Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Switch boys add me

SW-1021-4235-9639

I'm probably going to buy extra joycons for 4 player local with wife and kids. Kids think puyo is better so far and I can't say I disagree.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Local multi on the small screen is also really cool for plane/train/laying in bed situations

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

yeah actually they will posted:

anyone with this on switch interested in getting some 4 player going

Yes, a million times yes. Should be free tonight.

Swap mode is awesome and it's fun to get matched with a Japanese child who is insane at Puyo but awful at Tetris

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

In Training posted:

Is there a mode that just shuffles the mode each game? That's probably best for 4 player

I don't think so... I also wish you could randomly select Puyo or Tetris and yes I know I could just flip a coin

E: ^ I've beaten some better-than-me Puyo players with my scrubby single level 4 and 5 chains cause they get caught off guard with the timing

P-Mack fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Aug 2, 2017

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

In Training posted:

we should set a time for the 4 player Puyo...in my experience a lo of people saying yes I want to play! doesn't go anywhere unless s time gets said

Says the guy who changed his mind after literally thirty seconds yesterday...

Anyway, anything after 8 EST works for me.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

I'll join if u have room for one more

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

GGs Caithness, that was some savagery, I'm just glad I could take a couple rounds.

Might hop back on later tonite

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Tried to join but it didn't work :(

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

ggs, 20 min is more than enough getting stomped :)

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

In Training posted:

Who want sto do some 4 Man Swap tonight??

Four man swap would own I want to bring the pain with a puyo chain. Should be free after 8 EST.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Swap room up on switch, code 6969

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Lol no sorry

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Thanks to whoever it was with the ridiculous puyo stompage

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Caithness posted:

Aww man, did I miss it?

Sorry but also not sorry since I'm sure you would have stomped me

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Learning perfect clears... I guess the ideal is to transition to a T spin setup if I can't get it so now I need to learn to do those right too???

The Tetris hole gets ever deeper

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Caithness posted:

Hey who wants to Swap free play before this here tournament starts?

I'll play you if I'm not too late. What's the tournament?

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Caithness posted:

You were 16 minutes too late.

There's a weekly Swap tournament in the Puyo Discord at 9PM EST on Fridays.

Puyo...Discord?

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

no love for fusion...

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

i loved how intense ringo got before the last battle

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Patch just dropped.

I noticed they added new ragequit penalties. I think there's some balance changes too but i cant find patch notes anywhere yet. :shrug:

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

dragon enthusiast posted:

https://twitter.com/PuyoOfficial/status/908017533285941248

the puyo discord is in a tizzy because the balance changes did nothing to fix the mixed vs matchup, and even made things worse in a few ways

I saw people bitching that it was screwing up PvP too... Can you summarize the issue so I don't have to scroll through pages of frantic Puyo emojis?

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Caithness posted:

I don't get it, how can pvp be screwed up? Whatever new advantages one player has, the other has access to as well.

More like it changed the way it plays in a way they didn't like. Imagine if in StarCraft every single zerg vs zerg match you had to 4pool rush or die. It would still be a "balanced" matchup but pretty unfun.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

the RPS in puyo is basically speed>power>durability, the time it takes to set and pop your puyo helps maintain this balance

what vanilla PS4/Switch changed from classic puyo, and this patch appears to have changed even more, is the speed at which you can place puyo

since you can extend your chains quicker there's less incentive to make disruptive pokes, this is also the reason why puyo doesn't have quick drop by default. all you do is go for long chains

Dumb armchair game design, could speeding up how fast chains resolve help keep that balance?

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

probably, but it'd make the gap between low and high level play that much greater, not to mention puyo vs tetris at low levels of play gets even more oppressive

Oh yeah, as a lovely Puyo player I'm definitely going to get punished even more for every split second of hesitation. :(

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Thanks! After playing and watching more I see what you guys were saying about the patch nerfing harass. I don't care for it. :-(

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Zamujasa posted:

Feels real weird beating 7000-rated players in Tetris as a 4000-rated Puyo player.

Though sometimes I can bop a 7000-rated Puyo player too, maybe nobody just expects a 5-chain rush?

You can definitely snipe dudes with unconventional timing. I do it too cause I suck at Puyo but really it's no substitute for learning actual chains st some point. Feels especially risky after the patch.

e: no evidence for this but it feels like ratings are less meaningful in general since the cap was lifted

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Supposedly the new fightcade is gonna support Puyo Puyo Tsu. Hype!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

https://youtu.be/YicWkhg7e5o

Some good games last night, here's the guide on how to do perfect clear on start if anyone was curious. Its not actually all that useful since you can't follow up quickly with a blank board and your opponent will likely send it right back. It can be fun to do in swap mode if you can combine it with enough Puyo damage for an instakill, a good player probably won't fall for it but lol when it works.

• Locked thread