Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Morbus
May 18, 2004

alnilam posted:

Yeah I'm still all about the pump filter. When i combined stuff with my wife we kept her slightly nicer condition katadyn hiker pump, but i liked my msr just fine too

Ever since i experienced a worse-than-expected water supply and had to pump from the tiniest dribbling stream, i insist on having a pump with a tube. You can't dip a gravity/squeeze filler bottle into that.

Kind of a niche tip here, but I did a trip in death valley where there was a guaranteed water source but it could be a very shallow & thin stream. I just have squeeze/gravity filters. I brought a ~80ml squeeze bulb and used that to fill the pouch for the filter. Worked surprisingly well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morbus
May 18, 2004

Just a few oz of extra insulation in a sleeping bad or bag can extend the comfort range by 10's of degrees. For high fill power down in sleeping bags, its around 10 degrees F per 3 oz down, which is insane. The difference between a r=2.5 pad and a r=4.5 pad is like 4 oz. There is no better comfort/weight tradeoff than that.

Morbus
May 18, 2004

Cat rear end Trophy posted:

I got hold of my brother's similar vintage North Face pack with the same situation. I just removed it all using this method:
https://outdoors.stackexchange.com/...ed%20amazingly.

This method does work. My wife did this with an old 2nd hand granite gear pack that started delaminating ~4 years ago, and she still uses that pack.

That internal waterproofing sucks anyway, just use a trash compactor bag or similar liner (or, if waterproofing is important and you are getting a new pack, just get one made out of an inherently waterproof fabric)

If you're otherwise fine with the pack, it's by no means a death sentence.

Morbus
May 18, 2004

Pantsmaster Bill posted:

I have a few bike packing events coming up next year, so I need some new sleeping equipment. My current stuff (synthetic North Face Cats Meow and cheap self-inflating pad) are far too big to carry on the bike, even if they are pretty comfy.

I’m in the UK and can’t see myself needing to go out in the winter, so 3 season seems fine. I’ve been looking at 0C comfort bags just in case, because one event is in Scotland in September, but maybe I can go higher and supplement with a jacket/thermals if necessary. I’m not going to be super competitive so I’m not looking to spend a tonne to shave a few grams off, but pack size is important.

I’ve been looking at something like this for a sleeping bag. But I’ve never used a quilt before and saw this quilt recommended elsewhere which looks interesting and versatile. I tend to get very hot legs in sleeping bags, especially if I’ve been working hard in the day, so the option to stick a foot out to cool down is attractive. But drafts on a cold/windy night seem worrying, which is why I’ve never considered a quilt before!

Pads….no idea. Any suggestions?

Will probably go with a Lanshan 1 for a tent, although a bivvy might be handier for stealth camping for one of the races.

Any comments/ideas welcome!

If you're in the UK I'd consider sticking with a synthetic bag/quilt instead of down. There are ~0C synthetic options with packed sizes around 6-7 liters, (and +10C options with packed sizes around 2 liters).

For pads, the xlite/xtherm from thermarest can't really be beat in terms of warmth vs. weight or packed volume, but they are expensive. I've found the pads from exped to be slightly more durable and cheaper, just a bit heavier and with a bit more packed volume (still small, though).

Morbus
May 18, 2004

The Fool posted:

assuming I have a full set of backpacking/ camping gear but it's all nearly a decade old is there anything that is a must update/ replace?

or is it reasonable to just swap out the tent for a hammock and see how the test overnight shakes out

I think the sawyer squeeze came out in like 2011 and the katadyn befree after. Before the sawyer squeeze there wasn't any comparable lightweight water filter, so depending on what you were using before, there may be some significant improvements there (plus if your water filter is really old it may not be any good anymore).

Morbus
May 18, 2004

I would recommend a flexible 10 pt strap-on crampon like G10s or similar. You can put them on any boots (or even trail runners, though that isn't really recommended). and they will provide a lot more security than microspikes.

The problem with microspikes is that there is a limited range of slope angles and snow conditions where they are effective, and they become mostly useless when you go beyond those. A hard rule of mine is if I need to take an ice ax, I take real crampons; in any situation where the former is warranted, the latter is going to be, in practice, far more useful. Conversely if the condition of the boot pack, the mildness of the slope angle, the snow conditions, and your ability to stay on-trail are so assured as to obviate the need for crampons, what is the ax for?

Morbus
May 18, 2004

Sab669 posted:

Hey guys, looking for a recommendation for a large pack that still fits as a carry-on for flights?

I'll be bringing at least:
- Tent + sleeping bag
- Climbing shoes + harness
- Two days of clothes
- 30 & 60oz water bottles
- Other stuff I haven't realized I need yet?

Also, super awkward that you can fly with a tent but tent stakes need to go in checked luggage. I mean I get it, but still annoying lol.

Planning my first flying-and-camping trip in May and just finding a bunch of small hiccups like this :v:

It's going to depend a lot on your tent and sleeping bag. I've taken all my backpacking gear and carry-on permissible climbing gear in an arcteryx FL45, but that's only possible because it was a very compressible sleeping bag and a trekking pole supported tent. Anyway like you say, there is always some poo poo you have to check anyway unless you want to buy it when you get there (any liquid fuel stove, anything sharp, trekking pole....).

If you just need a pack that is compatible with the stated carry-on limitations in the US, I think 50L or so is about the limit, depending on how stuffed it is.

Morbus
May 18, 2004

carrionman posted:

What's the most breathable raingear people could recommend? I'm a heavy sweater and frankly if I'm powering up mountains it feels like I may as well not bother with a jacket as I'll get just as wet from the inside.

As pointed out an umbrella is 100% breathable, but I don't find them (or ponchos) to be practical in the mountains because they don't do well in high winds.

The thing is if it's really cold, windy, and raining...nobody ever complained about being too warm. If it's not those things, but you are still in mountain weather, light fleece (or just a thicker baselayer) + reasonably breathable windbreaker is imo really great at keeping your base layer pretty dry, and you can roll up sleeves or unzip one or the other to trade off waterproofness vs. breathability.

If it's raining hard and not windy, poncho or umbrella is the way to go.

The good thing is windbreakers and ponchos are extremely light and packable, so if you're doing something where there is an approach through a forest in pouring rain, more rain during a hike above the treeline, and freezing wind driven rain on a summit...you could just bring a poncho, a windbreaker, and a hardshell and they wont be much more weight and volume than if you just brought the hardshell. Personally I just take a windbreaker + hardshelll and use the former 90% of the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morbus
May 18, 2004

Chillyrabbit posted:

I'm looking for some footwear recommendations.

I currently have a pair of Salomon X ultra 4 GTX hiking shoes, that I purchased around 2021 when they first came out. Now they are pretty beat up and worn down and I'm looking for a replacement. The easy option is to just rebuy them again, since I liked them but I wanted to explore other alternatives in case there are new shoes since then that have come out or ones that fit my use cases better.

I use my Salomons as my everyday outdoor/hiking shoe, if there was any chance I would walk in dirt, mud, snow, rain I wore them. I've probably walked more miles on pavement with them than trail but I appreciated the toughness and resilience that getting them a little wet didn't mean my socks/feet were soaked unlike sneakers.

I like the low cut of the shoe as I want to use them for day hiking, and general outdoor use and don't need "ankle support". I prize the light weight and flexibility of the shoe so much that it is one of my most comfortable shoes to wear just all the time. I probably would go for a goretex model to resist any rain/water that gets on or splashes on the shoe but I can do without.

I've been looking at trail runners as an alternative option to consider but I don't really know how to pick or narrow down my search as every shoe is "premium" "light" "flexible" "perfect for [you]".

So alternative shoes/brands I should explore? Or just buy the Salomons again because they're that good, (nearly every "best hiking shoe list" has them somewhere at 1 or near the top)

Salomon makes a bunch of trail runners and lighter weight non-GTX hiking shoes. I haven't tried them personally but I see s/lab ultras everywhere. I have no idea if the last is the same as the hiking shoes you are used to, but salomon in general tends to make footwear that is "average" sized, so you may consider starting there. If you need something narrower maybe try la sportiva, if you want wider definitely try altras.

As you say there are a bunch of different trail runners, approach shoes, etc. on the market and it can be hard to differentiate them just reading the (mostly meaningless) ad copy. Is there some particular reason you are looking at alternatives or something specific you want out of your footwear (i.e. lighter weight, more breathable, better traction, more flexible or more stiff, looking for better performance in certain terrain, climbing ability, looking to actually run in them, etc...)

One thing I'll tell you is trail runners/approach shoes are not built for durability and many of them aren't cheap either. So if you value that in your current shoes, they do everything you want them to, and they fit well...I'm not sure there's much value in dropping $100-200 to try something else.