Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ASSTASTIC
Apr 27, 2003

Hey Gusy!
One piece of equipment that always goes into every single med kit I have is a roll of athletic tape. Get GOOD tape (johnson&johnson). If you get a nice gash out on the trail and have bullshit tape in your kit, it won't stick to poo poo if you sweat. I was hiking one time and hit a section of jagged rocks. Tripped on one of the rocks and got a nice gas on my shin. Wasn't horrible enough that I needed stitches, but wasn't fun either. No way a bandaid would be able to close up the wound, but I did have a roll of tape.

Made a makeshift absorbent pad (with the tape) and taped up my shin. Only issue I had after that was the lack of hair from removing the tape afterwards. Athletic tape is great because it not only sticks well to skin, and sweaty skin, but to itself extremely well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ASSTASTIC
Apr 27, 2003

Hey Gusy!

OSU_Matthew posted:

Thanks for the great contributions! I'll be adding those to the OP!

Question for you guys, I'm thinking about buying a rodent proof sack for storing my food. Normally I either hang a silnylon bag or bring my bear canister, and I haven't had a problem, but this weekend a pony ripped up someone's food bag in the Grayson Highlands so I'm thinking I'd like something a bit more durable but not quite bear canister heavy.

I'm torn (wamp womp) between the Ursack Minor and Ratsack... anyone here use either of those, or should I do something else entirely?

On the same topic, someone showed me the PCT Hang over the weekend and thought I'd post it here:

When you pull on the cord, it just raises the bag up!

Holy gently caress, that Ursack costs 80 bucks for a bag? I mean, I get why people use bear cans, but was that dude's bag that the pony got into hung correctly or on the ground? I've always used a stuff sack/silnylon bag to hang my food and 80 bucks sounds a bit too much for a sack. Any reason why its so expensive?

ASSTASTIC
Apr 27, 2003

Hey Gusy!

bongwizzard posted:

I got turned on to that stuff years ago and it's pretty much replaced Band-Aids for me. And yeah, if you can't stand to use alcohol to loosen it first, you gonna get baby-butt smooth legs once you get that tape off.

I was actually shopping for first aid supplies the other day and came across what appears to be a consumer version of Quick clot. I was in a hurry and didn't really read the package, but it seem to be like single use tubes, but they were pretty large, like the size of those singleserving ice tea powders. Has anyone else seen this stuff?

You can get quicklot at REI and I highly recommend people put one into their med kits. Usually served to help gunshot wounds, this could be really life saving on a trail if someone gets seriously hurt.

ASSTASTIC
Apr 27, 2003

Hey Gusy!

Escape Addict posted:

Does anyone have any gear recommendations for hot, humid, tropical environments? South America, Africa, Southeast Asia, etc.

The information in the OP is super great, especially for Canada and New Zealand-type environments, but what kind of gear should I get if I want to avoid hyperthermia, not hypothermia.

In jungles, the air is like a sauna and sweat often doesn't evaporate. When there is no canopy, the direct sunlight can be loving scorching when you're close to the equator.

Also, trench foot and other fungal infections are more likely since it's so hot and moist all the time. Anyone have any first-hand experience trekking through this kind of terrain?

I don't have a ton of experience with tropical climate, but I do have experience with pretty humid environments. I would definitely suggest a bug net for your head/face. Also, I went on 2 hikes with my then girlfriend now wife during the summer in hawaii before noon. I didn't realize how much "friction" was happening in my inner thighs. I'm definitely not a fat guy, but I got those tree trunk thighs.

Now, I never go hiking without #1 boxer briefs #2 Body Glide. Body Glide goes on like a deodorant stick, but prevents blistering and rubbing. Works for feet as well.

In regards to feet, make sure you use liner socks.

Levitate posted:

It's tear resistant, basically bear proof if used properly, and lighter than bear cans. Not approved in all places though.

Not sure it's rodent proof though

Wow. I can see the appeal of a bag like that instead of a bear can just in weight saving & bulk factor, but 80 bucks seems extreme. I wonder if they have a patent or something on it.

ASSTASTIC
Apr 27, 2003

Hey Gusy!

OSU_Matthew posted:

So I finally heard back from Lowa, and it looks like I'm going to officially be getting my boots resoled by them, and it's only gonna be 85$! :woop:

For reference, I had a catastrophic blowout on my trip to Grayson Highlands last weekend:

Fortunately I had a pair of chaco sandals with me for camp shoes, (mainly because I saw the foam mid layer starting to blow chunks off the side right before the trip), so I was able to finish the hike no problem. However, I'd really love to get some lighter sandals for camp shoes that I can use as backup hiking sandals if something like this happens again. Someone suggested Xero Sandals to me... anyone have any thoughts or recommendations? The chacos just aren't comfy for long distances, and they're pretty drat heavy.

Fuckln nice. Glad they are taking care of you. When I worked at REI, and if someone was going to get serious into hiking, once they found a boot that works awesome for them, I'd suggest they get 2 pairs. More often than not, when the season changes, so do the boot designs. Even when the boot style name hasn't changed, the design of it did in someway when the company updates it. Some people might hate the new design and you are SOL. The updates might not happen every season, but even after 1 years time, they might revamp and the boot you once knew is gone. Then you are slumming it through the REI garage sale used boot bins to find a matching pair.

I didn't take my own advice and I my main hiking boot is a The North Face boot that fits like a glove. I only have 1 pair.

Also gently caress the haters, chacos + socks are the perfect camp shoe combination.

ASSTASTIC
Apr 27, 2003

Hey Gusy!
If anything, a pair of super light flip flops like the cheap ones from Hawaii called "locals" are great to have as camp shoes. I only like Chacos because as OSU_Matthew experienced, poo poo got real when his boots exploded on him mid hike.

Chacos are excellent for times like that. Also I can wear my wool socks with them. Only downside is they are heavy as gently caress.

ASSTASTIC fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Apr 25, 2017

ASSTASTIC
Apr 27, 2003

Hey Gusy!

Escape Addict posted:

Thank you for the advice, ASSTASTIC.

What kind of underwear do you guys recommend? Is the exofficio boxer brief the best? Smart wool? What works well for you?

Exofficio boxer brief. Expensive but worth it. I would also look at underarmor boxer briefs. Make sure you maybe get one pair and try them out. The main advantage is they dry REALLY fast so if you want to you can go commando while you wash and dry your underpants. Hung up they probably dry in 30 to 1 hour if not shorter once rung out.

Again, I can't emphasize enough, body glide. I do not work for them, but I am an avid user. Before I quit REI i seriously bought like 5 bars before my discount was gone.

ASSTASTIC fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Apr 25, 2017

ASSTASTIC
Apr 27, 2003

Hey Gusy!

Levitate posted:

As I understand it that's why you're looking for booty shorts

Easier to twerk.

I like gold bond as well, but never felt it worked as a good enough barrier for friction. Also, reminds me of the loving leather pants issue from that one episode of Friends.

ASSTASTIC
Apr 27, 2003

Hey Gusy!
Never cotton when you are hiking. You can have a bandana, but don't gently caress around with that poo poo because it will cool your body down FAST if its raining or you slip and fall crossing a creek or something. It also takes FOREVER to dry.

Clothing is really environment dependent and if you are in a arid, dry area, cotton might be good, but even then, how many people go hiking in the desert? Dress for your environment, but there are a lot better options than cotton.

I hate recommending crazy gear for people, but when it comes to jackets, I used to always recommend Arcteryx. Their quality has gone down since moving operation to China, while their prices went up. Kinda lovely, but if you can find their Made in Canada stuff, then you know its quality. I've been using my Theta AR since 2009 and its held up beautiful. I've had to send it in once for a de-lamination in the interior of the jacket, but Arcteryx fixed it for free. Wash your jackets and re-waterproof them every year, or depending on how often/dirty they are.

Also, REI Anniversary sale going on soon. Not bad deals, but its basically same poo poo every year, just updates. Ask me about the real place to get deals from REI :)

ASSTASTIC fucked around with this message at 21:22 on May 17, 2017

ASSTASTIC
Apr 27, 2003

Hey Gusy!

Difference between hiking in the desert and living in the desert. Also, cotton can chaff like a motherfucker.

ASSTASTIC
Apr 27, 2003

Hey Gusy!
Late replies, but:

Car camping light? Propane all the way. SUPER bright and will light up your area no problem. Propane can be bought cheap on sale. I love my century light. Battery powered. or solar powered, lights for car camping sucks, especially when you are trying to cook.

Backpacking light? Headlamp only. I have a Petzl Tikka XP that I love to death. Great battery life, but make sure you pack some extras just in case. I usually carry a smaller torch with me just in case as well. Usually Fenix. I try to stay standard sizes such as AA or AAA lights, but I know that CR123a lights such as a streamlight are fantastic and those batteries don't leak if left in the torch.

Steripen: I've never been a fan of them because when I worked at REI, we got a LOT returned from people getting sick. You do have to have almost crystal clear water to ensure that the light can hit all of bacteria, so you might as well filter somehow to ensure that. Even then, I don't take chances when it comes to water, and even though its wasteful, I usually filter using my MSR Miniworks EX, then boil. Sounds like a lot, and it is, but worth it with that kind of peace of mind.

Also, gently caress the haters, I always use hiking poles. I don't care if I look like a loving grandpa at 35 while using them, I'm saving my knees and ankles because I'm getting another stability point.

Also, Mora 2000, bushcraft knife is a great starter and very affordable. It's not full tang, but will work well.

ASSTASTIC
Apr 27, 2003

Hey Gusy!

Dukket posted:

For thread relevant chat: Do silk bag liners help much with temp? I'm naturally pretty greasy so it would be good for my bag, but would also like it if my bag was a bit warmer ( and didn't have to buy a new bag).

Silk liners help a little with warmth and help with keeping your bag clean from your body. I wouldn't say it raises the temp rating of your bag a certain amount, but will help. One thing to consider is your sleeping pad situation if you are looking for warmth. You lose a huge percentage of your body heat from the ground alone as the ground acts like a heat sink. Consider your environment and where/how you are sleeping and put the sleeping pad into the equation.

Here's a quick breakdown of sleeping bags & pads material

Down:
Pro: Light, packs down VERY small, very good temp bags
Con, if you get it wet, you are screwed, needs to be "fluffy" for it to work, might need to store in a dry bag, usually expensive

Synthetic:
Pro: Will not lose temp value when wet, doesn't need, depending on the bag, can be a LOT cheaper than down, but it depends on the bag and the usage.
Con: Bulky, heavy, takes a lot of space.

Foam Pads
Pro: No inflating needed, Do not need to worry about being punctured, cheap
Con: Bulky, needs to be strapped on the outside of the pack usually, usually not a super great R value

Inflatable Pads
Pro: Packs down VERY small, not super expensive
Con: Can be punctured leaving you without a pad (bad idea), need to carry around a repair kit, usually not a great r-value, need to be inflated.

Hybrid Foam/inflatable Pads
Pro: Can be more puncture resistant than inflatable pads, middle of the road bulkyness, usually great r-value
Con: Can be bulky due to foam, depends on pad, but might not need to be strapped on the outside, expensive, still need to carry around repair kit. Usually self inflating, but you might need to inflate it a little yourself.

FogHelmut posted:

Hopefullly I'm going to be doing some car camping in the Southern California area. I'm looking for a tent, and/or other gear. Weight isn't much of a concern, though I'm not really looking for anything larger than in the 4-6 person range. Breaking the bank, however, is a concern. I've been looking at Alps Mountaineering and CORE Equipment - something a step up from Coleman stuff, but not anything super high end. Although I read somewhere recently that Coleman was making an effort to improve their quality?

I don't know how much of a difference it makes, its pretty dry here most of the time. Most of my camping experience is in the East Coast, generally with high humidity and dense mosquitos. I don't think those concerns come into play around here.

Any suggestions? Most of the internet seems to think "you can't possibly camp without $1000 worth of gear." But I'm car camping, not hiking.

COSTCO. Seriously.

I got a awesome 5 person coleman tent that is set up in probably 5 minutes. fits perfect in my roof box. If it loving sucks or if it breaks, return it. I loving love costco for car camping gear. You can't go wrong.

ASSTASTIC fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Jun 13, 2017

ASSTASTIC
Apr 27, 2003

Hey Gusy!

Dukket posted:

[quote="ASSTASTIC" post="473323984"]
Silk liners help a little with warmth and help with keeping your bag clean from your body. I would say it raises a certain temp rating of your bag, by a certain amount, but will help. One thing to consider is your sleeping pad situation if you are looking for warmth. You lose a huge percentage of your body heat from the ground alone as the ground acts like a heat sink. Consider your environment and where/how you are sleeping and put the sleeping pad into the equation.

--------------------------

Bag and Pad I've got covered. Ultimately I think I should have gone with a different bag, but thats another story. Neoair xlite for sleeping pad and my only complaint is how load it is.

Ah, so were you only looking to see if the liner will keep your bag less greasy?

ASSTASTIC
Apr 27, 2003

Hey Gusy!
^^^^^^ Also, Costco has a better return policy than REI now when it comes to their camping gear. REI still does offer lifetime warranty on defective products, but the "I don't like it anymore" return policy is limited to 1 year. ^^^^^^^

Moras on sale: https://smile.amazon.com/s/browse/r...KRAFXD5WWCHBC68

For those that do not know, Mora knives are regarded as the best bang for buck knives ever. My favorite is not on sale, which is the Mora 2000, but any of those listed are fantastic knives, even the 8.99 one. I plan on buying a few and tossing them into trunks of my vehicles for utilitarian purposes. Cheap enough to lose and not cry about, good enough to baton wood with if need be.

ASSTASTIC fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Jun 13, 2017

ASSTASTIC
Apr 27, 2003

Hey Gusy!

Is there a bigger image of this? Its hard to read, but looks really interesting.

ASSTASTIC
Apr 27, 2003

Hey Gusy!
^^^^^^^What were you doing when it came to cleaning your boots after hikes? Its recommended that you clean your boots after every/every other hike because dirt and wear and tear can break down the water repellency of boots. Using a brush to scurb off dirt as well as shampoo them down. You also need to to reapply DWR to boots as well at LEAST every year. I do this to my jackets and boots every year and haven't had an issue with them soaking up water.^^^^^^^^^^^

forkbucket posted:

I'm going on a trip soon with some friends to Trolltunga in Norway, including an overnight in the area. These last couple years have seen me revise most of my equipment to lighter versions and I'm getting dangerously close to being ultralight. (Yay for no longer being a poor student!)

Usually my friends and I hammock camp, so I'm using my hammock tarp as a shelter (it has door flaps on either side so it should provide ample protection). This is partly because none of us own a tent, and partly because I want to keep my set up as light as possible. This means I'll be sleeping on the ground on my 1/4" thick foam pad, which is thinner than my old pad. My old pad was the cheapest budget pad in the store, bought who knows how many years ago. It has since been transformed into a cozy for my friend's home brewing kit. No idea what the R-value of my old pad was, but apparently this newer 1/4" one is around R-value 0.90. Hopefully that'll be warm enough, but I run hot so who knows!

Another thing I'm debating trying out: Using trail runners instead of my traditional mountain boots. I've been reading a bunch about using trail runners in stead of traditional boots, with the pros and cons of both. Most people who write about it on the internet seem to be in the USA. Ask any Norwegian and they'll balk at the idea of using anything less than a 1.2 kg boot in the mountains, so it makes me feel like I'm breaking some unwritten rule by doing it. :ohdear:

I've read tips like bringing a warm dry pair of socks to change into once you get into camp, then putting bread bags over your dry socks before putting em back into the trail runners to help dry the shoes and keep your feet dry.

Anybody here Scandinavian and/or have experience using trail runners in Norwegian mountains? Any other tips or pointers? I'm still a bit on the fence about it myself. The planned trip is in the beginning of July, so the temperatures where we're going could be anywhere from 5-20 degrees Celcius, but the average is about 9-10 C for that time of year.

I'm not Norwegian by any respects, but I can comment on the footwear aspect. I can understand where the locals feel that going without hiking boots is a bad idea. What you gain from boots over trail runners is ankle stability. I see that you are going lighter and lighter in your setup, but I swear I've gotten my ankles saved by my boots more times than I'd like to admit. Even though they are heavier, knowing that I won't completely bust up my ankle if I misstep. One thing though which can counter this argument is that a heavier pack can exacerbate a sprained ankle if you misstep, so if your pack is lighter, there might be lower impact if you sprain it.

I feel you should do what feels good to you. I have kind of fragile ankles, so I don't risk it. I actually pack knee and ankle braces with me on backpacking trips just in case(and I've used them!) when I step wrong on a root or stone.

Another advantage of boots is stream crossing. If you have a waterproof boot, stream crossing is no problem and your feet won't get wet at all. If you are in non-goretex trail runners, your feet will definitely get wet and will take a while to dry unless you are wearing really breathable/thin trail runners which are almost sandals. You risk blisters when you do this if your feet aren't given the chance to dry an adequate amount. You do not want to get your feet wet at the temperature you are going to be at.

I completely agree with the sock advice. Bring extra pairs to change into. I'm not sure about the bread bag trick, but another thing you can do is bring a pair of sandals which would let your boots/shoes dry out when you are at camp(Yes, I know you are trying to backpack light).

ASSTASTIC fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Jun 14, 2017

ASSTASTIC
Apr 27, 2003

Hey Gusy!
Double Post.

ASSTASTIC
Apr 27, 2003

Hey Gusy!

Alehkhs posted:

Anyone have any opinions on the sleeping pads sold at Costco stores? Good for (non-ultralight) backpacking? What sort of return policy does Costco in the event of a leak/other issue?

You literally can return anything to costco as long as they can look it up EXCEPT for TVs, cell phones, dvd players, aka "consumer electronics" and there is a 90 day return policy on those. I've heard horror stories of a guy that would buy produce, use some, and let the rest rot, return it to costco and buy more produce, basically scamming them. I think they banned him. No time limit for those other things than consumer electronics.

The thing is, costco membership is privilege....and that privilege can be revoked, so don't abuse their generous return policy and you should be fine. At REI, our Loss Prevention Department would flag your account if you had over 75% of your purchases returned. We would revoke your membership if that happened.

ASSTASTIC
Apr 27, 2003

Hey Gusy!

FCKGW posted:

Went car camping last weekend and realized the kids novelty sleeping bags don't work at all in 35 degree nights. We were mistakable and came home early.

Looking at getting new bags, should I get something geared towards kids or is an adult bag fine? Ages are 4 and 6.

Get gear towards kid sizes right now if you can afford it. The adult size bags are going to be more expensive as well as they will have to "warm up" the entire bag with their body heat. REI makes great kids stuff that actually "grows" with them. Meaning, I remember seeing a jacket that was sewn small, then there is different colored thread on the inside parents can cut which makes the jacket bigger and sleeves longer as they grow older. Apparently they do that with their sleeping bags as well:

https://www.rei.com/product/845512/rei-co-op-kindercone-sleeping-bag-kids

I suggest you check them out.

ASSTASTIC
Apr 27, 2003

Hey Gusy!

FogHelmut posted:

Oh, I have a 7 month old son, I haven't even thought about what to do with him. I guess this time of year, anywhere I'd be considering has lows in the 60's, so that's not really a big deal. What do you do with a baby otherwise?

I have a 2 year old and we went to Yellowstone and camped for the 10 day trip. He was 1.5 at the time and we were car camping. I used the REI queen size inflatable bed and he slept fine in it. Nights got cold and he likes to kick the blankets off, but we just kept a beanie on him and kept checking to ensure he was in the blankets with us. This is the one we used:

https://www.rei.com/product/878774/rei-co-op-kingdom-sleep-system-queen

Its great system and does go on sale as well.

ASSTASTIC
Apr 27, 2003

Hey Gusy!

thatguy posted:

My third prolite thermarest has failed in the past 2.5 years, all at the same weak spot, with the valve starting to leak and then get worse until 3-4 hours in it becomes flaccid.

REI rep said the REI branded stuff has at least not been a manufacturing problem. It may not matter for you weekend warrior types, but for 120 dollars I'd think cascade would do a better job of QC

Cascade designs should stand by their poo poo if you keep getting a leak in the same spot. If you got the mattress from REI, just return to them. If you got it from somewhere else, try to contact CD directly and get them to fix the problem.

ASSTASTIC
Apr 27, 2003

Hey Gusy!
Double post.

ASSTASTIC
Apr 27, 2003

Hey Gusy!

bongwizzard posted:

I want to get some cheap-ish trekking poles to use for water crossings and general wading use. I want them to be sturdy and with ambidextrous grips. I don't care too too much about weight as I will only be carrying a single one most of the time, but would like something that is easy to expand/collapse as I am usually going to be carrying a fishing rod in my other hand. Can anyone recommend something?

Not cheap, but my favorite are my black diamond CF poles because I don't have to gently caress around with a twist lock.

ASSTASTIC
Apr 27, 2003

Hey Gusy!
Late to the party but I'd like to chime in.

Stoves: I have a MSR Reactor, and that's my go-to backpacking stove. Its by all means not light at all, uses a can, but its a all in one system. Doesn't have a piezo, but is EXTREMELY fuel efficient. If I run out of fuel, pot can be used next to a fire no problem.

I'm not a ultralight backpacker, so redundancy is key in some respects, so I always carry a flresteel just in case. It lights my stove, but also can be used to light a fire as well. As mentioned before, a bic lighter too.

For water purification, I've always used a MSR Miniworks EX. Again, not light, but one of my favorite pump filters. Doesn't attach to a bladder, but screws onto a nalgene just fine. I always carry extra purification tablets if my pump goes down. I was thinking of adding a lifestraw just in case.

To me, water is one of the 3 essentials you cannot go without, so I don't gently caress around with it. I don't put my trust into a UV light nor just trying to go commando and not treating my water somehow.

ASSTASTIC
Apr 27, 2003

Hey Gusy!
Relevant AvE reviewing a MSR water filter:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vbdQcW2gwMM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ASSTASTIC
Apr 27, 2003

Hey Gusy!

OSU_Matthew posted:

Ehhhhh... Not really? Goretex is technically breathable, but not really if you're doing any kind of activity where you'd be perspirating. Pit zips only work if you're a climber, because the upwards motion of your arms create a bellows effect that you don't get in hiking or biking. In practice, you're going to get wet from either perspiration or the rain. Mainly for me my rain jacket is a guard against hypothermia when the weather is colder.

I do like my Marmot Precip jacket, and I think I paid sixty bucks for the previous year's model on sale. I don't think paying any more than that would get you any better performance or anything, except perhaps lighter weight and stuff, which is great for obvious reasons.

Rain paints are a terrible concept in practice, and I don't know anyone I've hiked with that has ever had a good experience with them or didn't regret putting them on after an hour or so.

I actually haven't used my rain jacket in awhile, I've actually taken to wearing my thermoball hooded jacket because it does a great job of keeping me warm and defleclecting most of the rain. Last trip I took to Monongahela NF it was raining and in the forties, and the thermoball was great.

As someone who lives in Seattle and lives in a rain jacket 9 months of the year, pit zips are the poo poo, regardless if you are climbing or not. What you should be doing to combine cooling effects is not locking down your cuffs if you have your pitzips open. Opposite effect if you are trying stay warm, close pit zips, close cuffs. As always, layer up so you can shed or put on clothing depending on activity.