Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

MrMidnight posted:

I literally love all my Houston Astros goons. I kissed my baby girl the moment the final out happened. Been waiting 35 years for this moment

28 for me. I yelled so loud I woke my son up in the next room but it was worth it.

I can't loving believe we won the World Series. I love this team so loving much

e: Also I'm officially moving Verlander into a tie with Bagwell for best all-time Astros midseason trades

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Dramatika posted:

I literally love every one of you

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Intruder posted:

This means so much more to me than the Rockets titles

The Astros are the first team I ever loved

Same. I went to so many games at the Astrodome before I ever cared about another sport

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender
Holy poo poo I'm so pumped right now. Starting tomorrow, I'm making Astros avatars. Pick a player and it's yours.

e: I'm only doing one of each, first-come, first-serve, and I'm claiming Verlander for myself.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender
Keep the requests coming! I'll get the first one done tonight after I put my son to bed.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I'll take McCann if no one else has. Otherwise, gimme Brad Peacock.

I also feel like I don't deserve to take your money after being such a turd yesterday, so you pick the av and I'll pay for it, or you pick your own av and I'll pay for that one.

No worries, I wasn't going to pay for them anyways, just draw them. Also, I was definitely a bit too sanctimonious about the fandom and deserved at least some of the poo poo tossed my way in game 6. My schtick only looks good now because we won :)

I was totally right about game 5 though and I honestly considered buying you an avatar of the Astros celebrating last night with "MENTALLY DEFEATED" written underneath it but then I was too happy to care

Baseball is loving great

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender
Talked to my uncle living in Galveston today, who went to the first Astros game at the Astrodome. He was telling me that he went to try and get a WS Champions hat at the Walmart there, only to find that they had sold out at 2am, with a line stretching three blocks. Was telling me he had heard there were stands selling them on Highway 3 and was about to go give that a shot.

My mom worked for Continental when I was growing up, and later went to work for a start-up airline named Pilot that did freight. They had a deal with the astros to charter gear for the team, which meant that we (and other employees, though there were only a dozen or so working out of IAH) would get free Astros tickets on a regular basis, but would "have" to go down to the locker rooms to pick up umps'/catchers' gear after the game and take it over to the airport (said uncle also ended up working for Pilot as well and would go to games with us). I went to somewhere around two dozen games between 89 and 91 and had a pair of baseballs signed by most of the team over that time frame that got lost when we moved to Maryland a while later (I was not happy about it). Those may have been rough years for the team but I loved going to games.

Anyways that's my Astros story.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender
Yeah of that list, only Gregerson and Maybin are real keep discussions, and even then only at the right price. Good place to be!

I wouldn't mind it if the Astros looked to add another starting pitcher, either. Keuchel/McCullers weren't particularly trustworthy this postseason.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender
Hey Astros/Texans fans, do NOT check the NFL thread right now

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Kirios posted:

gently caress yeah I love your avatars I rocked the Keenum one forever.

Edit: Nope I change my mind I want an Altuve getting all the hits.

DONE!

My goal is one per night, give or take, so think of that as the target wait time.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender
hahaha that owns

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Intruder posted:

I love my av but Correa going nuts after the Bregman walkoff would be amazing

Done!

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

PrinceRandom posted:

Gattis.
I hope it's properly sexy

DONE!

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

MrMidnight posted:

You still making those avatars TheChirurgeon? I had requested Lance McCullers but don't worry about it if you're done.

I am! It's a busy week, though, so I may not get another one done until tomorrow night. But I'm still working on them!

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender
Living in the Baltimore area left me with a small rooting interest in the Orioles and Nationals, but every year that goes by I'm more and more glad I don't have a strong emotional investment in either.

In the AL West I kind of like the A's but it's all driven by enjoying the Michael Lewis book.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

fast cars loose anus posted:

I kind of want to make a av with the trophy in it but I'd never turn down a Chirurgeon Springer av

One time when I was very young I went on a cubs scout trip to Houston; we got to go to the Astrodome field and Biggio and Bagwell talked to us. Such a long time waiting then til now.

DONE!

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Sab0921 posted:

Has anyone received orders from MLB.com yet? Still waiting on my hat and WS champs fleece (the last one is probably stupid, but don't give a gently caress).

I still haven't received the Verlander jersey I ordered, but I'm expecting it to arrive this week.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

all-Rush mixtape posted:

Keuchel, I guess.

DONE!

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

ComposerGuy posted:

Hey TheChirurgeon, just re-requesting Bregman when you get the opportunity. Thanks!

Sure. I'm doing them in order, so b0ng is next

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Intruder posted:

I think Giles is still the closer. You shore it up with a lefty arm or two and let Martes and Musgrove continue to grow as inning eaters. Maybe pick up a RH setup guy to mitigate the loss of Gregerson

I think we'll see big things from Martes in 2018

As ugly as the pen looked in the playoffs, they were still one of the better pens through the season

Yeah I'm hesitant to put too much weight on the playoff performance of the bullpen because they were so good in the regular season. I'd like to see us have a more reliable closer, but the way this team is built, I FIRMLY BELIEVE* that no lead is insurmountable for us and our bats can get us through those situations

*and will loving fight every one of you in the playoff game day threads over it

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

b0ng posted:

What I am ready to see is super smug fan of a championship team Intruder. It would be the 180 of the year

It will be followed immediately by frothing immediately disappointed by every misstep or loss and only happy with back-to-back championships Intruder

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

b0ng posted:

I would like a Morton one if it’s not too much. I loved your super Mario drawing

Done!

Next one probably the weekend after Thanksgiving

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Intruder posted:

Wow, the Astros outrighted Centeno, did not see that coming

Tough decisions, I guess. There's no way he doesn't get claimed

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

MrMidnight posted:

oops just saw that. Hmmm....McCullers then.

DONE!

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

curried lamb of God posted:

I'm Venezuelan and Altuve was already taken, so I have to go for Marwin

DONE!

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I'll take McCann if no one else has. Otherwise, gimme Brad Peacock.

I also feel like I don't deserve to take your money after being such a turd yesterday, so you pick the av and I'll pay for it, or you pick your own av and I'll pay for that one.

DONE!

You may use this as your avatar on the condition that the text that goes with it says "MENTALLY DEFEATED" :)

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

ComposerGuy posted:

Can I get Bregman?

Yes you can! DONE!

e: OK, as far as I can tell that wraps up the legit requests, or the ones that are coherent. Thus begins ROUND 2!

Sab0921, you've got first pick, though iirc you wanted Reddick as Flair, right? Please confirm.

After that, I'll take another few requests. Players only though (sorry, candide--no gloves or hills)

TheChirurgeon fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Nov 28, 2017

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Wax Dynasty posted:

I wanted Peacock, if he's still available, sorry if it wasn't clear:

It would be extra awesome to somehow show him as long suffering, being one of like three players remaining from the 2012 team.

Ah, missed that. I'll see what I can do about the suffering

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Sab0921 posted:

I'll take Reddick as Ric Flair. wooooooooooooooooooooo

I first wanted Morton, then McCann - but I guess they were already gone. I regret nothing since I was late to the game because partying on Main St after the win!

DONE!

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender
fuckin owns

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Intruder posted:

Petition to close thread, it was a success boys let's call it a day

b-b-b-but I was gonna make more avatars

I mean, not today, but probably this weekend

e: Also this

G-Hawk posted:

counterpoint: during all seasons in which this thread was open, the astros won a world series, and vice versa. It has to stay open, forever

at the very least the thread should stay open until the Rockets don't win a championship, just so we know for sure

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender
That Gerrit Cole trade is the kind of pie-in-the-sky, doesn't-hurt-us-at-all, why-would-they-do-that trade that you see superfans on team forums post as hypothetical trades except this one was real

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

fast cars loose anus posted:

I have watched this something like 100 times and the thing I love every time is the air getting sucked out of the building. The crowd reaction is an all-time "oh poo poo."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5bPVZdoOFxI

I never get sick of watching games from this series. My favorite moment is still Springer hitting the fireworks, though. It's just so loving perfect

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender
it's nuts to think that this team is probably going to be better than it was last year. Whether that means we'll have success again, I have no idea but man is it a good feeling going into the 2018 season

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Kirios posted:

This is peak Astros - enjoy it while it lasts friends.

My body is ready

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Things are coming together too well and I’m just waiting for some kind of karmic retribution in the form of a season ending Altuve/Verlander injury.

I’m still not used to a team I like succeeding.

There's still plenty to worry about; the Yankees will be better than last year, too

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

nice

And I agree, it does feel cheap

Another sign that we're in hellmarket, bound for a strike

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Kirios posted:

If you had to lose one (Because we very likely will):

Altuve
Correa
Springer
Keuchel
Bregman

Who do you let walk in order to pay the other four (Assuming someone like Gonzalez is long gone)?

Probably Keuchel, since he's 30 and he's been wildly inconsistent over the past few years. I have a hard time seeing him as a legitimate ace

but I may also be undervaluing him

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Apparently the new slogan for this season is “Never Settle”, which seems... odd? I get the sentiment, we want more rings, but surely something like “Defend the throne” would have been better?

I think it's meant to address the "well, we finally won one, so I can die happy" crowd, so I'm on board with it. Or in other words "why settle for one? There's nothing stopping Houston from becoming a franchise like the Yankees or Red Sox"

e: Except with more likable fans, obviously

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Edward Mass posted:

90% sure we’ll be insufferable if we win 3 World Series in a row.

yeah well who wouldn't be

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Edward Mass posted:

Make “Let’s Get Insufferable” this year’s motto, imo

:yeah:

• Locked thread