Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp

xzzy posted:

Anyone know of a brand with a comparable design that's will stand up better to daily use and I'll get several years out of? I really hate throwing out gear every year, it feels really wasteful.

Swany has a similar type of glove. its 2 gloves an inner glove and the outer mitt.

How it works is you have a side zipper on the mitt to allow your inside hand to reach out for dexterity, and when done rezip.

It's a decent glove but not sure on how good it is if used hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

Ultra Carp
I'm looking for some footwear recommendations.

I currently have a pair of Salomon X ultra 4 GTX hiking shoes, that I purchased around 2021 when they first came out. Now they are pretty beat up and worn down and I'm looking for a replacement. The easy option is to just rebuy them again, since I liked them but I wanted to explore other alternatives in case there are new shoes since then that have come out or ones that fit my use cases better.

I use my Salomons as my everyday outdoor/hiking shoe, if there was any chance I would walk in dirt, mud, snow, rain I wore them. I've probably walked more miles on pavement with them than trail but I appreciated the toughness and resilience that getting them a little wet didn't mean my socks/feet were soaked unlike sneakers.

I like the low cut of the shoe as I want to use them for day hiking, and general outdoor use and don't need "ankle support". I prize the light weight and flexibility of the shoe so much that it is one of my most comfortable shoes to wear just all the time. I probably would go for a goretex model to resist any rain/water that gets on or splashes on the shoe but I can do without.

I've been looking at trail runners as an alternative option to consider but I don't really know how to pick or narrow down my search as every shoe is "premium" "light" "flexible" "perfect for [you]".

So alternative shoes/brands I should explore? Or just buy the Salomons again because they're that good, (nearly every "best hiking shoe list" has them somewhere at 1 or near the top)

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

Ultra Carp
Mostly just checking to see if anything new or better came out since then.

Technology changes and there could be new brands that offer the same thing but better or cheaper.

I'm likely to wear these shoes into the ground again, and this is really the only opportunity to look for something different.

I'm probably going to go for the x ultra 4's again