Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.
Guys - we're hosed. No one listened to Paul Wall and some rappers made a song about the 'Stros - wrap it up, this poo poo is done.

https://www.facebook.com/975Houston/videos/1504842112942472/?hc_ref=ARS03nQd3zpX-9-wUAtU4fRf7PAKXSudV1NnTNDuM3iqpqRq6vrelP7BC0WnZUvMENI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.
This is fun - the Astros are cool.

https://sports790.iheart.com/content/2017-10-22-steve-sparks-alcs-clubhouse-audio/

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

ComposerGuy posted:

I'm really excited about this guys.

My marriage is probably about to be over, a bombshell my wife dropped on me last week from nowhere, and right now this playoff run is really holding me up.

Even if we lose, I'm just happy we're here.

I know that's a bit much to be sharing on our dead comedy forum, but following along and posting with my goon Astro buddies is really going to help. You're all great and our team is cool and good.

Sorry bro - send me a PM and come watch the game with some random dudes tonight, take your mind off poo poo around people who don't know you and will never ask a thing.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

Intruder posted:

Please change thread title to "the hits have stopped coming"

Yesterday was expected. The bats returned in Games 6 & 7 and they will come back again. Kershaw just did Kershaw things yesterday. If Keuchel goes outside to Turner on that pitch, we're staring at 1-1 until forever.

Either way, the Astros making it this far has been amazing.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

Intruder posted:

Excuses like "It's Kershaw, what can you do?" work in the regular season but if you want to win a championship you eventually have to get to guys who aren't normally gotten to. See: the Yankees and Dodgers getting to Keuchel

If we just wait around for the weak link in the Dodgers rotation then welp we're hosed because there really isn't one. This is a "historically great offense" and they should be able to get hits even against the best pitchers at least some of the time

It's a seven game series, I'm not flussed about losing one game on the road against the best pitcher of this generation. It's not like Keuchel pitched poorly, they just punished his mistakes. When Kershaw made a mistake (singular, because he did it once), Bregman launched it deep. I'll be worried if we lose tonight with Verlander pitching and have to come back to Houston and win two with McCullers and Morton, but for now we pitched well, defense played well, we just need to get back into a rhythm at the plate. It's not like Rich Hill murdered the Astros when he was in Oakland.

As far as changes that need to be made, I think we have to put Bregman and Yuli at 1&2 and move Springer back to 5 or 6 - he is lost up there right now (and was throughout the Yankees series as well). He's hurting the team when the leadoff guy is basically Adam Everett up there. Also, we need Gattis' bat. Hinch has to get his mind around the double switch. When McCann was up in the 7th, Gattis should have gone in at that point and caught the remainder of the game.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

I LOVE EVERYONE. My Houston Strong Astros shirt is undefeated in the playoffs. Didn't wear it to the bar yesterday, wore the ALCS champ shirt instead. Yesterday is on me, apologies.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

Intruder posted:

Despite my pessimism I love the Astros and I'm very happy when they win

We love you too internet stranger. Pessimism is ingrained in Houston sports fans despite the clutch city Rockets on account of the last 23 years. Those who don't get it will never understand.

Edit: I mean a loving laser from Bregman bounced off a dude's loving head straight to the other fielder to prevent runs from scoring. That's the most Houston poo poo that's ever happened.

Sab0921 fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Oct 26, 2017

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

There is a World Series game downtown tonight.

I have not been this excited for a sporting event since the UT-USC Rose Bowl.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

Yuli turned us from the fun-loving awesome dinger hitting Stros helping to life a city after a disaster to basically Chief Wahoo and the Redskins.

God dammit Yuli.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

Intruder posted:

If the Astros go 0-5 to start the season in part because of lackluster 1B play, god help me Yuli :argh:

Mostly worried about this becoming an issue for the team now and the Astros facing the same fate as the Indians (2016), Royals (2014) and Cardinals (2013) had with their 2-1 world series leads

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

It's 3 AM and I can't sleep. What the gently caress was that.

That was some crazy juiced ball poo poo.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

I cannot focus on anything today. This series is too much of an emotional roller coaster. Game 5 was absolutely draining, I still have not caught up on sleep.

Love these Astros, Love this season. I'm ready to get off this wild World Series ride.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

BRO - GIVE ME A MOTHERFUCKIN CHARLIE MORTON AVATAR - WHAT A loving BOSS MOTHERFUCKER.

LETS GO ASTROS, JUST GOT BACK FROM DOWNTOWN. LOVE THIS CITY, LOVE EVERYONE HERE.

gently caress HARVEY

gently caress HURRICANES

HOUSTON IS loving AWESOME. I LOVE EVERYONE HERE AND EVERYWHERE. THE ASTROS WON A loving WORLD SERIES HOLY MOTHERFUCKING poo poo.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

Kirios posted:

I don't have it yet but it's how I was able to place the order. If you want to wait I'll let you know... but gently caress those ebay prices. I just want the cover not the entire magazine.

GONNA ORDER THE poo poo OUT OF IT EBAY OR NOT.gently caress YEAH, ASTROS.

WILL FRAME EACH OF THE TOWELS AND CLAPPERS THAT CAME WITH ATTENDING THE GAMES.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

Intruder gotta eat the poo poo out of some disgusting was 50s food. gently caress yes

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

Blitz7x posted:

Lmao at the two hour wait in line at Academy today

No line at Minute Maid.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

Sab0921 posted:

No line at Minute Maid.

LOL HUGE loving LINE AT MINUTE MAID.

Orbit is out there and like 20 TV cameras. Go stros.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

Big Mean Jerk posted:

My heart wants championship gear but my brain says to order it and wait

I just want to be surrounded by all the people loving the Astros all the time. Main St. last night was loving amazing.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Friday is an unofficial holiday, every downtown office is going to be a ghost town

Corporate Service Industry is the worst industry. We are most definitely not closed and most definitely busy as gently caress. I need a gig in-house.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

Im super excited for my Charlie Morton av.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

For some reason I can't find the link to Sparks' drunken clubhouse interviews from yesterday. Does anyone have it?

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

I work downtown and will be watching on TV. Can't gently caress with that mess.

Here is an awesome video of Bregman realizing on Wednesday night that Verlander is with the team for 2 more years. This team is the best! THE BEST!

https://streamable.com/enve1

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

Intruder posted:

Bregman is cool

He should be here forever with Altuve, Springer and Correa until they're old and broken down and causing us to lose all the time

https://twitter.com/HunterAtkins35/status/926494903764508672

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I can't even find one anywhere. I went to ten different gas stations and book shops.

Did the old school thing of being a daily subscriber to the Chronicle. Was delivered to my doorstep.

Wondering what I should include in a frame.

I went to 5 playoff games, have 3 towels and 2 clappers (I think I lost some of the ticket stubs). I have the ALDS, ALCS and World Series newspaper headlines. I have this Houston Strong shirt that went 11-1 in the playoffs. gently caress THIS TEAM AND THISPLAYOFF RUN WAS AWESOME.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I took Kirios' lead and ordered the heavy stock versions off the Chron website. I think I'll frame those with the rally towel and maybe my tickets? I wish I had real stub style tickets instead of these printouts.

Same - I think only season ticket holders got real tickets. The only real tickets I have are for ALCS Game 2 because they're from a season ticket holder.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

Intruder posted:

Why are they doing the anthem at the victory rally?

Because patriotism is now a stupid dick waving contest about how much you love and respect the national anthem and military - so basically Republicans. Glad the crowd booed the gently caress out of Greg Abbott and Dan Patrick (they also booed the gently caress out of Sheila Jackson Lee).

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1OSV4y1vJ7E

Musgrove catches a beer from a parking garage and chugs it. Go Stros.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

Intruder posted:

George Springer's WS line was amazing. .379/.471/1.000

Let me check Sir Barrold of Bonds

.471/.700/1.294

:stare::stare::stare::stare::stare:

What's Springer's line if you remove his 4 K game 1?

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

Intruder posted:

Barrold still better

It becomes .440/.533/1.160

Roid Bonds is loving insane and the unquestionably the GOAT.

There are probably beer league softball players who cant touch his 2004 OPS in Major League Baseball -1.422 across a season of MLB.

However, this is the Astro Lounge, where 1.201 is the only number to beat. Bagwell's OPS in 1994.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

Intruder posted:

The number to meet or beat is one ring, which Barrold failed to do :smug:

Judge not lest ye be judged.

Our saviors Jeffery Robert Bagwell and Craig Alan Biggio ended their careers of service to our great city with no rings. The Giants have won many rings in the post-Barrold era.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

Intruder posted:

I hated the Bagwell trade when I was younger because Glenn "The Big Bopper" Davis was my favorite Astro

Davis would be traded for Steve Finley, Pete Harnisch and Curt Schilling

Bagwell giveth and taketh away. He took away your favorite player, but gave us a future. However, is it Bagwell that is ultimately responsible for Schilling's current position as a MAGA twitter troll? Had Bagwell been bad, Davis doesn't get Wally Pipp'd, Schilling never comes to Houston and never exposed to the 1992 RNC in the Astrodome which I have just made up to be Schilling's first exposure to right wing politics?

My Bagwell story is that he bought our table a bottle of champagne at Hugo's once. I got him to autograph it. He made a crack about how only dudes my age come up to him and never women. That bottle is still displayed very prominently in my house. Jeff Bagwell is awesome.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

Sab0921 posted:

As far as changes that need to be made, I think we have to put Bregman and Yuli at 1&2 and move Springer back to 5 or 6 - he is lost up there right now (and was throughout the Yankees series as well). He's hurting the team when the leadoff guy is basically Adam Everett up there. Also, we need Gattis' bat. Hinch has to get his mind around the double switch. When McCann was up in the 7th, Gattis should have gone in at that point and caught the remainder of the game.

Deepest apologies Mr. Springer, I will never doubt you again.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

In my drunken exuberance after reading this thread at 3 am after coming back from Main St. I apparently requested a Charlie Morton avatar that had already been claimed. For that action, I deeply apologize. b0ng, and all other Astro-posters, I am ashamed of my actions and will use this as a learning experience moving forward.

That being said, I still want a cool 'Stros World Series av! So, to the extent any Astro is not claimed, I'll take em. Maybe Brian McCann as the baseball fun police. My wife decided Brian McCann was her favorite player through the postseason because of his soothing skills with pitchers. She brought a "Yes we McCann" poster to the parade and everything.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

Favorite Astro Memories!

I used to work for the city and went to some Astros and Parks & Rec thing in 2010 for a new little league field. Annise Parker was there to give a speech and threw out a first pitch on the little league field to Wandy Rodriguez. She nailed it and then told Wandy it was a better pitch than anything he had thrown that season.

It owned.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

Imasalmon posted:

Mostly spending time with my Granny watching baseball. I also have bittersweet memories of being at the dome with my parents. It's one of my earliest memories. We were in the upper deck, first base side, and Jose Cruz came up to bat. I remember running down the stairs to the rail yelling, "CRUUUUUZ!" and looking back at my dad smiling, then running back to them and hugging my mom after Cheo got a hit. It was the last birthday I ever got to spend with them before they died.

Oh my god dude. :(

Go Astros! Glad they are a point of happy memories for you.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

Intruder posted:

Getting in and out of the dome parking lot was a nightmare compared to dealing with downtown

Agreed - Downtown ballpark is awesome.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

The Mets - my dad moved to New York from India in 1968 right before the the 1969 miracle Mets and he still talks about that poo poo all the time.

On a sidenote, I'm at a conference in Austin right now. I have seen infinity Astros shirts/hats etc.. and zero Longhorns anything. This owns. I love having bandwagon fans.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

Y'all - I need a fix. Please post some Astros playoff highlight videos. I'm in dire need.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

Everyone should listen to this at least once a day.

https://sports790.iheart.com/featured/the-josh-innes-show/content/2017-11-02-steve-sparks-world-series-clubhouse-celebration/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

It's good that they de-modded you. In my head, this home run was still on its way up and hit the glass. After watching (for the first time in 12 years - I never once saw a highlight of this and the only time I've ever seen it was at the drat ballpark), it's good to know Springer's game 5 bomb was harder hit than this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFNS0xIBv3c

• Locked thread