Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

Any suggestions on water purification for a couple? I had an MSR pump filter that took forever and clogged pretty quickly, switched to an MSR Trailshot which worked great out of the box but still a lot of pumping (what a grip strength workout though!) and the filter appears to have failed within a few uses (completely clogged despite backflushing, and this was filtering water from the top of Lake Michigan, so virtually clear/clean already...)

I'm thinking gravity system, but can't decide which one. We have two 3L Osprey bladders for our packs and a 6L MSR Dromedary for pre-filling when car camping. I like the idea of a 6L system so I can fill either both bladders or the "basecamp" bladder in one go (so the Katadyn Gravity Camp for example) but I also like having an in-line filter for more versitility (e.g. Platypus GravityWorks). Both have mixed reviews online, but folks seem generally happier with the Platypus). Thoughts??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

OSU_Matthew posted:

Big hammock fan, and I’m a side/stomach sleeper normally. What’s nice is that a hammock fabric cradles you perfectly so you don’t have pressure points, and I can flip into a fetal position and splay my feet to get comfortable a lot better than on a ground pad &mummy bag. Only downside is not sleeping with your SO, but if you’re both hot and sweaty, that’s actually a relief imho.

Yup! Go for a quilt, which is basically half a sleeping bag. Or unzip a down bag and use it as a quilt.

Highly recommend Hammock Gear’s Econ line:

https://hammockgear.com/economy-burrow/

I own several of their quilts and under quilts and have been super happy with them over the years. Plus they’re made locally to me in Columbus, so that’s pretty neat, and they’re affordable and customizable for height etc. The down they use in their Econ line is of slightly lower fill power than their premium down, and the fabric is slightly different but still super soft and comfy. However the grey duck down fill power they use now is still higher than my 6 year old premium white down quilts were to begin with, so it’s all relative. You basically gain 1-2 ounces and save a hundred bucks, which is a great deal in my book.

Also, if you’re looking at hammocks, I highly recommend Warbonnet Blackbird XLC:

https://www.warbonnetoutdoors.com/product/blackbird-xlc/

Expensive, but durable, easiest and quickest suspension I’ve found, comfiest with the foot shelf, and I’ve found that buying well the first time saves money in the end.

Also recommend looking at Dutchware Gear:

https://dutchwaregear.com/

He’s always got clever and awesome products for hammocking.

Plus! Since you motorcycle, Hammocks are great to take on the bike because how well they pack down to easily stowable pouches. No long awkward rods for the tent.

All good recommendations. If you're looking at Hammock Gear also check out Enlightened Equipment (especially if you're looking for synthetic fill options). They make custom stuff but also have off-the-shelf items (mostly returns I'd guess) at a discount.

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

My wife had a Marmot Precip that did the same thing - delaminating/flaking off - after about a year. If it was after a few years sure, but based on how fast it happened I can't recommend that model (even though it seems to be the go-to cheap rain jacket these days).

I got a Patagonia Stretch Rainshadow that is EXCELLENT - fully waterproof, very lightweight, and stretchy. As a bonus it doesn't feel as "clingy" to the skin in hot weather either.

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

Mozi posted:

So I remembered I had a pair of Xero sandals I had forgotten about and pulled them out again and think they are really fantastic - comfortable, good traction, and you can really really feel the ground. So based on that I ordered some Xero Terraflex shoes and I absolutely hate them. It's the worst combination between regular shoes and barefoot-style. You can hardly feel the ground yet the sole isn't comfortable or supportive, it has really poor traction, and something about my right foot doesn't work well with it and is still hurting a day later after an hour-long hike. Just a heads up for anyone else out there.

Counterpoint, they are awesome trail running shoes and MTB flat pedal shoes, but I understand what you're saying about less ground feel, that's kinda the point tho. I've never had traction problems w them but I'm in west MI so sandy soils and not a ton of elevation.

They're like an even more minimal Altra Superior. If you want "support" from your shoe sole tho, look elsewhere, cuz like Altras they are completely flat (which I love). Merrell Vapor Glove maybe? To me those have a heinously high arch but YMMV.

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

FCKGW posted:

Big fan of the spoon shaped bags like the Nemo Disco.

Wife and I just got Disco 30s - the ability to sleep on your side with one or both knees "out" is astounding. My long packs up as small as my summer bag (a 50 degree synthetic Sierra Designs quilt). And they zip together - bonus!

Have yet to try it in the field, just looking to stay warm at like 40 for spring/fall trips.

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

Hey gear peeps - I have an extra CampSaver 20% off code for an order over $100 - expires 4/25/22. Valid on full price items only:

SUBCS2C9CC2A

Hope it helps someone!

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Do any hiking shoe brands make good everyday shoes? I try to wear normal-looking shoes, but my feet are just too wide for most of them. Hiking shoes actually fit my feet, but I don't think I'm ready to wear Moabs every day.

There are some companies that make "foot shaped" casual shoes - Xero, Lems, Vivobarefoot come to mind. Note they are all zero drop...

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I have some zero drop trail running shoes that I like, but I wonder how I would feel wearing them on pavement 3-4 miles every day. Some of these are exactly the kind of thing I'm looking for though.

While I don't have actual evidence of this, it sure seems to make sense that wearing a minimalist shoe day to day could help build foot strength and function (barring any existing issues one might have). Full disclosure - I'm a minimalist shoe user, but I'll tell you what after a decade of zero drop shoes (cushioned for running and minimalist for daily) nothing makes my feet/arches, knees, and back hurt like wearing a shoe with a heel (my wildland fire boots, dress shoes, etc).

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I think I'll actually give some of these a shot, thanks. Wish they were in stores somewhere around here so that I could try them on. That's the annoying thing about big feet -- most shoe stores are worthless, and online shopping is a crapshoot.

I believe REI carries Xero and their return policy is very generous.

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

CopperHound posted:

I just binned my REI flash pad from the frustration of it getting a new leak every time I use it. I wasn't poking holes in it. It was failing at the welds.

I think I'm going to get a z-lite and just deal with switching sides I sleep on when my hip and shoulder starts to bother me unless y'all can tell me the REI flash pad is particularly bad and other pads don't do that.

I swear I heard this was a known issue that they were offering refund/replacement for but I cannot find evidence online of such. Give REI a call??

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

Patagonia Quandary have always served me well. A bit more tapered fit than Prana if that's your style.

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

Nth-ing the Disco love - wife and I have 30's and they're at least good to their comfort rating. Mega breathable too so much less likely to get sweaty than other bags I've used.

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

The thing people don't get about modern Altras are that they aren't just for wide feet, they're feet-shaped. They have three different lasts from a narrow one that fits my b/c width feet all the way up to the old original last like the Lone Peaks. The difference between them and most shoes is that they don't taper to a vanity point in the front (and therefore have room for, oh I dunno, all your toes).

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

You can get close with some tinfoil, but yeah pie irons are amazing

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

tarlibone posted:

I've seen pie irons, usually sold as grilled cheese pans or something like that, in the camping section of various stores ever since I was a kid. I nene considered getting one because it always seemed like holding a piece of cast iron on a long rod would get awkward and tiring pretty quickly.

By the time I started seeing things you could drive into the ground to help support the thing, I'd moved on to outdoor cooking that was more like what I do at home on the range top and baking quick and yeast breads in Dutch ovens.

We just set em on the ground in embers/by the fire. No need to hold a-la marshmallows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

The Fool posted:

get twin sized fitted sheets

Exped makes fitted sheets specifically for some of their double wide stuff, maybe other pad manufacturers do too?

It is nice to have so your skin isn't directly on the pad material, but maybe more of a car-camping thing vs proper backpacking. And some pads now have a less "sticky" layer on the top.