Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Ledhed posted:

Yeah “double” hammocks are marketed as being big enough for two people, but I don’t know anyone that uses them that way. What it tangibly means is a double is wider than a single, which for some people makes getting a diagonal lay easier.

My gf and I use our double hammock together constantly, but as a chair or place to chill while hiking. Sleeping overnight in it together would be awful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

yeah you should cook the flour, but you could probably just throw it dry on a sheet tray and bake it in the oven a little bit

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

It's called trail tartare and it's high class you plebs :rolleyes:

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

CopperHound posted:

I don't know much about them but I don't see any ridge lines in their pictures. I highly recommend adding a structural Ridgeline eventually.

What does this do for you? I've been using a hammock without one for ages and it's been fine, what am I missing?

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

what do you guys do when camping in those stove heated tents? try not to freeze? hunt polar bears?

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

I have a travel set of kitchen gear I use for car camping as well as for general travel if I'm staying in a place with a kitchen.

https://www.amazon.com/Delicacy-Cookware-Utensils-Organizer-Resistant/dp/B07DXRWGCS/ref=mp_s_a_1_16

Not this exact set but close enough. I've added some salt, spices and cooking oil to it and sharpened the knives. I originally just got it for camping but I liked it so much that I started taking it with me to air bnbs and such since they have garbage kitchen tools most of the time.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

I got a cot recently but haven't camped with it yet. If you put a sleeping pad on top of the cot it becomes a pretty serviceable bed

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Carbon steel is great to cook on and exactly the same to care for as cast iron, it just is a bit more expensive.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

I live in Seattle and use a Columbia rain jacket that works great, I bought it from their store in town years ago and re-waterproof it about once a year. It was maybe $100 bucks. I've heard the REI ones are good too and most brands make ones that pack down into one of their own pockets for storage. If you want to also use it to hike I would recommend one with pit vents

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Spray on stuff from amazon I think, my GF buys it. You spritz it on the coat and let it dry, then throw it in your dryer to heat set the coating. Lasts about a year before I need to do it again and I walk a lot in the rain

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Outdoor stuff has insane markup at many retailers. I have a ton of AliExpress gear that doesn't cost an arm and a leg and I'm mostly satisfied with it. Bonus, the brand names are all ridiculous.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

MustardFacial posted:

Please tell me more about AliExpress gear. If I can get something just as good as a name brand product for a fraction of the cost I will do it (like my $54 AliExpress GoPros)

Sure, heres some things I've purchased and been pleased with:

Hammock + Straps
Hammock Underquilt https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000475432624.html
Stuff sacks
Headlamps, flashlights and lanterns
Fly rod and reel
Fly fishing tackle bag: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32974902311.html
This hat i wear when kayaking: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/33056122199.html
Kayak Sail

I don't have this table because I ordered a different one before I saw it, but look at that branding:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32952514879.html

And a bunch of other stuff. Honestly most of the stuff I've purchased has been pretty decent, nothing has felt so crappy it wasn't worth the discounted price but buying from Ali is always somewhat of a gamble.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

The store I got the hammock from doesn't exist any more unfortunately but I think it was only $15. Search hammock and sort by most orders, they have a few parachute material ones for under 20 bucks that I would buy if I didn't have one. I also have an ENO doublenest that was like 4x the cost of the Ali hammocks and it's not 4x better.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

a coleman stove is great for camping and will last forever. my dad has one that's probably 40 years old and still works well. might be a bit large if you're living in your car full time and need the space though. i have one of those chinese grocery single butane burners too and i like mine a lot actually, it's not the beefiest burner but they're very size friendly. i go to the asian store regularly so i just buy the fuel there with my groceries and it's only like 6 bucks for a 4 pack of fuel cans and they last a few meals.

my burner only cost me $20 at my local asian grocery center

i liked it so much i bought a tiny butane grill that takes the same fuel cans that works great for grilling hot dogs and skewers. It's not super powerful but it fits in a box the size of a suitcase so it's easy to take it to the park or something to do a little grilling.

if you ever stay in a cold weather area these butane burners won't work. propane still will, a coleman will be better all around but if you need something tiny i find the butane burners perfectly useable

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

that pic isn't the exact one i have either, i assume they're all the same mostly. :shrug: ive used mine for hot pot, bacon, hashbrowns, eggs, bratwurst, coffee, fajitas, all sorts of stuff and never had any issues. the fuel can does get cold but ive never noticed ice forming or the fuel flow cutting out.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

get a day pack w a waist belt that has a snack/weed compartment

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

I put an inline filter on my CamelBak bladder and it tastes much better now, takes out the plastic taste

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

i only put water in my bladder but my filter has the quick connect ends on it so you could just take it out when drinking sugar water.

it's one of these but they don't make them anymore, i wanted it specifically because i just wanted a carbon filter and they're like $15:
https://www.rei.com/product/812018/camelbak-fresh-reservoir-filter
i had to find some small shop in new mexico that still had some in stock on their website, i got one and a friend of mine bought their last one. it will fit on non-camelbak bladders, they all seem to use the same fitting. you can probably still find one if you do some net sleuthing. they take filters that also go in some camelbak water bottle so they're easy enough to source.

MSR makes one with a pore filter like a saywer mini combined with carbon but its $40:
https://www.msrgear.com/water-treatment/filters-and-purifiers/thru-link-inline-water-filter/13236.html
ive never used it but similar idea here

PokeJoe fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Aug 21, 2020

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

More ali-gear:

This headlamp is nice, you can focus the main light and the red leds are great for digging around your shared tent in the dark. It's rechargable and it weighs about 75 grams w included strap.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000162962529.html

This lantern is good enough to illuminate my campsite well enough a few people to dick around and it also has a red light. It's also supposedly weatherproof but I haven't left it in the rain to try.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000096108187.html

No USB C charging though, all micro.

I've caught a bunch of trout with this fly rod and reel set:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/2006693589.html

Flies and accessories are not badly priced either:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32296662898.htm
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32956197658.html
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1347349292.html

Cheap clip-on lenses for your phone to take fish pics. These work ok. I have some other ones outside the set too but I use the macro and zoom lenses.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32813157327.html

You can use them for stuff like this:
https://i.imgur.com/nPHbpvp.mp4

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

it's a # 3/4. that's exactly what i do with it, throw it on my pack for a hike and toss a line in if i see a nice spot (where legal of course)

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

it's pretty bright, the ability to focus it also lets you get a wide spread for up close or a narrow bright beam for stuff far away. it lasts a while, it hasn't died on me yet while camping or hiking but I do charge it most times between uses. id say 6-8 hours? probably more if you use less bright settings.

its my 3rd Ali headlamp. First took AAAs like yours and it annoyed me so I got a rechargable. That one was great and only like 6 bucks but I wanted a red light so I got this one and it's been good upgrade so far. None of them have crapped out on me and I used the last one for years.

also it's only $15

E : here's the box with battery life and illumination estimates

PokeJoe fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Aug 28, 2020

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

if I'm cold I put a quilt on top of my sleeping bag

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

i tried to go to a seattle flagship garage sale once and got bored after waiting in line for like 30 minutes without moving. i also returned a brand new osprey to that store earlier this year because the frame was incredibly squeaky and driving me insane, someone else got a great deal on a psychosis inducing pack.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

I got rid of my osprey pack because I couldn't get the frame to stop squeaking extremely loudly. I got a gregory pack instead and it's been good

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Verman posted:

I love Darn Tough socks. The smartwool socks I bought for the same price seem to pull apart so much more than my darn toughs do. Any outdoor sock I have is being slowly replaced with DT because they're that good.

Same, I've got like 7 pairs of them now. I got my job to expense me a few pairs under our "wellness" plan lol

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

My wellness plan is extremely permissive, when I first started they told me someone got their entire PCT gear loadout covered under it. I can get massages, outdoor gear, fitness classes, spa treatments, anything that I can reasonably describe as improving my "wellness." I mostly tag it as exercise/outdoor gear.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

I love my bladder so much I bought a bigger one. With an inline charcoal filter the plastic taste goes away.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Depends on when you got your training. Post Iraq/Afghanistan we've learned a limb stands a good chance for up to 6 hours in a tourniquet.

Interesting, I too was taught it's pretty much an "amputation or death" choice. 6 hours isn't bad but also if you're in the backcountry it can easily not be enough time. Anyone have any links on some up to date reading?

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

The god of sandwiches, the BLT. Keep the bread separate from the rest of the stuff and assemble it right before you eat it. Fast, easy, not soggy, and satisfying. I also bought this self heating curry rice to take on my next long hike but haven't tried it before so I'll hold off on review. It's ~1400 calories. Theres lots of non-MRE self heating things out there.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

There's a big pile of them at H-mart and I just grab what looks good :shrug:. Sometimes I see non-asian foods at various outdoor stores too and amazon has somewhat of a selection if the MRE options seem unpalatable. I specifically got this curry rice because it's high calorie, if you eat a whole 2.5 serving beef stroganoff mountain house it's still like 1/3rd the calories of this curry rice.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Most of my campsites are shaded but I have noticed the sun fading my rainfly over the years. I'm sure eventually it will gently caress it up but I rolled a beetle inside it once and it chewed a hole though it so I think it will die via my stupidity before the sun eats it.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

2nd fiskars, I have a hatchet I like from them and a friend has a big axe they like.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

My sleeping pads and bags are all stored under my bed unrolled and unpacked

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

i just have a rechargable fan I clip in the top of the tent. when I was a kid in the Midwest my dad would just bring a window air conditioner to a plug in site and stick it in the tent door for those 90 degree nights

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

xzzy posted:

My main issue with the kingdom is it's not 100% hooks. At least the poles are smooth so nothing snags, but I still dread stuffing tent poles through tubes because all my camping trips as a youth was tainted by trying to feed those crappy fibreglass rods with aluminum sockets though a too-small tube.

That's a pretty nitpicky complaint though.

Agreed though, the tubes are far worse than the hooks. Probably a lot of us had a youth full of those crappy tents and the modern stuff is just so much better

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Does it need to be Flippy/adjustable? Look into camping or backpacking cots if not, some pack down very well

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

i unknowingly rolled a big beetle up in my tent and he chewed a little hole in it. what's the best way to patch it?

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Any day bag recommendations? I have a CamelBak now that I like a lot but it's got a hole in it and and I've got about $200 of "wellness" money to spend from my job before November. The newer camelbacks don't look very interesting though. Some of the Osprey bags look nice but the last osprey I bought had a squeaky frame that drove me insane so I got rid of it.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

My current bag is a rim runner 22. It's got a 3L water bladder that I'd like to keep or at least match in volume. It's stuffed to the gills though so something like 28 or 30L seems like it would be good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

I ended up getting a mystery ranch scree 32 to replace my CamelBak day bag. It holds all my stuff from my old bag and has enough room left over for a decent sized lunch cooler.

re pants: I have a Columbia pair of pants that I like a lot. They're pretty thin and light and I always end up choosing them over the heavier more durable feeling pairs I have. I got a few decent thicker pairs at Costco if I want something tougher feeling but I rarely wear them since the lighter ones are just more convenient to pack.