Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

Chikimiki posted:

Hey guys, I'm looking at gear & apparel for trekking in the Alps (and other mountains in the future), and I was wondering which would be better: having a down vest & rain jacket (ie Arcteryx Atom + Zeta), or just one weather resistant softshell (ie Patagonia Galvanized) ?
Trying to be as light as possible, and I wouldn't be going higher than about 3000 m. Temperature range -5°C to 25°C I would say.

Thanks in advance!

My feeling would be that if you know you'll be hiking in bad weather a lot then a warm hardcore jacket like that Patagonia might be better. If it's "mostly nice weather but may rain at times and you want to be prepared" I'd go down jacket (instead of vest) and separate rain jacket. It's more versatile and still quite light depending on what you want to get.

BraveUlysses posted:

ughhhh just broke out my 2005 REI half dome tent that's been stored (improperly) for 7-8 years and the rainfly is gross as fuuuuuuuuck :piss:

what the hell do I do to clean this poo poo or should I just replace it? it's got mildew or mood or something else like that in it and it's sticky

Get some tech wash type stuff and throw it in the washing machine (better if you have a front loader, top loader might catch the guy lines and stuff). Could do it by hand if you're iffy on the washing machine and in fact if you got a soft brush might be better for getting out the mildew etc.
Afterwards you might want to check to see if it's still waterproof/resistant

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

ugh yeah I forgot some nylon stuff starts getting sticky as it breaks down. If that's the case then you're probably SOL

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

ROFLburger posted:

Man quilts seem pretty popular but I just can't stand them. What's with their popularity? Are they just lighter than traditional bags?

generally lighter since it's less material and you rely on your sleeping pad for warmth on the bottom. More versatile for venting and stuff when it's warm. On the other hand, more likely to get drafts when it's real cold