Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Dangerllama posted:

Hi. I bought a titanium double walled mug. I will never not make coffee the backcountry in one of these again.

I bought a titanium one but I guess it wasn't double walled, so it gets very hot. Still love it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Yeah it's snow peak. Good mug.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Just checked and my tent weighs 7 lbs. I need to go lower.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Casu Marzu posted:

:homebrew: :homebrew: :homebrew:

Osprey Atmos 65 and an Alps Mountaineering sleeping pad and bag. Even after my discount, I spent way more than I should have. :negative: New gear day is so much fun though.

Sleeping pads! I've had an Alps sleeping pad for the last ten years and got a lot of great use out of it.

I just upgraded to one of these that I found on sale: https://seatosummitusa.com/products/comfort-light-insulated-mat
I can't believe how light it is and how small it packs up. And you can actually lie comfortably on your side as advertised. Look how small!

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Maybe it goes without saying, but I wouldn't ever recommend paying full price for the "premium" brands. I like the fancy things though so I keep an eye on annual sales or wait until something I want is finally discounted.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

At this point I might as well buy the proprietary inflatable pillow that attaches to the air valve..

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Do they make something like a cot/stretcher that pairs could take turns carrying? I'm sure there's a term for this, but I don't know it.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

taqueso posted:

This discussion is bringing back memories of learning what a tumpline is from old backpacking books

brb upgrading to an Osprey Tumpline 65l

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

the n+1 rule for tent sizing

This is something I've been thinking about recently. I've only ever had a 3-person tent, and it's cramped with two people + a dog, but I have done three people without trouble before. I was thinking of downsizing to an UL 2-person, but I'm wondering if it'll be more cramped than I'd like. Normally I'd check them out in the store, but I'm avoiding stores right now for obvious reasons.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I need a better lantern and wouldn't mind spending a bit of money. Any recommendations?

My current one is probably the most annoying thing in my kit and uses D cells of all things. It's like a brick. I want something that packs up small, weighs little, maybe doesn't use batteries at all, and doesn't sacrifice light too much.

Maybe something like this would be fine idk: https://www.rei.com/rei-garage/product/157561/ultimate-survival-technologies-spright-recharge-lantern

Fitzy Fitz fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Aug 23, 2020

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I hate buying shoes without trying them on. I wear Moabs and they fit my large feet well. I have a pair of Salomon boots that fit my toes well but slip on my heel. But that's just my feet.

Moabs are bulky shoes. The Ultras look less bulky?

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Yeah I love my Moabs for all the rocky trails here, and I haven't really worn my nice boots since getting them. The only times I would prefer something else is overly wet conditions and high summer when I would prefer more airflow / less insulation.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Slimy Hog posted:

I ended up using Amazon's prime wardrobe to order a bunch of hiking boots and try them on before buying, worked pretty well for me.

Last time I did this I got three or four pairs of boots and had to return them all at the UPS store during the Christmas rush, and I kind of just hated the experience all around. It does work though.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

The REI sale's got me thinking about getting an Osprey Exos 58, but it looks like their sale price is the same as everyone else's right now. Anyone use one of these?

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Yeah I picked out a Luci one yesterday. I'm excited about the space/weight I'm gonna save with this thing.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Pack of Leaves

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I guess this would be a good time for me to get used to using my Whisperlite.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I checked the local outdoors store today and they seemed to have the regular amount of canisters for regular prices.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Yeah I'm 5'11" and find that I'm right at the medium/large cutoff for so many things.

For the sleeping pad issue you might try resting your feet on your pack?

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

otoh I just got a new Nemo bag and I think I love it. It's violin shaped, which gives you extra knee room and lets you sleep on your side without rotating the bag itself. It's extremely comfortable.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Verman posted:

Salomon Quest 4D GTX

These are great boots, with the usual boot caveats. I think I'm going to go with Salomon for my next shoe buy because they're very well made.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Pennywise the Frown posted:

I just got one of these a few months ago and used it this summer. It's the Nemo Disco 15. Somehow it got down to the 40s during the night and I was super comfortable. I'm a side/stomach sleeper and when I had my last sleep study done they said I "sleep violently" lol. I kick and toss and turn in my sleep so hearing about "spoon" shaped bags made me super excited. It was excellent. My most comfortable sleep ever while camping (in a sleeping bag).

Although I went all out last time since I was taking my nephew car camping. I've never been backpacking despite owning a bunch of backpacking gear. I don't know anyone else who ever camps or especially backpacks so I'd have to do it alone and I don't know where to start finding out where or how I can backpack. I usually use an old REI Half Dome 2 (I think) and a foam/air thermarest pad that died last year. This last time I bought a Coleman 4 person tent, one of those big inflatable air mattresses with a motor in it that you keep for guests sleeping at your house, and brought my pillow from home. I also got an electric site and brought my CPAP lol. It was so good.

I want to try camping this fall/winter but I've never done it before and absolutely hate the cold but I only went camping once this year and I need more. I'm going to have to learn how to do it. It'll be alone of course so I'll have to find a way to occupy myself besides just hiking since it's not like I can go kayaking and biking would kind of suck with the cold wind.

Yeah, I got the Disco! I'd never bought any of Nemo's stuff before, but I'm really impressed with the construction quality compared to my old Marmot bag. No more 15-degree nights in a 40-degree bag.

You should give solo camping a try if you're at all interested. Once I've met my needs (shelter, food, water), I enjoy just taking in my surroundings and reflecting. It feels like a reward after the hard work of planning, driving, hiking, and setting up camp. If you need ideas for places, I usually use a mix of AllTrails, freecampsites.net, and the Cycle Map layer on OpenStreetMap.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I've been trying to find a good outdoorsy webbing belt for a while and have gone through several mediocre ones, but I just got a Grip6 and am very happy with it. Well built, light, durable material, easy to put on, and looks nice imo

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I went to the Atlanta garage sale once, didn't even wait in line or get there early, and made out with some of the best deals I've ever seen. Stuff like brand new Salomon Quests for ~$100.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I didn't realize how lucky I was to live in the appalachians until I moved away. Maybe I'll be able to move back one day.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Pham Nuwen posted:

Second, I'm wondering if anyone can recommend a walking-oriented (not necessarily hiking) boot that's comfortable and looks decent enough that I could wear it out to dinner without attracting too many sideways glances. I've got a cheap pair of Chelsea boots that look good but aren't particularly durable. I'd like to find something that could stand up to a full day of walking around the city without looking like I've just stumbled off the PCT.

Same, but for wide feet, especially in the toe box.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Ugh I really need to ditch my old pump filter

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I will probably buy one too if it's legit

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Yeah I love my Luci. My main concern was that it wouldn't hold a charge well if it only relied in solar, but it held battery & recharged well over a two-week trip. I don't even inflate it half the time.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

FogHelmut posted:

Dumb question - do you just leave you car parked for days at the trailhead while you wander off into the wilderness?

Do not, I repeat, do not leave food in your car when you do this. You will get car mice.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

You could starting by figuring out your ideal volume (probably 50-75 liters; it sounds like you'd want >60l) and decide whether you like the Osprey and REI pack at that size:

https://www.rei.com/c/backpacking-p...ender%3AMen%27s

There are a lot of other brands, but I feel like those have the widest appeal for people who aren't into the smaller details.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I have four Osprey packs and am pretty happy with all of them. My Exos 58 is great.

I do want to try other brands though just to see what I'm missing.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Agreed 100%. It just looks like a mummy bag with the hood on the side and a curved leg area. The Nemo Disco has an enlarged leg area so you can thrash around freely.

One other thing I like about the Disco is that I can sit up without contorting my legs.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

My dividend was over $100 😬

I need a new 3-person tent, but I rarely see good ones on sale.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

wool sock gang

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I also take them on day hikes but prefer nalgenes for backpacking. I need that interior space for my stuff, and it's easier to refill the nalgene with my water purifier. Never had any leaking issues.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Anyone have any essentials they take on a day hike? I understand like..... shoes and a phone is all you really need. But I like having stuff. I even bring a GPS so I can "ugh" about how much more trail I have left until I finish.

Ziplock bags and picaridin wipes. They weigh nothing and have saved me on many occasions.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I inevitably spill water all over myself every time I drink from a nalgene. It's probably not the ideal bottle for me, but it's what I have.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Trying to decide between two 3p tents if anyone has any thoughts:

Big Agnes Copper Spur HV UL3: https://www.rei.com/product/164194/big-agnes-copper-spur-hv-ul3-tent

NEMO Dagger 3: https://www.rei.com/product/144623/nemo-dagger-3-tent

Looking to drop my tent weight significantly from the 7lb 3p I use now. It's mostly for me, wife, and dog. Will be used mostly in the Southeast in cool weather. I'd probably be happy with either of these tbh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Freaquency posted:

I have the Copper Spur and really like it. We got a dog so we replaced our 2p MSR with it and it fits two of us and the pup very comfortably.

See I was thinking this would be my no-dog tent. I haven't used a tent this thin before so I was worried the dog's nails might puncture it.