Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Karl Barks posted:

my understanding is she'd have no support in the french legislature?? but i dunno what i'm talking about

Could someone who understands French elections explain to me how she's a viable candidate for the presidency despite having only a couple of people from her party in their legislature?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

jBrereton posted:

Nah that's a 2016 election myth people were all too willing to believe.
The Founding Fathers absolutely were wary of direct democracy. It's why it wasn't until the 20th century that Senators are actually elected by popular vote, instead of by state legislatures (and are elected for six year terms), why we have the electoral college instead of just the popular vote count, why we don't have a parliamentary system like the UK. They wanted to make sure that the opinion of the popular rabble was considered, but not too much.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Agag posted:

Racism is weird in that its ubiquitous but racists never seen to be able to get their policies implemented effectively. Then when they do in some limited measure it becomes an international disgrace. Like that child rape gulag Australia keeps migrants in, or Israel and... all the stuff they have going on.
A lot of people who are racist really like to think of themselves as not being racist so they're cool with crypto-racist stuff like voter ID laws in the U.S. because they can rationalize that it's solving a problem, even if that problem doesn't practically exist. As soon as it gets too out in the open though, there's an instinctive recoil among a certain subset of racists, not because they don't agree with the purpose of the law in theory, but because either they don't think of themselves as racist so cognitive dissonance hits them hard or because they don't want to be seen by the general public as racist because of the backlash or because if it's too blatant, courts will strike it down, so stuff ends up getting watered down and dog-whistled and so we have this never ending racist undercurrent that keeps popping up in so many ugly ways.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Grouchio posted:

When are votes going to be counted?

My understanding is that we'll have an announcement in 4-5 hours (sometime after 4:00 PM EST).

• Locked thread