Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

thatguy posted:

I have no idea why people are recommending coleman products at all. I don't care if their stoves are $45, they're utterly garbage. Basic poo poo like stamped metal warped from the box, outlet holes for the propane tank not fitting with the actual outlet, latches not holding the stove closed. Like I have great nostalgia for them and all, I grew up on all their 80s stuff and my dad still has 3 of their 70s white gas stoves, slept in a coleman tent in a coleman sleeping bag in boy scouts, but everything they sell now is cheap junk.

Personally, I exclusively use Coghlans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I'd consider putting a comforter between the mattress and you.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Sub $20 ultralight stove recommend? Not trying to rely on it for survival, just putting together a small kit for recreational use.

Edit - should fit inside a Stanley Adventure 20oz

FogHelmut fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Jan 8, 2021

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

The ability to stand up inside of your tent can not be overstated.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Quixotic1 posted:

So what's a good tent to buy then if the advice is leaning toward a cheap car camping standing room 6 person tent? I'm terribly afraid of rain as I seem to be cursed at having it start raining any time I have an outside excursion.

Coleman will not steer you wrong for car camping. It's not high end or stylish, but it's affordable and functional and fairly reliable.

Costco has the dark room version, not sure if it's 4 or 6.

FogHelmut fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Feb 2, 2021

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Rooftop Tents:
Pro- looks cool, above the ground, built in mattress, camp anywhere you park

Con- expensive, up in the wind, not much better than a regular tent, have to pack up when you want to drive somewhere, have to climb down to pee, not good for dogs, top heavy vehicle if offroading

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Tbh the Australian swags are pretty intriguing to me. It's basically a heavy duty bivy with thick walls and built-in mattress.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Pham Nuwen posted:

Two shoe-related questions:

First, my much-abused Vasque boots have burst a seam (photo attached). They're about 5 years old and while I've used them quite a bit, it's probably due to neglect as much as anything... I don't clean them particularly often, usually just knock the dried mud off. Is there anything I can do about this, or should I just go buy a new pair of boots?

Second, I'm wondering if anyone can recommend a walking-oriented (not necessarily hiking) boot that's comfortable and looks decent enough that I could wear it out to dinner without attracting too many sideways glances. I've got a cheap pair of Chelsea boots that look good but aren't particularly durable. I'd like to find something that could stand up to a full day of walking around the city without looking like I've just stumbled off the PCT.

An expensive pair of chelsea boots - https://www.blundstone.com/mens-classic-550-boots

I've found them in the $130-$140 range on Amazon, but it varies.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Dumb question - do you just leave you car parked for days at the trailhead while you wander off into the wilderness?

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

incogneato posted:

Yeah, not leaving anything visible in your car at a trailhead is crucial. That includes empty or "worthless" bags or boxes. I've had friends tell me "oh that bag is just trash", but thieves don't know that. They'll smash a window and figure it out later.

If you have a Yakima/Thule roof box, you can toss anything in there so it is out of sight.

Some trailheads are better than others. If it's an hour down a muddy potholed forest service road and only one other vehicle is around, the risk is probably low. I still keep everything out of sight anyway. Habit from parking in the middle of a city maybe.

I used to park in the middle of a city which is why this all seems insane to me lol.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Got my 20% REI coupons and a $17 dividend. What should I buy?

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Costco wool socks are very thick, which is either good or bad.

I bought these last time and am very happy with them. Much better than my old REI merino socks.
https://www.rei.com/product/178064/...=15286429&ev11=

I have 4 pairs of Darn Tough, they're great.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I don't have a recommendation, but I bought a pair of gloves from EMS (northeast US regional REI type store) in 2003 and they are still great. Also a pair of snow bibs that have seen many years of snowboarding.

I guess with modern gloves you'd probably want something that's touchscreen compatible as well.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I don't have any holes, but I have some thin spots where the cushion is gone.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

What's a good size beginner pack for 1-3 nights? 60l?

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I'm in socal, so probably a lot of water. And more than likely by myself.

Also all of my car camping gear is really SUV/Pickup camping gear for the whole family. None of it is portable.

Looking at the REI bundle or equivalent.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I've settled on the Mountainsmith Lookout 60 Pack and the REI Co-Op Backpacking Bundle. $355 after my coupons and dividends. Can I do better +/- $50?

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Great, I did use the 20% on the bundle, and the backpack was from the Outlet so I used the other 20% on that. Obviously because I was going for the REI Outlet side for the backpack, choices were limited, but I think the Mountainsmith checked more of my boxes than a similar Kelty, which was also larger.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Pennywise the Frown posted:

I just bought these Cascade Mountain Tech Trekking Poles.

I'm not sure why as I don't have any mountains nearby but there's some hills sometimes. :shrug: I think Costco has these sometimes but I can't find them at the stores anywhere.

I believe the Costco ones are carbon fiber. They had them when I went last week. They're usually around when the camping stuff is out, they're seasonal though.

FogHelmut fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Mar 23, 2021

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

What's everyone's first aid kit look like? Are you the type to simply pack an airplane bottle of whiskey and you'll cauterize everything with the end of a smoldering stick? Or are you prepared to run a medium sized field hospital? I was looking at just getting one of those Adventure Medical Kits.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Klymit is giving away their X Pillow and a grey V Seat on their website for free, but you pay $19 shipping. They offer you more discounts on other items after checkout ($35 sleep pad, $7 additional V seat).

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Do you have a link? I went to their website and didn't see anything.

https://klymit.com/a/search?q=Free&type=product

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Any legitimacy to using a tea bag to stop bleeding? Seems dual use.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Not necessarily hiking related, but when I worked in a hoagie shop, we used to wrap sandwiches for later eating by request. Place a piece of of wax paper or parchment between the bread and the meats as a sogginess barrier and make it as normal. When you open it up later to eat it, just slide the paper out.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Check out the REI kingdome tents too. I always see them up for sale at REI garage sales, if those ever start again. Its our go to car camping tent, and I've been in a few summer thunderstorms in it and stayed dry while my friends cheap Colemans leaked.

I was in a Coleman tent 20 years ago during a thunderstorm and stayed dry. The area flooded from the downpour, the bottom of the tent felt like a waterbed for a bit.

The problem with those old Colemans though was they were single-wall. You got more wet inside from condensation forming overnight.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Tested out my REI bundle -

- Tent is fine
- Sleeping pad surprisingly good, did not feel like a swimming pool raft like I expected
- Sweated my balls off in the 30 degree rated sleeping bag in 50 degree weather.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Weird idea but I'm sure someone has thought of it - they make like those bags that the dehydrated food comes in, but reusable? Or something similar? I was thinking for like one nighters, make your own food and seal it up in a vacuum bag, and freeze it flat. Pack it with you, defrosts along the way. Stick it in your mylar bag, fill with boiling water, it heats up the contents of your vacuum sealed food.

This probably needs a lot more hot water than it seems, dunno if it's feasible.

incogneato posted:

Salomons have been the best fit for my feet, and they've treated me well. I've used both gore tex mids for snowshoeing/snow hiking as well as lighter trail runners, and both have been great.

Actually that leads me to another question. Does anyone have a suggestion for a not-heavy waterproof boot for snowshoeing and slushy shoulder season hiking (eg top half of the hike is still in snow, but not always enough to justify snowshoes)? I'm tempted to get another pair of Salomons, maybe the newer X Ultra 4 GTX mid, but I'd be happy to hear other suggestions.

I stick with lighter trail runners most of the year, but snowshoeing or slushy hiking I like some waterproofing (plus gators).

I wear my Merrell Moabs waterproof in the snow, never had a problem.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Yeah, the only thing about the freezer ziplocks is about half the time they leak when submerged.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Any thoughts on MSR's hard anodized aluminium vs ceramic coated cookware?

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Pham Nuwen posted:

There is BLM camping not far from Carlsbad Caverns, too. https://goo.gl/maps/HnBCVccTvtBkcvoS7 Be aware that it is primitive as hell and kind of dusty, but it's free. If you're down in that area, I'd recommend trying to get into one of the nicer campsites first, but that's a fine backup.

Carlsbad Caverns is cool as hell but definitely go to the website before the trip and see if you can sign up for additional guided tours. The self-guided tour is great, but there's a lot of area you can only reach on the guided tours, and those require a reservation.

Other New Mexico stuff to see:

• Bandelier National Monument near Santa Fe
  • Jemez Springs has some really nice hot springs if Truth or Consequences is too corpo for your refined tastes
  • White Sands
  • El Malpais National Monument is worth stopping at if you're taking I-40.
  • Space History Museum, Alamogordo (close enough to White Sands to do two in a day)
  • National Museum of Nuclear Science and History, Albuquerque.
  • Very Large Array (you may know this from the movie Contact. Stop for a slice of pie in Pie Town if you're going past, too)
  • Billy the Kid Museum, Fort Sumner. Don't go out of your way, but if you're passing through they've got a lot of great historical artifacts, not just BtK stuff.

If you end up going through Albuquerque, I can recommend a long list of restaurants and pleasant day hikes. Hell, I can drop some GPS coordinates to some logs that yielded lots of oyster mushrooms last year, since I don't live there anymore and don't need to guard my secrets.

Just want to add - Be there for the bats at dusk.

White Sands is cool.

Don't take a detour to Roswell, there is nothing there at all, not even tourist trap poo poo.

And back to the OP, I don't know anything about camping in the area, but Tombstone, AZ has some awesome corny old west reenactments. Opposite direction from the Grand Canyon though.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Are rock plates worth it? They seem to only be in higher end shoes, and I don't think that many trails are made of pointy rocks. Seems to be a niche use case.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I have the Passage 2. I've only had Coleman tents before and it's much nicer so I'm not sure how much of a judge I am. The quarterdome and half dome 2 are wider at the top and have more vertical walls with a little bit better interior room at the top, from what I've read. I don't think they have more floor space but I'm not sure. They also have an additional tent pole piece to make the top wider but some say it is worth it.

The Passage 2 has enough room to sleep and place gear. With two people inside your sleeping bags will be touching the walls. It's long enough for plenty of headroom and foot room, however. There is plenty of ventilation, it has a door on both sides which is nice, and includes a small vestibule area with the rainfly. I believe you can set it up with just the rainfly and the footprint, without the main tent. There is a single gear pocket on each end of the inside of the tent. It does not include a gear loft if that is something you need, but does have attachment points for one. There are two tent poles and it is fairly simple to set up.

All of them are great tents. There are diminishing returns as the price goes up. Weight savings is the big one, as well as nicer tent poles, and better packability. However it gets tricky to compare when the higher end tents do not often come with things like included footprint and guy lines. The buy once cry once mantra is fine but you really have to know what you want to cry about.

The good news is that the folks in REI will set up any tent you want in the store for you to try out, so I've heard.

FogHelmut fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Jun 2, 2021

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I have like 10 different backpacks of all sizes and I want more. I use like.... 2 of them.

I have a weird backpack addiction. And I never use them nor have a reason to.

Same. My most used one is a 10 year old REI Flash 18, followed by a free one I got from Costco.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

highme posted:

Just grabbed this old beauty today. Going to build out a shallowish storage compartment across the entire bed with lockable doors for the essentials and leave it loaded so it's pretty much "I want to sleep in the woods/desert/beach tonight" and hitch up. The mobile home wheels/tires and the bolt together rack are going to get replaced with something more substantial ASAP. A good friend owns a shop and just bought a nice tube bender for building cages/bumpers etc., so I'm hoping to add a tube steel rack I feel ok putting a RTT on. In the meantime the immediate plan is to get it ready to drag to Central Oregon next weekend for the Gambler 500. There's gently caress all where we camp, so having this to set up a kitchen & provide shade will be nice.

\/\/ Will do.

Been thinking about doing this for a while, but don't want to spend "I could have bought an actual travel trailer" money.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

That is a fantastic price. I feel like everything I've seen is either thousands of dollars, or is like a used harbor freight that's been in an accident.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Casu Marzu posted:

Anyone have recommendations for a Yeti-type cooler that isn't insanely expensive? I can get a pretty significant discount going through Yeti's Field Guide program, but I would rather not have to click through a couple hours worth of modules if there's something almost as good but cheap af out there.

Do you mean like "bear proof" or do you mean like just holds stuff cold for a long time?

Rtic and Walmart as mentioned make similar strong coolers. As does Monoprice and Pelican and a number of other brands. Igloo might have one too.

If you just want to keep stuff cold and Coleman extreme is great for the price. There's also YouTube videos of people putting expanding foam inside the walls of their cheap coolers and getting great results, if you want as cheap as possible.

FogHelmut fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Jun 22, 2021

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Gonna do some car camping at Palomar Mountain Observatory campground in a couple weeks. Are Thermacells legit? What about those mosquito bracelets?

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Yeah I'm happy to bathe myself in 100% DEET, but looking for some other options for the baby.

The battery powered Thermacell seems to last the longest without refilling, but reviews seem to indicate it bricks if the battery runs fully dead - like if you place it in storage for the winter.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I've got a 10x10 canopy and was looking for add-on mesh walls, but they don't seem to exist. I don't really want to buy a whole new unit. The reviews for this campground seem to say that there are a particularly large amount of mosquitoes. I mean I live in SoCal and I've gotten five mosquito bites in the last 5 years at my house. But I guess there is a stagnant stream running through this campsite.

I grew up in the humid summers of NJ, and spent a few years working in the pine barrens as a paintball referee. I'm not unfamiliar with the mosquitos. Working that job, literally crawling through the brush, the daily regimen was a head to toe application of Deet spray.

The worst I've ever encountered was Chincoteague Island. The mosquitos are aggressive like packs of wolves - literally chased me down a trail. Noseeums gathered in swarms.

From the reviews, I'm imagining that kind of situation. I'm sure it's not that bad. I just don't need a baby covered in bites.

I'm going to check out the Picardin and see what I can treat with permethrin. On the fence still with the Thermacell vs a bunch of mosquito coils.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Separate topic- Is an America the Beautiful pass good for places that require an Adventure Pass? Or do I need the Adventure Pass?