Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
I have 2 stoves so don't listen to me about not buying gear. To be fair, one is a liquid fuel stove and the other is a canister stove so they are different and serve different purposes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

FCKGW posted:

Are there any downsides to getting a larger pack? I was looking at a Gregory Baltoro 65l but saw the 75l on clearance for half the price. I’m starting to get into backpacking again so this will be my first pack but eventually I will be planning on doing some week+ long trips in couple years. Difference in weight is only a few ounces.

If I were getting into backpacking again and needed one pack I would probably force myself into a 60-65 liter pack at the largest. My first pack was a 75L. My second was a 60. My next pack was a 50.

Over time my gear got smaller, lighter, and I brought less of it. It might take a few shakedown trips before you get into a rhythm again and know what you like and what you need. Of course it all depends on what you plan to do. Anything longer than a week and you start carrying a lot of extra food. Anything during shoulder/winter and you start needing more warm clothing/gear, maybe ice axe and crampons etc.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Drink all the water and then put the noodles in the tortilla like a ramen taco.

C'mon that didn't even take much creativity.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

bongwizzard posted:

I am looking for a men's baselayer to use as sun protection when sitting on my kayak. I want something super lightweight, cheap, and with like a 35" inseam. They are going to get a lot of rough treatment and I will wear them for hiking as well, so they are going to see some thorns. I think in the weight I want any of the fancy brands will get shredded too fast to be reasonable. I need them long as hell for ankle protection. My current pair leave a little two inch gap of exposed skin at my ankle and I am not going to wear even the thinnest socks while on the water. I tried slathering the area with sunblock last time but it didn't work out well at all. I would like to spend no more than like 50 bucks.

Look at fishing gear. Its usually long sleeved, sometimes with hoods and its meant for being outside in warm weather on the water so you shouldn't roast but you will be protected from the sun. Not sure they really make a whole lot of leggings/pants but I'm sure you can find something.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

bongwizzard posted:

Thanks! I had not thought of that and even a quick look seems to show a bunch that look long enough. I assume I do not need a padded rear end but the idea of a little sewn-in butt pillow seems appealing.

This is a bad idea.

Tights, yes. Cycling tights no. The chamois (padded but cushion) will get wet and despite its best effort to wick moisture it will act like a sponge and keep your taint soggy. It's also padded in a specific region to cushion the rear end bones on a narrow bicycle saddle which will likely not do much sitting in a kayak. You can get them without padding. Also, most cycling tights are intended for cooler weather so they might be too warm but it depends on the pair.

Maybe look into running or surfing stuff if you want skin tight sun protection. I feel like there have to be men's spf tights out there.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

bongwizzard posted:

My dreams of butt padding, shattered.

It really shockingly how hard its been to find thin tights with an extra long inseam. I’ve somewhat shift my attention to trying to find a pair of like 2 mm neoprene wading booties with a good sole. I have a pedal drive for my kayak so I need something a little substantive to protect my feet, but my current sneaker style waiding shoes are very gross feeling when wet but not submerged.

A quick amazon search pulled these up. Surfing/diving rash guard legging/tights. Most seem UPF50 with good coverage.
https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=dp_bc_7?ie=UTF8&keywords=mens%20UPF%20tights&node=10208130011

UPF mens running tights, most seem UPF50
https://www.amazon.com/TM-MUP79-WTL...mens+UPF+tights

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

yaffle posted:

Honestly the cold shoulders are from hating having my arms constrained by the bag...

I would look for a different fitting bag then if you feet constricted. Are you tall, wide or just have really broad shoulders? I only ask because I never feel constricted in my mummy bag but then again I never get claustrophobic. It may just be a matter of getting a different size bag or a model that has slightly more girth around the shoulders. Try heading into an REI or similar outdoor store if possible and get into different bags to find one that fits you better. Your sleep system is important especially if you're in conditions where you need to stay warm overnight.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Picked up some patagonia trail shorts at the REI sale because they were only $40. They have 2 zippered side pockets, one rear zippered pocket, they sit above the knee, no fly, and an internal boxer brief style liner that feels like exofficio underwear. May cut that out if it seems annoying.

Also picked up a black diamond storm headlamp. I'm skeptical of the 300 lumens, it seems about as bright as my older princeton tec remix which was only 150 but it had a traditional cone reflector that seems to concentrate the beam forward whereas the BD seems to use a plastic magnifier which doesn't seem as efficient.

Holy christ I'll be amazed if someone can make a headlamp more complicated. I'm starting to really appreciate the simplicity of my old lamp.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

wesleywillis posted:

This is probably as good a spot as any to ask:

Goretex jacket, is it ok to leave in a hot car? Its not necessarily sitting in the direct sunlight inside hot car, just sitting on the back seat.

Bad? Not bad? Ok, but not great?

I wouldn't worry so much about the heat. Most jackets suggest being tossed in the dryer to re-apply DWR coatings albeit not for very long and not very hot so they should be able to withstand being in a hot car for a while without worrying about any damage. I would only worry about the 2-2.5 layer jackets with the thin rubbery membrane against your body. They seem pretty fragile and could peel off if overheated but it would entirely depend on the jacket and temperature. Probably not a great idea if you live somewhere ruthlessly hot like florida, arizona etc where the temp in your car can bake a cake.

I would worry more about the UV rays as those will destroy a jacket much faster than a little bit of heat will. Most auto glass isn't very UV protective so leaving something in the direct sunlight will likely cause fading and breakdown of the materials and protective aspects. Nikwax has a UV protector but I have no idea if it really works at all. Easiest solution is to put it in your trunk or cover it up with something so its not getting fried in the sunlight.

If you leave it in the car once or twice, probably not a big deal but if its a daily thing you will probably notice fading.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
I went with some buddies on a quick overnight. We left work Friday night, drove up to the trailhead and camped so that we could get an early start Saturday morning and be back oh the city that evening. It cooled down to around 50 degrees which felt amazing and I slept really well.

We hiked rampart ridge via an alternate route which only ends up being about 6 miles but it's nothing but up. The nice part of the hike is that it's not very popular and there are great payoffs (views of Rainier, several lakes, peaks etc) spread throughout the entirety of the hike. There was some snow still but not much. Enough that we were able to glissade down to rampart lakes.

The area is beautiful but seemed like it was going to get crowded as the day went on. We only saw about a dozen people in the trail the whole day. We took a few wrong turns but managed to figure it out before we got to far off. Pretty buggy. A strange long white bug landed in my arm and when I went to swat it away it stung me. No idea what it was but it bothered me the rest of the day more than the mosquito bites.

All in all a great hike and I'll return to explore the lakes and ridges some more. I'll post pics when I transfer them to my phone.

Oops. Gear thread is not the hiking thread.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Battle belts are a military/tactical waist belt with Molle webbing for customization. Airsofters have adopted them as well so now you can find them cheap. Molle is a standard webbing pattern which you can buy all sorts of attachments for to customize your belt with whatever pouches you feel necessary. They usually do a pretty good job of distributing weight all around whereas a fanny pack might be front/rear loaded depending on where everything sits.

https://www.amazon.com/CONDOR-Battl...belt&th=1&psc=1

Fanny/lumbar packs are another option but you lose customization. Mountainsmith is the first company that comes to mind for traditional fanny packs if you're looking to go that route.

Verman fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Jul 24, 2018

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Are you sure? That thing looks like you have to thread your own belt through it.

For that one, yes you need your own belt. Other "battle belts" come with the belt but the whole point of molle/tactical gear nowadays is to make everything as customizable as possible. Also keep in mind that different sized people might require different sized belts or prefer one style of belt closure over the other. That was just the first/cheapest option I could find.

This one comes with the belt and seems a little smaller/lower profile while also being padded.

https://www.amazon.com/OneTigris-Pa...ttle+belt&psc=1

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

45 ACP CURES NAZIS posted:

whats a good gps? I have zero interest in paying extra for a digital map, all I want is an accurate UTM readout

I still love my garmin etrex 20. Batteries last a long time, its easy to use and always seems way more accurate/useful than trying to use my phone. Plus if I drop it I'm not worried about spending $1k to replace it. You can find all sorts of free maps online. I downloaded all of the available maps in the PNW to a micro sd card and they work perfectly with trails, landmarks, county lines, topo lines etc. I dont remember where I got them but google makes it easy to find.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

barkbell posted:

So what’s the difference between a quilt and a bag? Aren’t bags quilted?

A quilt is literally a blanket that drapes over you whereas a traditional sleeping bag is a cocoon that surrounds your entire body with insulation on all sides and usually features a zipper and a hood. You should already be using an insulated sleeping pad to keep the cold ground from getting to your body regardless if you're using a sleeping bag or a quilt. Sleeping bag insulation is effective because of its fluffy loft, but its not so effective when you're laying on it crushing the loft. The idea is that you don't "need" to have all the insulation/material underneath you since you're using an insulated pad already, and you're crushing the insulation of the bag anyway which should cut half the weight of the sleeping bag by removing the non-essential materials.

I have a hard time believing a quilt is just as warm as a sleeping bag. It seems like there would be a lot of chances of drafts and air leaking out due to it not being a closed system. I would consider a quilt for warmer trips but I am questionable about their performance when temps get down to freezing. I've never used one but I like the idea of a smaller and lighter weight system but sleep comfort is one of the few things I have a hard time gambling with. Some people like quilts, some people hate mummy bags but I would say the vast majority of people are still using mummy bags. I suppose if you want to try a quilt before buying, you could always completely unzip your sleeping bag and drape it over you to see how it goes.

Verman fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Aug 21, 2018

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
For people who went with quilts and open air shelters with no mesh screen, are bugs regularly an issue? I feel like without that bathtub barrier and mesh screen, bugs would have to be an issue at some point. I know some of the minimalist shelters like tarp tents etc can have mesh but not all do. I've cowboy camped a few times and almost always woke up with bug bites on my head/face but the thought of wearing a bug net over my head while I sleep seems unsafe. I just feel like at a certain point, weight shavings start cutting into basic comforts but I guess its up to each person to decide how much they are willing to sacrifice to lose pack weight and move quicker.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

45 ACP CURES NAZIS posted:

I was looking into suspenders earlier for this exact same reason (and got told to go to TFR :mad: ) but I was thinking about using something like this + a kinda rigid belt + a few pouches

https://www.vikingtactics.com/product-p/vtac-ss.htm

but my wife says she won't go hiking with me if I'm wearing suspenders

It probably makes sense why you were pointed towards TFR because battle belts and tactical gear is more of a gun thing than a hiking thing and the two while seemingly have a lot of crossover seem to have very little crossover in terms of gear though they can serve multiple/similar purposes. Most hiking stuff seems to lean towards weight savings and specific use where as tactical gear is durability, modularity and multi use.

Personally, I would much rather just have a decent backpack with some internal frame and a small waist belt than a battle belt and suspenders. That much weight/stuff around my waist seems like it would bother me more than carrying something on my back but thats my preference. For most of my hikes I also feel like I don't need to access very much on the fly so most of my stuff goes into my pack with the exception of my camera.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Bring lots of deet.

Mosquitos in michigan are insanely bad right now. They've had a ton of rain so the population is really high. I couldnt even stand in my parents backyard without getting mauled. I went up to manistee national forest today and it was the same if not worse even with the high winds.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
These are the actual brand/model that are sold at Costco.

https://www.amazon.com/Cascade-Moun...+trekking+poles

Cannon_Fodder posted:

That's our destination on Thursday.

I picked up some gently caress-off-strength DEET from the camping store. Hope it works well...

I just got back from Michigan. Holy gently caress I think the mosquito has become the new state bird. They are worse than I can ever recall in all my years growing up there. Everyone is talking about it and they are everywhere. Michigan got something stupid like 30 inches of rain in the last 30 days or so. I went for a quick bird hunt up in Manistee national forest and we smothered ourselves in backwoods off with deet. We called it quits after 30 minutes.

Verman fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Sep 24, 2018

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

SwissArmyDruid posted:

I cannot emphasize how much nicer side-door tents are than end-door tents, and I don't even own a side-door tent. Like, holy poo poo, can I go back in time and yell at myself for buying the one I have now?

You can't pee out of the tent from inside your sleeping bag with an end door tent.

Just saying ... if you had to.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Yeah the only bottles I carry with I use for drinking sooo .... I just make sure my boots aren't near the opening of my tent.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

khysanth posted:

Call me crazy but I just get out of my tent to go pee. Usually good time to see some stars and such as well.

Entirely depends on the temp to me.

OSU_Matthew posted:

Non hammock related, but for car camping with an air mattress, what's the lowest I can go before worrying about R value? Would something like a foam mattress pad work well to keep my underside warm into late fall?

Maybe 40 degrees? It depends on your sleeping bag and if you sleep warm or cold. It also depends on your tent, humidity and wind. The problem with a non insulated air pad is that the air inside the pad can cool down which will cool you down from underneath. Foam pads work well to keep you insulated from the ground but having a non insulated pad above it won't do much especially if its a thicker air pad.

I honestly just use my backpacking pad and sleeping bag all the time. I do a lot more backpacking than I do car camping nowadays so its hard to tell. I'm also in the pacific northwest so even in summer, it can be pretty chilly at night up in the mountains.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Some can, it's usually a feature on rectangular bags but some mummy bags will also do this, they'll usually specify if they do.

In general, I much prefer individual bags over zipping them together though especially if its cold outside.

But I get it, camping sex is in tents.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

Rolo posted:

I ended up getting in on a deal they were having at REI. After a sale they were having and a coupon an employee donated to me, I got a Passage 2 tent, Stratus sleeping pad, a Trail Pod 30 sleeping bag, two pair of hiking socks and a base layer shirt for 230 bucks.

It all fits really well in my Osprey bag so I feel pretty good to go for the time being.

That should be perfect for starting

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

Rolo posted:

I just can’t wait to add sleeping outside to the mix.

God I love sleeping outside.

I use an orange big agnes inflator sack to inflate my pad.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Darn tough and exofficio ... Once I bought my first pair of each, they became my new normal. They also last forever. Only difference with my wool socks is height. Shorter in summer, longer in winter. They seem to regulate temperature well and rarely feel wet/damp.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
My biggest thing is that if your breath puts moisture into an insulated pad, if temps get cold, you could be decreasing the performance (warmth) of your pad.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

Rolo posted:

Someone (you?) mentioned using the pump as a pillow, how decent of a pillow is it because I still need one.

Moving on to food prepping, anybody here ever camp using MRE’s?

I use an actual pillow. I use the pump sack to haul dirty clothes back. You could fill it with clothes as a pillow but the fabric is not ideal for a pillow.

As for Mre's, like others have mentioned they are heavy, bulky, have a poo poo ton of packaging, and dont taste entirely great plus they are expensive at $8-10 per meal.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

Pham Nuwen posted:

I don't know how we're gonna condemn MREs for price when a pouch of Mountain House also costs $8-9 (you can get them in bulk, but you can also get MREs in bulk).

Also, MREs average 1200 calories or so, vs 500 for a whole pouch of your average Mountain House. This is the most confounding thing about Mountain House to me, the way their dishes have less calories in them than even the "light" menus at most restaurants, in a situation where you want maximum caloric density.

You can also open the pouch and remove extraneous poo poo like the toilet paper, matches, Tabasco bottle, and the little cardboard boxes they put around some components. That'll help with the volume, if not too much with weight.

Mountain House stroganoff is pretty tasty though, and you don't have to locate a "rock or something".

I should have specified, I don't really buy mountain house or backpacker pantry meals very often anymore. They're expensive, they're hard to portion out, and I like more basic foods that are easy to eat and mix/match with other meals. I just go to a grocery store before my trip and buy regular food. It tastes 10x better and costs less plus you can really minimize the packaging before hitting the trail. Most of my food consists of easy mix soups & sides, instant rice/pastas, ramen, mashed potatoes, stuffing, tuna/chicken in a pouch, tortillas, cheese, fritos, jerky/salami, granola/oatmeal and some fresh fruit if possible. Grab a few random sauces (hot sauce, peanut sauce, soy sauce, sweet and sour) and you will greatly increase your options).

Another thing we've been doing lately is bringing ready to eat food for our first nights meal. Usually our first hike in is hard and often arriving in camp late in the day/night so meal prep is the last thing we want to focus on. Making a bowl of chili, grilling up some bratwursts, or bringing some pizza from the night before make for great show up and eat options. You dont have to worry about them going bad in the few hours you hike in. You can always freeze them so they thaw while you hike. I can't tell you how many times people have walked by our camp and been like "do I smell pizza?" Its a huge morale booster and then you don't have to worry about setting up camp and then making dinner.

My favorite dehydrated meal though is the stroganoff. I don't even really like beef stroganoff very much normally but it does make a good mountain house flavor. Sometimes we'll get chicken fajita and put it into a tortilla. Pretty much anything you can eat in a flour tortilla is big with me. I'm pretty sure I've been known to eat plain tortillas with cheese and hot sauce before.

As for MREs, I've eaten them many times in the past and I actually don't mind how they taste. They seem to significantly delay my bowel movements which might be a reason why they are often referred to as Meals Refusing to Extract.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
For certain scenarios like desert camping where you can't get additional water, MRE's probably aren't a bad route as you won't be wasting valuable water to rehydrate your food. For traditional backpacking routes in areas where water is abundant, I try to avoid carrying anything with excess water weight if I don't have to.

I do however carry a mini can of coke now for my big hiking day reward. Having a slice of pizza or chili on top of a bag of fritos with melted cheese and an ice cold coke ... that will make any amount of miles seem to melt away.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
I feel like most air pads have been significantly improved for durability to do newer materials etc. My Big Agnes insulated Q core has been running strong for the last ~5 years with zero issues. I went from a Z pad to a therma rest trail self inflating pad (which leaked air), to this and I will never look back. 3" of insulated squishiness between myself and the ground ... I sleep so soundly now.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

Pham Nuwen posted:

Well, I'd wanted to get a Trangia anyway. I'll stop in at REI or Sportsmans Warehouse and get some winter fuel canisters.

Between an alcohol stove and a canister stove with winter fuel, which would you expect to work better in cold weather and high altitude?

Liquid fuel stove 100%

**edit ... oops I misread alcohol stove and thought white gas**

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
I wear the 32 degree stuff sold at Costco. I like it quite a bit. Is long so it never feels too short and doesn't come untucked. Some day I'll probably go silk or merino but ive never had a problem with this stuff.

For camp pants I usually just wear long johns under my regular pants but a pair of thick warm fleece joggers or sweat pants probably wouldn't hurt, they just might be bulky and heavy. Probably more ideal for car camping than backpacking. I don't bring a lot of clothes backpacking and just wear my same pants the whole time so I don't bring night time pants. Usually just wearing my regular stuff or long johns.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Keep in mind what your goals are for taking photos while hiking/backpacking. I used to bring everything (Canon 5D, 3 lenses, 4 batteries, go pro etc, gorilla pod etc) with me on every trip but that eventually changed.

At first I was trying to document each trip and make a small video about it but that was back when I lived in Chicago and trips only happened once, maybe twice, per year. They were a big deal because they didn't happen often. I live in Seattle now so I get out infinitely more. Taking photos and video of all my outings would be a full time job and take some of the enjoyment out of my past time. I like hiking and I like shooting but that feeling of "now I have to get back and edit all these raw files" has lost its appeal to me. I'm a graphic designer and I shoot weddings on the side so I'm not very eager to do something that requires me to spend even more time sitting in front of a computer and increase my workload. For most day hikes I'll either bring my phone or my RX100. For backpacking trips, its usually just my rx100. Its rare that I lug my A7iii out unless there's something specific I want to shoot that I need the horsepower.

Sometimes my hikes warrant photos, other times they don't. Most of the time my editing is nothing more than a few minutes adjusting sliders, sometimes its just wifi transferring an image from my camera to my phone and editing on VSCO. Laziness. Thats mostly what it comes down to for me. Thankfully my RX100 produces really great in camera jpegs.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Brooks range is running 89% off sleeping bags/tarps/tents/clothing. GO GO GO!

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

PERPETUAL IDIOT posted:

Any recommendations for a sleeping pad? I dont know much about hiking gear but it's for a gift.

There are a ton of different sleeping pads and they vary in features and price so its hard to pinpoint exactly what they would want. I'm a side sleeper so I like thick air pads. I know other people who prefer to carry as little weight as possible so they run the minimal torso sized foam pads. Other people like self inflating and are fine with only an inch of cushion. Also, they come with various insulation ratings (much like sleeping bags) so if they plan to sleep much in colder weather, they will likely want a higher insulation rating (r value). They also come in different sizes to accommodate the sleepers height.

Personally I'm very particular about my gear. Considering I'll be out in remote places relying on said stuff for comfort and quality of sleep, I like to test it out in store and make sure it will suit my needs before having to rely on it for a week. Maybe just go with a gift card so they can pick out exactly what they want or at least keep the receipt in case they would prefer something else.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

Rolo posted:

I’m a mandatory side sleeper and would really like to hear more about the pad and pillow you use. I’d like to find something both supportive for side sleep and lightweight enough for backpacking.

I'm a side sleeper because thats that I find comfortable. I have a hard time falling asleep on my back or staying in that position. I don't snore, but I will if I'm on my back which will wake me up.

I started with a Z pad and that was horrible. I had a hard time staying asleep on it and woke up sore all the time. It lasted three trips before I got a new pad. I moved to a self inflating thermarest scout or something. It was mummy shaped and had 1-2" of padding. Even fully inflated my shoulders and hips still hit the ground. It wasn't insulated very well so I felt like it was pretty cold when the temps dropped. I also slipped off it constantly. It weighed a little more than 2lbs, and was slightly bigger than a nalgene bottle when stuffed. I used that for a few years before I upgraded. I also used to use a cheap nylon filled camp pillow I bought on a whim at a gas station on a way to a trip. I used it for years. As a side sleeper, you typically need something under your head unless you want neck cramps. Some people get away with a jacket or something else but I like having a dedicated pillow so that its not wet/stinky/dirty.

Eventually I upgraded to a full air pad (big agnes insulated q core).

https://www.rei.com/product/828412/big-agnes-insulated-q-core-pad

Its rectangular, weighs 1lb 11oz, stuffs about the size of a nalgene or smaller. It has 3.5-4 inches of padding which keeps me from ever touching the ground, even when shifting around. It has an R value of 5 which was more than any of my other pads so coupled with my 15º down bag, lower temps are much more comfortable. It has higher edges/bumpers to keep me from rolling off. I've had it for 4 years now and its still running strong. I've never been so comfortable in the backcountry. I sleep soundly throughout the night and wake up rested in the morning. If I can guarantee I'll sleep well at night, I'm much more tolerant of being wet/cold/exhausted/miserable during the day which justifies a few ounces of extra gear in my opinion. I'm in the pacific northwest so there are a lot of sharp rocks/roots/sticks/needles and I've never had a leak. My only gripe is it takes time to blow up as I use a bag pump to keep from putting humid air and bacteria from my lungs into my pad. It could also use a large opening valve for quick deflating as well but I think the newer version of this pad has those now.

For a pillow I use this now, and it works great. It has enough cushion/give that you don't feel like you're sleeping on a balloon and it packs up the size of a small jar of aspirin. Its tiny. The internal bladder is also removable so you can wash the cover. Its also nice to have a dedicated pillow because then the clothes/jacket you're using to sleep on aren't dirty/wet/muddy/stinky.

https://www.rei.com/product/142507/cocoon-sleeping-bag-hood-pillow

Seriously though, a good nights rest shouldn't be overlooked. I've introduced a lot of my friends to hiking/backpacking and one of the biggest hurdles always seems to be the sleeping element. Keeping someone warm and comfortable while sleeping goes a long way and motivates them to keep going the next day. I'll gladly sacrifice a few ounces for good sleep. I can lose weight elsewhere instead.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
It really depends on temp. I've slept on snow covered frozen ground and 20 degree air temps with just my r5 pad and 15 degree bag and it was fine. People who sleep in really cold climates usually do foam pads or a system of combined foam pad on bottom with an air pad on top.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Decided not to travel back to the Midwest this Christmas so we went out for Chinese on Christmas eve and went snow shoeing today. It was mostly sunny with temperatures around 30f. It was a perfect opportunity for my wife to use her new snow shoes. I kept it short so she didn't hate it right away. We did 4 miles, my dog probably 12. He's been asleep since.

I have to say, it's nice to not have to travel and get outside instead. The trails were surprisingly empty.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

Rolo posted:

There’s no such thing as over-compressing a sleeping bag, right? The stuff sack that came with my REI trail pod is fine for storage but compresses into an awkward short and fat blob. I got a more cylindrical 10L stuff sack to pack it in so it fits better in my bags sleeping bag compartment but it’s a serious workout to get that sucker in there and it’s hard as a rock when I get it strapped down in place.

I won’t be leaving it like that when I’m storing it between uses. I’m good, right?

Make it as small as you can but I wouldn't put your full weight into pulling straps or anything. You don't want to rip fabric or cause a seam to burst or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

yaffle posted:

Is there a trick for getting sleeping bags back into their stuff sacs? Like a better way to fold or roll them? It's easily my least favorite part of camping.

I fully unzip my bag, stuff the foot box in first, and then just keep mashing it in there until I can close the bag. I keep my down bag in a 10L sea to summit dry/stuff sack. Getting air trapped in is probably your biggest hurdle which is why I unzip everything and do the footbox first. I guess I've never really "struggled" with it though, maybe your stuff sack is just too small for your sleeping bag?