Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe
How long has Adam Everett been part of the TV pregame crew?

Because I'm cool with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Given how anemic the Indians offense was, I may have cursed us :thunk:

I was way more concerned about their pitching, so in that sense we got the best possible matchup.

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe
So we're looking at Keuchel, Verlander, McCullers, Morton?

Honestly feel pretty OK about that heading in.

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe
We gotta come out of LA 1-1 to have any kind of shot I think.

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe
I'm really excited about this guys.

My marriage is probably about to be over, a bombshell my wife dropped on me last week from nowhere, and right now this playoff run is really holding me up.

Even if we lose, I'm just happy we're here.

I know that's a bit much to be sharing on our dead comedy forum, but following along and posting with my goon Astro buddies is really going to help. You're all great and our team is cool and good.

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe
Games like that are what will eventually kill me.

But yay!

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe
So who do we start at first base tonight when our loving idiot first baseman gets rightfully suspended for a game?

Marwin?

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe
If Verlander wins game 6 is he the greatest mid-season acquisition of all-time?

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe
I can't.

With all the poo poo going on in my life right now this is everything.

Everything.

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe

curried lamb of God posted:

i'm not crying i'm not crying

gently caress that, I am ABSOLUTELY crying and I don't care.

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe

Kirios posted:

Exact same here. This means way more than the Rockets.

I think this means even more than the Texans winning the Super Bowl.

It absolutely does.

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe
Can I get Bregman?

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe
So not only did the SI cover get it right, it featured the WS MVP.

That's gotta be the greatest cover of all time right?

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe
I'm still in for Bregman. Love that dude.

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe
The interesting thing about this particular World Series for me has to do with the first game I can remember going to.

I was about 6 and my uncle and dad took me to see the Astros. Their opponent that day? The Dodgers.

Now this was the first exposure to baseball that my mind can recall, and because I didn't really know how anything worked, I somehow ended up thinking that the Astros and Dodgers were the only two teams in existence. And since the Astros were the good guys, that made the Dodgers the bad guys.

I continued to have this misconception for like a year.

I thus grew up with a completely irrational hate of the Dodgers. So this series was especially surreal.

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe
Hey TheChirurgeon, just re-requesting Bregman when you get the opportunity. Thanks!

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe

Kirios posted:

AJ Hinch was robbed

Seriously, wtf?

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe
Managers in-game mean almost nothing in the big picture. You can argue playoff decisions, but in the regular season its whatever.

The real value is in the clubhouse, and the Astros really, really like A.J.

You don't gently caress with that.

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe

Kirios posted:

It's going to break my heart if I ever see Altuve not playing for the Astros.

Please pay our short baseball God.

Altuve better be the next Biggio. I.E. he never puts on a different uniform.

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe
I think we'll give him one big contract for 4-5 years, ride his prime (ensuring his potential HoF entry is as an Astro) and then let someone else overpay for his mid-to-late 30s.

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe

TheChirurgeon posted:

Yes you can! DONE!

e: OK, as far as I can tell that wraps up the legit requests, or the ones that are coherent. Thus begins ROUND 2!

Sab0921, you've got first pick, though iirc you wanted Reddick as Flair, right? Please confirm.

After that, I'll take another few requests. Players only though (sorry, candide--no gloves or hills)

Oh man this owns.

I'll be sorry to see my Charge of the Yates Brigade go, but its time.

ComposerGuy fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Nov 30, 2017

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe
The Yankees don't scare me.

gently caress 'em.

....well that's my take, thanks.

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe

No Safe Word posted:

They still probably only barely crack the top 3 of the "gently caress the..." ranks though.

Who is ahead of them? The Rangers and...

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe

Kirios posted:

Like...holy poo poo, how did they get away with this?

I mean, for starters, it's the Pirates.

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe
It's a testament to how loving cold the hot stove has been of late that this trade is still being talked about everywhere.

Honestly the most astonishing thing about everything from last season to now is how the Astros are an actual topic of conversation in the baseball world as something other than "oh and those guys exist, yeah".

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe

spaced ninja posted:

I’m ok with Texans going winless next year if it means the Astros can avoid the injury bug this year.

I'm OK with the Texans cratering for the next decade for that, frankly.

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe
It's actually more than what Springer was asking for in arbitration (10 Million), and considering he's under club control for 3 more years I don't think he made out too badly.

Come 2020 it'll be time to get paid though.

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe

Kirios posted:

If you had to lose one (Because we very likely will):

Altuve
Correa
Springer
Keuchel
Bregman

Who do you let walk in order to pay the other four (Assuming someone like Gonzalez is long gone)?

Keuchel and then Bregman if it came down to it.

Altuve's eventual contract is going to be massive. Like, possibly best paid player in baseball massive. Correa and Springer won't command as much, but I suspect we're still looking at somewhere in the teens in terms of millions per year for both.

If I'm being totally honest, I suspect Bregman stays, because he won't cost quite as much, and Springer will go in free agency. Altuve and Correa are the core. You can't let them walk. But that's three years away, thankfully.

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe
Astro buddies, my grandmother passed this morning at the age of 81 due to complications from a pulmonary embolism.

I am sad, but she also got to see the Astros finally win the world series, one of the few things on her bucket list (others she accomplished: Meet Guns 'n Roses, Prince and Elton John, and get a back tattoo).

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe

Intruder posted:

Sorry to hear that dude

What was her back tattoo

A dark red rose with thorns.

Which I always thought was pretty rad tbh. She got it when she turned 70.

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe
This start from Verlander makes me feel real good,

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe
Astro buddies, my life is so much better now than it was around playoff time last year.

With my divorce behind me, and a new girlfriend who is just as big an Astros fanatic as I am (my ex-wife was not a sports fan at all), we've committed to watching every possible game together. Can't wait to ride the season out with you guys.

BTW, those of you who know my grandmother passed, here's a photo of her "rocker jacket", which has patches on it from every band she ever saw live (she didn't cheat and just get a patch, she got them AT the concerts):

It is the mascot of the 2018 Astros Watching Season for me.

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe
She was still going to concerts as late as her mid-70s. She started developing health problems in her late 70s which kept her from going, but she was doing it right up until then.

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe
I thought I was being real clever by getting NordVPN and the MLB.tv package.

Nope. Can't access mlb.com on my PC when the vpn is turned on and can't figure out what to do, so that's a lot of money out the window for nothing.

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe

TheChirurgeon posted:

True. But I hate the Rangers a lot

The ship has been righted.

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe

Kirios posted:

Gerrit Cole is filthy. How did we get him for pennies on the dollar?

Pirates.

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe
This just in: gently caress the Rangers

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe
A question my brother, dad and I discussed a bit during the holiday game yesterday: Let's say Verlander keeps being really good and eventually gets voted into the HoF. If the Astros win a second WS while he's on the roster, does he go in as a Tiger or an Astro?

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe
Goddamn McCann is tearing it up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe

Kirios posted:

I don't see how the Astros don't win the AL West this year.

NO STOP DON'T

• Locked thread