Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
White Rock
Jul 14, 2007
Creativity flows in the bored and the angry!

jBrereton posted:

What a cowardly way to endorse Le Pen. gently caress him.

lol yes, neoliberals, centrists and anarchists should all shake hands to STOP THEM POPULISTS!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

White Rock
Jul 14, 2007
those kind of "alliances" between the established left and right to keep the populists out shows how little difference there is between them.

White Rock
Jul 14, 2007

wizard on a water slide posted:

Oh, and neolibs and anarchists should shake hands to stop fascists when they're non-white, female, or queer because it's hard to build a counter-movement when you're deported, denied the vote, or dead.

Far-Right French Presidential Candidate Marine Le Pen Has Surprising Gay Support

Turns out those groups are not as hiveminded as one would believe.

White Rock
Jul 14, 2007

jBrereton posted:

A handful of incredibly stupid white gays claim to like Le Pen for now shocker.

the demographics that "shouldn't" won't populist keeps doing just that.

White Rock
Jul 14, 2007

deadgoon posted:

if communism inevitable then why france electing fascists

Most left is busy being milquetoast centrists.

The very quick rise of Mélenchon is indication that the division is very much "populists vs centrists", with the main issue being a strong EU resentment that established parties are unable to appeal to.

White Rock
Jul 14, 2007

Kurtofan posted:

none of the left candidates this election were milquetoast centrists really, hamon was leftist, he just was very uncharimastic unfortunately

hamon is much further center compared to Mélenchon. Universal basic income, more democratic systems and the legalization of pot sounds to me like:

White Rock
Jul 14, 2007

Badger of Basra posted:

It would be a lot easier if people I disagreed with politically stopped running for office

I'd would be good if the parties which claims to represent an ideology to either represent that ideology or go gently caress off and die somewhere.

Looks like they choose the second option.

White Rock
Jul 14, 2007

Lindsey O. Graham posted:

he was literally saying ooh la la, while on a bike, and blonde

this scene is so french it's absolutely ridiculous!

It's incredibly french except it's in Sweden.

CULTURAL APPROPRIATION

White Rock
Jul 14, 2007
Eh, if you don't solve the underlying reasons that FN exists they are not gonna disappear.

See you in 2022.

White Rock
Jul 14, 2007

Yinlock posted:

as opposed to le pen who would have done both those things and also killed all brown people

Le Pen is against austerity though :confused:

White Rock
Jul 14, 2007

LinYutang posted:

A great opportunity for a charismatic leftist to step in and who am I kidding like the European left will get its poo poo together

Eh, not impossible. First established left has to finishing stabbing itself in the heart by embracing centrism, then the replacements can come. They just gotta be populists.

Podemos, Bernie, Corbyn and the Five star movement all did / are doing alright in polls.

White Rock
Jul 14, 2007

Agag posted:

This guy is a good writer, but I don't get crying about Wall Street influence and centrist cowards when you could enjoy a nazi weeping in defeat FOR ONE DAY JESUS, DAN.

If your genuinely happy that a banker with huge austerity ambitions has won then I don't know what to tell you. gently caress the poor am I right?

Your deluding yourself that Le Pen isn't coming back after Macron has failed. And then I guess it's time again to vote for the lesser of two evils. Forever and ever. Until the more "evil" wins. It's a defeatist attitude.

White Rock
Jul 14, 2007

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

Well, personally, I'm happy that chain-smoking Nazi villain got blown the gently caress out holy lol that was funny

Yeah, and I'll personally will find it hilarious when she wins 2022 against another stale technocrat. Like grab the popcorn funny, lol.

White Rock
Jul 14, 2007

Top City Homo posted:

frictionaless capital flow combined with fractured uncooperative jurisdictions means that regulating capitalism is difficult

unfortunately, globalization now means transnational, undemocratic organizations override the original mandate of nation-states (localized affinity group democracy)

the reason borders matter is because it delineates the property of the affinity group and that property is effectively power to effect change through the vote

when there were capital exchange controls, we could control capital inflow and shackle our capitalists to a locality

now that's increasingly going away and capital is international but

states are local

their reach is small

so everything is going to poo poo

Thus the drive that the portion of the populous who are losing on this agreement from that system, with the only ones providing both a explanatory world view and a promise to rectify the problems being right-wing nationalistic populists.

Pray for the death of the social democratic parties and the rise of more radical left movements.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

White Rock
Jul 14, 2007

KomradeX posted:

Is this a thing like in Japan where the national age is something low like that but equivalent of state law all has it higher?

Nope it's just lower across Europe in general, highest age of consent in the eurozone is 16. It does prevent the whole, "18 year old sleeps with 17 year old and is now a registered sex offender" that America has. It also comes with a bunch of special clauses, like age restrictions.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ages_of_consent_in_Europe

• Locked thread