Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

ASSTASTIC posted:

One piece of equipment that always goes into every single med kit I have is a roll of athletic tape. Get GOOD tape (johnson&johnson). If you get a nice gash out on the trail and have bullshit tape in your kit, it won't stick to poo poo if you sweat. I was hiking one time and hit a section of jagged rocks. Tripped on one of the rocks and got a nice gas on my shin. Wasn't horrible enough that I needed stitches, but wasn't fun either. No way a bandaid would be able to close up the wound, but I did have a roll of tape.

Made a makeshift absorbent pad (with the tape) and taped up my shin. Only issue I had after that was the lack of hair from removing the tape afterwards. Athletic tape is great because it not only sticks well to skin, and sweaty skin, but to itself extremely well.

I got turned on to that stuff years ago and it's pretty much replaced Band-Aids for me. And yeah, if you can't stand to use alcohol to loosen it first, you gonna get baby-butt smooth legs once you get that tape off.

I was actually shopping for first aid supplies the other day and came across what appears to be a consumer version of Quick clot. I was in a hurry and didn't really read the package, but it seem to be like single use tubes, but they were pretty large, like the size of those singleserving ice tea powders. Has anyone else seen this stuff?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

ASSTASTIC posted:

You can get quicklot at REI and I highly recommend people put one into their med kits. Usually served to help gunshot wounds, this could be really life saving on a trail if someone gets seriously hurt.

I got to try to make time to go back to the place I saw the stuff and pick some up. It didn't really look like it was for trauma medicine, but just another iteration on liquid Band-Aids.

CopperHound posted:

I always scoffed at alcohol stoves, but today I had some denatured alcohol, aluminum cans, and time:

I still need to try it out in breezy or rainy conditions, but I think I'm a convert.

What finally killed my enthusiasm for small alcohol stove was in fact, breezy and rainy conditions. I tried dozens of different combinations of stoves,pot supports, and wind screens, nothing I worked was ever as efficient and dependable as a little pocket rocket stove. Other issue was that the ones that work the best tend to require a much wider pot than I would ever carry for the solo trips I usually go on.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Escape Addict posted:

the exofficio boxer brief

They are amazing and last forever. I have had like 8-9 pairs in rotation for like 4-5 years now with no real wear or loosening.

Also I maintain that Gold Bond is better then body glide.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
The inside of my pants is always a humid area friend.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
The best stove-cans I found were those aluminum bottles that Bud Light comes in sometimes. It's harder to cut but very easy to work with otherwise as it is nice and stiff. The big tallboy cans of coconut water they sell at hispanic grocery stores work well too.

The idea of there being places where it is possible to even make a dent in the available deadfall is crazy to me. I guess most of the mid Atlantic has not been allowed to burn for decades and decades now, but most older wooded spots are like an obstacle course of downed trees and branches.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

best dog pack? basset hound

Haha, no way. Like, I wanna see it, but the idea of taking a basset on a hike is so silly and cute I just don't know what to think.

Also, come on, the little guys have all that extra skin to lug around, carry the water for them you monster.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

Check the best thread in PI, the hound thread, to see that he's a lean mean chaos engine. I'm hoping having 6-8 lbs on him, preferably in the shoulders, will get him to stop pulling for half the day.

There is a hound thread?

We are on our third bloodhound, it's amazing to me anyone else can stand these awful animals.

Just takin a bath, getting creeped on by a hound.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
I find places to hike by slowly panning around Google maps looking for parkland.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Leper Residue posted:

Try looking at stuff construction and like roadworkers wear. I got a caterpillar winter coat that's waterproof and windproof that I love and wear when doing winter day hikes. Caterpillar and Carhartt are good brands.

Like roadworkers have to stand outside in the cold rain all day they know what is up.

Raingear design for fisherman is also generally on the warm side of things, again due to being outside in the rain all day. I bought this amazing looking pair of rain bibs that I guess must be great if you're standing on top of the bass boat getting rained on for 10 hours, but have so far proven to be too hot for any remotely active pursuit.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I have always just lifted a tick off with either my fingernails or my fishing pliers and they always are alive and squirming. I am actually very rarely find a tick that it is latched on, even an hour or so after a hike I'll feel them crawling on me and grab them.

I do think I have some kind of allergic reaction to tick bites, as every time I have found one latched on I get an angry red bump for a day or two. The two times I have gotten swarmed by nymph ticks and ended up with hundreds of angry red welts on my feet have had me wishing for some kind of at-home medically induced coma kit.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
Oddly enough my serial killer listserv has guys posting the same thing!

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
I used to have a light guayabera made of linen and it was far cooler then a cotton tshirt, at least for drinking outside in the sun.

But poly is still better for getting redwine stains out :(

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
They are, unless you have one with a little retractable knife tip, like a sword cane for the outdoor nerd.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
Other than weight, why should I not use my packraft as a sleeping pad?

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

OSU_Matthew posted:

That's a really clever idea! Let us know how you like it... would it be lumpy and oddly misshapen with random hard plastic knobs, or does it cover you pretty well?

I don't really know, when I finally dragged them out to try inflating I layed on it for a second and was pretty comfortable. It was weeks later when I thought about using it as a pad. Was thinking about trip planning for the summer and musing about how to cut bulk from my pack and the idea came to me. I don't currently even own a tent and I am sure it will not fit in my hammock. I will pump it up again and try to take a nap.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Suspect Bucket posted:

Does anyone have swamp camping advice? The trick is outfitting for hot, wet, HUMID conditions. A hundred degrees ain't nothing when it's breezy and dry and evaporation is a thing that happens, but 90°/90℅ is miserable. And that will be in October sometimes. Does anyone have suggestions for surviving a florida expidition without getting malaria (besides 'go in winter')?

Bring a small package of baby wipes for your rear end and genitals. Bring a big bottle of gold bond powder for the same.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
The knives are decent but the sheaths are hot garbage.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
I thought Steripens were more for like "I don't trust this tap water" and less for like outdoors stuff?

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
My issue with the sheath is that it relies upon friction of a little plastic nubbin to retain the knife and it wears down very very quickly. I had mine on my day pack and after maybe one year of very occasional use the sheath will no longer retain the knife except via gravity.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
I have both a pair of leather backpacking boots and a pair of trailrunners and they both really suck in different ways. I am back to wanting waterproof synthetic hiking boots for most of my time outside.

I am going try an experiment and use the trail runners all summer and just try not to give a gently caress if my feet are wet all the time. I only really hike around water and the constant worry about wet feet is really harshing my mellow. I always carry spare socks as like a general life thing, so having two spare pairs on me for a day hike is no issue.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Tsyni posted:

If you shove some of your gear up your rear end it's technically not pack weight. Good way to shed some ounces.

Bro, I think we already talked about how to carry weed with you while hiking.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Master Stur posted:

This feels like a dumb question but what do y'all wear for day hikes w/ some light scrambling in the god forsaken 90+ temps? Shorts+long socks? Pants? Fancy skin tight leggings for mobility? I live in lyme disease country and need to get some new gear because it's been a long time since I lived anywhere close to spots for day hiking.

I wear the shortest shorts I could find for sale, and either boots or trail runners depending on where I am going. If I know I'm going to be hiking through high grass I wear long socks pulled up, otherwise, and especially with the trail runners, I just wear a little ankle high lightweight ones.

I use a picardian based spray and treat my booty shorts with permethrin. I live in central Maryland so I am also in the thick of Lyme disease country. I have accepted it as an inevitability at this point and just plan on starting to get myself tested every six months.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
I want to get some cheap-ish trekking poles to use for water crossings and general wading use. I want them to be sturdy and with ambidextrous grips. I don't care too too much about weight as I will only be carrying a single one most of the time, but would like something that is easy to expand/collapse as I am usually going to be carrying a fishing rod in my other hand. Can anyone recommend something?

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Verman posted:

Get Costco poles. They sell a pair by cascade designs for $30 that are carbon fiber with cork grips, carbide tips and have interchangeable baskets. On Amazon they are $40.

You can't find a better deal on decent poles. I've had my pair for a few years and they are still 100%. Get the lever lock versus the twist.

Amazon has the aluminum version for $20
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01L2HYPNW/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_Lf6DzbPYRR1CR

Or the carbon for $40
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00XM0YGW8/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_lh6DzbKZ6XVM9

$20 is hard to beat, thanks!

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

armorer posted:

Re: fire starting - I used to carry all that stuff. Now I just carry several (3 or so) bog standard Bic lighters, typically in the small snack bag ziplocks, tucked into various pockets in things.

yea, I have the tiny size bic lighters stashed all over the place. Even if they get fully submerged they will dry quickly and still function. I also have like a half dozen esbit tabs double bagged in little weed baggies and stuffed in an small tin. A half of one stuck in a split small stick works great as a huge match to get a fire lit.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

OSU_Matthew posted:

That's awesome! Having done some volunteer trail maintenance in the past, I can't tell you how much I really appreciate the backbreaking labor you guys put into building and maintaining everything. It's incredible the amount of work and design that go into something that if done properly, nobody will ever know anything was done at all.

Gear related question, but I'm looking for a new puffy mid layer kind of jacket for the shoulder seasons. I currently own a wiggys sweater, which is great, but I just want to try something a bit lighter and more compact. Any recommendations? Synthetic would be my preference over down, but I'm not opposed to down if there's a clear hivemind preference.

I have an Arcteryx Atom LT and it might be the best piece of clothing I own. It is light, has a trim cut but still allows normal layering, and has maybe the best hood I have ever used. I like it enough that it has become my every day winter coat as it doesn't look obnoxiously outdoorsy. I think I am going to pick up the vest version this winter for actual hiking.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

CopperHound posted:

Is there a goonsensus on hats that I won't ruin by cramming into a stuff sack? I have a narrow brim fishing hat but it doesn't keep the sun off my nose and neck. Have any thoughts on a wide brim vs ballcap+neck drape style?

I already wear socks with sandals, so I don't need to worry about looking any more stupid, but I would prefer no cammo print.

I bought a hooded UV shirt for fishing but also wear it when hiking on sunny days. It is way cooler then I thought it would be and the hood on mine (Cabela's Guidewear) is deep enough that when I am wearing a ball cap the hood will tent over my face.

Not a great pic, but here it is;

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Leperflesh posted:

I dunno about a goonsensus, but Sun Day Afternoons have a line of brimmed hats with a built-in crease in the center of the bill, which allows them to fold in half without ruining the bill. We've packed them into stuff sacks etc. without damage.

https://www.sundayafternoons.com/

I like a wide brim hat but it tends to bang up against my tall backpacking pack. A billed hat with neck drape does not, but definitely looks dorkier.

Here's one of their folding-bill hats:

For folding hats I like the Outdoor Research Radar Cap, but it has a pretty short bill. They are amazing hats and if you check around you can find them for like $20. I have two of them, one to keep in my fishing bag and one to keep in my good raincoat. I can't stand hoods without a cap to prop the hood up so folding hats are my jam.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
What is like the worst thing that drinking untreated water is going to do to you, assuming we are talking about the US? Like just shiting for a week or like are there actual serious risks? My main fear is some kind of awful mine runoff, but I don't think most filters will do much for that.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Leperflesh posted:

Giardia is probably the highest risk but it takes like a week before symptoms show up so it's only likely to threaten a long-distance hiker with being stuck somewhere in the wilderness with diarrhea. But unfiltered water can also gift you with cryptosporidium, E. coli, campylobacter, salmonella, shigella, or various viruses like norwalk virus. E coli in particular can cause diarrhea within hours.

I was mostly wondering if it was all poop-bugs or of there was worst stuff out there.

I wanna start doing some longer/backcountry trips, but the places I am looking are all old/current coal country, thus the fear of chemical-bad water.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Dr Ozziemandius posted:

I usually use the just the pad, but my hammock is a Hennessy with an undercover, basically just a windbreaker layer that you can put an insulating pad in. That's where I stick the Klymit pad. If it's really cold, I'll take the SuperShelter pad and put a Mylar sheet between the layers; I've slept comfy in that down to below freezing, with an overcover over the net. I sleep with a Thermarest down blanket thing usually.

I really wish I had bought the double bottomed Hennessy. Trying to keep the pad stable in the hammock with me never works for long as I toss around a lot. I guess I could sell my current one, but I suspect used camping gear don't hold much value.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

blue squares posted:

I got a new tent (http://www.nemoequipment.com/product/?p=Hornet%202P) and the stakes dont have any loops at the top or anything, just a little red rope knotted on it. It seems very easy for the lines to slip right off the top. How can I make sure that my tent will stay attached?

Angle the stakes? I have never use the little loops for anything other than pulling the stakes out in the morning.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

blue squares posted:

Oh you mean angle it like: \ [TENT] /

So that to slip off they would have to move against the tightness. Duh. I didn't think of that! My old tent had nice loops on the stakes so nothing could get off

Your stake surely must have some kind of a notch or textured area on the shaft to help keep the guyline from slipping, right?

Otherwise I think you feel for the old stake/stick scam, it's one of the classics.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Suspect Bucket posted:

FYI, Gander Mountain is going out of business, almost everything is 70-80% off now. They have lots of gear like day packs, sleeping bags, and fishing stuff. I just brought home a massive haul of fishing crap as well as a camping cook set, compass, folding shovel, and other stuff I can't quite recall as I was just shoving things into my basket.

Man, I was on a little road trip two weeks ago and we stopped at three different Gander Mountains but they were already picked clean.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
I find that when I wear low-cut shoes, either trail runners or my water shoes, I end up knocking my ankle into things more often, or rather notice that my ankles knocking more often than I do when I'm wearing boots. I also do a pretty good bit of bushwhacking and boots with socks pulled up mid calf save me from a lot of thorns and other scrapes.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Morbus posted:

These days I just accept that if I only eat when I am hungry I tend to run a large calorie deficit while backpacking, and that's fine since I can just eat like 6 cheeseburgers once the trip is over. My appetite tends to be really suppressed while I am hiking, so I just eat small (few bites) snacks or gel packs frequently during the day to keep my glycogen up, and then eat as large a dinner as I comfortably can at night when my appetite tends to be highest.

This is more less or where I have landed. I never really get to do trips much longer in five nights, so I'm not at all concerned about my calorie intake above what it takes to keep me from feeling hungry and passing out from low blood sugar. I do a mix of temperature stable normal foods, a few freeze dried trail meals as a treat, and then a bunch of jerky and snickers bars.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

OSU_Matthew posted:

Pit zips only work if you're a climber, because the upwards motion of your arms create a bellows effect that you don't get in hiking or biking.

Not at all, they work great just standing around with your hands on your hips watching other people work or slowly strolling over to the catering tent. They are not a perfect solution, but I would never buy a raincoat without them again.

Also rain pants are great once it dips below 60-65f. I deliberately hike in the rain all the time and love them. You get a little muggy but being able to drive home dry is pretty amazing. My only issue with them is not being able to find a pair with all the features I want.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
Are you somewhere where it's mostly wet, or are you somewhere where it's mostly dry?

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
Or just get some of those little double-sided Velcro ties for wrapping up phone cords and the like?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
I mean I've been using the little Velcro thing's on mine and they do just fine.

I do agree about thicker line being worth the small weight difference. I did all of my hammock and tarp rigging with thin rear end Amsteel and it's an enormous pain.