Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Costco currently has a GSI car camping kitchen set For $50 in a nice zip up case with cutting boards, knives, cutlery etc. I considered it but I'm rarely with that many people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

Laterite posted:

Same, although looks like my reservation window is pretty late in the early access period: Early Access Period: Mar 21, 2024 - Apr 19, 2024

Wait, you're trying to backpack the wonderland trail (assuming you mean the one in washington) in mid april? Do you have winter backpacking experience?

Most of the roads are closed in the park for the winter, except for the south side (longmire to Paradise). If you're trying to do the NE side, you would have to walk a 20 mile closed road that will likely be buried in feet of snow just to get to the Sunrise visitor center, which will also be closed.

Verman fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Mar 14, 2024

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

Bloody posted:

No, this is just the lottery for a time slot in which you can book permits for the normal season.

Oh good. I was really trying to avoid making GBS threads on someones plans but that wouldve been crazy early to try and head there.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
The largest pack I've flown with that I carried on is my Gregory savant 50l pack. It's small for the size but it holds a decent amount. It fits in most compartments without issue unless you're on a much older plane or a small regional jet. I usually try to compress it down as much as possible. In the later cases, usually only purses and briefcases fit anyway so you'll likely be gate checking a normal carry on.

Any time I've flown to go backpacking, I just check my bag and encase it in a duffel. I used to have an army duffel because they're bomb proof but also don't want to be mistaken for a military bro. I have a large REI duffel instead because they fold down smaller when not in use. Air tag it.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Personally I don't think it's an impact you have to worry about. It's the abrasion.

Backpacks have lightweight fabrics, plastic buckles, lots of straps, bungee cords ... Lots of things to get broken, rip, tear, get caught in the roller system ...

If I'm just traveling for fun, I might but care *as* much since I'm using it as a suitcase. If I'm flying to go on a hiking trip where my pack will be an integral piece of gear that NEEDS to function, you sure as poo poo know I'm at checking it packed into a duffel to protect it. Missing a strap or important buckle would suck.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Would also suggest topo designs if you have a slightly narrower foot.

Also at Costco today, I saw ladies and men's short merrel moabs.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

Hotel Kpro posted:

I have three shoes I rotate through, the Hoka Speedgoat, Brooks Cascadia, and La Sportiva Mutant. I’ll probably just cut it down to the Brooks and Hokas.

I don’t recommend filling up a closet with trail running shoes though, the girlfriend gets mad that they take up so much room

My primary trail shoe for day hikes and backpacking is the topo terraventure. Its very similar to the altra but feels a little less like a ducks foot in the toes. Its still wide but not as wide as altras. I really wish Altra made a slightly narrower version for people with narrower feet.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Altras and tops have great treads. Pretty aggressive and grippy. Lone peaks are like the top through-hike shoe fwiw

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Most of why I enjoy camping is pie iron usage.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Butter. White bread. Pie filling (blueberry/Cherry), marshmallow. Apple pie filling is also great. Basically camp empanadas. Can also do a variation on s'mores. Cinnamon rolls from a can are great. Grilled cheeses with good cheese and picked onions are mind blowing.

Butter the irons. Put bread on top and bottom. Put ingredients between bread. Clamp shut.

Take it out after a few minutes, usually right when it starts smoking. Let it cool because you will burn the gently caress out of your mouth.

Enjoy.

:wal: diabeetus

You can also do pizza pockets with mozzarella, sauce and pepperoni in a pita. Make some Indian style chicken for a samosa with some naan bread, roast some pork or beef at home and use that for savory pies. My buddy brought pie crust and it worked surprisingly well.

Ham and cheese sandwiches/paninis of any sort are easy. One time we just put a whole loving cheese burger, bun included in one. We precooked the patty. It had no business being that delicious. Crunchy exterior and juicy cheesy burger.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

Catatron Prime posted:

Reminds me of one I had in Chicago awhile back, where the center of the burger contained a delicious molten glob of cheese

Ahh a juicy lucy. Not my favorite but it's definitely a thing, usually more of a Minnesota thing if I remember correctly but available across the Midwest.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Oh man. Amazon vine paid off. I've been looking at small refillable propane canisters so I don't need to use the disposable ones.

5lb and it came with a carrying case.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

Dick Ripple posted:

What is amazon vine? Are you being sent free things to review?

Basically.

I occasionally write reviews, or I used to, and enough of them were found to be useful enough that I got an invite to the program. They have a selection of products available. There's a lot of random junk in there to sift through and the filters aren't great. It changes daily so you need to look pretty often. There are two tiers, the first is capped at products value less than $100. The next is unlimited. You have to review a certain amount of items every 6 months to stay active.

Most of the good stuff I've received has been a lot of sleeping pads, one from kelty, two Osprey backpacks, a knockoff jetboil, some backpacking pots/tea kettle very similar to the GSI stuff, 5lb propane tank, headlamps galore, ski goggles, a ski wax and tune-up kit, lots of tools and sockets. I got a few replacement parts for my 4runner and Prius. We're expecting in August so now my wife has started on the maternity stuff and some random baby things. I got an electric paddle board pump. They had a $1000 DeWalt laser level that I missed out on. Otherwise I usually just grab small useful stuff and giveaway a lot of it. I wish there was an option to minimize shipments into one so that I didn't get as many boxes.

I was skeptical of the program at first and decided to try and get to the second tier to see what else was available and if it was worth it. So far it has been but I'm not sure how long I'll do it.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

mystes posted:

Definitely take advantage of it if you can. Otoh anyone who actually listens to vine reviews is a moron.

Yeah I try to be pretty honest with mine, they get "reviewed" for approval but it's a flawed system and people definitely do the bare minimum for free stuff. I'm sure there are also people out there reviewing this poo poo five stars without using it and just selling it on Facebook marketplace. Anytime I look at reviews I always look for the most helpful reviews voted by other people. I'll read the worst reviews, read the just helpful etc. Like anything you have to read through the lines and see if the person sounds competent and knows what they were doing, and if their complaint seems valid. REI has a similar program that I just became aware of a few weeks ago.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
I brought a buddy on his first backpacking trip a few years ago and offered to let him use all my extra modern gear.

"I'm good man, my cousin is letting me borrow all his stuff."

"Ok."

He showed up with this old rear end kelty external frame pack looking like a stagecoach with all sorts of poo poo strapped to it, and a bottle of red wine. Lol.

I tried to convince him to use my spare gear as it's much lighter. "I mean what are we talking, a few pounds? I've been hitting the gym hard, I'll be good".

"Ok".

The first mile and a half is flat, winding through the woods and crosses a river. He was laughing at how pleasant it was. Then we crossed the creek. From there it gains 2k ft of nonstop switchbacks for two miles. He was miserable. We took a few breaks and the sun started going down. This was his first time in the mountains/West. We were hiking in the dark for a few hours. It took a lot longer than we expected.

We finally rolled into the first campsite around 10pm. We dropped our packs and looked at the site. He grabbed my pack out of curiosity ... "Holy poo poo, how much does yours weigh?"

"I think 30lbs fully loaded" I replied.

"32 I think for mine" my other friend responded.

"What the gently caress? Mine was 60 at the airport!"

None of his poo poo looked comfortable. The pack seemed awful and his sleeping bag was old and heavy while not being super warm. The tent leaked and the pad was just a thin rolled up foam pad.

"Well, we can kill this bottle of wine tonight and lighten the load". That might save a few ounces.

He was not enthused. We swapped packs for a few miles the next day. I had to give it back. It was awful.

That's my one and only experience with external packs.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
I love Crocs for camp shoes. I really want a less bulky version of the originals.

Just be careful of traction. They don't look too grippy but I doubt you're trying to scramble or do anything too rough in them, just be careful going down an incline. The only other thing I've seen with crocs is punctures. I've had some wood debris stab into/ through the foam. Think of like, short and sharp wood chips. In any other rubber soled shoe I wouldn't even think twice, but if it's just foam on the bottom and not rubber, it can happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
That all should be fine for car camping. For the cot, they do take up a lot of interior space so just make sure it fits. For the cot feet, see what they come installed with, if the feet look like they might destroy the tent floor, look into something like a yoga mat or those cheap interlocking foam floor tiles. You could always just duct tape the feet to make them less sharp but that might affect how it packs down.