Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

FCKGW posted:

I see a ton of these things now and they’re always on top pristine Toyota 4Runners or Tacomas with the raised platform over the bed.

Bring back pickup bed campers.

My bed is only 5'2"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I've got a $70 Columbia Watertight II that I'm pretty happy with. I think they can be found cheaper. They're not fancy but they do the job well and fold up small. My wife has a different version and my son has a fleece lined one also from Columbia.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Is a quilt just a mummy bag without a zipper? Or should I stick with the old rectangle bag?

I can't do a mummy bag, I feel like I'm tied up and triggers claustrophobia that I didn't know I had.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Is Nikwax TX Direct / Softshell Proof legit? Do I need to use their Techwash? I have a big jug of Hex detergent already, don't want to buy Techwash if I don't need it.

Edit - I have some Motorola FRS radios I got at Walmart, and I have a Midland 15w GMRS in my truck. I did get a license. The main advantage of the GMRS is that you can use repeaters if you know how, which will get you a very long range. You will otherwise get a clearer signal and longer range with GMRS, but your signal and range are in the real world more limited by your terrain than your wattage and antennas. Additionally, certain channels are restricted to certain wattages by the FCC. If you're in forested mountain terrain, your 50w truck mounted GMRS with high gain antenna probably won't do any better than your 2w FRS handheld. Out on the flat midwestern wasteland or on the water, its a different story.

FogHelmut fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Mar 13, 2023

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I just have a couple of jackets that are like 10 years old but in otherwise great condition. Maybe they just need a good washing with a sympathetic detergent?

Lol and a pair of gloves that are 19 years old, no holes, still warm, just losing their water resistance.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

What's the difference between the REI Co-op Siesta Hooded 20 Sleeping Bag and the REI Co-op
REI Co-op HunkerDown 20 Sleeping Bag?

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I cannot stop buying backpacks that I don't need.

I have a 20l and its fine for just me, but I often have to carry my kids' stuff around. I have a 28l and its not big enough for a weekend. 40l seems too big for a day.

FogHelmut fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Mar 28, 2023

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Couldn't find a backpack that I liked, and then I was considering a fanny pack, but ended up getting a REI Big Haul 60l duffel. I have an older model REI 40l duffel, but it's just a plain tubular one with no extra pockets. About half the time I find myself needing more space, and the tube shape makes using packing cubes inefficient. The trick straps in the Big Haul might end up causing difficulties, but I'm willing to try it out. If it's too stupid, I'll return it and get the basic Roadtripper duffel.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I'm reading a lot of the reviews for the Chinese down bags saying they smell like poultry?

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I have a Skeletool CX that sits in my truck's center console. I have a Gerber Dime that sits in my bike bag. The one I use the most is the Victorinox SD 7, aka the little keychain swiss army knife.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I picked up a pair of REI Kindercone 30 sleeping bags on Facebook Marketplace. $35 for the pair, used once.

Is this temperature rating for kids sleeping bags for comfort or lower limit? We are going car camping next weekend up by Idyllwild/San Jacinto, lows are in the mid-30s. We are bringing plenty of warm clothes, but just wondering about the bag ratings.

FogHelmut fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Apr 30, 2023

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Sleeping pads are r-value 6 or 7 iirc. Extra blankets and hats and coats are coming. The dog will have a bed and her own puffer coat.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Will REI warranty a 12 year old jacket? The outer became unbonded from the zipper. Otherwise not sure if I should try to glue this or sew it.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

The REI Kingdom 6 is a very nice tent, but takes some time to set up.

It got down to 32 degrees the last two nights, but I was fine in my 40 degree sleeping bag with some layers and an extra blanket. My dog took the blanket on the second night and it wasn't too bad.

My kids slept halfway out of their sleeping bags and didn't seem to notice.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Ive got so much gear at this point that I never really need anything which saddens my inner gear hoarder.

That said.... In an effort to put off buying a pop up camper I was looking at those big screen tents that people use over picnic tables for car camping. Anyone have a model they like? They all pretty much look like they'd fold in high winds from what Ive seen.

I have an Ozark Trail one and its functional, but its not as nice as the Coleman? one that they have at Costco.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Lol, I have so much car camping junk. The last trip we tried to take as few things as we needed, and it was still too much. Now I'm trying to shrink everything down like "maybe we can just have a single burner stove" or "maybe we can just do all of the cooking over the fire" or "are the self inflating sleep pads really any better" or "this rotomolded cooler is so bulky and heavy and really isn't necessary for two nights". Especially since I'm getting rid of my truck and downsizing vehicles.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I've tried pre-organized bins, but I haven't figured out a great way to do it yet. I end up having to add and remove things anyway.

I like the bins for storing stuff in my garage, but there's a lot of dead space in the car because they don't perfectly fit. I end up taking sleeping bags and other soft items out of the bins because they can fit in the odd spots.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Catatron Prime posted:

We went through several hardside container iterations but finally settled on these Plano Medium Sportsman Trunks.

The design of these is already decently rainproof, but you can make them very waterproof if you run a piece of weatherstripping around the groove in the lid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cqSZU2MCNkY

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Costco sells a non-stick aluminum griddle called The Rock Plus that is flat on one side and ridged on the other for like $20. Fits perfectly on your two burner camp stove.

Don't leave it on your camp stove unattended because aluminum can melt.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Everyone seems to know a lot about REI here, so I'm gonna ask - do the 20% coupons they give out a few time a year apply to rooftop cargo boxes? I think roof racks are excluded, but I don't remember the specifics.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

drat, next one isn't until November. I guess if I pay full price I get a dividend anyway.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Safety Dance posted:

A lot of roof rack shops (e.g. Rack and Road out west) will rent a rooftop cargo box if you just need it for a couple days before the next big REI coupon.

Just checked the rates, $30-50 per day. That's somewhere between the break even point and costing more.

The major concern I think right now is cleaning my garage and storing the thing when not being used.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Labor Day sale started today. I ordered a Yakima cargo box for my car to pick up in store. I got there at noon and the place was fully mobbed.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

xzzy posted:

REI is not fun during the big sales. It's almost worth paying extra to be in there when it's chill.

The good news is they're opening a new REI only 10 minutes from my house, should take some pressure off. The current closest one is 30 minutes away.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I have the Flextailgear mini pump. Its 2.82 oz and 99% of its usage has been inflating rafts for my kids at the lake.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I just got an email from REI about a 10% bonus for trading in old gear. Has anyone ever done this? What's their trade-in requirements?

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I think Walmart sells a plastic version of that Stoic side table.

I like this if you're looking for a full table and chairs setup. Coleman Outdoor Compact Folding Table, Sturdy Aluminum Camping Table with Snap-Together Design, Seats 4 & Carry Bag Included; Great for Camping, Tailgating, Grilling, & More https://a.co/d/f22q5x3

I had success with this when my kids were smaller but toddler might be too big Summer Infant Pop ‘N Sit Portable Booster Chair, Gray - Booster Seat for Indoor/Outdoor Use - Fast, Easy and Compact Fold https://a.co/d/emKEIy4

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Coleman roll-top table on clearance for $15
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Coleman-Compact-Outdoor-Table/20594119

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Man I just want to keep buying backpacks.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

xzzy posted:

But what about backpacks.. for CARS? Sky's the limit!

I have one of those too

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Costco has the US Forest Service cot for $50 right now. It's a basic, big, heavy, sturdy cot, no padding or anything wild.

Most no-frills cots should run in the $50-100 range.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Anyone know what the difference is between small tent vs tent vs large tent on the recreation.gov campsite descriptions?

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

mystes posted:

Googling it this comes up:
Small tent: A tent that is equal to or less than 12 feet x 12 feet.
Large tent: A tent that is greater than 12 feet x 12 feet.

I found that, but on the campsites themselves, they list three tent sizes. I've been checking different campsite descriptions. Sometimes, large tent says "over 9x12". Nothing specific next to "tent" and "small tent" though.

I guess since the one I booked says "tent", then I'm good up to 9x12.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

FogHelmut posted:

I found that, but on the campsites themselves, they list three tent sizes. I've been checking different campsite descriptions. Sometimes, large tent says "over 9x12". Nothing specific next to "tent" and "small tent" though.

I guess since the one I booked says "tent", then I'm good up to 9x12.

Probably maxes out at 8' wide.

Edit - my Therm-a-rest compressible pillow didn't decompress. It's only 3 years old. I've got a couple of REI ones and one from Klymit that are basically the same thing and they worked perfectly.

FogHelmut fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Apr 15, 2024