Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
Ok, follow me here. You rate "Gamera vs What the fuckever," as 5 stars, the movie Se7en as 4 stars and Il Postino as 1 star. Iterate a few times. Well, now there's some weird fuckin' foreign indie LGBT movie that just popped up that's a suggested 5 star movie for you, but you're like "this is some poo poo I'd never watch!" You watch it anyway and give it a 4. The system works because there's at least two other weirdos with your movie preferences out there and you've been slipping each other surprising movie suggestions that you love for months now. people get butthurt about this because it's fiddling with numbers or something.

Enjoy your thumbs. It's roughly the same thing but with less wiggle room on edge cases. The problem is that Netflix, to my memory, never explained up front that the stars were not based on actual reviews or some poo poo.

E: This is why it's also useful to rate movies you have seen before when they cross your path on Netflix. How much did you like Independence Day or Brotherhood of the Wolf even though you saw it in theaters 15 years ago or whatever?

Pvt.Scott fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Apr 21, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Improbable Lobster posted:

It's really bad to actually find stuff on Netflix that isn't some POS "original"

Those are usually funny-bad if you choose semi-wisely.

YMMV

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

get that OUT of my face posted:

don't forget about that Archer ripoff "Pacific Heat," even though it's very easy to forget

Ugh. That poo poo was rough. Made it through two episodes purely to give it a chance and I want my time back.

• Locked thread