Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

in terms of police shootings i'd look at venezuela, el salvador, guatemala, honduras.

also south africa.

i.e. compare to colonial societies.
other colonial societies sure

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

The severity of police violence doesn't matter if you're evaluating the racist policies of the institution. If you're trying to tell if a police force is racist, then a disparity of outcomes in violence is pretty good. Assuming that because not that many people die means the authorities must not be that bad is how a soft police state asserts itself. Because the mortality rate is low does not mean there isn't brutalization.
yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

jBrereton posted:

other than like pakistan or israel there aren't really any places with more police shootings than the US so that's not a particularly fair measure of racism.

the big difference is can they then get away with it after, say in the states, or in pakistan, and probably israel, and places like russia china etc. but european cops are more accountable on a systemic scale

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/jacobinmag/status/959803868988235776

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Startup Nation

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

carefully leaving out the part where the unions can veto layoffs

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
just wanted to check in and ask why the thread title isn't sacré bleu

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

jBrereton posted:

other than like pakistan or israel there aren't really any places with more police shootings than the US so that's not a particularly fair measure of racism.

South American police are more psychopathic than US dude. Just watch Elite Squad.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

are we pretending this is not a thing in america?

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Plutonis posted:

South American police are more psychopathic than US dude. Just watch Elite Squad.

What if *all* American police are bad

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

french farmers are blockading the main roads into Toulouse

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

:bisonyes:

https://twitter.com/jacobinmag/status/964827982241107969

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

"hits on the history teacher"

Kurtofan has issued a correction as of 14:41 on Mar 3, 2018

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

Eox posted:

just wanted to check in and ask why the thread title isn't sacré bleu

car macron préfère les vieux dieux que le chrétienisme :shrug:

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VCcIVnFhKJg

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

whats macrons approval like these days?

Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

Among the alliance of fascists and monarchists he ran against he scores quite high.

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.
Wait there are still monarchists in France?

I figure on the fifth republic they would have gotten it out of their system

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

There's the Orleans, Bourbon and Bonapartists who all hate each other lol

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Macron is the monarchist.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Macron is the monarchist.

co-monarchist tho

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

https://d25d2506sfb94s.cloudfront.net/cumulus_uploads/document/urd8sq7riw/R%C3%A9sultats%20YouGov%20pour%20Le%20HuffPost%20(Barom%C3%A8tre)%20029%20As_Sent%20280218.pdf

30% approval, 58% disapproval for macron lol

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

i'm surprised his favorability is that high

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

get that OUT of my face posted:

i'm surprised his favorability is that high

some french voters enjoy his avant garde approach to politics where he governs as terribly as possible

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

Plutonis posted:

There's the Orleans, Bourbon and Bonapartists who all hate each other lol

is this in jest? or are modern parties somewhat analogous politically? orleans would be libs ofc

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Yossarian-22 posted:

is this in jest? or are modern parties somewhat analogous politically? orleans would be libs ofc

There are literally different factions of monarchists in French politics, and which side you take depends on which line of inbred tyrants you think is more legitimate. There's even right now, a dispute between two claimants to the head of House Bonaparte.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

seems like the heir to house bonaparte should be resolved not by lineages but by military conquest

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Shear Modulus posted:

seems like the heir to house bonaparte should be resolved not by lineages but by military conquest

Or by which one is most hated by Victor Hugo's heir.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

There are literally different factions of monarchists in French politics, and which side you take depends on which line of inbred tyrants you think is more legitimate. There's even right now, a dispute between two claimants to the head of House Bonaparte.

that's hilariously sad

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

I’m a monarchist...for jeb!!!!!

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

they should arrange some marriages to unite the claimant bloodlines and make things easier for french monarchists

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Squizzle posted:

they should arrange some marriages to unite the claimant bloodlines and make things easier for french monarchists

the french monarchy was full on men only, THROUGH men, literally not possible to unite bloodlines.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

reignonyourparade posted:

the french monarchy was full on men only, THROUGH men, literally not possible to unite bloodlines.

Does it pass by adoption?

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Squizzle posted:

I was gonna say France should try a spare Hapsburg, but I forgot all the Hapsburgs went extinct in the 18th century.

Pener Kropoopkin has issued a correction as of 06:59 on Mar 7, 2018

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

reignonyourparade posted:

gay marriage and a surrogate then

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

large adult son posted:

gay marriage and a surrogate then

it’d take a few generations of sister/cousin marriage to unite the houses, but the problem is deciding which of the three houses should come on top in the name game.

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

it’d take a few generations of sister/cousin marriage to unite the houses, but the problem is deciding which of the three houses should come on top in the name game.

it will be resolved by which. Royal head plops on top of the others in the basket

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Do it like Sony Ericsson, maybe with a hyphen. Or a portmanteau of some kind.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Bourborléanaparte

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Gesundheit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

The Swabian Gesundheits also went extinct.

• Locked thread