Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
I'm in need of a new backpacking bag after probably 15 years with a REI 55L pack, and an ultralight pack is tempting but I'm a bit confused on the volumes I see people recommend. Most of my trips are 3 days, but I like to do one 5-6 day trip a season I felt like my old 55L pack was generally just barely big enough and often slightly too small for the longer stuff, but a lot of the packs I'm seeing recommended are in the 40L-ish main body volume range and that seems way too small, even with the big external pockets for light and bulky stuff? Is it a different approach to packing where bulky stuff like the bear can and/or tent body goes on the outside of the pack, or is all the UL gear packing down a lot smaller and its a full commitment to UL gear all the way through? I don't think I bring a lot of stuff and have a good sleeping bag and down jacket that both pack down well, but do have an older, bulky tent that I'm considering replacing. With most of the brands I'm looking at being smaller and not having free returns (very understandably) I'm hesitant to sight unseen buy a smaller pack and hope all my poo poo fits when it's time to go on my next trip.

For context, I'm considering the following packs:
- ULA Catalyst/Circuit
- Atom Mo 50/60
- Bonfus Framus 58
- Gregory Focal 58

If theres other brands or models I should consider, I'm very open to suggestions. I'm not too concerned with absolute minimum weight or a smaller brand, mostly just looking for a simple and durable pack that can carry 30-40lbs for 3-5(+) day trips.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
Thanks for the input, that Durston pack looks nice, I'll add it to the list I'm considering. Also the tent you mentioned, seems very affordable and while I wasn't really considering a tent that needed trekking poles to pitch, its a lot cheaper and lighter than some poled tents I was looking at. A friend brough a UL tent on a trip last summer and I was blown away that it was like waterbottle size packed vs my old Mountain Hardware Hubba Hubba, so I'm thinking with a new tent a UL type backpack would be nice, and even if I'm not trying to get down to a crazy base weight it'll shave a couple pounds.

I'm struggling to find anything between the 5lb Osprey big boys and the 2lb UL packs, I think ideally I'd find something in the ~3lb range that can carry 45lbs and is generally a stripped back pack in terms of design and complexity. Most of my long weekend trips I've got like 30lbs or less on my back but I can't justify a second pack for the 5-6 day trips or ones where I'm carrying in additional weight for climbing or fishing kit.