Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Escape Addict posted:

What kind of underwear do you guys recommend? Is the exofficio boxer brief the best? Smart wool? What works well for you?

I purchased my first exofficio boxer brief a couple of months ago, and I fell in love. Now I am trying to buy at least one pair a month until I replace all my underwear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
I know a guy who thru-hiked the AT with an Osprey Exos 48L. So anything is possible. I would ask someone that you know going if they want to share a tent, so maybe they might share part of the load.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
My car camping setup for last few years has been Kingdom 6 with cots or Exped mattress. To be clear that is a great setup (Kingdom 6 is a great tent period), but I want to try new way of camping. I just got a new Tacoma and I am thinking about putting a rooftop tent over the bed (using something like the Thule Xsporter Pro Mid rack to hold it). Has anyone had experience with using rooftop tents? Any recommendations? There will be 2 of us, so we prefer a 3 person version. Tepui Kukenam 3 or Tepui Autana 3 are my top choices so far.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
I meant like this

Edit: I get the point of your post now, but I’m looking for something closer to what is in picture.

nate fisher fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Feb 11, 2021

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I have four Osprey packs and am pretty happy with all of them. My Exos 58 is great.

I do want to try other brands though just to see what I'm missing.

The Exos was my main driver for years and I loved it. I love Osprey packs and stuck with them for awhile, but after the Exos redesign (ruined the hip belts) I decided to try a few other packs. I ended up trying several packs from Osprey, REI, Gregory, and others by buying and returning, or walking around REI with a full pack. What did I end up with?

- Based on it being the top choice from Backpacker and Outdoorgearlab I purchased the Granite Gear Blaze 60 (a company I haven’t heard of until I started researching) without trying it on. The pack is very comfortable and adjustable while giving you tons of bells and whistles at a low weight (it slightly heavier than the Exos at 3 pounds). A+ pack (currently on sale for $188).

- For my shorter trips and day hiking I also picked up the HMG 2400 Southwest. I love this pack, but it is hard to recommend due to initial cost and the additional cost of all the accessories I have purchased from HMG to round out the pack. Still I would do it all over again.

If I was going to go for a great deal I think I would go with the Granite Gear Crown2 (comes in either 38 or 60). The 60 currently only $139 and has several of the same features of the Blaze at a lower weight (even lower than the Exos), but it also has a lower load rating (Blaze is 50 while the Crown is 35 pounds).

Also nice about Granite Gear (at least here my neck of the woods) is few people have them in comparison to Osprey or even HMG (I am starting to see HMG a lot more). So you will always know which pack is yours.

FCKGW posted:

I like Gregory packs. My Paragon is a pound lighter than the Atmos and seems pretty comfortable.

My wife has this pack and loves it.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
I ended up with $300+, but I cheated by using the REI credit card. While I did have some big purchases at REI to get the 15% back, I also bought a lot of groceries using that card. This is only a good philosophy if you pay your credit cards off at least monthly (I actually pay my mine off weekly, unless it is a no interest plan). This year I have stopped using the REI CC for dividends and I am going for cash back on another card.

Also my wife used most of this year's dividend on Vuori stuff.

nate fisher fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Mar 15, 2021

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Good point keep talkin posted:

Piggybacking off of this, I have a $20 dividend and a $25 gift card but I don't have any strong ideas on what to pick up. Got all of my car camping setup last year (tent, bags, pads, lantern, other stuff I'm probably forgetttin). I was thinking maybe a wide brimmed hat or some cooking supplies but I'm open to any suggestions more broadly if there's cool stuff you think I could use.

Tent string lights are always a cool edition to car camping. We just picked up a bathroom bucket plus bags from REI. The bucket has toilet like seat and bags have some form of chemicals in it that help with the waste. We haven’t used it yet, but it will be tested soon (mainly a pee bucket for the wife, because I don’t see me ever using it). Also camping towels are a nice pick up. They are thinner while still absorbent than normal towels and I use mine all the time when getting back to my truck from a run or bike ride.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Sab669 posted:

Do you guys wear them day to day, or just for active use?

I've only ever owned 1 pair of wool socks in my life, some Carhartt wool blend advertised as a "boot sock" I bought off Amazon 8 years ago for $14. They're nice over my "regular" socks in the winter when it's mega cold, or snowboarding

There are merino wool socks for running and all kinds of summer activity.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
I have thought about getting a Garmin inReach Mini, but not for hiking since my wife is usually with me when I hike. Instead I would use it for trail running in remote places without cell (for example the GSMNP). I do like you can turn on the service for a few months and cut it back off, but I hate the high entry cost of $350. I have a 18 mile run I am doing in the GSMNP in May, and I am still on the fence about getting it. It would allow me to text my wife and for her to follow along with my progress (Garmin Live Tracking). So many more things can go wrong when you are running instead of hiking in the woods.

Sockser posted:

Too many people in this thread carrying nalgenes god drat

Get an Aquafina or if you really want to shave grams, a smart water bottle. Save yourself 2.5 ounces of pack weight for each one, and they’re thin and easier to stuff in the side pockets of your pack, etc etc etc

Yep. I stopped carrying Nalgenes a few years ago, and joined the Smartwater bottle trend. Plus they work great with the Sawyer mini. On longer hikes I do carry a bladder, but I mostly don't use a drinking tube (unless I am on a super long trail run).

nate fisher fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Mar 19, 2021

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
I keep 2 pairs of Leki poles behind the backseat fold down of my Tacoma. You never know when you might need them.

Shame about the 20% coupon restrictions and the Garmin inReach mini. I guess I will wait for a sale (if you see one in the future please post here).

REI use to put stuff like that on sale (exclusions) at the same time as when the coupon was active. I purchased several Yakima and Thule items at a discount during this time, but just looked none of these type items are on sale. I feel like this is a recent change, and could possibly be COVID related (I know stock of these items have been low over the last year).

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Math You posted:

I use nuun tubes. Includes a desiccant cap as well. Nuun is also great to have on a trip, so I have no problem coming up with more.

What is the best flavor?

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

SwissArmyDruid posted:

...sure, why not. As much as i hate how the interiors "decay" with age, I still have yet to find a substitute I like more.

Same about the interior. I did switch to the OR Helium when it was on sale a few years ago and it holds up great. That said for the price the Precip is hard to beat.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
I love my Fiskars (need to sharpen it) and I’ve been using it for last 5 years.

I will say the best recent camping purchase I have made is a small battery operated chainsaw. It cuts great while being quieter than a normal chainsaw and is is really lite.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
As a trail runner in the Southeast, I will not buy shoes unless they have a rock plate or high enough stack height that the rock plate doesn't matter (example of this would be the Hoka Speedgoat). Even on gravel roads, after 10 miles or so you will start to appreciate it.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
I am at work, but my garage has 2 large shelves full of gear, plus sleeping bags and backpacks hanging from the walls. I am bad for not getting rid of gear. Example I have a North Face Cat's Meow bag and a Peak One tent that are 25+ years old, and I haven't used either of them in 10 years. Hell I am not sure Peak One is even around any more (it was the name of Coleman's high end gear at the time). I think I hold on to it because I am a gear whore, and I am always like what if someone needs to borrow something. Plus it easier to loan out my old Osprey Exos than my Hyperlite pack (that is never going to happen).

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
I think the Sawyer Squeeze + Smart Water combo works great for personal use. Outside of that your best choice for more water would be a gravity system like the Platypus GravityWorks. I haven’t use GravityWorks, so I am going by stuff I read in the past.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

evilpicard posted:

Can anyone recommend a water bottle holder and a phone pocket that can attach to backpack shoulder steps? It's hard to find reviews and I've never seen one in stores.

Here's an examole:

https://mountainlaureldesigns.com/product/shoulder-strap-pouches/

I am a big fan (when it comes to phone holders) of https://www.hyperlitemountaingear.c...YhoC7KoQAvD_BwE

But it comes with the Hyperlite MG name tax.

Also if you are using a SmartWater type bottle this rocks

https://zpacks.com/products/aquaclip-kit

Edit: \/\/\/\/\/ I know, just typical HMG. I love their stuff (I also have their Southwest backpack plus their fanny pack), but do they make you pay premium.

nate fisher fucked around with this message at 18:33 on May 9, 2021

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

evilpicard posted:

That's great, thanks.

I am Canadian so unfortunately quite used to getting ripped off for backpacking gear.

just paid $35 CAD for the $7 water bottle clip, and I will probably get charged another $20-40 in "processing" from UPS and receive it in 1-2 months.

Christ I am going to start smuggling backpacking gear from the US to Canada. Sorry about that.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
I went the cheap route with RTIC and it was fine for most basic stuff. That said I did upgrade to Yeti last year and there is a truly a difference.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
I’ve been using Repel Lemon Eucalyptus for a couple of years and I swear by it. I am a trail runner and mountain biker, and am in the woods anywhere from 3 to 5 times a week. To be clear I live in East Tennessee, so our mosquito problem is not as bad as other places. Biggest negative is smell, but I really don’t care. So far no bites while wearing running or biking.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

liz posted:

I was recently down in Great Smoky Mountain NP to see the synchronous fireflies and was shocked when I came out of the woods (wearing shorts) with no bites. Are they just not as aggressive down there?

Also, it was my first time to the park and it’s now one of my favorite places I’ve been! Definitely want to go back and stay at Leconte Lodge.

They are worse in the foothills where I live (Knoxville) than the GSMNP, but even in the foothills they are not aggressive as I’ve experienced in other areas. Still I have made the mistake of getting cocky and not using spray only to get eaten up. So if I’m in the woods, I’m spraying down my legs and arms.

I try to do the LeConte hike once a year, and this year I am planning to trail run it solo for the first time. I would recommend getting on the AT at Newfound Gap to the Boulevard Trail (it has the least people) to LeConte and using Alum Cave Trail to go down as the best LeConte hike. You will need 2 cars of course since 2 trailheads or you can park at Alum Cave and hitchhike up ti Newfound Gap (very easy for hikers to do). If you can’t just take Alum Cave up and down.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

testifeye posted:

I love my Speedgoats. I trained in them for a year for running and backpacking, and they were awesome. I did the Wonderland (93 miles, 24000 ft gain and loss, varied terrain and river crossings) in them with no blisters and healthy feet. Just got a new pair for this season.

Footwear is really personal and I think trial and error was what I needed to find my best arrangement. I like REI for that because I can return shoes even after trying them for a reasonable stretch.

Big fan of Speedgoat too, with my favorite being the EVO Speedgoat. It is a faster version of the SG (Jim Walmsley just won the Western States in the EVO SG), and my slow rear end has put over 400 miles of trail running on them.

Myself I think the best trail shoe right now is the VJ Ultra. If you want a trail shoe (for hiking or running) that has some good cushion, that is light, and probably has the best grip of any trail shoe out there the VJ Ultra is it. Seriously best shoes I have ever used in mud or wet surfaces. It has become my main shoe even over the EVO SG. Only negative is no rock plate (and price of $160). Still the midsole provides plenty of protection and I love to bomb down hills on my runs.

https://vjshoesusa.com/products/ultra

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
Every hiker and runner should have a balance board at home. I starting using one after a really bad ankle sprain, and I still use it a couple of days a week. I use to have a problem with under pronation (foot rolling outwards), but it rarely happens anymore. I owe part of that to the balance board.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

xzzy posted:

A usb powered fan might be the best tent upgrade I've ever tried out. I should have done it years ago.

Falling asleep under a breeze after sweating all day is just the best.

I guess I should try out cowboy camping someday for the earth friendly version.

I picked a Geek Aire fan earlier this year and I will never car camp without it.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07P3ZG4B5/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Chard posted:

this fan is 110$ on sale, 140 regular. if you're car camping anyway, why not just get a power converter and a 20$ box fan?

Cause having a good cordless fan that last all day is worth that, especially if your wife is going through menopause. We not only use it for camping, she uses when cooking or in her home office or hanging out on deck. If she heard you say this she might stab you (especially if she was having a hot flash). The convince of it is worth every dollar especially given the battery life. I have a Tacoma that allows you to plug stuff into the truck bed and a Jackery 500, so I have the power to do other things if I want (and charge stuff as needed).

nate fisher fucked around with this message at 12:24 on Jul 31, 2021

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

OSU_Matthew posted:

I would like to know more about your solar generator, please and thank you! I was looking at getting one and a couple of 100w suitcase panels to take car camping so I could work on the road. I'd be especially curious to get your impressions and why Jackery vs something else :)

I still have bought solar panels for it, because I haven't really needed them. On a full charge it does everything I normally need it to and worst case I recharge it with my truck. I picked Jackery due to it held it's own against Goal Zero (I looked at several comparison reviews online) and was cheaper.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
My biggest complaint about Patagonia capilene shirts is my nipples are out for the world to see. Does any know of a company that makes shirts like this that don't show your nipples so well?

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

FogHelmut posted:

A travel trailer is smaller.

Hello Kingdom 6 buddy (the tents are facing the French Broad river in the pic)

This is from a camping trip earlier this year in Hot Spring, NC with my wife and kids. I had that Sierra Designs tent for at least 15 years I think, but no longer use it that much. Depending on situation, I rotate back and forth between the Kingdom 6 and the rooftop tent on my Tacoma. I 100% prefer the rooftop tent when it comes to sleeping (It has a queen size memory foam mattress in it) and while I was a little hesitant buying it (I got it from REI so I could return if needed), I am glad I made the purchase. I am planning to get a camper shell later this year or earlier next, but it will have a roof rack to support the tent.

nate fisher fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Sep 17, 2021

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

aparmenideanmonad posted:

I considered the Kingdom 6 when I bought the old model North Face Wawona 6 (https://www.rei.com/product/112236/the-north-face-wawona-6-tent) but the outgoing Wawona was discounted ($300) and the mudroom was integrated rather than a separate purchase (~$600 for the Kingdom 6 + mudroom). They are both huge and glorious and I would have been happy to snag the Kingdom as well.

Not a great pic to appreciate the hugeness, but here was our most recent setup this summer:

I almost got this tent instead of Kingdom. If I remember correctly it doesn’t use a rain fly (it is built in instead)?

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
My only complaint about Osprey is they screwed up the last Exos redesign. They took my favorite pack and ruined it by downgrading the shoulder straps and the hip belt. I currently use Granite Gear and HMG packs, but Osprey can win me back with a new Exos.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Business of Ferrets posted:

For when you need to dismember the body but the walls are too thin to run a real chainsaw.

Dexter is that you?

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

I have a lot HMG stuff and I think their packs are some of the best out there, but they moved production to Mexico last year. They were open and honest about (not enough skilled stitchers), but they are no longer made in the US. Still that doesn’t stop me from buying them.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
This was my biggest REI rewards yet at $343. It was mainly due to buying a rack for my truck bed and a rooftop tent for said rack, plus we went REI heavy this Christmas. The only issue is I really don’t want a thing from REI right now. The only thing I need to buy are Speedgoat 5s, but rumor is they will sell out when released. So I’m going straight to Hoka to get them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
I have a garage and all my sleeping bags/quilts are hanging on the walls.