Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Intruder posted:

I know you're mad at Martes but his stuff is legit and he's still very young

Martes isn't ready to start yet, but he's been okay in short pen outings. I'd prefer to keep him around.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Intruder posted:

Very low but IIRC it doesn't matter because they went back to alternating AL/NL homefield

The only teams the Astros need to really worry about are the Indians and Red Sox

An Astros/Indians ALCS terrifies me because we will almost certainly lose

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Intruder posted:

Me watching the game yesterday while down 3-2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jF56zOFYjvw

I took a nap after Boston took the lead and woke up to the sound of Bregman's bat crack.

*wakes up*
"Oh. Neat!"

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Intruder posted:

I posted that wrong, that should have been "The Astros speaking to me while down 3-2" not "me while they were down 3-2" because I was already in full "Dreading game 5" mode

Yeah but sometimes they recite that quote and then bobble a 3-run dinger into the stands

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Given how anemic the Indians offense was, I may have cursed us :thunk:

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I just hope they actually put McHugh on the roster this series

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

MrMidnight posted:

I read Martes name kicked around. McHugh deserves to be there far more than him.

I like Martes but in absolutely no way is he ready for a spot on a playoff roster

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I'm fine with that, he's an upgrade over the existing bullpen and McCullers.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Looks like we're sticking with the Keuchel-Verlander 1-2 punch for the WS. Can't help but feel optimistic about at least one of those games.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Grittybeard posted:

Regular rest isn't it? Thursday > Tuesday is 4 days off.

He pitched Wednesday, so it's actually an extra day's rest. Verlander will pitch on normal rest.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Remember when certain folks were hesitant to make that trade?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Kirios posted:

It's still surreal to me.

We... aren't getting swept?

We might even win two games :kingsley:

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Kirios posted:

Not at all down. Still feeling great about it.

I'm with Intruder, it dimishes the win. Yuli kickstarted the rally that ultimately decided the game, and he apparently celebrated by engaging in bullshit schoolyard racism. And not only was his racist gesture caught on tape, it was nationally broadcast during one of baseball's biggest games of the year.

When he wears the Astros uniform he's a representative of the team and the city, and right now his racist gesture is bigger news than our 2-1 series lead. That loving sucks and it's all on him.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Intruder posted:

I have no idea what has happened to Reddick. He was so good this year

And he hit the game tying hit off of Kimbrel

I genuinely don't understand why we aren't using Fisher or Maybin in his place. It's not as if Reddick is some defensive wizard and there's literally no way the others could do worse offensively.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I'll take McCann if no one else has. Otherwise, gimme Brad Peacock.

I also feel like I don't deserve to take your money after being such a turd yesterday, so you pick the av and I'll pay for it, or you pick your own av and I'll pay for that one.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

TheChirurgeon posted:

Keep the requests coming! I'll get the first one done tonight after I put my son to bed.

No worries, I wasn't going to pay for them anyways, just draw them. Also, I was definitely a bit too sanctimonious about the fandom and deserved at least some of the poo poo tossed my way in game 6. My schtick only looks good now because we won :)

I was totally right about game 5 though and I honestly considered buying you an avatar of the Astros celebrating last night with "MENTALLY DEFEATED" written underneath it but then I was too happy to care

Baseball is loving great

MENTALLY DEFEATED is absolutely going to be the title under my av

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
My heart wants championship gear but my brain says to order it and wait

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

MrMidnight posted:

My wife wants a jersey of his now.

I'm very tempted to do a custom McGattis jersey in honor of both my beefy lads

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Keep Maybin IMO. We'll probably keep Gregerson as well.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Intruder posted:

Gregerson wouldn't be bad to have at maybe half the salary and as a 7th inning guy or something

Biggest needs: DH (again), left handed relief pitching, and..... lol I can't think of any other needs. Maybe a closer and make Giles the setup guy?

Verlander/Keuchel/McCullers as the top three for an entire season is making me weak in the knees

I think lefty relief should be top priority, followed by a part-time DH. Gattis can DH when he's not catching. I'd keep Giles as a closer unless you find someone else, then yeah, make him a setup guy.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

TheChirurgeon posted:

Yeah of that list, only Gregerson and Maybin are real keep discussions, and even then only at the right price. Good place to be!

I wouldn't mind it if the Astros looked to add another starting pitcher, either. Keuchel/McCullers weren't particularly trustworthy this postseason.

Wouldn't hurt my feelings any and then you could keep using Peacock or McHugh as long relief. I really think if the 2018 season began tomorrow, the rotation would be Keuchel/Verlander/McCullers/Morton/Peacock. That's a drat good place to be, and maybe you shop around for another #4 or #5 starter at a moderate price.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

MrMidnight posted:

While it sucks about Watson, I really don't care. Texans wasn't going to do anything this year with that atrocious defense.

:same:

I'm already having baseball withdrawals.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Verisimillipede posted:

Why the gently caress is the parade at 2 PM when everyone is at work?

Friday is an unofficial holiday, every downtown office is going to be a ghost town

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

TheChirurgeon posted:

DONE!

My goal is one per night, give or take, so think of that as the target wait time.

:perfect:

I can't wait to see all of these lined up in a GDT

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Kirios posted:

I bought the Chron newspaper of them winning. Gonna frame that forever

I can't even find one anywhere. I went to ten different gas stations and book shops.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Sab0921 posted:

Did the old school thing of being a daily subscriber to the Chronicle. Was delivered to my doorstep.

Wondering what I should include in a frame.

I went to 5 playoff games, have 3 towels and 2 clappers (I think I lost some of the ticket stubs). I have the ALDS, ALCS and World Series newspaper headlines. I have this Houston Strong shirt that went 11-1 in the playoffs. gently caress THIS TEAM AND THISPLAYOFF RUN WAS AWESOME.

I took Kirios' lead and ordered the heavy stock versions off the Chron website. I think I'll frame those with the rally towel and maybe my tickets? I wish I had real stub style tickets instead of these printouts.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Hahahaha oh my god these own so hard. I hope my McCann av involves food and/or running

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Intruder posted:

Back in the dome days you could line up outside of the player entrance and a bunch of them would stop and sign autographs. Bagwell didn't sign many but Biggio signed for everyone

I did this a few times when I was maybe 5 or 6. Jose Cruz signed a hat for me and Luis Gonzalez gave me a bat. I was there when they clinched at the last Dome game and Biggio rode his harley around the field.

My favorite memory doesn't really involve me directly. They used to do that kids baseball clinic thing and I got to go in '98. A month or two before that, we were at a game and my sister (just barely 4 at the time) was hit by a Jose Lima foul ball (indirectly, luckily, it had bounced off a seat near us). Well, my sister went with me to this clinic and Lima happened to be there. When she saw him, she took off running, went over to him, tugged on his pants, and said "You hit me with a foul ball!" and pointed at her arm. Without missing a beat, Lima scooped her up and hugged her, apologized, and signed a ball for her. Somewhere in my folks old photos is a polaroid of Lima and my sister mugging for the camera.

Jose Lima owned :unsmith:

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Yeah, I'm not sure it makes sense for us to pick up that contract when we're almost bursting at the seams with capable OFs.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Intruder posted:

Maybe if he were cheap. He could platoon with Gattis to give a lefty/righty option, but it couldn't be too expensive or too many years

Supposedly he's asking for $80-90 mil on a 5 year contract

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
It's still kind of insane that to me that we got through the entire postseason without using 90% of our regular season bullpen. And when they did throw, they tended to be mediocre or poor.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Ambivalent about that. Hinch isn't the greatest manager, but something is clearly working and the guys like him. I guess keep paying the man until he craters or you find someone better. :shrug:

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Kirios posted:

Why do you say Hinch isn't that great? Everything this year showed me that he's actually a pretty fantastic manager...top 5 in baseball even.

I don't think he has a handle on the bullpen and he tends to be overconfident in using those arms when they're clearly broken.

Again, I'm not saying he isn't great. Just not the greatest, and maybe not a guy you want to lock down to a 5+ year deal.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

ComposerGuy posted:

Altuve better be the next Biggio. I.E. he never puts on a different uniform.

Given how rare this is today, how cheap Crane has been, and how Boras is his agent, I give it 3-5 years before Jose plays somewhere else.

I'll still love him though unless he wears pinstripes

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I think holding onto Springer is more likely than Correa. Correa and Boras already said they had no intention of signing anything long term. Now, granted, there really wasn't any incentive for him to do that at the time, but I really think Correa in Dodgers blue or Boston red is an inevitability. Keuchel is also likely to leave. I think you can only hold onto Springer, Bregman, and maybe Altuve through his prime unless Crane opens those pockets.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Intruder posted:

Shocked there's been no request for Reddick in a Ric Flair robe despite his poor showing in the ALCS and WS

I’m almost certain someone did

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Rangers claimed Centeno off waivers. I wonder if those Lucroy rumors hold any water. Gattis DH, McCann/Lucroy catching, Stassi filling in for injuries/days off.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

TheChirurgeon posted:

DONE!

You may use this as your avatar on the condition that the text that goes with it says "MENTALLY DEFEATED" :)

HECK YES

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Edward Mass posted:

Has anyone received their Sports Illustrated re-print of the 2014 issue? I just got charged for it.

Nope, and I haven’t received my order from the Chronicle either.

• Locked thread