Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dick Ripple
May 19, 2021
You often see people who camp in winter and sleep on the ground using 2 sleeping pads, usually a combo of air/foam. In my opinion with your current set up you should be fine, unless you are one of those people who are always cold.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Ripple
May 19, 2021
Kifaru is still US made. Though it is geared towards hunting so not sure if you will find a pack that does not look at least slightly tacticool.

Dick Ripple
May 19, 2021
My Camelbak is starting to leak in weird places, and I do not think I can make proper repairs, lasted me a good 8 years so I cannot complain to much. However I always disliked how diffilcult it was to clean, and I noticed how some of the new ones open up for easier cleaning. Are these durable and leak proof? I hate having the inside of my rucksack all wet...

Dick Ripple
May 19, 2021
Morakniv have probably the best beginner, everday knives available. Not sure on the availability in the US though. I am certain all if not most are full tang, great grip, and easy to maintain/sharpen. I would suggest the stainless over the carbon, as the carbon will rust/stain if you do not keep it maintained.

Dick Ripple
May 19, 2021
Yeah, but most of those tents are for mountaineering or arctic conditions. I am not suprised to see a $700 rucksack that is no better than your army surplus stuff. Went to my local outdoors store a few months ago for a simple light spring rain jacket, and struggled to find anything under $300.

Dick Ripple
May 19, 2021
I just use my work issued safety sunglasses, only downside is I do not look as cool.... But I think most hardware stores should have cheap and reliable sunglasses, but as with most things they can get expensive.

Dick Ripple
May 19, 2021
This is my go to hammock, DD Hammock/Bivi
Diffilcult to beat for the price, and nothing additional needs to be bought if you are camping in good weather. If set up correctly can give you a great nights sleep in the outdoors.

Top and bottom insulation should be used if it is getting below 10 C at night, otherwise your usually sleep sack should do the trick. Oh, and in case you cannot find any trees nearby or are to tired to set it up it doubles as a bivi sack.

As was mentioned above, a tarp with ridgeline is highly recommended. This is my go to method https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=THckcO7A9ng

Dick Ripple
May 19, 2021
Should probably go by what the manufacturer recommends.

I generally just use vinegar/water in a spray bottle after every use. Just spray all over then rub down with a rag.

Dick Ripple
May 19, 2021
A basic hygiene kit would be recommended. I really like these https://amzn.eu/d/gmDEd7k, work much better than 'pre' moistened towels and you can basically store them forever in any bag/car without worrying about them drying out. Unfortunately I did not quickly find a place where they are sold in the US, but I am sure someone else makes something similiar.

Dick Ripple
May 19, 2021
Yeah, a single tent (spend money and get a quality/light one) that you will be carrying is probably the best option in regards to budget and being practical. Kids like camelbaks, also they are more willing to carry the water weight and if you have plenty of good water sources nearby teaching them to use a water filter properly is also a good way to keep weight down. Far as the food situation, dehydrated is the way to go and kids seem to actually enjoy the taste of most of the stuff,

Far as gear each kid should/will want or have.
Poncho: guess this depends on your climate and if rain can be expected, but it is a good way to keep them from getting miserable from sudden down pours.
Headlamps/flashlights: I would go with headlamps, come in handy if you are setting up or breaking down camp in the dark.
Clothing: spare socks, gloves, and a dry bag(s) for it to go in.
Rite in Rain notepad + pencil, map and compass.

My kids are bit younger and although they enjoy hiking and camping the boredom factor is usually what gets them (and me having to carry all their crap). I do not think that will change in the coming few years so having some sort of activities (bushcraft / boyscout stuff) for them to do on those overnighters is advised.

Dick Ripple
May 19, 2021

Morbus posted:

I also have had good luck with salomon for lightweight boots (as far as boots go) that fit wider feet. But if you're at all concerned about waterproofness, don't get a mid height boot, just get a boot.

Anything that's waterproof is going to become very waterlogged and take forever to dry once water gets inside the boot. And if the big, assuredly non-waterproof hole at the top is just barely above your ankle, that is guaranteed to happen in any conditions where waterproofness actually matters.

The problem with most full height boots is they tend to be heavier and decent leg gators perform the same function, if not bettter. If you plan on walking through swamps, bogs, or deepish streams a lot then maybe a high boot would suffice. For myself in the snow and most rainy conditions a mid size boot + gators is how I am going about. Also, I really dislike high boots in hill or mountain terrain as it reduces flexibility (I know it offers more support, but I also do not have the ankles of a 80 year old man).

Dick Ripple
May 19, 2021
Glad it worked out for you.
Even 'uninsulated' sleeping pads have an R-value, and I have seen quite of few youtube campers use one combined with a foam pad for good cold weather results. I think next time you go out, and if possible, try to place dryish foliage under your pad to increase both comfort and insulation.

Dick Ripple
May 19, 2021
I have used DT socks, and would recommend them. But I have found that Silverlight help prevent blisters much better, not exactly sure why... They also offer a lifetime guarantee.
https://silverlight.store/product/silverlight-socks/

Dick Ripple
May 19, 2021
I have been looking at these two. Have not tried them out, but from youtube and other reviews they seem well regarded.

https://www.fjallraven.com/uk/en-gb/bags-gear/tents-sleeping-bags/tents/abisko-lite-2

https://hilleberg.com/deu/zelt/red-label-zelte/nallo-3/

No need for customs fees.

Dick Ripple
May 19, 2021

incogneato posted:

I'm looking for a sled I can pull behind myself while snowshoeing this winter. Partly it will be to haul a toddler on our regular snowshoe adventures, but I also have wanted to try some basic winter camping for a while. Nothing real serious yet--probably just walking a couple hundred feet from my car at a sno park at first, but I do know of some lakes nearby that I could in theory do eventually.

I see some really fancy sleds/polks out there, but I don't really want to drop a ton of money in case it doesn't get used too much. On the other hand, this is a whole category that I know absolutely nothing about, so I'm worried about buying too cheap. Is something like this good enough? https://www.amazon.com/Shappell-Jet-Sled-Multi-Purpose/dp/B002RWBPQM/

I have used a pulk and one of these https://www.cybex-online.com/de/at/...z4aAndDEALw_wcB and prefer the latter as it seems to not want to tip over as easiely in hilly terrain. If you do not already have the kid wagon it will not be cheap, but at least the wagon you can use year round.

Dick Ripple
May 19, 2021
Gearskeptic does some pretty deep dives into many things hiking related, in this case food. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iqgayipoNWA

I prefer to not eat much when hiking (I do get hungry and I normally have something incase of emergencies), as there seem to be a lot of benefits of not eating all the time, feeling a bit hungry, and getting exercise at the same time.

Dick Ripple
May 19, 2021
I also thought about the Swagman, but for me the price just does not justify as I already have a poncho and a light sleeping bag and it would probably just be something I carried around on day hikes for just in case.
I think for the reasons you mentioned, it is not a bad idea if you do not already have the specific purpose items.

Dick Ripple
May 19, 2021

incogneato posted:

When our kid was still a baby, we used a Baby Bjorn front carrier. It worked great other than getting you (and the kid) real sweaty on hot days.

I have used both (not those exact brands) with multiple children, and I would not go with a front carrier unless it was extreme cold or just a short walk. Are you sure you have all the straps properly tightened/positioned? 30 lbs is not nothing, especially hiking with any elevation.

Fortunately we have found that at age 3+ the kids mostly prefer to walk, and only go in the backpack when tired/cranky.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Ripple
May 19, 2021
What is amazon vine? Are you being sent free things to review?