Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

A bunch of the trails around here have guest books at the trail head. Write down your contact info and your expected return date and the rangers check it regularly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Does anyone have a favorite site for generating printable maps with gpx paths? I’m thinking something nice enough that I could take to a print shop and then frame.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Thermacell’s are fine but they’re basically just pic’s

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I have a couple of these Patagonia shirts and really like them.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I just ordered the Eureka Kohana 4. There is surprisingly little information about this tent out there, but on paper it checks all of my boxes. We’ll see what it’s like when it comes in I guess.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I’m addicted to icebreakers merino tshirts, they are not in the budget category however

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I don’t bring my hatchet backpacking, it stays in the car camping box

Machete is useful sometimes though

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I can’t think of any reason to get rid of my Coleman dual fuel stove

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Unrelated, thank you thread for the helinox recommendations, I bought two sunset chairs and they’re fantastic

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

How old was the tent? I return stuff in-store at REI all the time

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

If the item was purchased at REI and is less then a year old you can do a no-question return and they will give you a full refund

Most garage sale and attic items come from these returns.

Otherwise you should have sold it locally, but too late now I guess

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I like prana pants, I’ll see if I can get a link to a specific style for you

E: they don’t appear to make the style I have anymore, but the zion or the four corners both look similar

The Fool fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Sep 16, 2021

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

What size are you thinking? I have the osprey talon 22 and am very very happy with it

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I carry a leatherman crater regularly, and keep a leatherman style ps in my day pack.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

something like the garmin gpsmap line or the inreach explorer

none of the watches are going to do what you want, and as above all of the options will be less reliable than a piece of paper

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Generate a map on caltopo with your route and waypoints and whatever info layers you want, then print it on regular paper and shove it in a ziplock bag.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I followed these ( https://www.rei.com/blog/snowsports/diy-make-your-own-pulk-sled ) instructions to make mine and it was really straightforward.

The grommets are optional if you don't have the tool.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

gu's exist, would that work for you?

Also, things like, cookies or quaker granola bars fill in just fine too

Clif bars aren't special

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

alnilam posted:

That reminds me, someone here a while ago recommended putting PB and J on a tortilla and rolling it up. It has become a favorite trail food and road trip food, crucially it is also liked by my 4 year old

I do this and add a banana. The tortillas wrap around half a banana nicely so I get two easy wraps

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I like to layer my r1 hoodie with a houdini jacket, works well for a huge range of conditions

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

guppy posted:

I have a weird use case that is not camping-related, but camping gear is probably the most useful way to address it. I am finding myself in situations where I am out and about and I need to feed my preschooler. Occasionally myself as well, but mostly her. As I am sure you all know, preschoolers make an incredible mess with everything at all times, and food is no exception, so I don't want her to eat in my car; last time I had her sit on the edge of the trunk of my car (an Outback) and she made a huge mess there too and it was a big pain in the rear end to clean.

This need is becoming frequent enough that I'd like to address it. This sounds slightly nuts as I'm typing it out, but I was thinking of getting a small camping table that I can keep stowed in my car, and I'm looking for recommendations. Because of the use case, my priorities are 1. hard surface so it's easy to clean and 2. small stowed size. (EDIT: Oh, and quick to set up/tear down.) I was thinking about the Stoic Dirtbag Side Table -- it's cheap, it's small, my two other experiences with Backcountry's house brand have been decent -- although I'm wondering if I should look at something larger that could accommodate 2-3 people. Probably not worth it though since I want to keep the stowed size down as much as possible.

Any other suggestions? I already have a couple camp chairs although I might wind up getting another one if there's something that folds up tinier.

not crazy, totally get where you're coming from

from thing cleaning perspective I might recommend avoiding rolltop or slatted top tables

maybe something like this: https://www.rei.com/product/168773/rei-co-op-outward-side-table ?

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I really like my patagonia houdini

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Stay away from North Face packs.

that being said the north face version of the black hole bag is solid

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I have a set of cascade mountain poles from costco that have held up well for a couple years now.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Though a hammock camping setup can never match the weight of a true 1 person UL setup.

just sleeping on the ground in open air?

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

not on the east coast but where I am now mosquitoes functionally don't exist

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

that looks awesome, what does transporting all that gear look like

does it reasonably pack down into a pulk?

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

thinking about doing the hammock thing as part of my first foray into bikepacking

assuming I have a full set of backpacking/ camping gear but it's all nearly a decade old is there anything that is a must update/ replace?

or is it reasonable to just swap out the tent for a hammock and see how the test overnight shakes out

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I'm seriously thinking about adding cots to my car camping setup the further north of 40 I get

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

tarlibone posted:

Next year, I plan on doing a little bit of bikepacking. Not a grand tour or anything, just some light camping where I'm not far from resupplying. I have a few places in mind. And, because my wife only tolerates camping in big-rear end tents with electricity and all that fun stuff (which I also like), this is more of a solo adventure. The bike I expect to use is a Giant Escape, which has nice, wide, flat handlebars. I have a rack, a frame bag, a trunk with fold-out paniers--should be enough for what I'm planning, maybe. I also have a backpack.

So, with that in mind, is the Eureka! Solitare AL a decent tent? It says the packed length is 18", and that's about as good as I can find unless I pony up thrice as much money for a bare-bones bikepacking-specific tent from a brand I've never heard of.

I can't speak to that specific tent but I have two other Eureka tents that I really like and have held up quite well over the years.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Yeah, unless you're car camping and can literally bring the kitchen sink with you do all the actual cooking ahead of time so all you're doing on the trail is re-heating it.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

mystes posted:

Is your house the place they go in the Matrix when they're selecting their gear?

I did some consulting for a field logistics company and their gear warehouse gave me those vibes for sure

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Verman posted:

Costco currently has a GSI car camping kitchen set For $50 in a nice zip up case with cutting boards, knives, cutlery etc. I considered it but I'm rarely with that many people.

I literally bought this 2 hours ago

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

it's a costco exclusive so it's hard to find a real link but here's a weird article about it: https://parade.com/food/costco-gsi-camp-kitchen-kit

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I know it's not what your asking for but i'd just get a duffel cover for your pack and check it

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Sab669 posted:

Yea the more I think about it I think I'll just have to suck it up and deal with the mild added inconvenience of checked luggage.

with the limited space in the cabin, and everyone else fighting for overhead space it's not even an added inconvenience anymore

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

"need" is a strong word but what do you think is going to happen if one of those 50 loose straps gets caught on something

backpack duffles are cheap

and someone earlier recommended getting a car seat cover, which you can just ask for at the airport and they will give it to you

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Bloody posted:

Altra lone peak #whatevers are the practically universal favorite trail runner.

yeah this is what I wear

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

they're bad for fish and stuff too I think

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I love the idea of big canvas tents but don't ever feel like I'm at any given site long enough for the setup/teardown to be worthwhile