Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

liz
Nov 4, 2004

Stop listening to the static.

nate fisher posted:

I’ve been using Repel Lemon Eucalyptus for a couple of years and I swear by it. I am a trail runner and mountain biker, and am in the woods anywhere from 3 to 5 times a week. To be clear I live in East Tennessee, so our mosquito problem is not as bad as other places. Biggest negative is smell, but I really don’t care. So far no bites while wearing running or biking.

I was recently down in Great Smoky Mountain NP to see the synchronous fireflies and was shocked when I came out of the woods (wearing shorts) with no bites. Are they just not as aggressive down there?

Also, it was my first time to the park and it’s now one of my favorite places I’ve been! Definitely want to go back and stay at Leconte Lodge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

liz
Nov 4, 2004

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I've been meaning to go to the firefly thing. How was it?

We actually went post peak (I think it’s first week of June) and it was still incredible. Definitely worth it! Especially if you’re a photographer, there are some beautiful long exposures.

We were lucky enough to tag along with a local family (who ended up being a fantastic guide) on the Little River Creek trail. They came out about 9:30-10 and for a few hours we were surrounded by magical waves of light. It almost felt like there should be a concert to accompany it. It’s a pretty cool mating ritual!

liz
Nov 4, 2004

So I’m going on my first backpacking trip Labor Day weekend! I opted to try an REI trip since I don’t know anyone with backpacking experience and just wanted to try it out.

I have some hiking gear/clothing already but need recommendations on sleeping bag and pads for backpacking. I already decided on the Osprey Aura 65, but if I could get it used even better! Any other advice or tips for first timers?

liz
Nov 4, 2004

OSU_Matthew posted:

Very cool! Should be a great time. Out of curiosity, what kind of mileage does REI do on their trips?

It depends on the location, but I chose one of the easier trips with a daily mileage of no more than 6-7 mostly because I’ve never hiked with 30-40lbs on my back.

OSU_Matthew posted:

Depending on where you’re going, Labor Day would probably still be pretty warm but could dip temperature wise. If you don’t mind the extra weight, I’ve found that a 20 degree bag is a great starting point for 3+ seasons where I’m at. Kelty Cosmic Down 20 is one of the perennial thread recommendations for sleeping bags, as it hits a nice balance of affordable, lightweight, and good performance. If you’re further south or don’t anticipate being out in colder weather, 30 degrees is as high as I’d go to start. I’m also a cold sleeper. I would try to rate your bag 10 degrees below what you expect to use it in, and a little extra insulation never hurts.

Quilts are another thing to consider as well, such as Hammock Gear’s Economy Burrow. Since insulation doesn’t do much when smooshed, you basically rely on your pad for insulation underneath, and you’d probably want a slightly higher R-Value.

I’m mainly a hammock camper, but I do like my Thermarest inflatable pad for sleeping on the ground. I’ll let others chime in with better and more current recommendations.

Thanks! I will definitely look for a 20 degree bag. Hammock sounds great though. However, the day I was in the Smokies, I heard about a girl at a backcountry site that was attacked by a bear as she was sleeping in a hammock. :stare:

Verman posted:

I see you already have clothing but darn tough wool socks and exofficio underwear. I won't backpack with anything else. They can be worn longer without being as gross. I usually bring 2-3 pair of each and just change then out each day. I'll try to wash/rinse them out when arriving to camp if weather allows then to dry.

Sleeping bag: always going to suggest the kelty cosmic down. It's hard to beat (weight, packability, and performance) for the price.

Sleeping pad: are you a back/stomach or side sleeper? There are so many pads out there now, just get something with insulation, an r value of 4 or more unless you live in Florida and don't plan to backpack anywhere it gets cool at night. If you don't need the insulation it's not a big deal to have it but if you need it you'll wish you had it. If you aren't a picky sleeper and you sleep mostly on your back, consider a closed cell foam pad like a thermarest z lite. Super light, cheap, doesn't pop or require inflation. Not very comfortable but it works for some. I'm a side sleeper so I need a thick pad. I really like the big Agnes insulated qcore or whatever they call it now. Packs around a nalgene size and about a pound and a half and incredibly comfortable. I could save some weight with another pad but I can't sacrifice my sleep quality. A thing with some air pads, they can be noisy, like sleeping on bubble wrap. Some of the sea to summit pads had this issue for a while. They are also prone to punctures, in my experience it's mostly at the interior baffle seams vs a big puncture from a rock or stick. Seam grip/shoe goo fixes it right up. There's self inflating pads and other combos of air and foam. People really like the rei flash pad. It has some air and some self inflating foam. If you get an air pad, consider a corresponding pump. It's usually a super thin storage bag that connects to the valve so you don't have to blow it up with your mouth. Wet lung air isn't good to stay in a mattress for long periods (mold, mildew, bacteria).

Something that I never expected when I started backpacking despite having camped my whole life: I got a little anxiety on my first trip. I had a bit of sensory overload. Eating new food (dehydrated stuff) and worrying if I packed enough, being somewhere I've never been and out of my element, feeling exposed and vulnerable in the woods, worrying about bears etc. For someone who has always been outdoors it was kind of surprising to be honest. It went away eventually.

That's cool though, where is the trip?

PCT section near Mt Shasta. My dream trip is a multi day to Phantom Ranch and/or Rim to Rim. The Grand Canyon has always fascinated me and I would love to spend a few days exploring down there.

Having no backpacking experience, I figured it would be good to go with a group and guides. Hoping to learn all the basics to be able to go on my own someday!

Pretty nervous about the whole bear thing though… like should I not bring anything scented at all?

I’m also torn on the whole inflatable vs egg carton pads. But everyone has given really good suggestions and advice, I really appreciate it!

liz
Nov 4, 2004

Random gear question since I’m looking for sleeping pads: does the color yellow actually attract bees?

liz
Nov 4, 2004

How do you guys deal with ticks on your trips? I thought someone mentioned this recently but it might have mosquitoes.

I had a possible lyme scare a few years back (weird rash and symptoms) and I’d like not to repeat that experience. I’ve been reading all about permethrin treated clothing, does this really work? And is it ok to douse all my gear in it?

I’m going to Northern California for my trip, which I don’t think is known for ticks but I’m the overly cautious type.

Appreciate all the gear and first time advice, super happy this thread exists!

liz
Nov 4, 2004

armorer posted:

Yeah I also spray my socks, shoes, and go heavy with it on my pants cuffs. Never had a rash. There's kinda no reason to spray boxers though anyway.

I got a sleeping bag liner treated with permethrin. Haven’t tested it yet, but I’m assuming the treatment is only on the outside then? Will this mess up the inside of my bag? I don’t even know if it’s necessary to have it but sounded like a good idea.

Unfortunately, I won’t be able to treat the tent since I’m going on a guided trip and they aren’t my tents.

liz
Nov 4, 2004

PoorHobo posted:

My idea on a liner is that it helps preserve the bag against dirt and grime since it’s easier to clean than the bag, so i guess I could go for a light and not insulating liner for that reason.

For the clothing, I’m honestly way inexperienced. Do you have suggestions for a 6’4” 175 lb guy? Style is a non issue for me, so function is all that matters.

I haven’t used it yet, but found an insect repellent liner from Sea to Summit. As much as I love the outdoors, ticks scare the poo poo out of me so was happy to find this:

https://www.rei.com/product/797112/sea-to-summit-adaptor-coolmax-mummy-sleeping-bag-liner-with-insect-shield

liz
Nov 4, 2004

e: wrong thread, found the regular hiking one

liz fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Apr 26, 2022

liz
Nov 4, 2004

Few questions here…

What’s the best way to clean my Osprey daypack? I have a Sirrus 24 and the top front section is pretty dingy and dirty.

I’m camping in Mt Rainier mid September, what kind of layers would work for sleeping? My bag is rated 15 but I’m just not sure what to wear for sleeping? Sadly, I haven’t been camping in awhile.

And finally, I’ve heard the mosquitoes are pretty bad there, can anyone attest to this and would it be a worthwhile investment to pick up a bug net for my head?

Thanks!

liz
Nov 4, 2004

its all nice on rice posted:

What part of Rainier? What's your altitude? I've camped near Rainier at ~5,200' in late September. A 15 bag worked just fine, and I sleep in my underwear with wool socks while camping. I also have an insulated sleeping pad. An insulated pad is something people can easily forget, but it adds a lot to your comfort and warmth. Mine isn't even very high. Something like r-3.5/4.
The bugs have been very bad this year. They should be as bad in the mid to late September as they are now, but I would definitely treat your gear with permethrin and bring bug spray/cream. A bug net for your head is also a good idea. Even If you don't use it, they pack small and are light anyway.

E: a sponge and soft bristle brush with mild, soapy water should be enough to clean your bag.

Cougar Rock, near Paradise… I think it’s about 3,000 feet. Will definitely get that net and spray, thanks!

liz
Nov 4, 2004

Are there any trekking poles that will shrink to fit into a 40l bag? Trying to figure out how to travel with my sleeping bag and poles… Already bringing a carry on & daypack, but will probably need to check camping stuff (sleeping bag, liner, pillow, poles, etc) and not sure how to go about this without having to check 2 bags?

liz
Nov 4, 2004

Maybe I’m picking the wrong ones, but DT has never worked for me. Smartwool forever!

Ok, here’s my random question: for camping in places with bears, should I be using all unscented things? I’m wondering if bringing unscented deodorant is necessary? Is there anything else I should bring/not bring in this scenario? There are bear boxes at the campsite, but I’ve never camped in places with bears before…

liz
Nov 4, 2004

Verman posted:

And the clothes you wore while cooking/eating.

drat, this is making me nervous… I’ve only ever seen a bear once face to face on a trail and I don’t want to ever repeat that experience because it was a mama foraging and she literally lifted a log with one paw.

There’s only so much I can do about my clothing scents. I’ll be with a large group camping so I don’t think my own actions will make that much of a difference when there’s like 12 others who may or may not follow those rules.

liz
Nov 4, 2004

Has anyone here done the Wonderland Trail in Mt Rainier NP? I’m honestly in love with that place and I got the crazy idea that I have to do this trail.

Just wanted some personal experience background. I just got done with the Grand Canyon, camped at the bottom and explored some of the trails down there. If I can climb in and out of the canyon with a loaded pack, do you think it’s feasible for me to tackle the WT? I have hiked a little bit of it inside the park and know that it’s very steep, but I trained for the canyon and thought I did pretty well considering I live at sea level with no hills at all.

I haven’t done backcountry camping there and I know the permits aren’t easy, so I’ll take any advice :)

liz
Nov 4, 2004

Omg you guys I got the early access lottery for Wonderland trail :yayclod:

liz
Nov 4, 2004

Since Altras came up, would you recommend them for the wonderland trail? I’ve never tried a pair but definitely need something for wide feet. My only concern would be the tread because I’ve relied on my keens (blisters be damned) and they’ve never let me slip.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

liz
Nov 4, 2004

I am grateful for this thread and all the advice/insights you guys gave given :) Sometimes I forget to respond but I put your suggestions in my notes app for reference.

That said, I have another question! I heard through other backpackers that there is a service that you can send your clothes to and they will treat with permethrin and send back? Has anyone done this? I know this can be done on your own, but if someone can do it better than I can then I’d rather them do it right than me miss something.