Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Yooper posted:

What's the go to general use sleeping bag these days? I need a packable bag for the kiddo, want to get him an adult one. I had a Kelty Cosmic Down 20 that was great, would do again unless there's a solid bag otherwise.

The Mountain Hardware Bishop Pass hits a lot of sweet spots, and what I plan on getting for a winter bag, but the Kelly CD20 is still one of the best rated bags out there. My regular camping buddy has one and swears by it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

I wear prescription RayBans cause the clarity and polarization are top notch, and I’ve been impressed with the build quality. Got a set of floating bands to attach to the arms so I won’t lose a pair in the water should I dump the yak.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

I’d just bring some extra stakes and paracord. You might need it, you might not, but it all weighs less than a pound and takes up very little room.

Stakes and paracord can be used for basically anything, so no harm if you don’t need em on the tent but wanna run an extra clothesline or lift your food bag or something.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Nalgene makes mostly scientific products, their water bottles are an afterthought. They’ll probably never update em. Interesting that nobody’s made an aftermarket lid holder though.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

This sounds like a lot of work compared to using a sleeping bag

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

I meant using a sleeping bag in the hammock instead of the crazy web of quilts and windscreens.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Gotta wonder if a “General Camping” thread would suck the wind out of the sails of the RV and hiking threads.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Usually set them up in the basement or a garage if you have one. If you have either of those, you could also run a clothesline.

I’ve set up chairs and hung the tent shell on them for a day or two to dry.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Why would you take a massage gun backpacking?

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

What about men’s underwear? Doesn’t need to be merino, just comfortable to wear over a few miles.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

You’re wearing boxers while hiking? That’s crazy to me, a guy on the internet.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Hdip posted:

That little tab sticking out of the inflate portion is to mess with when you're laying on it. If you pump it up to firm and want it to be a bit softer. You can use your finger to tap that little valve and let out tiny bits of air.

:hmmyes: Flick the bean to make it whistle. Got it.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Shockingly, NikWax is also against using (and doesn’t use) PFAS for its waterproofing. They get a small thumbs up until I find out they’re just using brominated agents

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

big scary monsters posted:

I'm looking for tent recommendations. I'm thinking ahead to next winter, looking for a tent primarily for XC ski touring in Norway and Sweden. Probably mostly short trips (2 overnights), but the occasional week away as well. Needs to fit two people and a pair of 25kg dogs. Expected conditions aren't that extreme since you aren't really at altitude and if it looks like a proper blizzard we'll stay home, but obviously you can get caught out and I'd prefer to be ready in that case.

I was pretty well decided on a Hilleberg Kaitum 3GT, the model is quite popular here and considered a good fit to local conditions. But it's also both on the more expensive and heavy side even among 4-season tents. Also I marked out the footprint at home and it's absolutely massive. That's very nice when the weather is terrible and part of why you go for the GT version, but it does make it a bit harder to use outside of the winter when you need to find flat ground and can't just stamp down the snow. Not sure if I'm just buying a lot more tent than I need.

My other tents are either tiny things aimed at fast and light alpinism or huge car camping monsters, so I'm not really experienced with the middle ground. Anyone have a favourite?

I’d say look into Nortent. They have a Vern 2 this is both lighter and cheaper than the Hilleberg you listed, though I didn’t check all the specs. We have their Gamme 6 for hot tent camping and love the hell out of it. Simple set up and tear down, color coded buckles, poles, armatures, and more guy lines than you’d ever need. They’ve become my recommendation for all weather tents in general, and the Vern looks pretty promising.

https://www.nortent.com/shop/12-vern-series/56-nortent-vern-2/

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

big scary monsters posted:

I hadn't considered a pyramid, that's an interesting idea but I think a floorless design will be a hard sell to my partner. Not sure how I ended up set on the Kaitum - I thought the Nammatj/Nallo might be a bit too narrow, but I'm coming around to them. And there is also a Nallo 4 which has loads of interior space while being lighter and not quite so long.

Somehow I'd never heard of this company, but they look cool, thanks! A tent stove would be sweet too, maybe for tent n+1. Although we do already have a cheap lavvo-style tent with a hole for a chimney...

Lavvos are very nice and practical, especially for high snow load. Might be worth just getting a cheap fold up titanium tent stove in the meantime to see if you need to upgrade. We went with a G Stove which is impractical for anything but bringing a sled or car camping, given the size and weight. Luckily that’s mostly what we do for winter camping.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Oh yeah, I wouldn’t bring it on your ski trip, but since you have it, it might be worth seeing if it can stand up to a snowshoe or hike in trip

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Hell, my Mountain Hardware Bishop Pass 0 smells like ducks if it gets wet

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

I’ve really only heard of the Wave+ as a solid recommendation on Leathermans

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

I’d bring two pair of long underwear, tops and bottoms, because you’re gonna sweat through em like regular underwear and you’ll want a dry pair for back at camp.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

When is the Alaska trip? There’s no mosquitoes in the Great Lakes right now and won’t be for roughly a month. I’d think there’s a week or two buffer between Alaska and here, bug-wise.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Would a towel be out of the question? Seems easy and you probably already own one.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

One of the best car camping accessories is the collapsible garbage can. You can get two of em for like $25, one for trash and the other for recycling. It's a hell of a lot better than just tying a bag to an awning or tent stake, and you can zip it shut to keep raccoons out of em at night.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Oracle posted:

I just use an old white rubbermaid with press open top lid and put it under the picnic table. to secure it. You can pack a lot of kitchen stuff in it that makes it grab and go. Do the same with a camp sink just two rubbermaid bins with a plastic dish drainer that nests inside perfectly and I can tuck in little things like towels and sponges and soap and hot pads, tea whatever. Also bring a 5 gallon water cooler for group trips that I can also pack a ton of stuff in like clothesline, cups, utensils, drink mix, ziplocs whatev. Basically everything should be dual use, the gimmicks are nice and all but car camping I am not caring about weight I'm caring about storage and compartmentalization that I can just grab and go when the mood strikes.

A kitchen trash bin sounds nice and all but there’s no way it would fit, since we already have all our kitchen stuff organized into Rubbermaid tubs. Space is more of a premium for our setup. 2 collapsible garbage cans pack down to about the size of a pizza box.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Lodge makes a cast iron griddle that’s flat on one side and ridged on the other and it fits perfectly on top of a Coleman stove.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Over burner griddles are a great way to find out that you really really want a level surface to cook on, not a picnic table.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Yooper posted:

My Wawona 6 literally arrived yesterday from REI... for $500. :saddowns:

I dunno if they’d do it, but it might be worth mentioning this to REI to see if they’d price match. Save them the hassle or a return.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

I use a Thermarest Luxury Map, but that was meant to double for winter camping due to its high R value.

e: also for size and weight constraints. We wanted something to fit in our cots and also in our hike in sled. Trying to hit a balance between R, size, and weight led us perpetually back to Thermarest.

Dr. Lunchables fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Jun 17, 2023

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

xzzy posted:

I like the widemouth for drinking too, but given that after all this time there is still no readily available / first party widmouth-to-28mm adapter so you can plug a sawyer right into the lid is absurd. Sure there's etsy solutions and 3d printed solutions but nalgene allegedly makes the most popular water bottle in the world and they can't be arsed to make a converter for the most popular backpacking water filter?

So my solution is a vecto->squeeze->hose->nalgene like some kind of street urchin.

It’s important to remember that reusable drinking bottles are a very very very small part of the Nalgene brand (now owned by Thermo Fisher Scientific). Their bread and butter is laboratory plastic ware, which they sell at a much higher volume. I won’t say Nalgene doesn’t care about the filter you’re talking about, but rather that they probably don’t know about it. If they did, I don’t know if the few thousand units they’d ship per year would make them move a muscle.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

xzzy posted:

Anyone got a favorite snack that fills the niche that cliff bars do, but isn't a clif bar?

I've kept them in my snack bag for many years because I need to keep a high carb+simple sugars option available and they're readily available and pretty resistant to melting. But the past year or two my tastes have changed and they just don't taste good.. I have to force them down and it sits badly in the stomach. I'm kinda sick of clif bars killing my appetite and am looking for other options.

Fast carbs and heat resistance are the most important traits. It'd be nice if any grocery store carried them but I'm fine ordering online too.

Lärabar has been a go to for us because they actually taste decent and aren’t made of corn. They’re almost all using dates as the core of the bars, but aren’t high in protein, if that’s important. I think the four to six ingredient list is pretty drat neat.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Ulesi posted:

Maybe the drat snakes will kick rocks

I have unfortunate news

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Getting myself one of these bad boys in 2 weeks!

And pairing it with a titanium four dog stove! - https://fourdog.com/ultra-light-ii/

This will be the most absurdly comfortable winter camping setup ever. Cant wait to use it this year!

Hell yeah fellow hot tenter.

Keep in mind that you’re still gonna need 0 degree bags, because you’re certainly not gonna get up every 1.75 hours to feed the stove.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Bingemoose posted:

Im curious to know how warm this will be once the stove runs out! let us know

In my experience, If you fill the stove and adjust the flu and dampers properly, you’ll be roughly 20-25 F above outdoor temps in the morning. This will vary on tent and stove size, as well as snowfall due to insulating properties, but it’s a significant difference compared to just sleeping in the cold.

If you wake up for the Night Pee ™ and toss extra on there you might wake up to a comfortable 50 inside the tent.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Man that wall tent looks awesome. So much room for activities!
I’ve never cooked on my tent stove, how is it for pan frying stuff? I feel like the temperature is so hard to regulate that I might gently caress stuff up with it and burn poo poo to the pan.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

I think the National Parks thread would be the logical place for you to start

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Pit zips are one of the most important items that none of my outerwear has. Winter jacket? Pit zips. Puffy coat? Pit zips. Waterproof shell? Pit zips.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

It’s not about managing temperature, it’s about managing humidity. Gotta let the sweat out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

armorer posted:

It always seemed to me like a cot would be pretty rough on the tent flooring. Is that not a valid concern?

Not bad if you’re harping beneath the floor. There’s less active wear with a cot since they don’t move or rub much when in use. If it’s a sharp rock concern, the cot neither addresses nor alleviates that.