Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
this thread is for discussions pertaining to one (1) french election.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

pity reply

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
did le penn win yet

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
No that's sunday away. And she might (hopefully) not win.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
people still havent picked up on my hot portmanteu

the frenchlection

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015
Clinton would have won under the french system because France doesn't apportion votes by acreage, but the legislatives would probably have hosed her presidential victory up because France takes gridlock seriously.

A Big Fuckin Hornet
Nov 1, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
melenchon v. le pen, we'll get to the bottom of this 'bernie would have won' nonsense

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
Huge surprise: Obama supports the neoliberal capitalist candidate

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

aliens do exist and they want Le Pen as their next leader

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

In a reversal of 2002, Le Pen will crush with 80+% of the vote in the runoff.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
merde

Rushi
Jun 2, 2003

by Smythe

Baloogan posted:

this thread is for discussions pertaining to one (1) french election.

don't we get three rounds of runoff posting or something

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
I'd normally feel like the OP should include current polling, but my guys is that it's going to be wrong, just like US polling vis-a-vis Trump and Brexit.

Le Pen will perform better than expected, and either outright win, or get narrowly defeated in the second round.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
c'est son tour

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

MaxxBot posted:

Huge surprise: Obama supports the neoliberal capitalist candidate

obama is cancer and he can go gently caress himself

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

i thought there were 2, like, they do 1, and then another

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Zas posted:

i thought there were 2, like, they do 1, and then another

First round of vote is tomorrow (Apr 23). Top 2 do it again May 7

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

http://www.lefigaro.fr/elections/pr...in-dimanche.php

here's a thing on the elections. it seems the first round has started as of an hour ago

quote:

Le vote pour le premier tour de la présidentielle vient de débuter à Saint-Pierre et Miquelon. C'est le premier département d'Outre-mer à voter avant la Guyane à 13 heures. Dans cette collectivité de l'Atlantique nord, près de 5000 personnes sont inscrites sur les listes électorales.

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

https://twitter.com/OdoxaSondages/status/855445880803086336

tfw ur a fascist hoping for a bounce in the polls after a terrorist attack but then trump jinxs it

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

after brexit and the us election i would be nervous to be a center left dude with a 1-2% poll advantage

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Zas posted:

after brexit and the us election i would be nervous to be a center left dude with a 1-2% poll advantage
This is only the first round.

When it gets to the second he will probably do better, if he gets through.

The nightmare scenario for the EU and really for anyone French who just wants to get on with their life not caring about politics is a JLM-Le Pen win in the first round, because you then have a choice of a euroskeptic populist left versus a euroskeptic populist hard right.

The French are extremely unhappy with all of the candidates on offer so this is like the US election all over again.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

yeah i know i just mean in the graphic he only has like a 2% advantage in the 2nd round too. i didnt check if that was some kind of poll or other projection though

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
The second round is a whole other election, so it'd be Macron or whoever else vs Le Pen (who I think people have more or less decided WILL get through - probably rightly, because there are likely a lot of shy pétainistes about). Almost the entire left except for a handful of super dumbasses will vote Macron over Le Pen in that situation, plus a lot of the centre right.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
lol if it ends up as Fillon - Le Pen though, that would be un spanner dans le works as they say, because they have mostly the same outlook in terms of being extremely French about muslims and so on but Fillon wants to sack a million public workers and extend the working week to 48 hours to reinvigorate the economy (mdr). At that point who knows who'd win, a lot of the left will not turn out.

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

Zas posted:

yeah i know i just mean in the graphic he only has like a 2% advantage in the 2nd round too. i didnt check if that was some kind of poll or other projection though

that graphic is for the first round only, the link has polling data for voting intentions in the second round as well and shows macron with a 24% lead in the Macron v. LePen scenario. Fillon and Melenchon do worse against LePen, 14% and 8% leads respectively. in the extremely unlikely event LePen fails to make the first round, Macron beats Melenchon by 20% and Fillon by 30. there's no data for Fillon v. Melenchon so if the two front runners get annihilated by a freak meteor strike it's anyone's game

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Fallen Hamprince posted:

that graphic is for the first round only, the link has polling data for voting intentions in the second round as well and shows macron with a 24% lead in the Macron v. LePen scenario. Fillon and Melenchon do worse against LePen, 14% and 8% leads respectively. in the extremely unlikely event LePen fails to make the first round, Macron beats Melenchon by 20% and Fillon by 30. there's no data for Fillon v. Melenchon so if the two front runners get annihilated by a freak meteor strike it's anyone's game

mags
May 30, 2008

I am a congenital optimist.

Fallen Hamprince posted:

Freak Meteor Strike, 2017 :france:

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

you have the most petty and specific red text on the forums

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

zegermans posted:

its awesome I'm really impressed

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

most important france election q: which of the candidates is most likely to have sex with their close relatives and kill their spouse?

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

zegermans posted:

I know, and it isn't even about anything I have personally ever said, some UKMT lurker just doles em out.

Fallen Hamprince posted:

most important france election q: which of the candidates is most likely to have sex with their close relatives and kill their spouse?
Well Macron married his teacher so probably him.

mags
May 30, 2008

Macron wins two of the "who do I vote for?" categories, and arguably the most important.

Most likely to beat Le Pen
Best Accelerationist's Choice

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

mister magpie posted:

Macron wins two of the "who do I vote for?" categories, and arguably the most important.

Most likely to beat Le Pen
Best Accelerationist's Choice

Full Accelerationism is probably Fillon, Macron is the closest to a status quo candidate in this election. Melenchon or LePen would work too depending on how horny they are for Frexit.

mags
May 30, 2008

My line of thought was that status quo was the fastest way to continue to anger the electorate

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
why would a politician campaign on firing a million voters?

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JhKA1uX2UmI

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Why are French politicians incapable of not loving things

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Baloogan posted:

this thread is for discussions pétaining to one (1) french election.
fixed

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

zegermans posted:

Why are French politicians incapable of not loving things
they gently caress in weird ways too

it's strange to me!

if it's not through a hole in a sheet like mormon jesus intended then i'm not interested!

good news though!

https://twitter.com/ByCommonConsent/status/855412298189373441

BrutalistMcDonalds has issued a correction as of 18:49 on Apr 22, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
list of good articles by conservative writers about france's political / social crisis:

+ https://www.city-journal.org/html/french-coming-apart-15125.html

+ http://www.theamericanconservative.com/articles/the-battle-for-france-french-elections-eric-zemmour/

• Locked thread