was literally my first time using a blow-up bag, but my first two attempts were easily 5-minutes.

As an aside I went for the AE Ultralight paddle. It's a 4-pc paddle with aluminum construction that weighs ~23 oz but only costs $45. One of the segments can be left out to have a shorter paddle too.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

I shake the bag around to fill it with air, cinch the top with my hands, and squeeze the bag on either side with my knees. I found it quickest and easiest sitting down but it's still possible standing up. YMMV.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

OSU_Matthew posted:

What do you guys bring to wrap stuff like strains or say a rolled ankle? I've just been bringing a few feet of Leukotape rolled up in a pill bottle, but Leukotape probably isn't the best stuff for that application. Should I bring a bit of ace bandage, or would something like kineseotape work? Just looking for something lightweight to add in.

I was also looking at ways to blister package pills so I can just bring half a dozen ibuprofen and Benadryl without the bulky pill bottle. Are there any got diy blister packs or something out there, that I could just say fill it and put an adhesive back on or something?

I'll throw down with the 'use a shirt or bandana for a sprain' since it's something you'll already have. Pill-wise, I use one of those plastic capsules from a kinder-surprise egg. It's lighter and roomier than other pill containers without being excessive. Pills and cotton go inside. A strip of tape has the name of pills and the expiry dates.

I carry a few each of generic tylenol, advil, immodium, pepto-bismol, and alleive.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

I bought a spark wheel and it's pretty rad - it's essentially the lighter without the fuel with replaceable flints that can be used one-handed. Weighs a lot less than a flint-and-tinder, if that's your thing, and only costs a few bucks. I still have a couple mini bics but it's a neat backup as long as you don't drop it.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Family vacation this year is going to be camping stuff :toot:

Just dropped a few hundred bucks on a couple two-man tents (Half Dome for wife and baby, tarptent for me and son since he's way too wiggly for a hammock) and sleeping pads for us all. Dropping that much cash at once made me sweat a lil bit not gonna lie but being able to do outdoorsy poo poo with everyone is gonna be rad. If the loving blizzards and ice storms ever stop at least.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

OSU_Matthew posted:

Nice! Half Dome is a solid tent buy! It's expensive, but it's good quality and will last. What kind of sleeping pads did you get?

I got the 2017 version which saved $30. My wife was originally looking at some crappy sears tents that cost just as much so I feel like we got a deal compared to that. Wife and kid got z-sol pads, and I picked up a massdrop insulated klymit v. I almost got a z-sol for myself but liked the versatility of having both since I'd like to get into cold weather camping at some point.

OSU_Matthew posted:

Packit Gourmet

Haven't heard of this brand before but those meals look baller as hell :aaaaa:

OSU_Matthew posted:

stuff broke then i almost froze

Congrats on not dying :)

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

I'll pimp ULA packs as well. Circuit/ohm are both lightweight (sub 40 oz) internal frame 60+L bags that are fairly versatile and have good reputations. No suspension though, if you care about it, but last year's models are sub $200.

I have a circuit and while it was probably more pack than I needed, it's not unwieldy and future proofs me against longer trips/bear cans/winter camping/carrying stuff for my kid.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

MRE spoons are long handled and fairly durable if you know someone who can hook you up. Some online retailers sell them in packs at a alright prices but then you have like 20 spoons.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

I'm wiggly as hell when sleeping, regardless of whether it's on a bed, hammock, or pad. I have a regular sized UGQ top quilt and use the massdrop klymit pad and between the both of those I'm covered (heh) for back, side, and belly sleeping.

e. I'm 6 ft / 180 lbs for reference.

Guest2553 fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Jun 1, 2018

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Now that it's warm I finally got around to using my Klymit LWD and it's fun as hell. I didn't find it uncomfortable to sit in, even when I had an extra 50 pounds of child in my lap. The LWD + AE Ultralight Paddle + MTI Journey is sub 5-pound setup so it's (relatively) easy to bring along on a hiking trip while unlocking a whole lotta places to explore. It advertises a capacity of 350 lbs so I'd like to do some small canoeing trips with it at some point.

Massdrop occasionally sells the raft for $100 and REI garage had the lifejacket for $30, so with patience you could snag the whole lot for under $200. Would recommend/10 if you've ever enjoyed getting out on the water.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

My kids (12 mo, 4 yr) use foam pads with synthetic child-sized bags. The baby's pad is a cheap foil-lined open-celled one that we fold since she's so small. The pad works well, but she doesn't like having her arms in the bag so sometimes they get cold. She also tries to crawl into other people's sleeping bags at night which is :3:

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

I think I just hit the sweet spot as far as weight:comfort goes. I recently did a 40 mile trip over a couple days and of everything I had, all but one item was used (or for emergency use). I didn't need anything I didn't have, but added one item quality of life item (scree gaiters). Took a few tries to get there and I have enough gear to completely kit out another human, but now doing stuff is as easy as just going outside~

Food is kinda gear, so I'll ask it here - has anybody else had firesales of larabars/cliff bars going for firesale prices in their locales? The normally 1.50 to 2.00 bars are going for under a buck each. I've been buying a box on every grocery trip and have like 100 of them stashed, which is probably more than I'll use this year but it's not like they go that bad.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Lighterpack. Yay lists :woop:

OSU_Matthew posted:

I'm at 19 pounds base weight with roughly two grand invested in gear:

I have the same quilt/underquilt and mine are 10 oz lighter each - is that a typo or do you have some sorta big-rear end quilts?

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Long and wide would probably be the difference...I got 2oz of overstuff in each as well, but I'm only 6' so mine's in regular/regular.

For whatever one online idiot's opinion is, my quality of life on the move went way up once my base weight dropped below 15 lbs but that's because I like to go far-ish (10-20 mi/day), fast-ish (2-3 mph). If you wanted to be more charitable to yourself, most base weight conventions exclude consumables and things you wear/hold so things like fuel canisters, hats, and poles could be excluded to more directly compare loadouts. Other than that, weight savings would probably be due to tinkering around with what you bring rather than replacing things (smaller wallet, leaving non-car keys in your vehicle, drop a couple L of water carrying capacity, etc). 19 pounds on someone your size is probably a lot easier than it is on me though, so if you're happy then keep doing you.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

I have a pot/spoon I thought was stainless, but thinking it was actually aluminum after it went in the dishwasher. The color is no longer uniform and there's a thin layer of oxidation on the inside.

On a scale of zero to start-saving-for-chemo-drugs, how worried should I be? Googling was inconclusive.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Morbus posted:

If minimizing packweight is important, something like a Neoair Xtherm + Zlite foam pad is about as lofty as you can get while maintaining system weight of ~2 lbs.

Obviously if you want super high loft *and* minimal weight *and* low packed volume you gonna $$$

I have the insulatd massdrop kylmit with an r-value of 4.4 and weight of 18 oz and cost $65. My wife has the z-sol which is r2.6 and 14oz. at $35. Putting them both together is r6.6 for 32oz and $100 is probably the cheapest and lightest it can be done at a not too terrible volume.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Dukket posted:

What do folks here do about their legs while backing packing in the rain in mid to low 60's. I run very hot so I'm really hesitant to wear rain pants. I thought about getting a rain kilt or ditching my rain jacket and getting a poncho.

Seconding kilt but I've never been in a huge downpour to really test it out.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Loucks posted:

The Klymit packraft is up on Massdrop again. Anyone have one of those? I would love to have something light and packable for lakes and relatively calm rivers, and $100 is tough to beat assuming decent packable paddles aren’t too expensive.

I have one and like it. Haven't taken it hiking yet, but have gone out on a few lakes. I haven't done more than 3.5 hours in it at a time (which was an accident when I seriously underestimated the distance across a bay) but it's really fun. It's on the slow side and doesn't track particularly well, but being able to go on the water for $200 and <5 pounds is hella worth it. I got an AE ultralight paddle for $45/23 oz and MTI adventure PFD for $30/14oz at REI outlet. No regerts.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Yesterday I did the first leg of what was supposed to be a 3 day/45 mile backpacking trip. I woke up this morning and felt #yolo (probably because I slept like rear end) so I cut out the second overnight and trail ran 20 miles instead. I was humping about 20 pounds, the terrain sucked (lots of mud and terrain changes on slippery rocks so my socks were soaked out after the first hour), and I hate running (haven't done more than a mile or two at a time in almost 6 years in favor of plyo). Somehow I had fun doing it. My favorite part of it was the rush of having to think one step ahead (literally) so that I didn't bail the footfall since I never quite knew were I was gonna step until partway through the stride :v:

It took almost 7.5 hours in all, but an hour of that time was breaks because of all the water I had to stop and filter. My moving pace was about 5k, which I'm actually impressed by with all the walking I had to do on uphill/gnarly bits.

This post was made possible by those costco trekking poles, because without them my menisci would have turned to jello and kneecaps ground to dust. Trekking pole ackbar.

Guest2553 fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Sep 25, 2018

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Rolo posted:

Dry bag:

If you're not too picky about brand and don't expect to need expedition-strength construction, the wal-mart dry bags are decent and cost a shitload less. I've had mine for maybe 4 or 5 years now and they still hold up in humid conditions. One of them spends a lot of time in the elements as a bearbag too. If you need something bigger sized, mountain warehouse has ones that go up to 80L for like $15. I have a 40L one and, hey, it works.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Rolo posted:

I’ll look into those, I got this one because I racked up a ton of REI store credit these last couple weeks, plus this one was only about 12 bucks. My plan was to just use it as a hanging food bag and if a squirrel eats it no huge loss.

That's not as bad as I thought - S2S drybags generally start at $20 locally so I looked for alternatives.The wal mart ones were $10 for 3 (2, 4, and 8L) and weigh about an oz each, so it was deffo in 'good enough' territory :)

Chard posted:

I refuse anything named foon on principle. This war was fought, sporks won, get over it.

I can't bring myself to say it out loud either :v:

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Massdrop insulated static V is r4.4 for 65 bucks and 18 oz for the long version. If that isn't enough, stack it with a z-sol (r2.6) for another 45 bucks and 14 oz. It's about 12 oz heavier than the XTherm and takes up more space, but it gives you comparable r-value at half the price and flexibility when it's warmer out.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

I had to replace mine after maybe a hundred miles after forgetting them at a trailhead :smith:

But that's a case of me failing the poles, not them failing me :unsmith:

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Somehow lost the bookmark to this thread so my bad if this this is a repeat, but has there been any discussion about the new ASTM values for pads? I just learned that the Klymit insulated static V dropped from 4.4 to 1.9. The 4.4 always seemed optimistic but I didn't expect the standardized value would be cut by over half. I wanted to start dipping my toe into 0-20 degree conditions, but it looks like I'll need another pad before that happens. Still works for 2 season camping I guess, but for the weight and chance of failure I'd rather just use a z-sol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

I didn't know that, what a roller coaster.

My wife has a z-sol but she doesn't want to touch cold weather camping, which means I have a z-sol if I needed it for next season.