Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Went car camping last weekend and realized the kids novelty sleeping bags don't work at all in 35 degree nights. We were mistakable and came home early.

Looking at getting new bags, should I get something geared towards kids or is an adult bag fine? Ages are 4 and 6.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Thanks foir the suggestions. We're using inflatable mattresses with blankets on the top to keep the heat in, hopefully that's good enough. We probably won't be doing too much camping in sub-50 weather, it was just a particularly cold weekend (this weekend is supposed to be 100+).

Any recommendations on Adult bags? Should I get a double bag for my wife and I or just stick with individual bags?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

FogHelmut posted:

Where are you camping at? I've been looking for some ideas.

Is there a "where are you camping at" thread?

You're in OC right? I was looking in Idlywild but most sites were full up. We ended up at Heart Bar Campground, near Big Bear. Real nice spot, had a rad meadow just behind us. Closest trails were closed due to fire though.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Idyllwild is near Mt. San Jacinto and supposed to have some of the nicer campgrounds around. The reservations spots fill up fast for weekends but if you're doing weekday camping you can get spots pretty easily it seems.
I really liked Indian Cove campground just outside of Joshua Tree too.

I'm just starting my camping life now that my kids are old enough so I don't have much advice to give, unfortunately.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Loucks posted:

That was 100% a joke post, but goons gonna goon.

I think you forgot about the Hawaii retreat goon project and just how spectacularly dumb some goons can get in the wild.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Loucks posted:

I think I missed that, but presumably it was either hilariously or tragically catastrophic depending upon whether anyone got hurt.

Goons flew to Hawaii to build a yoga studio in an inhospitable jungle. They got all their tools stolen while trying to kill a wild boar.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3151205

It’s gets eclipsed by the killer zipline but it’s my favorite thread on the forums.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Are there any downsides to getting a larger pack? I was looking at a Gregory Baltoro 65l but saw the 75l on clearance for half the price. I’m starting to get into backpacking again so this will be my first pack but eventually I will be planning on doing some week+ long trips in couple years. Difference in weight is only a few ounces.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Morbus posted:

Larger packs may be awkward if filled to substantially less than their capacity. Especially if you use external/auxiliary storage like mesh pockets or lids on an underfillled pack. It can also be hard to distribute weight throughout the pack the way you want it, or keep frequently used items near the top of the pack, if everything is just constantly shifting around and sinking to the bottom in an oversized pack. Some packs are more versatile than others in this regard. Compression straps, extension collars, can help make a larger pack comfortable over a wider range of used volume, but only to an extent. Some models are specifically designed to be convertible between a range of volumes. In my experience, narrower and taller packs tend to be more versatile than wider and shorter packs in this regard, but can also be more unwieldy when filled to their capacity...

A smaller, narrower profile pack that hugs close to the body is often preferable and more balanced if you need to do any scrambling, or even for just walking on rougher terrain like steep scree or wobbly talus fields. Larger packs can also be problematic in "close quarters" situations like slots, narrow ledges, or dense brush, either because the sides are too wide or because when you need to turn and sidestep the pack sticks too far out from your back.

People have done week+ long trips with 40L packs, and ~50-65 is very common. I do winter overnight and 2 night trips with mountaineering gear in a ~35L pack. More than anything else, the volume you require depends on the stuff you will be bringing. Some shelters pack down way smaller than others, fleece insulation is more bulky than down or synthetic, you may or may not need a bear canister, and you may or may not want to subsist on the kind of food that can be crammed into one of the smaller models for a week long trip. Have you tried packing everything into the 65L to see how it fits? Do you plan on doing any backpacking trips in winter conditions?

Thanks for your reply. I'm starting to transition from car camping to backpacking and still getting the gear I need. I've bought a new tent and sleeping pad but still have a regular two burner camp stove and kitchen set, stuff like that. I'm in SoCal and will be doing local hikes for now but want to start branching out into the Sierras eventually. Don't really plan on any Winter or snow trips, no.

I'm probably jumping the gun here looking at backpacks this early before I figure out the rest of my gear. Should I work on getting the rest of my gear where it needs to be before backpack shopping?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

sweet_jones posted:

The disposable spoons do not reach as far into mugs, tuna foil packets, and soaking containers as long-handled titanium gimmicks. Otherwise they work fine.

To the backpack question, the advice I'd add is to get something used to start. Theoretically, the backpack is the last thing to obtain - since everything else has to fit into it. Since you are just starting out, I'd get something like the examples mentioned used so you can start and see what you like and don't like. Then invest in something more long term once the rest of your gear is dialed in. And my recommendation is one of the Gossamer Gear packs.

Any recommendations on a good place to find used gear? Or just craiglist/ebay?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Ah cool, thanks.

I have a solo car camping trip coming up in three weeks, I think I'm going to start pairing down my stuff and just bring what I would normally bring on a backpacking trip. That should get me an idea of what kind of gear I really need and what I can do without. Once I have that figured out I'll see how much gear I really have I have and can start looking at packs. I liked the Osprey Exos and even the Volt, might look at some of those lighter packs too if I think I can swing it.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I found a Gregory Paragon 58 never used for less than half price and picked up the Olicamp pot/stove setup someone recommended in the thread on sale as well, thanks for the suggestions guys.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

The Klymit KSB Oversized is a 20 degree down mummy bag with a wider top portion than normal to fit wide shouldered individuals. It’s made with elastic baffles that help with claustrophobic feeling because the bag hugs you but you can still stretch out when needed.

https://www.klymit.com/ksb-20-oversized-down-sleeping-bag.html

It’s kind of a niche bag so there not a ton of official reviews out there but customer reviews are generally positive. You can find it under $200 online.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Amazon has a Osprey 25% off event right now.
https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_st_...t=featured-rank

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Anyone have experience with the REI Igneo 25 sleeping bag? 30% off right now, down to $188 seems like a good price.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

tau posted:

Late to the sleeping bag discussion, but I'm fairly broad-shouldered myself and found Sierra Designs' Backcountry Bed design to be solid for my frame. It's zipperless, so that was a nice bonus for my preferences as well.

I just picked this up last week and I can finally sleep on my stomach!

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

What do you guys do for keeping food away from critters? Bear bag or something else?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Was going to go on my first overnight backpacking trip this weekend but my campsite is currently on fire :/

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

San Gorgonio wilderness, just south of Big Bear in SoCal. Easy hike to established campground for my first overnight.

Looks like the fire isn't directly in the path of my trail or camground but everything in the area is closed. Permit got cancelled but I think I'll just try another weekend when the roads and trails open back up

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

khysanth posted:

drat sorry to hear. Which camp was your permit for? High Creek?

I think I'm going to try to get a summit overnight permit when the temps cool down a bit. Don't feel like dayhiking the whole thing. It's the last of the SoCal Six Pack of Peaks I have for the year.

Dobbs Cabin, up Momyer trail.

If it doesn't open back up soon I'm not sure if I should try for August or just wait until the Fall instead and avoid the heat.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Went on my first overnight backpacking trip and all the gear worked out great. Other than a million ants and it being pretty muggy at night it was lots of fun.

Trailhead was right next to the beach so I even took a dip after I got back to the car :)

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

REI Outlet currently has a $20 off $100+ deal going on today. This will also stack with the $20 gift card on $100+ purchases for REI members.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Not specifically designed for backpacking but any regular tool belt would probably do the trick

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-12-Pocket-Fabric-Handyman-Rig-HD793857/202311454

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Costco has the Klymit Static V2 and X-pillow on sale for $40 right now. It's the non-insulated model but you can pair it with a Z-Sol or another pad to get the R up if you're concerned about that.
https://www.costco.com/Klymit-Static-V2-Sleeping-Pad-with-X-Pillow.product.100292232.html

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Also that backpack alone weighs 12 pounds.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

The REI Essentials Rainjacket is on sale for $34 this week if you want a quick and cheap option.

https://www.rei.com/product/127550/rei-co-op-essential-rain-jacket-mens

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Pham Nuwen posted:

I got the last pair of trekking poles at Costco yesterday, they weren't even in a display they were just shoved on top of some other stuff. The checker expressed regret that there were none left. Looking forward to trying these out. Previously I've either taken a bamboo stick for one hand or just gone with nothing, but I enjoy having the stick to sorta set pace and help get down steep poo poo and can only imagine the poles will be a lot better at everything.

If you can't find them at Costco, Monoprice has the functionally identical product at the same price as well.
https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=15319

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Klymit pads are on lightning deal at Amazon today.

Insulated Static V Lite is $51 - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00UW7LEOW
Non-insulated Static V is $32 - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007RFG0NM

Only 1oz more for the insulated.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Darn Tough socks are good, I also like Smartwool because you can find them on clearance at REI for half price occasionally.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I use those same dry sacks. They're from Outdoor Products and you can find them at Walmart and other places like Target or Big 5.

Here's a good overview of them: https://sectionhiker.com/budget-dry-sacks-from-outdoor-products/

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I purchased an REI Quarter Dome 1 tent (2017) at an REI garage sale but decided I don't want it. Return reason is listed as "Used once, doesn't work for customer". I set it up in my backyard to check it out and it looks darn good, some dirt and dust on the underside and little scratches on one of the poles but otherwise looks brand new. If anyone wants to buy it I'll sell it for what I paid (around $182) + shipping.
PM me if anyone is interested.

FCKGW fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Oct 29, 2018

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

cheese eats mouse posted:

Is it a 2p or 1p? I need a tent.

It's the 1p

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

cheese eats mouse posted:

I'll take it. Do you have an email I can contact you?

Mine is [edited]

Cool, email sent

FCKGW fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Oct 29, 2018

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

khysanth posted:

Pocket Rocket 2 is great.

I recently switched to a Soto Amicus and I'm in love. The design of the burner head means you don't need a windscreen at all. It's so much more efficient than just about any other design out there. You'd need a closed system with heat transfer like the JetBoil to beat it, and for that you're paying a big weight/size penalty.

Same, I'm really digging this stove.

Campsaver has them for ~$35 w/ no tax. REI has a bundle with the stove and a small and large pot for $50 too.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

My first backpacking trip in scouts I used a bright red external frame backpack I got from a yard sale with some carpet underlayment as back padding. The belt was just nylon webbing.

I also took with me 3 Garfield books and a foldable pickaxe :downs:

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Wish I lived someplace that allowed campfires :/

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Would Joshua Tree be OK this time of year? Weather this weekend looks to be high of upper 80s and dipping down to mid 50s overnight. Would just be a short 3-4 mile out and back trip.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

FogHelmut posted:

I did a day trip to The Living Desert Zoo and Gardens in Palm Desert last weekend, it was 100 degrees and no one died. It was about 4 hours walking around there, but also we probably didn't walk much because my 2 year old son had us stopping to look at dirt every few steps.

Get your water and sun protection, should be fine.

Yeah, I'm only going for a quick overnight so I'm not too stressed.

Living Desert Zoo is great, I've been there a few times and always enjoyed it.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Costco has the Cascade Mountain carbon fiber hiking poles on sale for $29 right now if you're looking for good, low cost poles.

https://andrewskurka.com/cascade-mountain-tech-quick-lock-trekking-poles-review/

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

armorer posted:

Ahhh, of COURSE Monoprice got in the game. Thanks!

They make a pair of carbon fiber fliplock trekking poles that are pretty good too.

https://www.monoprice.com/category/pages/14

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I use the GSI Soloist and I like it. The newly revised version has ounce markers on the pot now.