Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

I was gonna say France should try a spare Hapsburg, but I forgot all the Hapsburgs went extinct in the 18th century.

The last Habsburg Kaiser became a member of the European Parliament and got in a scuffle with Ian Paisley.

e: his son is just a rando philantropist https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karl_von_Habsburg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Plutonis posted:

The last Habsburg Kaiser became a member of the European Parliament and got in a scuffle with Ian Paisley.

e: his son is just a rando philantropist https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karl_von_Habsburg

The Hapsburgs who counted, the Spanish and Austrian Hapsburgs, all died of inbreeding. The guys who call themselves Hapsburgs today are some distantly related house that changed their name to Hapsburg in the late 18th century, after everyone died who would have cared.

e: https://twitter.com/chessrockwell_/status/971069225803554816

Pener Kropoopkin has issued a correction as of 16:59 on Mar 7, 2018

I Love Loosies
Jan 4, 2013

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

The Hapsburgs who counted, the Spanish and Austrian Hapsburgs, all died of inbreeding. The guys who call themselves Hapsburgs today are some distantly related house that changed their name to Hapsburg in the late 18th century, after everyone died who would have cared.

e: https://twitter.com/chessrockwell_/status/971069225803554816

Nope the Spanish branch died because of inbredding. The last 'real' Austrian Habsburg Emperor didn't had a son so he rewrote the law so is daughter Maria Theresia could take over. She married some dude and added his name to the Habsburg Name. The new line was Habsburg-Lorraine.

Ed. All the Habsburg still living are direct descende from her. Also the famous Marie Antoniett was one of her daughters

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

rewriting the law because you know the male line is about to die is like pulling up the console

I Love Loosies
Jan 4, 2013

I don't understand this analogy at all.

The point i wanted to make is that calling them only a 'distantly related' house is just wrong.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

the bonaparte dynasty should win if they cant unite, since the monarchy passed via boner parts

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

the bourbon dynasty cant because of trade war

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

throwing my hat in the ring for the bourbon fash b/c lol nothing matters i just wanna drunk till im thunk :psyduck:

I Love Loosies
Jan 4, 2013

Smash all nobility in a particle acclerator together until we find the Emperor particle

Rhukatah
Feb 26, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

rewriting the law because you know the male line is about to die is like pulling up the console

It's just a switch from absolute agnatic to agnatic-cognatic. Dude was on the throne more than long enough to get it done AND keep his ironman save.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

the age of consent is 14 in italy and germany, i believe, so france is still behind the libertarian 8-ball

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

Top City Homo posted:

it will be resolved by which. Royal head plops on top of the others in the basket

This has already been tried many times

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Dreddout posted:

This has already been tried many times

Never hurts to give it another round.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Plutonis posted:

the one good thing the habsburgs did

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

StashAugustine posted:

the one good thing the habsburgs did

One of them tried to make a peace-deal during WW1 and also wanted to ban gas attacks.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

MonsieurChoc posted:

One of them tried to make a peace-deal during WW1 and also wanted to ban gas attacks.

he was okay i guess. a coincidence that the only good ones were the last ones?

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
Happy Intl. Women's Day. May the validity of Maria Theresa's Matrolineally Habsburg Offspring be recognised on this day and all others going forward.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

get that OUT of my face posted:

the age of consent is 14 in italy and germany, i believe, so france is still behind the libertarian 8-ball

Is this a thing like in Japan where the national age is something low like that but equivalent of state law all has it higher?

White Rock
Jul 14, 2007
Creativity flows in the bored and the angry!

KomradeX posted:

Is this a thing like in Japan where the national age is something low like that but equivalent of state law all has it higher?

Nope it's just lower across Europe in general, highest age of consent in the eurozone is 16. It does prevent the whole, "18 year old sleeps with 17 year old and is now a registered sex offender" that America has. It also comes with a bunch of special clauses, like age restrictions.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ages_of_consent_in_Europe

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Reminder that Foucault, Sartre and half the french philosophers in the 70s wanted to keep the age of consent as low as possible or abolish it

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Plutonis posted:

Reminder that Sartre and half the french philosophers in the 50s to 80s wanted to keep the age of consent as low as possible

Sarte is garbage

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
still better than what the brits were doin in the seventies

I Love Loosies
Jan 4, 2013

Not sure they stopped after the seventies

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

White Rock posted:

Nope it's just lower across Europe in general, highest age of consent in the eurozone is 16. It does prevent the whole, "18 year old sleeps with 17 year old and is now a registered sex offender" that America has. It also comes with a bunch of special clauses, like age restrictions.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ages_of_consent_in_Europe

Ahh okay

I Love Loosies
Jan 4, 2013

Lol they locked Sarkozy up

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
lock him up

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

I Love Loosies posted:

Lol they locked Sarkozy up

I'm erect

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
lmao rekt

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

did he do anything specifically or is this just typical high level french politician grift

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
some gaddafy era libyan officals squealed on his 2007 election financing

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Kurtofan posted:

some gaddafy era libyan officals squealed on his 2007 election financing

I think that's what they call poetic justice.

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

acshually, sarkozy was secretly a green book fan and supported libyan self determination against amerikkkan imperialism and furthermore :words:

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
the rail union are going on strike

https://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-france-sncf/french-rail-strike-call-sets-stage-for-showdown-with-macron-idUKKCN1GR1V2

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

quote:

Opinion polls suggest Macron has substantial public support to take on the SNCF, with as many as three in four French people backing reforms.
drat, macron's beaten down the french public good

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

get that OUT of my face posted:

drat, macron's beaten down the french public good

people hate public servants, its not macron's doing

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Kurtofan posted:

people hate public servants, its not macron's doing
it's not that simple. there was a NY times article about the tension between macron and the train unions that was mostly bad, but it mentioned that railway workers used to live all across France, including small towns. that was when they had widespread support among the public. urbanization changed all that

it also said that for all of the talk about the crisis the state-owned railways are in from its debt and great benefits for its workers, it actually turned a profit last year. but it's obviously broke (in more ways than one) so macron's gonna fix it with a sledgehammer

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

The rail union is like the only good union in the UK still and they earn a good wage as a result and everyone hates them for it and because they strike fairly regularly and obviously that inconvenience a lot of people

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Jose posted:

because they strike fairly regularly and obviously that inconvenience a lot of people
that's probably another reason why the french are all for this

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

In the UK it's because they're trying to sack as many people as possible so that a train has 1 person to drive the train and check the doors are clear which obviously isn't safe or telling the drivers they're now operating all night and sucks to be you you have to deal with it instead of hiring more drivers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

it's also worth noting that France doesn't want to privatize the railways (at least not immediately) because of how much of a disaster that ended up being for Britain. but because the EU wants to open up every country to "competition" by 2019, they're probably not gonna have the final say

• Locked thread