Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

For The Perfect Fruit 'n' Kaman

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Fill with pineapple juice
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice
2005 was still awesome because the last game in Busch Stadium 2 featured Roy Oswalt dominating the Cards and the Astros celebrating an NL Pennant win.

Too bad we had to sacrifice Brad Lidge for that moment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice
The Astros are 44-19 and their SP situation is nearly as bad as the Mariners right now.

Please don't be dead, Dallas.

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice
I doubt the Astros re-sign Maybin. He was just there to fill Marisnick's role who missed the post-season with thumb surgery.

Also, If avs are still available, I'll take a Josh Reddick wrestling themed one.

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice
My favorite Astros memory was being at Game 5 of the 2017 World Series.

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice

Intruder posted:

Shocked there's been no request for Reddick in a Ric Flair robe despite his poor showing in the ALCS and WS

I did, and I’m waiting patiently.

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice
If Gerrit Cole turns out even as well as Charlie Morton, that's a steal for the Astros. Musgrove and Feliz could be good starters, but they're too inconsistent right now, and Moran has no chance of staying on the major league roster as long as Bregman is alive. Bullpen depth will need to be addressed at some point, but you added a quality starter while keeping better prospects at every position they traded (Martes, Whitley, White)

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice
Feliz is the ultimate "great stuff, no command" type pitcher. Maybe a different coach could fix that, but he's been back and forth through the Astros system to no avail.

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice
Marwin will be playing first on opening day with Yuli suspended.

I think they'll roll with him in left quite a bit, since he's proven himself to be too good to leave out of the lineup, and that's just where the main opening is. Jake Marisnick will be out there a lot too (or Reddick with Jake in center and Springer in right) as Marwin is making his rounds on the infield to give guys days off. Derek Fisher will be sprinkled in too.

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice
I'm not down on Fisher long-term, the Astros just have a really good team and there isn't room for him as an everyday player right now. Not only does he not have the ceiling of someone like George Springer, he has the added disadvantage of the team not being in a spot where putting a rookie out there in a sink or swim situation is worth their time since they're in win now mode.

Right now, he's nowhere near as good as Marwin who absolutely should to be out there every day (or close to it). I would agree Fisher has a higher ceiling than Jake Marisnick who is probably just about at his, but even still, Jake's offensive numbers were noticeably better than Fisher's last year and playing him gives you the best defensive outfield in the league. There just isn't a lot of motivation for AJ to use Fisher as anything more than a backup for now.

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice

Intruder posted:

You ate hilariously optimistic about correa

Yeah I'd be surprised if Correa's contract isn't at least $150 million, at least assuming a similar contractual landscape post-CBA and Carlos staying healthy.

Keuchel's by far the easiest to let go of. Granted, he's not a power pitcher so his game might age well, but he's still the oldest one of the bunch by 3 years and has an injury history. Plus if you could keep that offensive core together, there won't be any shortage of solid FA pitching options year to year.

For the same reason, they should absolutely be listening to all offers for McHugh. If they could get a decent bullpen arm or prospects for him, that would be great.

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice
Is the Astros 2010-14 tank job the best in sports history? The amount of talent they have up and down the roster now is an embarrassment of riches.

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice
The Astros are 20-11 and have absolutely nothing to worry about. The starting pitching is dominant 75% of the time (the 25% are Dallas Keuchel starts and the occasional McCullers blow-up) and the offense will sort itself out. Either Derek Fisher or Jake Marisnick will remember how to hit or Kyle Tucker will be called up in June and those two will be sweating who's getting the plane ticket to Fresno. And there's no way they ignore the bullpen at the deadline again this year.

Also, we all know that Ken Giles will blow 5 or so games every year. Anyone who's watched the team the last couple of years would've known to turn the tv off when they saw a tie game with Giles warming up and Judge/Gregorius/Stanton/Sanchez coming up.

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice
The Astros scouting, management, and health/fitness team should be given a lot of credit for the pitching success. They've struck gold 3 times in the last in last year and a half buying low on pitchers with injury problems and turning them all into pitchers that would be #1s on just about any other team. Arguably, the JV and Cole trades are less impressive because they had a good body of work pre-injuries, but getting them back to absolute top form combined with the success of Charlie Morton has to be indicative that something is very right in the Astros system.

Between them and the Rockets, it's good to be a fan of competently run teams.

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice

Kirios posted:

Is anyone here still worried about the Astros? I told y'all not to panic.

I was never worried about the Astros.

We'll see how Kemp plays out in the long term, but surprisingly, the offense looks much better when the bottom of the order isn't a black hole.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice

fast cars loose anus posted:

e: also lol at scoring the winning run on a balk that AJ Hinch caught when no one else did

JV totally caught it too.

It's sad that Dallas = :fork: but I'm not sure what else we can do with him besides ride out the season with him as our #5 and push him back to the pen in the playoffs. There's no way they can ignore the bullpen at the deadline this year, though. The only thing they have going for them is that Peacock and McHugh can go long. Giles and Devo are as good as they're gonna get (which isn't good enough for a dynasty bullpen), Harris also = :fork:, Sipp and Smith are garbagemen, and Rondon has too small of a sample to put all the eggs in that basket.

That said, despite everything going "wrong" for the Stros thus far, they're on pace to win about 100 games again. This year's team slogan should be "Just get to October."

• Locked thread