Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015
Okay but what if Brittany secedes between now and the 7th.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015
What if Bordeaux was nuked tomorrow tho? Could Le Pen win then?

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015
He called her the candidate of globalization according to the AJE summary, which I figure might actually help shore up his chances on the left.

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015

Vox Nihili posted:

no globalist no globalist

It might work with people who think of Thatcher's endless love for strongmen like Pinochet when they think globalization.

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015

got any sevens posted:

Haha pot kettle etc

TBH she probably agrees with Pinochet's position on helicopters

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015

LinYutang posted:

Well at least now the French and British don't get to lord over the Americans how enlightened they think they are

Yer all crypto fascists waiting for the right moment

The cheeto still won and got more votes than Le Pen will get in the runoffs.

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015
I'm the people who insist all critique of high finance is antisemitic who sometimes manage to find an actual jew rather than a gentile whose name can be twisted into sounding vaguely jewish like the Rockefellers.

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015
Le Pen losing is still not much of a slap to the far right, she hadn't made the runoffs since the 07 elections.

But the french party system probably just died.

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015

Bip Roberts posted:

I wonder if any more french nazis can shoot themselves in public.

It would be hard to find someone with the ridiculous stature Venner had on the french far right. Maybe Papa Le Pen.

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015

Horseshoe theory posted:

So Macron will appoint Le Pen as Prime Minister or something?

That's when Marion Marechal somehow manages to become the leader of the plurality party in the national assembly, so probably another decade.

Also even if En Marche runs literally no one for the legislatives, he's got plenty of neolib turncoat PS guys and Sarkozy-style Republicans who are probably going to be all too happy to do a bit of cohabitation.

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015

Venom Snake posted:

American youth tend to be much more diverse

Something like half of french youth has at least one immigrant grandparent

Also the demographics argument didn't get Clinton elected and white american youth still went Trump harder so...

Agnosticnixie has issued a correction as of 00:51 on May 8, 2017

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015

hakimashou posted:

Bernie "the new ron paul" Sanders got his rear end kicked bad by hillary clinton. Corbyn just presided over one landslide loss and is set to preside over another in June, then either resign in disgrace or destroy the labour party itself.

Meanwhile, in France, centrist politics smashed the far right in a stunning and devastating blow to the mouths that repeat over and over again "centrism can't win."

Reminder that Chirac won with 80% of the vote in 02.

It's absolutely not a stunning or devastating blow. It also means that the main center right party's electors are mostly fine voting for a fascist in runoffs.

It's also completely missing the point: Macron won because everyone knows she's a nazi and most of France isn't going to pretend she's a legitimate political option for now. The US can't do that because bipartisan nonsense is culturally ingrained.

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

i kinda feel like if you were to compare the french political spectrum vs the united states one everybody but le pen would be insanely left wing and le pen would be somewhere very comfortable in the us chart zone

That would be on the same charts that consider nazism to be a centrist ideology and Bismarck a dirty commie for state interventionism?

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015

punk rebel ecks posted:

No they didn't. I literally responded to him on the next post...

I meant harder than french youth.

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

does this apply to france now too? maybe not to UK with corbyn tho

https://twitter.com/bro_pair/status/390732071536050176

The legislatives are going to be a horrendous mess so we'll see then.

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015

Kurtofan posted:

it's a real word used by real people but i never heard it in that context, only about individuals

yeah, it's usually more a way to talk about people who want to become bourgie as life goals rather than like, neighborhoods.

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015

KomradeX posted:

Good thing they didn't elect an open fascist

That's just normal, day to day France tbh.

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

yeah france being a fascistic totalitarian state is why they can't get a grip on their citizens communications and detect well armed jihadis before they shoot dozens of people every time obviously

I'm pretty sure even Hollande had military parades. This isn't actually a new thing for the french, it's a fairly old school kind of "wtf".

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015
Yes, I'm absolutely going to believe groups that have a history of spying on the left were totally going to stop violent right wing protests rather than the most likely event in a Le Pen victorious scenario, which is justified antifascist riots.

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015

lollontee posted:

Aren't like 60% of reek police golden dawn voters? burn em good and tasty imho. I'm peckish

It's less than 60 in France but still pretty drat high, FN's biggest demographics are cops and career military.

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015
France as a nation of tech bros, what could go wrong with this.

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015
They might sell to Google before the 2222 elections.

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015
Like Trudeau he realizes that he's going to be a lot more popular in the states than in his home country in 5 years.

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015
Macron turning out to be the accelerationist candidate is, somehow, not surprising. Le Pen is what's going to happen once acceleration hits in full stride unless the french left sorts itself out (it won't).

Having half my family running from yet another country in 60 years is not gonna own.

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015
To be fair saying he wants to be the closest France had to an actual legitimately elected fascist president reborn isn't that much more reassuring.

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015
"I will be a Jupiterian president, like the general whose presidency ended with mass protests, attempted coups and a couple ruinous colonial wars that the majority of the french population was against"

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015

Taintrunner posted:

i like how macron is the reasonable centrist leader of the free world, and by that i mean immediately submitting to the whims of capital

Reasonable centrism is basically enacting Fukuyama's worldview of a thousand year neoliberal reich.

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015
Beating Sarkozy and Chirac in less than two months in office is probably some kind of record?

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015

jBrereton posted:

He may beat Coty and Hollande yet!

I mean in terms of somehow managing to beat the "Smell and Noise" speech and the bullshit Sarkozy said about Africa.

Also this is incredibly unfair to Coty.

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015

jBrereton posted:

Ah I thought you meant worldwide derision-wise.

The centrists will still cling to him the way they still cling to Merkel after she voted against gay marriage, the way they still cling to Trudeau after literally everything he did. They'll be the free world to every idiot centrist for years to come because they get dazzled by the pomp, politeness and normalcy of it all and would be absolutely fine if the president was a polite piece of poo poo.

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015
"Wow, this full transcript of Le Bruit et l'Odeur 2 makes it seem tolerable to me, a reasonable centrist, much as it does with Chirac's speech"

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015
The horrible thing with Francafrique is that it's a lot like the Washington Consensus, it would probably take a seriously sharp turn left to get rid of it for good.

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015

hakimashou posted:

This thread increasingly convinces me that Macron is the right man to lead France.

The antidote to the far right isn't the far left.

Yes, centrism, famously the solution to fascism.

Remind me what was the name of the party that formed the governing coalition that propelled Hitler to power?

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015
"Chirac was a great man and a great president, who cares about a little racism here and there"

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015

The Macron fanfic is about how Macron is really doing this as a huge snub.

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015

etalian posted:

Just about every country has dossiers on foreign leaders and what strategy works best.

For Trump is trivially easy to pander to his narcissism and ego in order to get what you want.

It's how the Saudis got a $100 billion dollar US arms deal and also a blank check to destroy Qatar after successfully manipulating Trump.

The Saudis didn't need to do that much manipulating I suspect, the west has been writing Saudi Arabia blank cheques for 40 years now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015
I absolutely can.

• Locked thread