Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Swap room up on switch, code 6969

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
i havent played in like a month

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

yeah actually they will posted:

I'll be down around 7-8 est

edit:

Badass

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
should i still be in the room lol

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Lol no sorry

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Thanks to whoever it was with the ridiculous puyo stompage

Caithness
Nov 10, 2012

HEY!!!
YOU CAN SEE ME, CAN'T YOU? THEN WHY ARE YOU IGNORING ME!?
Aww man, did I miss it?

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Caithness posted:

Aww man, did I miss it?

Sorry but also not sorry since I'm sure you would have stomped me

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012
I missed it too... drat life got in the way..

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Learning perfect clears... I guess the ideal is to transition to a T spin setup if I can't get it so now I need to learn to do those right too???

The Tetris hole gets ever deeper

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
you outta learn how to Tetris fast before going super deep into tspins imo, you can get to 6000 rating online on speed alone

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
move over, Puyo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2p7eU2fXZ0Y

Caithness
Nov 10, 2012

HEY!!!
Hey who wants to Swap free play before this here tournament starts?

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Caithness posted:

Hey who wants to Swap free play before this here tournament starts?

I'll play you if I'm not too late. What's the tournament?

Caithness
Nov 10, 2012

HEY!!!
You were 16 minutes too late.

There's a weekly Swap tournament in the Puyo Discord at 9PM EST on Fridays.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Caithness posted:

You were 16 minutes too late.

There's a weekly Swap tournament in the Puyo Discord at 9PM EST on Fridays.

Puyo...Discord?

Caithness
Nov 10, 2012

HEY!!!

SeXReX posted:

If you ask around in the puyo nexus discord apparently there's a bunch of new players of all skill levels
https://discord.gg/0k41S8ARwvY2iTIQ

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
It's only swap on the first Friday of each month now, otherwise there's separate PvP/TvT brackets

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

no love for fusion...

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012
I love fusion. I have love for fusion

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
i just finished adventure mode main story

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

i loved how intense ringo got before the last battle

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Patch just dropped.

I noticed they added new ragequit penalties. I think there's some balance changes too but i cant find patch notes anywhere yet. :shrug:

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
https://twitter.com/PuyoOfficial/status/908017533285941248

the puyo discord is in a tizzy because the balance changes did nothing to fix the mixed vs matchup, and even made things worse in a few ways

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

dragon enthusiast posted:

https://twitter.com/PuyoOfficial/status/908017533285941248

the puyo discord is in a tizzy because the balance changes did nothing to fix the mixed vs matchup, and even made things worse in a few ways

I saw people bitching that it was screwing up PvP too... Can you summarize the issue so I don't have to scroll through pages of frantic Puyo emojis?

Caithness
Nov 10, 2012

HEY!!!
I don't get it, how can pvp be screwed up? Whatever new advantages one player has, the other has access to as well.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

It's a big change but adding puyo vs puyo and tetris vs tetris modes, and using separate rankings for each mode, would go a long long long way.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Caithness posted:

I don't get it, how can pvp be screwed up? Whatever new advantages one player has, the other has access to as well.

More like it changed the way it plays in a way they didn't like. Imagine if in StarCraft every single zerg vs zerg match you had to 4pool rush or die. It would still be a "balanced" matchup but pretty unfun.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Caithness posted:

I haven't checked but one possibility is that Puyo has very specific rules for "feel" (timing, etc) and cause and effect (doing a certain thing will always generate X damage, etc) and they may have messed one of those up. Tetris is the same way with the "guideline", every game is supposed to feel the same

The lack of detailed patch notes is really lame

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Caithness posted:

P-Mack posted:

I saw people bitching that it was screwing up PvP too... Can you summarize the issue so I don't have to scroll through pages of frantic Puyo emojis?

the RPS in puyo is basically speed>power>durability, the time it takes to set and pop your puyo helps maintain this balance

what vanilla PS4/Switch changed from classic puyo, and this patch appears to have changed even more, is the speed at which you can place puyo

since you can extend your chains quicker there's less incentive to make disruptive pokes, this is also the reason why puyo doesn't have quick drop by default. all you do is go for long chains

Caithness
Nov 10, 2012

HEY!!!
Oh I thought that's all puyo was in the first place. Longest (fastest) chain wins, no matter what. I guess I got that impression because this was my first puyo game.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
that's cause Puyo's only way to deal real offensive pressure to Tetris is by threatening to kill them outright lol

once you can chain really high the top of the board becomes the limiting factor so you gotta start learning how to disrupt the other player

too bad no switch puyo chronicles announcement in the direct cause the pros like it a lot, also a bunch of other modes like fever

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
puyo attacks shouldve poked holes in tetris player field instead of raising the field with a perfectly aligned well waiting for I pieces

i play in asia region and i even high ranking puyo players get destroyed in tetris vs puyo

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
there was one fun idea that the animevo TO came up with where puyo sent fusion mode garbage instead, cause that makes blocking garbage that stops things like t-spins

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

the RPS in puyo is basically speed>power>durability, the time it takes to set and pop your puyo helps maintain this balance

what vanilla PS4/Switch changed from classic puyo, and this patch appears to have changed even more, is the speed at which you can place puyo

since you can extend your chains quicker there's less incentive to make disruptive pokes, this is also the reason why puyo doesn't have quick drop by default. all you do is go for long chains

Dumb armchair game design, could speeding up how fast chains resolve help keep that balance?

Caithness
Nov 10, 2012

HEY!!!

there was one fun idea that the animevo TO came up with where puyo sent fusion mode garbage instead, cause that makes blocking garbage that stops things like t-spins

Fusion garbage without puyos on top is meaningless, because Tetris pieces make it disappear.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Caithness posted:

Fusion garbage without puyos on top is meaningless, because Tetris pieces make it disappear.

If you lock it. Once Tetris pieces lock on trash they sink through it.

You can't t-spin a piece that's sinking through fusion trash, and almost anything you use to clear it is going to end up botching your t-spin.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

P-Mack posted:

Dumb armchair game design, could speeding up how fast chains resolve help keep that balance?

probably, but it'd make the gap between low and high level play that much greater, not to mention puyo vs tetris at low levels of play gets even more oppressive

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

probably, but it'd make the gap between low and high level play that much greater, not to mention puyo vs tetris at low levels of play gets even more oppressive

Oh yeah, as a lovely Puyo player I'm definitely going to get punished even more for every split second of hesitation. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
puyo puyo tourney right now with all the strongest western players
https://www.twitch.tv/s2lsoftener

• Locked thread