Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Maldoror
Oct 5, 2003

by R. Guyovich
Nap Ghost
After years (since inception) of a five star rating system, Netflix pulls a Youtube and now switches to thumbs up / thumbs down.

That's cool I guess, but...

Netflix user ratings were more or less pretty reliable under the five star system.

There are thousands of devices (like TV's and Blu-ray players that are a few years old or more) that have a pre built or custom built Netflix app on them that no longer gets updated, so the new system has to work with all the existing apps which still use the five star system.

This has had the interesting effect on such apps of making really lovely movies that have long held a one star rating on Netflix (like American Poltergeist for example) to suddenly have a perfect five star rating.

I'm guessing that perhaps they translated the existing ratings as one star = thumbs down, two or more stars = thumbs up.

:master:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maldoror
Oct 5, 2003

by R. Guyovich
Nap Ghost
Even where it works, people don't like it.

http://bgr.com/2017/04/10/netflix-ratings-system-change-thumbs-up/

Bluh!

Maldoror
Oct 5, 2003

by R. Guyovich
Nap Ghost

GonSmithe posted:

The star rating is not what others gave it, it's what it thinks you will give it based on your ratings of other movies.

This is why they removed the stars, because no one knew what they were actually for.

:aaaaa:

Maldoror
Oct 5, 2003

by R. Guyovich
Nap Ghost

Falstaff posted:

I can't stand the new rating system. The star system was incredibly accurate for me (I'd rated hundreds of titles, easy), and led me to discoveries that I never would have bothered with otherwise. Based on the descriptions, I'd never have given the Lobster a second look, and It Follows? Not a chance.

Now my ratings are all skewed. Movies I love and previously rated five stars are given matches in the 60's and 70's, while others that I know I don't like (and have rated previously with one or two stars) are in the 90's. Netflix Original Adam Sandler's Sandy Wexler is somehow rated a 95...

Yeah, not a fan.

Yes, I actually get that on the website itself even, so I know it's not just my TV's old version of Netflix. Movies that were one star ever since I started watching Netflix now all of a sudden are five stars (or "98% correlation" on the website), and it's for movies like Sharknado or whatever.

Maybe I should actually give these movies a chance, maybe I really will think they're 5 stars / thumbs up! :discourse:

I did just watch Bottom of the World which is a recent addition; it showed as 5 stars and I really did think it was 4/5 stars. :p

• Locked thread