Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe
Recs for a sleeping bag for hiking Mt Kilimanjaro in December?

Most of the guides say to get something rated for -15F to avoid being uncomfortable the night before you summit. I am a 3 season camper in the US so I have some quilts and bags rated for 20-40F. I also have a 1.5" open cell foam pad that's reasonably portable.

I don't really want to drop hundreds for something I'm not likely to use again. Is renting a bag from the tour company (and bringing my own liner) for $40-50 a bad idea? Any reasonable options to buy something that might get later use?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe

Dick Burglar posted:

Maybe just the idea of a really conspicuous, tall tent makes me feel weird? I dunno. I'm probably being dumb for no reason.
You are car camping - there is no reason not to have a tall, spacious, comfortable tent. I use a 6 person tent with an attached porch and a 6'8" peak height that weighs 20+lbs (North Face Wawona 6) for car camping with 3-5 people. Considering half the campsites we go to have a mix of RVs/campers and tents and everyone's got secondary canopies or tarps tied up over picnic tables, it doesn't feel weird. But most of my camping is in NY/PA where rain is always a possibility. We got thunderstorms with 30+MPH winds at a state park a few weekends ago and it was nice to not have to hide in the car like some folks did.

A tall 4 person tent seems perfect for your use case.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe

Cannon_Fodder posted:

I loving love my Osprey Porter 45L.

My wife has the smaller version and we both dropped our previous bags for this. Super easy to access anything, pockets for all sorts of poo poo, hip belt, shoulder tension adjustments, laptop sleeves, and a ton of other neat bits/bobs. The only thing I wish it had was a shoulder strap for when I carry poo poo in duffel bag mode (it has the strap clips, but not the strap).

Can't recommend it enough.

I bought the 2020 version of this on a whim last year during a clearance sale from the Osprey store through Amazon for just under $60 and it's great. It's the biggest pack I have ever owned without a frame and it's surprisingly comfortable and stable. I haven't taken it on hikes but it's been on my back for hours at a time in airports. I really like the capaciousness of the main pocket, how it opens up, all the other small pocket options, how well it cinches down when it's not full, and how you can tuck all the straps away when you're going to throw it in a trunk or overhead bin. The current version is on sale right now for $120 (regular price is $160) https://www.osprey.com/us/en/product/porter-travel-pack-46-PORTER46F20.html

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe
I considered the Kingdom 6 when I bought the old model North Face Wawona 6 (https://www.rei.com/product/112236/the-north-face-wawona-6-tent) but the outgoing Wawona was discounted ($300) and the mudroom was integrated rather than a separate purchase (~$600 for the Kingdom 6 + mudroom). They are both huge and glorious and I would have been happy to snag the Kingdom as well.

Not a great pic to appreciate the hugeness, but here was our most recent setup this summer:

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe

nate fisher posted:

I almost got this tent instead of Kingdom. If I remember correctly it doesn’t use a rain fly (it is built in instead)?

That's correct for this specific model - it has some double-walled spots (mostly the mud room and the smaller vestibule on the opposite side) but they're all integrated and in most places it's a single layer of fabric between you and the outside. The new model Wawona 6P has the main tent separate and the mudroom/rainfly are a single detachable piece, though it appears to have ditched the second smaller vestibule as well which is a bummer.

armorer posted:

I have this tent as well and have been very happy with it. I've camped in it through several brutal downpours and stayed totally dry.

This has been my experience too. We had night's worth of wind and rain on this last trip and the only issue was a small leak into the vestibule area, not even the main part of the tent, from user error (a zipper cover flap on the windward side that hadn't been velcroed down properly). 30MPH sustained winds and 50+MPH gusts weren't an issue either. My only complaint is that I wish the mudroom doors had a full circumference zipper - having to open from the side next to the main tent area does make it harder to keep that part of the tent dry when entering/exiting when it's very windy and raining.

aparmenideanmonad fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Sep 17, 2021

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe

guppy posted:

I am definitely not looking to buy an REI-branded mat after my poor experience with the one I already have. And definitely looking for a Thermarest-style self-inflating pad rather than an air bed. I tend to prefer the individual pads, maybe just because it's what I'm used to. Any recommendations specifically for one of those? Like I said, I'm inclined toward Thermarest, but would consider another brand, although some of the other well-reviewed ones (Sea To Summit, Nemo, Expad) are also quite expensive. It is nice that many of those, even the self-inflating ones, come with a pump sack to get the last little bit of air in, although I slept for years on Thermarests that were only as filled as the self-inflate valve could get it.

In the Thermarest line I am wondering if the LuxuryMap or BaseCamp would suit my needs. The MondoKing 3D seems to be the best-liked, but at that point ($210 or so) maybe you start to look at one of the other brands that also comes with the pump sack.

Basecamps are fine at 2" thick and some side sleepers are ok on them. I used one of the old models for years without issue. 3" thick mats like the Luxury Map are easy for nearly anyone to sleep on, and I like having them for car camping. That said, they are expensive.

I took a gamble on two of these when they were a lightning deal for <$70.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07RY47PFS/

Very comfortable 3" pad, integrated pillow, and self inflating, though like most self inflating mats you need to blow into the valve for the last little bit if you want it nice and firm. They have survived 3 trips without issue, and they're comfortable enough I don't mind having guests sleep on them when we run out of bed space.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe

Dutymode posted:

This probably gets asked every year, but what's the best way for carrying water for hikes below freezing?

If you're day hiking or doing excursions from a campsite where you don't need a huge backpack, you can wear a platypus/CamelBak in a minimalist carrier under your coat. Keep the drinking tube inside as well between sips.

Otherwise, I agree with everyone else: large insulated bottles carried upside down (to avoid lids freezing) is the way to go.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe

Cat rear end Trophy posted:

I am nearly ready to buy a larger pack for some multi day trips, but I have been trying to kit myself out in made in USA gear. But all I can really find in the way of backpacks tends to be ultralight stuff with 35 to 40 pound weight limits.

Is something like a Zpacks Arc Haul a bad choice for a first large pack as far as durability and weight limit goes? I could probably go under 40 pounds including 5L of water, but I don't want to buy something that wears out if I look at it funny.

Any other suggestions for made in USA packs would also be welcome.

Made in Colorado https://seekoutside.com/backpacking-backpacks/

Made in Maine https://www.hyperlitemountaingear.com/pages/ultralight-backpacks

At least some of Jandd's stuff is made in the USA, not sure if all of it is anymore: https://www.jandd.com/search_results.asp?subcat=24

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe

nate fisher posted:

I have a lot HMG stuff and I think their packs are some of the best out there, but they moved production to Mexico last year. They were open and honest about (not enough skilled stitchers), but they are no longer made in the US. Still that doesn’t stop me from buying them.

Good to know - yeah, I like the idea of MitUSA only in the sense that it protects workers and reduces unnecessary shipping to some degree, but Mexico is a big improvement on, for instance, Bangladesh in both of those categories. Also....

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe
Twix are actually great in the cold, frozen Snickers can definitely end in dental work though.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe
Do you want actual compression shorts or just form fitting synthetic boxer briefs? If the latter, Costco and Sam's club both have them for $3-5/pair in 3 packs, not typically UA brand but something of decent quality (Adidas etc).

No idea where to get real compression shorts cheap. The couple UA pairs I have I got from a connection who worked there years ago. I don't wear them often so they're still going strong.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe

waffle enthusiast posted:

So…why are tarps $100?

I’m trying to find something for car camping that’s in between an ultralight tarp crafted from unicorn hair and the big blue tarps they sell to people who cook meth in illegal campsites.

Also just smdh that the thread title isn’t “Backpacking and Camping Gear Megathread: What is An Appropriately Sized Bear Sack?”

If you're car camping there's no reason not to use cheap poly tarps. Their only real downside is their weight. Otherwise, they're extremely sturdy, water proof, cheap, and they come in pretty much any size you could want - they even make lots of colors other than blue! Harbor freight or your local big box hardware store will have many options. Nicer ones will have a smoother surface, be thicker/heavier, or have lots of reinforced grommets for hanging/tying down.

For car camping, I bring a smallish poly tarp that I use as a footprint for my 6 man tent as well as two other large ones to rig from trees over the camp site for when weather is lovely or for extra shade.

https://www.harborfreight.com/painting/tarps.html

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe
Can confirm a similar spread of camping and hiking stuff at a Costco in the Philly suburbs. They had golf clubs, mountain bikes, patio furniture, and lots of plants for sale too - definitely the new season's poo poo happened in the last two weeks.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe

withak posted:

After a rainier than expected trail work weekend I have determined that I need to increase the comfort level of my car camping situation. Is there a go-to tent that is tall enough to mostly stand up and change clothes in but not too crazy huge? I'm just one person but would also be nice to have a little extra room to keep all of my stuff inside and out of the rain if necessary.

My little 2-person Kelty works fine but it is slightly too short to change clothes in easily (even bending forward at the waist) and things stored in the vestibule under the rain fly still end up a little damp and muddy (though not soaked). I'm usually in a tent city at these things so better not to offend the sensibilities of the neighbors by changing outside.

Not sure about 2 and 3 person but there's lots of 4-person tents that are 6ft+ at the peak without being too gigantic:
84" peak: Eureka Copper Canyon LX - $250ish (on sale on Amazon for ~230) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B083T6WJKD - no personal experience but the rain fly looks a little skimpy on these
78" peak: REI Skyward - $350ish (REI membership required at the moment) https://www.rei.com/product/202274/rei-co-op-skyward-4-tent - new tent line, initial reviews make it seem OK, neato all screen ceiling if you're not expecting rain, smallish vestibule that can double as an awning, vestibule and somewhat skimpy rainfly are separate
75" peak: North Face Sequoia - $400ish (discontinued on sale at REI for ~300) https://www.rei.com/product/189591/the-north-face-sequoia-4-tent-with-footprint - nice big vestibule and includes a footprint, best rain fly of these cheaper tents

If you're concerned about wind and rain and want a full coverage fly, Big Agnes and MSR have good, but more expensive options:
https://www.rei.com/product/178879/msr-habitude-4-tent
https://www.rei.com/product/168524/big-agnes-bunk-house-4-tent

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe

Cephas posted:

Thanks for the recommendations, everyone. I ended up going with a North Face Sequoia 4. It was $100 off at REI and I think I might have bought the last tent they had in stock? It's really tall, which is great for me since I'm 6'2" and am still recovering from a back injury. I set it up backyard camping and just had a great time falling asleep to crickets and waking up to birdsong. Looking forward to taking it out for real.

Nice - glad to hear you got in on the deal before they were gone. Write us a trip report once you're out of the yard!

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe
Camping knife chat:

For large folders, Eafingrow has very sturdy and cheap folding knives with good steel and handle options for camping on amazon.

Example: https://smile.amazon.com/Eafengrow-CH3001-G10-Folding-Material-Survival/dp/B07CQBQXGB

I'm a big fan of small Kershaws as well if you want something lighter and easier to haul around.

Example: https://smile.amazon.com/Kershaw-Multifunction-8Cr13MoV-Strength-Function/dp/B06XSGSDQN

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe
I love my 2020 wawona 6 and have had it up in very windy thunderstorms without issue. The massive porch/vestibule is great and so is being able to stand up inside. That said, they keep changing the design so ymmv with a new one

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe
Yeah DIY is your best bet for a backyard hammock stand that will last and not break the bank. If you've got some basic power tools and don't want to put concrete in your yard for whatever reason, I built one of these with a friend for his backyard and it's great. We used galvanized hex bolts on the big angle joints rather than long timber screws so it can be more easily disassembled, but I don't know that he ever takes it down. Some kind of finish will help it last longer too. It's pretty heavy and awkward to move by yourself without a dolly, but it's not bad with two people.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XRSMjnpx1-I

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

sunglasses seem like an essential thing that I rarely see talked about. unfortunately I tend to go through sunglasses relatively quick - they all break eventually, largely because what I do can be on the rougher side. one pair I bought at REI for $50 broke, that was the last time I spent much on a pair.

I often buy gas station sunglasses and hope for the best. thoughts?

Tifosi is in a pretty good price vs. quality spot for sport oriented sunglasses. I wear these for hiking/biking/running that are $25, though they're not polarized: https://www.tifosioptics.com/product/track-gloss-black-smoke/

I'm personally off the polarization bandwagon, but they do have polarized lenses that are not the cheap film coated variety for around $50.

Looks like they're doing a site wide 25% off sale as well.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe

Stalizard posted:

I know they make duffel bags that fit these bags and I know those duffel bags cost a million dollars each at REI if you don't have a spare firstborn to give them. Instead of this, the thinking person spends $5 at IKEA.

This lil guy weighs nothing, takes up no space and perfectly fits a 65 liter bag. I do frequently get questions from suspicious gate agents, but when I show them the backpack inside they've always been cool with it.

Anyway I hope this helps somebody as much as it has helped me.
This Ikea bag works great for uncompressed sleeping bag storage as well

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe
Those will definitely work but they're gonna be heavy, hot, uncomfortable, and retain a lot more water/dry more slowly compared to a modern trail runner or hiking boot. They can also potentially chafe the poo poo out of your feet/ankles and make you miserable if you've got bad socks (get some wool/synthetic blend socks tall enough to cover all areas of your leg that the boot touches) or a poor fit, much worse than a modern, more shoelike piece of footwear will.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe
Yeah a mild organic solvent is needed to handle sap. Use as little rubbing alcohol or mineral spirits as you can to get it off, then rinse with water after. For big sap globs you can try putting your tent in the freezer and breaking them off while they're brittle, then hit them with your solvent.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe

pumped up for school posted:

I'm looking for some new work pants. I usually wear dickies or carhartts because im tearing through brush a lot and then having to kneel often. Usually the durability trumps weight/heat. But they suck when they get wet and im looking at 3 weeks of afternoon showers.

This next gig shouldnt be as much brush/mesquite/thorns to navigate, but a reinforced knee would be great. Figure hiking 5-6 miles per day carrying work pack, every 50 feet drop to the knees to dig shallow hole and plant sensor. Any suggestions for lighter weight with a tougher knee? I am going to go cheap because they're going to get trashed and they aren't anything I'd wear on my free time. Usually have gas, oil, etc on them by hour 1 on day 1.

Not sure what's out there that's cheaper than Dickies, but for lightweight pants in wet weather I would be wearing something full synthetic potentially with integrated kneepads for your use case. I think workwear with these characteristics is $100+ a pair though.

I know wrangler makes some cheaper full synth pants but they won't have reinforced knees: https://www.wrangler.com/shop/mens-wrangler-flex-waist-outdoor-cargo-pant-NW780.html?merchCategory=WRG_MEN_PANTS&dwvar_NW780_color=NW788FR

No idea how these would hold up to getting repeatedly doused with oil and gas, but presumably not as well as cotton.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe
It's crazy heresy in North America, but I thought it was interesting that every single guide on my Kilimanjaro trip last year had a big rear end umbrella. They had hard shells available as well, but they definitely preferred hiking with the umbrella when it wasn't too windy (which seemed to be sustained 15mph+). I asked why and they said it was a normal thing in Tanzania, and that an umbrella was much easier to deal with than constantly taking layers on and off, and they didn't mind the extra weight. They don't recommend them in traveler packing lists because they're tricky to handle in the wind and don't secure easily to the daypacks most guests are using on the mountain.

I have tried hiking with an umbrella one time since and it felt kind of weird, but I was nice and ventilated and dry. I was alone for the whole hike thanks to the lovely weather so I didn't even suffer any incredulous stares.

Not sure I would bother on a longer overnight trip but it cant work just fine on a day hike.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe
The Wawona 8 has the divider but the 6 doesn't. You know your kid but I'm not sure I would want to trust a divider to keep out any of the determined 2 year olds I've had experience with.

As another Wawona 6 owner I can say it's been great for the 2+ years I've had it, including in some pretty awful summer thunderstorms.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe
Huge fan of the Costco merino wool socks, they definitely hit a sweet spot in price/performance. I have put over 500 miles in brooks trail runners on a pack that's over 2 years old at this point and no wear issues - combination of heavy pack hiking, trail running, and skiing, and they've also gotten plenty of untracked wear in cold weather around the house and in casual boots.

That said I'm not very hard on socks compared to some I know, so take the recommendation with a grain of salt if you destroy socks and footwear regularly.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe
Pretty sure it's this one: https://www.rei.com/product/169457/nemo-wagontop-6-tent

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe

armorer posted:

Typically winter rubbers are designed to have the desirable properties at cold temperatures, and soften up more at warmer temperatures. "Regular" rubber can be overly stiff in the cold and lose grip as a result. The flip side is that winter-specific compounds will wear faster in warm temps.

If you look at car tires as an example, winter tires might last less than one year if you leave them on once it gets above 40°F, but if you only use them when the temps are below that then they should be good for whatever the mile rating is.

Clark Nova posted:

I like moabs but I wear through the heel in about six months if I walk my dog a few miles on pavement every day. whatever compound they use wears away really quickly compared to most other shoes I've owned

they have a bunch in wide sizes: https://www.merrell.com/US/en/mens-boots/#prefn1=width&prefv1=WIDE. I'm still mad that they discontinued the wide trail glove. *that* was the most comfortable shoe I've ever worn
These and similar reasons are why I have so many different shoes and boots now. Getting footwear that is made for purpose and used solely for that purpose is the best thing in the long run both in terms of what you end up spending and how much non-reusable waste you're producing. It can take a few years to not overload your budget with $100+ purchases and some trial and error to figure out what fits well and performs well for each thing, but it's nice to not be buying and throwing away footwear so often.

I really need to look into the sustainable running shoe market again now that there's more options, cause that's the only thing I'm still replacing due to wear with any frequency.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe

Verman posted:

I just wish they were higher up the ankle. They're so low that I was constantly getting debris over the top and in my shoe. Something about the tread kicks up debris. It was a really odd problem to notice but it happened all the time. Never noticed it with any other shoes/boots.

Consider gaiters, they work great in my experience and you don't have to sacrifice the fit and flexibility of the lower rise shoe/boot.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe

AKZ posted:

Might seem silly but I just picked up a super comfy Carhartt brand fanny pack/cross body bag for $30 at Fleet Farm. New festival bag locked down.

If anyone else is looking for something like this, Jandd has two sizes on closeout right now for similar prices:

Normal fanny pack size for $20
https://www.jandd.com/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=FMF2-C02

Large-ish for $40 https://www.jandd.com/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=FMFP-OS

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe

carrionman posted:

What's the most breathable raingear people could recommend? I'm a heavy sweater and frankly if I'm powering up mountains it feels like I may as well not bother with a jacket as I'll get just as wet from the inside.

Umbrella. As long as it's not too windy it's hard to beat. They make light and handsfree hiking versions these days. Bonus - can use them for shade on sunny days too! Smaller ones with less coverage will have to paired with a rain skirt to keep your legs dry and complete the ultimate function-over-form-I-give-zero-fucks hiking fashion statement.

Personally, if it's too warm for a hard shell or rain jacket, I just embrace it and wear stuff that won't chafe when wet that also dries fast (synthetic). I always bring packable rain gear (and potentially some lighter wool layers depending on conditions) in case I get cold.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe
I too love and still use my 90s era Kelty Trekker. Does a phenomenal job transferring weight comfortably onto my hips, and I enjoy being able to tie endless things to the frame.

If I was considering a long thru hike where I'm only carrying my stuff, I'd certainly look into something more modern and lighter, but it's honestly pretty ideal for my current use case: short trips where I'm toting gear for multiple people (children and spouses with bad joints).